• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New info about Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Kingdom Hearts 3D

MechaX

When I think about it, I was a high school senior when Versus XIII was announced.

By the time Versus XIII is actually released in America, I probably would have passed the Bar by that point.

For better or for worse, they at least kicked XIII's development hell in the ass to get the ball rolling. Why, oh why are they not doing that here?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Nomura said that he'd like to make some sort Versus related announcement/showing this year, although he can't say when or where.
Ughh... why are they so secretive regarding this project? Anyway, hopefully it turns out to be really good.

RPGamer92

Banned
When I think about it, I was a high school senior when Versus XIII was announced.

By the time Versus XIII is actually released in America, I probably would have passed the Bar by that point.

For better or for worse, they at least kicked XIII's development hell in the ass to get the ball rolling. Why, oh why are they not doing that here?
I was in 7th grade when Versus was first announced. I'm a college freshman now.

duckroll

So I read the full interview in Famitsu. It's a 3 page interview about KH3D, with only about half of the last page being about Versus XIII. Most of the information is about KH3D, and should be pretty interesting to KH fans.

He mentions that for the opening movie, the top screen will be a Visualworks CG movie, while the bottom screen will be traditional 2D animation of Mickey's silhouette moving around. The concept is inspired by Mickey's antics in Sorcerer's Apprentice, so what he does on the bottom screen will influence what the opening movie shows on the top screen. Sounds like a cool concept.

Another thing which hasn't been mention before is the ad-hoc communication functions of KH3D. Nomura says that you will be able to use the Dream Eaters you have collected and grown to challenge other players' Dream Eaters. The combat will not be using the normal game's battle system, but instead something new and different in the form of a minigame of some sort.

There are various other bits of info, but those are the ones I felt were more interesting and important.

Ughh... why are they so secretive regarding this project? Anyway, hopefully it turns out to be really good.

He's not really being secretive. In the interview he says that the day before he just checked on some press materials for VersusXIII, which indicates they're going to reveal more details soon. As for the major unveiling of the game to the public in an event, they have nothing planned yet. There is no event like the Jan 2011 conference planned right now, so he honestly doesn't know when they'll be showing it this year, but when they do he will not just have video footage, but it'll be playable so people can have faith in the project.

Pooya

So is it going to be 2012's big Japan release for S-E? What else do they have for this year?

in 2010 they didn't have any big release for Dec/Holidays beside The 3rd Birthday, although FFXIV probably was supposed to be the big release. I think this year is going to be similar somewhat.

jimmypython

this year is FF 25th anniversary and KH 10th anniversary. and apparently they have plans for both. there is no better reason than these for holding a 1st Dpt press conference/party this year, yet they say they won't ?!....

duckroll

this year is FF 25th anniversary and KH 10th anniversary. and apparently they have plans for both. there is no better reason than these for holding a 1st Dpt press conference/party this year, yet they say they won't ?!....

He didn't say they won't. He said there are currently no plans for one yet. Nomura isn't in the marketing or events management department of S-E.

Another thing which hasn't been mention before is the ad-hoc communication functions of KH3D. Nomura says that you will be able to use the Dream Eaters you have collected and grown to challenge other players' Dream Eaters. The combat will not be using the normal game's battle system, but instead something new and different in the form of a minigame of some sort.

So like Tin Pin from TWEWY.

Intro movie sounds cool I guess.

He mentions that for the opening movie, the top screen will be a Visualworks CG movie, while the bottom screen will be traditional 2D animation of Mickey's silhouette moving around. The concept is inspired by Mickey's antics in Sorcerer's Apprentice, so what he does on the bottom screen will influence what the opening movie shows on the top screen. Sounds like a cool concept.

Makes me sad that I've never seen The Sorcerer's Apprentice. :<

monome

Versus is a game whose development drama will not be matched in-game.

"Competing" (not necessarily RPG makers but gamers have a limited budget) AAA franchises from western companies will have pretty much seen 3 major releases during Versus development. Final fantasy, as franchise, is at an all time low.

I wonder what both devs and execs are looking to accomplish with this game?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Versus is a game whose development drama will not be matched in-game.

"Competing" (not necessarily RPG makers but gamers have a limited budget) AAA franchises from western companies will have pretty much seen 3 major releases during Versus development. Final fantasy, as franchise, is at an all time low.

I wonder what both devs and execs are looking to accomplish with this game?

Eh, SE have serious problems in organization in these last years.

duckroll

Matching Captain Schettino in skill to run a very big boat.

P.S. Hoping this doesn't offend anyone, I'm even Italian, and hearing those conversations is something hilarious and dramatic at the same time.

Are you seriously comparing the development of a videogame with a criminal act which has cost at least 11 lives so far? Really?

Kenka

Thanks god, their Western studios get the job done.

What HD game did S-E Japan launch aside The Last Remnant ?

Mpl90

Are you seriously comparing the development of a videogame with a criminal act which has cost at least 11 lives so far? Really?

Eh, I feared my joke was going too far. Editing immediatly. Sorry.

Mpl90

Nope. I am an awful person.

You really are. I watched it when I was realy young, somethin like...uhm...let's see...6 years old. Obviously, I rewatched it when I was older to "understand" it better. And I remember my HYPE for Fantasia 2000's VHS release XD

Really, a Rhapsodia in Blue themed world / scenario / thing has to happen.

pretty sure by 2014 they will finally be ready to announce when they will show actual gameplay running on PS3.. then all that's left is a couple years of development and then...

by this point i wouldn't even be sure that our children would get to see this game in final form

You mean the movie were the guy lets in ghost aliens into their city knowing that they already have problems controlling them and that these ghosts have have a tendency to grow in numbers at random. And of course these ghosts kill everyone.

And his reaction is "My god what have I done"

And the movie were scientists don't actually act like scientists.

Yeah no.

Sounds like something out of FFXIII to me.

gogogow

It sold pretty much what was shipped, and it's just going to get cheaper to make with each iteration.

Still 110k to go, but most probably expected it to do over a million. So it's dissapointing. I wonder what SE is expecting now for Versus XIII. Better rename that shit. I think it will be a disaster if Versus sold similar to XIII-2, since it's so much more expensive.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Between Versus and The Last Guardian taking 6-7 years apiece, and Konami failing completely to make their own goddam Metal Gear Raiden spin-off, I cannot facepalm enough for japanese development.

hQS0U.jpg

However, Nomura said that he'd like to make some sort Versus related announcement/showing this year, although he can't say when or where.

Seriously, what to make out of this ???

monome

Is Versus "possible" gameplay comparable to Kingdom of Amalur?
I remember news of gameplay around a selection of swords with each its gamestyle but SE is big on words and poor on implementation, and I can see them going with a rather average gameplay.
Aside the gameplay, I've grown clearly beyond the "coming of age" hero story, and I wonder how many previous FF players feel like me that a 15-20 years old protagonist is a no-no?

I really need twisted tales to make me appreciate going back in time and trying to see the world as a younger self.

However, Nomura said that he'd like to make some sort Versus related announcement/showing this year, although he can't say when or where.

Seriously, what to make out of this ???

Versus' story can only end well when he says story elements and game assets have been moved to a next-gen project, the aptly named :
Final Fantasy XIV ReVersusReVengeance

It's gameplay is probably comparable to Kingdom Hearts.

And the game is supposedly dark or something, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Mxrz

The Japanese DNF.

Still not finding myself on the hype train. The trailers seemed fairly generic, and what's been said about the plot sounds pretty Err. . . Maybe if the gameplay was a cavalcade of awesome I could see it, but all anyone knows is basically some effeminate looking guy is crushing on some foreign lady while bullet-timing some guards / getting driven around in a car while looking emo out the window. And it might have a world map.

I'm probably not in the target audience or anything, but still not sure what the appeal is based on what's been revealed.

- Square Enix won't be holding an event ala last year's January press conference this year. However, Nomura said that he'd like to make some sort Versus related announcement/showing this year, although he can't say when or where.

I understand, working is hard.

monome

It's gameplay is probably comparable to Kingdom Hearts.

And the game is supposedly dark or something, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I took the "KH gameplay" as a mean of saying it was gonna be an action RPG as SE lacked other recognizable action franchises.

KH gameplay for a big edgy HD Final Fantasy is a joke in my opinion.

What looked generic about Versus? Modern day FF? That really hasn't been done.

A japanese boys band with a brooding leader is generic. the modern day setting is tempting but tricky, it will be only as good as the story can be.

Famassu

Again, it sounds like the next time we see Versus XIII it'll be like what they did with Type-0 and its first lengthy gameplay demonstration. At that point Type-0 was only a few months away from release. If Nomura feels they are ready to do such gameplay demonstration about Versus XIII, that could say something about the state of the project.

duckroll

Again, it sounds like the next time we see Versus XIII it'll be like what they did with Type-0 and its first lengthy gameplay demonstration. At that point Type-0 was only a few months away from release. If Nomura feels they are ready to do such gameplay demonstration about Versus XIII, that could say something about the state of the project.

I don't think so. Versus is not a game where you hide something like that at the back end of a tournament stream for a B-tier game. I'm really sure they will want to have a playable unveil at E3 this year if they can. The only question is whether they're prepared for that. If they're not, it could indicate development is still troubled.

Mxrz

re the trailer: Dark blue-haired guy in dark clothes being driven around in a dark car in a dark city looking darkly out a dark window.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So do we have any idea if this is still PS3 exclusive?

I think I would be surprised if FFvs13 didn't come to 360/WiiU at this point considering how long development has been going on.

Top Bottom