• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New info about The Witcher movie. World premiere planned for 2017.

boskee

The Sean Daniel Company [SDC], an established American production company - known for ‘The Mummy’ franchise, a new adaptation of ‘Ben-Hur’, which is currently in production, or the television series ‘The Expanse’ – has become Platige Films’ official partner in the preparation of the production of a full-length feature film about Geralt the witcher, the hero of Andrzej Sapkowski’s novels. The film will be based on themes from the short stories ‘The Witcher’ and ‘Lesser Evil’ from ‘The Last Wish’ collection. Tomasz Bagiński, who had been nominated for an Oscar for his film, ‘The Cathedral’, will be the director.

Andrzej Sapkowski’s novels are conquering international fantasy book markets and his short story collection, ‘The Last Wish’, had been placed on the New York Times bestseller list. The hero created by Sapkowski, Geralt the witcher, is a monster hunter with superhuman abilities. He is a creature suspended between two worlds – the human and the magical. The Witcher saga is already being compared to the hugely popular ‘Game of Thrones’.

The film will be an introduction to the Witcher’s world and is planned to be the beginning of a series. Thania St. John, an experienced Hollywood scriptwriter, author of such television productions as ‘Grimm’, ‘Chicago Fire’ and ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’, is working on the script as well as on its film and television continuation.

The film is intended for international distribution, its world premiere is planned for 2017. Jarosław Sawko and Piotr Sikora will be the producers from Platige Films’ side and Sean Daniel and Jason Brown from the SDC’s side.

http://platige.com/en/page/659-Sdc_Work_With_Tomek_Baginski

I worried about that one before due to Baginski's involvment and the film not being CGI. Now I am terrified, because of Thania St. John and her previous work.

There's a Witcher movie coming? Cool!

Maybe then can release some DLC for the game in 2017 to create some movie buzz.

Guymelef

Hmm, could be interesting. A lot of game related movies coming out now.

Andrzej_Sapkowski_-_The_Last_Wish.jpg

Guymelef

Yeah, hopefully at least one of them won't suck.

The poster said "gaming related". Despite being based off a book series, The Witcher is also gaming related, quit acting like it isn't.

Ok, So Street Fighter V can be described as a movie related game.

Heartfyre

The poster said "gaming related". Despite being based off a book series, The Witcher is also gaming related, quit acting like it isn't.

To be fair, the article says that it's based on The Last Wish's themes and content, and doesn't even make mention of the video games at all. While many of us have our primary introduction to The Witcher through the games, this film doesn't look to be related to them at all.

Denton

This news pleased me until I saw the writer. Does not inspire much confidence. I would prefer if CDP writers wrote the script themselves.

Wait, CDP are not involved ? Wtf. I thought they bought all the transmedia rights. Especially with tomek directing I would have thought CDP must be involved.

This news pleased me until I saw the writer. Does not inspire much confidence. I would prefer if CDP writers wrote the script themselves.

Again, not a game movie. This is a movie based on the books. CDP has nothing to do with this and it should be in OT, not Gaming.

boskee

Wait, CDP are not involved ? Wtf. I thought they bought all the transmedia rights. Especially with tomek directing I would have thought CDP must be involved.

Yup, CDPR holds rights to pretty much everything The Witcher except books. As for Baginski - the last two cinematics for The Witcher 3 were made by Digic, so perhaps they're not as close as they're before?

Denton

Yup, CDPR holds rights to pretty much everything The Witcher except books. As for Baginski - the last two cinematics for The Witcher 3 were made by Digic, so perhaps they're not as close as they're before?
I thought they chose digic because platige were busy with this

now I don't know what to think

kewlmyc

Is this based on the game or is it strictly a movie based on the books?

Seems to be based on the first book for right now.

Ok, So Street Fighter V can be described as a movie related game.

Yes, because Street Fighter V totally picks up from where the movie left off. :/

Not the best analogy to be made. The Witcher games continue the story of the novels, which is why despite the movie being based off the first novel, I don't think it's silly to say the Witcher series is gaming related.

This is excited news! Hopefully they keep the scope of Geralt's adventure minimal, as he's not a man out to save the world from impending doom, but a vagabond who takes contracts to rid evil entities and monsters from settlements and kingdoms.

I believe there was a Polish TV series made already, but its storyline didn't exactly follow Geralt's relationships and adventures as depicted in the novels.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Its based on tlw so it cant be too interesting.

I would love a film series on the main saga, with flashbacks or to important moments from TLW and SoD.

Hmmm.... yeah, A movie based on The Last Wish doesn't interesting.

A movie trilogy based on the main saga (Blood of Elves to Lady of The Lake) has an excellent potential for drama, action, and heartwarming moments. Provided the studio making it don't fuck it up, of course (Then again, I don't have any faith that anyone is capable of adapting the main saga to movies without butchering it)

Polk

This is excited news! Hopefully they keep the scope of Geralt's adventure minimal, as he's not a man out to save the world from impending doom, but a vagabond who takes contracts to rid evil entities and monsters from settlements and kingdoms.

I believe there was a Polish TV series made already, but its storyline didn't exactly follow Geralt's relationships and adventures as depicted in the novels.
Let's all pretend there wasn't any tv series nor movie cut from this series.

jett

D-Member
Good luck to them. Cool that the guy responsible for the TW1 and TW2 intros is directing it. There's that, at least.

Let's all pretend there wasn't any tv series nor movie cut from this series.

Lol...it wasn't that bad (yeah, it was). I enjoyed it for what it was omitting its horrible CGI and inaccurate portrayment of Yen and Geralt's relationship.

Savitar

Can it be good? Sure. Can it be great? Sure.

Will it be....I find myself finding it hard to believe.

I want it to be but want and reality does not always go hand in hand.

Can we at least get cards for attending?

Top Bottom