• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW INFO for Punch-Out!! 2 players mode confirmed!

As no one enters in tue hype thread...
New Punch-Out!! Info.

From the Nintendo Official european webs, this info was added beacuse of the release here of Super Punch-Out!! on the virtual console.

Im making the official post right now for posting it in May, I hope no one is doing it also. Want to do it as awesome as possible :D

Summary:
-2 players mode (Little Mac vs Little Mac)
-It seems ALL the nes boxers will come back, however with all the info collected in the past months its confirmed that we will see:
  1. Glass Joe
  2. Von Kaiser
  3. King Hippo
  4. Don Flamenco
  5. Soda Popinski
  6. Super Macho Man
-13 boxers in total, there were 10 in Punch-Out!! (11 if you count Mr Dream or Mike Tyson), as I think that they will take Mr. Dream, because it had a shitty design (just a pallete swap of Mike Tyson), we are going to see 3 new characters, one of them confirmed in the box art.
-Doc Louis is confirmed
-Rings will be bigger as you pass to new circuits (You can see a pic from possibly the Major Circuit or World Circuit in the web punch-out!! banner)
-Lots of intros possibly telling the lifes of the boxers.

GB_Wii_PunchOut.jpg

19/03/2009
It's round one for Punch-Out!! for Wii It's round one for Punch-Out!! for Wii 19 March 2009 – The legendary Punch-Out!! is back with a vengeance on Wii, but this time it packs an even bigger punch! Featuring all of the well-known characters from Glass Joe to Von Kaiser, superb duck and weave action, and the addition of enhanced functionality for Wii, the game returns for another assault on Europe on 22 May 2009. After a flawless fight record on the NES and Super NES, Punch-Out!! revives the story of Little Mac as you follow his journey from up-and-coming boxer in the Bronx, NY to undisputed World champion. The game reunites the much-loved mean men of the World Video Boxing Association, who Little Mac must challenge and defeat one-by-one. The truly international line-up of characters includes all the wacky favourites from Von Kaiser, to King Hippo and tireless trainer Doc Louis.
The game brings the tactics and skills of boxing to Wii as you spot weaknesses in your opponent’s armoury – such as changes in their body position – and exploit them with your best upper cuts, hooks and jabs. However, this time the game packs even more power with bold new 3D graphics and the introduction of the motion sensing controls of the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to give a more instinctive boxing experience as you weave, bob and duck your way to the top! Punch-Out!! on Wii offers great new control opportunities, utilising both the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to let you mimic the movements of the left and right hands as you let the leather fly. Meanwhile, the “classic” control system, invites you to use the Wii Remote in a sideways position to simulate the original NES controller and gives the real retro fight feel that Punch-Out!! fans love. Punch-Out!! Will certainly bring the thrills of the big ring to Wii and will give you the chance to experience fight night in the comfort of your own living room. It’s seconds out and time for round one!

Get your gloves on and return to the ring – Punch-Out!! is making a comeback! Originally a hit on the Nintendo Entertainment System back when boxers still fought for 15 rounds, the newest installment in the series comes out swinging on Wii.

An intuitive control scheme takes you closer to the action in the ring than ever before! Unleash hooks, uppercuts and Star Punches by swinging the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, or flip your controller sideways to enjoy the classic NES control scheme.

As big-hearted Bronx brawler Little Mac, you’ll have to launch a one-man assault on the boxing world as you bid to become undisputed champ of the Minor, Major and World ranking organisations. Along the way you’ll lock horns with the likes of Glass Joe, Don Flamenco and the hard-hitting King Hippo. A total of 13 flamboyant fighters stand in your path, every one with a creative new way of trying to make sure you end up face-down on the canvas.

Thankfully, Little Mac can fight back. Armed with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, punching is a simple case of taking a swing at your opponent whilst holding different combinations of buttons. Soften them up with jabs by pressing up on the Nunchuk Control Stick when you punch, or crash home a super-charged Star Punch by holding the C or A Buttons as you let your hands go.

Of course, if you intend to master the sweet science you’ll have to learn how to hit and not get hit. Punch-Out!! calls on you to keep a close eye on your opponents and learn their attack patterns – hopefully leaving them swiping at fresh air and open to a crashing counter. If it all sounds like a lot to remember when the leather starts flying, you’ll be glad to know the game features a helpful tutorial mode to make sure you get to grips with the basics before you climb through the ropes.

Ultimately, you’ll no doubt want to make sure you’re rightfully recognised as the pound-for-pound king of the ring. Punch-Out!! includes a multiplayer mode that lets you and a friend slug it out to the bitter end. As in the single player mode, you’ll want to land punches at the right moment to build up Star Punch points that translate into almighty haymakers! Landing and dodging blows in Head-to-Head mode also builds up a Giga Mac gauge. Once full, your fighter is ready to inflict some serious damage.

Have you always thought you could have been a contender? Then get ready to rumble in the all-action Punch Out!! for Wii.

* Fight it out in Career and Exhibition modes or challenge a friend in Head-to-Head mode.
* Play using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk for a hard-hitting and immersive experience!
* Go retro by holding the Wii Remote sideways like a NES controller and pounding home punches with a simple press of the 1 and 2 Buttons.

2 players mode is one thing that is not normal in Punch-Out!! games, as it never exist, so this is a surprise.

However is not the important thing for the game, as this game is only an arcade with adventure mode, nothing more.
But thats not a bad thing, as its great. I play Punch-Out!! every year.

Also theres exhibition mode.

Cipherr

Jimmy Stav said:
You're excited because you can play multiplayer? I would expect that at the very least.

Are you joking? PO has NEVER had MP, hell freaking yeah hes excited, and I am too. I'm not sure why you would take that tone with a game that has always been 1P.

Dali

Is that official little Mac art? He looks like a male version of Bratz. Like their version of Barbie's Ken. Talk about Bad Art™.

Dali said:
Is that official little Mac art? He looks like a male version of Bratz. Like their version of Barbie's Ken. Talk about Bad Art™.

WTF are you talking about, its awesome art. Little Mac has always been a generic character, but the art for the other boxers is incredible.

i_17686.jpg

i_17687.jpg

Jimmy Stav said:
You're excited because you can play multiplayer? I would expect that at the very least.
I dont think it ever crossed my mind to have multiplayer, considering how punch-out is usually played. Hopefully this mode isnt a complete waste of time that could have been used doing something towards the single player piece.

Dali

SpacePirate Ridley said:
WTF are you talking about, its awesome art. Little Mac has always been a generic character, but the art for the other boxers is incredible.

i_17686.jpg

i_17687.jpg
The King Hippo pic sucks, but glass Joe looks pretty good. And WTF are you talking about? Lil Mack is far from a generic boxer character. He's laughably scrawny and undersized. He also has the tendency to even look out of shape and pear-shaped.

Dali said:
The King Hippo pic sucks, but glass Joe looks pretty good. And WTF are you talking about? Lil Mack is far from a generic boxer character. He's laughably scrawny and undersized. He also has the tendency to even look out of shape and pear-shaped.

I dont understand how can the King Hippo pic suck...

ccbfan

WTF only 13 total characters?

Thats less than the snes version I think (That has 16 right?)

You better be able to fight different versions with new moves like the nes one.

Also with the list like this so far

1. Glass Joe
2. Von Kaiser
3. King Hippo
4. Don Flamenco
5. Soda Popinski
6. Super Macho Man

I'm guessing they're going with a mainly homage to the nes one so the other 7 probably is

7. That japanese dude.
8. Tiger
9. Bald Bull
10. Sandman
11-13 some new character. Maybe have a bruiser brother.

ccbfan said:
WTF only 13 total characters?

Thats less than the snes version I think (That has 16 right?)

You better be able to fight different versions with new moves like the nes one.

Also with the list like this so far

1. Glass Joe
2. Von Kaiser
3. King Hippo
4. Don Flamenco
5. Soda Popinski
6. Super Macho Man

I'm guessing they're going with a mainly homage to the nes one so the other 7 probably is

7. That japanese dude.
8. Tiger
9. Bald Bull
10. Sandman
11-13 some new character. Maybe have a bruiser brother.

It seems all from the NES game are in this one (as its clearly a re-imagine from that one), plus the 3 new boxers, and one of them we ve already seen him in the boxart.
I dont think we will see Super Nes boxers.

Milabrega

Well, its 2 months to the day until its expected release (May 18th). We've only seen a short teaser of what the game may look like. Considering its being developed by the fantastic Next Level Games, hopefully we can a great multiplayer/online multiplayer mode like with Strikers Charged. Have to call into question Nintendo's promotional strategy at the moment, since there is probably a lot of people like me who are budgeting money tighter these days and its harder to set aside cash for a game where I don't have enough information/media to know whether or not I'll enjoy it.

Nekofrog

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
It seems all from the NES game are in this one (as its clearly a re-imagine from that one), plus the 3 new boxers, and one of them we ve already seen him in the boxart.
I dont think we will see Super Nes boxers.

DLC!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I can't possibly imagine how you could have a multiplayer Punch-Out!! mode that would be any good at all.

For that matter, I can't imagine how they are going to make Punch-Out!! into a "modern" game... that is, a game folks will pay $50 for these days.

DavidDayton said:
I can't possibly imagine how you could have a multiplayer Punch-Out!! mode that would be any good at all.

For that matter, I can't imagine how they are going to make Punch-Out!! into a "modern" game... that is, a game folks will pay $50 for these days.

I'm hoping that they don't! (And from the sounds of things it looks like they're not :D)

All they need to do to get a punchout multiplayer mode to work is have a splitscreen view (Probably top and bottom screens like the old Punchout arcade machines) for a VS mode. Maybe they'll have some multiplayer training exercises as well (Or even a VS race to beat up opponents :lol)

dk_

Show me new footage, Nintendo. Then we'll talk...

Puncture said:
Are you joking? PO has NEVER had MP, hell freaking yeah hes excited, and I am too. I'm not sure why you would take that tone with a game that has always been 1P.
Because it's 2009.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, I really love the artstyle. I like the way Mac looks...

suaveric

Kind of a bummer that they're bringing back every single boxer from the NES version. I would have liked to have seen a few from the SNES version along with more than 3 brand new ones. I guess as long as they all don't have the same patterns they'll essentially be new boxers anyway.

DDayton

Nuclear Muffin said:
I'm hoping that they don't! (And from the sounds of things it looks like they're not :D)
Oh, don't misunderstand me -- I think the game sounds great. However, given the nature of Punch-Out!!, I'm a tad worried the game will seem too "short" for modern audiences.

All they need to do to get a punchout multiplayer mode to work is have a splitscreen view (Probably top and bottom screens like the old Punchout arcade machines) for a VS mode. Maybe they'll have some multiplayer training exercises as well (Or even a VS race to beat up opponents :lol)

See, I could see multiplayer if it were 2 players competing against multiple boxers... but the Punch-Out!! formula/style isn't suited for "versus" play, especially if they are keeping the classic fighting controls (which they would seem to be, given classic control/wii remote support).

Oh, one more thing... with all the rumors about "videos showing the life of the boxers" -- I imagine that's a bit of a mangling of the notion of promo info / boxer stats and profiles that are shown before each match.

Ironballs

DavidDayton said:

Even if it's just a reskinning of Super Punch out, I'll be more than satisfied.

See also: Street Fighter IV

DDayton

Ironballs said:
Even if it's just a reskinning of Super Punch out, I'll be more than satisfied.

Yech... please don't hint at something like that again.

We're getting the classic NES Punch-Out!! here, not the silly SNES spin-off.

DavidDayton said:
See, I could see multiplayer if it were 2 players competing against multiple boxers... but the Punch-Out!! formula/style isn't suited for "versus" play, especially if they are keeping the classic fighting controls (which they would seem to be, given classic control/wii remote support).
This game is going to be a damn trainwreck in multiplayer if it is indeed what we think it will be. Some things just dont suit well with an extra character or vs modes...punchout is one of them. The entire founation for how the game operates would have to be reworked.

Kritz

Banned
As long as the kick ass-music makes a return, and the tight ass-gameplay is still there, this will probably be my favourite game of the year.

For the longest time, the jogging theme was my ringtone. So awesome.

abstract alien said:
This game is going to be a damn trainwreck in multiplayer if it is indeed what we think it will be. Some things just dont suit well with an extra character or vs modes...punchout is one of them. The entire founation for how the game operates would have to be reworked.

Maybe the controls would be changed somewhat for multiplayer by giving the player a way to block and dodge. For the Wiimote/Nunchuck controls we already have Wii Sports Boxing's setup and they could have the B button for block and a quick shake (Maybe multiple directions or just a simple shake) for dodge while the Wiimote is held sideways.

And for the other modes mentioned we wouldn't need to change the controls!

Nuclear Muffin said:
Maybe the controls would be changed somewhat for multiplayer by giving the player a way to block and dodge. For the Wiimote/Nunchuck controls we already have Wii Sports Boxing's setup and they could have the B button for block and a quick shake (Maybe multiple directions or just a simple shake) for dodge while the Wiimote is held sideways.

And for the other modes mentioned we wouldn't need to change the controls!
Yeah, the only way to make this work(that i can think of) would be to change it into something that isnt punchout. I mean, you COULD just do standard punchout controls, with the whole "counter punch, daze em, berserker barrage" thing...but it doesnt sound very fun at all.

Then again, i guess animal crossing sounds shitty on paper as well, and that didnt turn out bad at all :lol

Jimmy Stav said:
Considering no past Punch-Out!! has had it and it's been a series based on pattern recognition more than skilled control, I wasn't expecting it.
Dali said:
And WTF are you talking about? Lil Mack is far from a generic boxer character. He's laughably scrawny and undersized. He also has the tendency to even look out of shape and pear-shaped.
Well, he only looks really undersized on NES, due to hardware limitations.
DavidDayton said:
Always something I said in past years when people wished for a new Punch-Out!! It would seem it would either be very archaic, or not close enough to Punch-Out!! of old. Interested to see how this one goes.

aeolist

Banned
I'm seriously starting to wonder if there will be anything more to the gameplay than existed in the NES original.

turk128

thetrin said:
Man, I really love the artstyle. I like the way Mac looks...
Seriously, fuck the people who think the art is bad. Everyone's got an opinion but they're straight up factually wrong.

Dabanton

Jimmy Stav said:

First reply wins.:lol

Two player for a game like this shouldn't be bragged about it should be their from the start.
especially after wii boxing.

Dabanton said:
Two player for a game like this shouldn't be bragged about it should be their from the start.
As has been said before, previous Punch-Out!! was about responding to computer-controlled patterns more than boxing strategy. It's about as obvious for a versus mode as a rhythm game. Yes, rhythm games DO have such modes, but they accomplish it by having players simultaneously or alternately responding to the computer just as they would in single-player. But imagine a rhythm game versus mode where the second player is supposed to somehow replace the computer-controlled music and directions.

Dabanton

JoshuaJSlone said:
As has been said before, previous Punch-Out!! was about responding to computer-controlled patterns more than boxing strategy. It's about as obvious for a versus mode as a rhythm game. Yes, rhythm games DO have such modes, but they accomplish it by having players simultaneously or alternately responding to the computer just as they would in single-player. But imagine a rhythm game versus mode where the second player is supposed to somehow replace the computer-controlled music and directions.

Shows how long it's been since i've played PO.

Apologies.:D

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
DavidDayton said:

If the motion controls work well enough, it could be a very good "modern" game, even without changing the core gameplay too much.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
DavidDayton said:

If it was just wii boxing, with actual controls that worked properly (there was skill in wii boxing but it was a bit hokey) lots of stuff like the wii sports training mode, ONLINE etc then it would be awesome.

It's obviously not going to be like previous punchout where you just learn the pattern and kill. It will be more fluid and rounds will play differently surely.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
catfish said:
If it was just wii boxing, with actual controls that worked properly (there was skill in wii boxing but it was a bit hokey) lots of stuff like the wii sports training mode, ONLINE etc then it would be awesome.

It's obviously not going to be like previous punchout where you just learn the pattern and kill. It will be more fluid and rounds will play differently surely.

I think Wii Fit has better boxing controls, even if it's just you hitting a punching bag. Hopefully it will be a more advanced version of that (and supports balance board).

Masked Man

I said wow
ccbfan said:
7. That japanese dude.

:O :O :O

PISTON HONDA. Remember that name--he's my favorite. Glad to hear that he will be coming back! Just give me the art now, Nintendo. :D

And speaking of art, I'm surprised that people aren't completely digging the style. I think it's really effective in terms of capturing the flair of the original game and its SNES counterpart.

Top Bottom