Over on the Arkhamverse fan site, some members found interesting tidbits on the new Arkham game.
HUD, playable areas, progression tree
The latest issue of GamesMaster has an 'exclusive' look at the upcoming Batman Arkham game.
Obviously, we won't be writing up the entire article because for just £3.99 you can support gaming journalism (print or digital).
We will however give you a rundown of the new information:
- "The Batman of Arkham City is Batman 5.0. He will punch out a guy without looking at him knowing exactly how many teeth he's just fractured just from the feeling from his knuckles. Our Batman is version 0.9." -Ben Mattes
- expect every boss encounter to be different
- "We really believe that we've made the coolest version of Deathstroke [in any media]. He's a wonderful counterpart to Batman." -Ben Mattes
- "Making Batman scary again is important. In later years Batman becomes very much part of the institution." -Mattes
- "'Arkham Quality' is not 'this feature is kinda cool', 'Arkham Quality' is 'this feature is perfect'. If its not perfect, it doesn't too in the box." -Mattes
The article also reveals just how seriously WB Games Montreal are taking this game by delving into two of the game features that they tried out and abandoned because they didn't live up to previous Arkham games.
The first is a dynamic weather system that was designed to affect freeflow combat. The gusts of wind from the encroaching blizzard would force thugs to stand still and cover their eyes, but also make it difficult for players to control Batman. Mattes said that they cut it because it "sucks". There was no indication that the dynamic weather system was removed though, just the winds affecting freeflow.
The second idea to be cut early was some kind of robotic drone that would hunt Batman during predator missions, but the developers decided that Batman shouldn't spend the whole of the predator sections on the defensive.
Overall, the article is a great read and the demo has gone a long way to make the writers feel good about WB Montreal's ability to pull off the Arkham prequel.
They say if feels just like playing Arkham City; what do you think of Arkham Origins so far?
HUD, playable areas, progression tree
EDIT: The Hud features a Storm Indicator. The game takes place during a massive snowstorm and the indicator warns you of incoming winde blasts. This also helps to explain the absence of civilians on the streets and why they would abandon their cars, engines still running, as well as lights still on.
EDIT: The bridge is a fully playable area. There's no loading in between Old and New Gotham. You can walk from tip to tip if you wanted to in a seemless environment. So the bridge is a playable area.
EDIT: Overhauled progression tree is promised with much more emphasis placed on choosing between different branches of upgrade paths when powering up your gear.
EDIT: Overall, while it looks, feels and plays the same as Asylum and City, it's not just a reskin. WB Montreal have created a fresh new title that takes the formula created by Rocksteady and built upon it with the new Detective features fixing, what the article considers, the series only shortfall thus far.
Making Batman scaryIn a little bubble, this is GameMasters description of the Batsuit:
The ears and cape are present and correct, of course, but his armour's rather unsophisticated: a thick jumper with moulded hunks of plating pulled over the top, all joined together with rivets and elastic ribbons.
Batwing, bosses, Batman's personalityAnother bubble:
"Making Batman scary again is important," says Mattes. "In later years Batman becomes very much a part of the institution. That's not who our Batman is. Our Batman blows a hole in a wall, steps through, completely wraith-like with glowing eyes, grabs a guy and disappears before the rest can even blink. And they're like, "What was that? Was that a vampire?"
Kevin Conroy goneFrom Videogamer:
- Batman is impulsive, overconfident as he still has to encounter an opponent on par with his strength. He is clever but does not think of everything, for example when interrogating a thug he can be dominated by violence and stun the thug before getting the information he wanted. The major difficulties he will have to deal with in the game will have a strong impact on his psychology and will make him change to the more realist and stoic Batman from the previous games.
- Rupert Thorne is mentioned (as well as Falcone)
- Some of the 8 assassins will be side missions, and we will not be finished with them from the first encounter.
- Unlocking location for the Batwing is a whole side mission : an unknown hacker has jammed the radio system and Batman needs to restore it.
- New combat move : Batman can rush toward an enemy while knocking another one on his path.
- Freeze boss fight from Arkham City is the main model for Origins boss fights.
According to the South African publication, NAG, Kevin Conroy will not be reprising his role as the Dark Knight. To fit this younger version, WB Games Montreal decided to go with a new voice actor. The name of the actor wasn’t revealed.