• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New info on Batman: Arkham Origins; Kevin Conroy not reprising his role [New Screens]

Over on the Arkhamverse fan site, some members found interesting tidbits on the new Arkham game.

Link
The latest issue of GamesMaster has an 'exclusive' look at the upcoming Batman Arkham game.

Obviously, we won't be writing up the entire article because for just £3.99 you can support gaming journalism (print or digital).

We will however give you a rundown of the new information:

- "The Batman of Arkham City is Batman 5.0. He will punch out a guy without looking at him knowing exactly how many teeth he's just fractured just from the feeling from his knuckles. Our Batman is version 0.9." -Ben Mattes
- expect every boss encounter to be different
- "We really believe that we've made the coolest version of Deathstroke [in any media]. He's a wonderful counterpart to Batman." -Ben Mattes
- "Making Batman scary again is important. In later years Batman becomes very much part of the institution." -Mattes
- "'Arkham Quality' is not 'this feature is kinda cool', 'Arkham Quality' is 'this feature is perfect'. If its not perfect, it doesn't too in the box." -Mattes

The article also reveals just how seriously WB Games Montreal are taking this game by delving into two of the game features that they tried out and abandoned because they didn't live up to previous Arkham games.

The first is a dynamic weather system that was designed to affect freeflow combat. The gusts of wind from the encroaching blizzard would force thugs to stand still and cover their eyes, but also make it difficult for players to control Batman. Mattes said that they cut it because it "sucks". There was no indication that the dynamic weather system was removed though, just the winds affecting freeflow.

The second idea to be cut early was some kind of robotic drone that would hunt Batman during predator missions, but the developers decided that Batman shouldn't spend the whole of the predator sections on the defensive.

Overall, the article is a great read and the demo has gone a long way to make the writers feel good about WB Montreal's ability to pull off the Arkham prequel.

They say if feels just like playing Arkham City; what do you think of Arkham Origins so far?

HUD, playable areas, progression tree

EDIT: The Hud features a Storm Indicator. The game takes place during a massive snowstorm and the indicator warns you of incoming winde blasts. This also helps to explain the absence of civilians on the streets and why they would abandon their cars, engines still running, as well as lights still on.

EDIT: The bridge is a fully playable area. There's no loading in between Old and New Gotham. You can walk from tip to tip if you wanted to in a seemless environment. So the bridge is a playable area.

EDIT: Overhauled progression tree is promised with much more emphasis placed on choosing between different branches of upgrade paths when powering up your gear.

EDIT: Overall, while it looks, feels and plays the same as Asylum and City, it's not just a reskin. WB Montreal have created a fresh new title that takes the formula created by Rocksteady and built upon it with the new Detective features fixing, what the article considers, the series only shortfall thus far.

Batsuit

In a little bubble, this is GameMasters description of the Batsuit:

The ears and cape are present and correct, of course, but his armour's rather unsophisticated: a thick jumper with moulded hunks of plating pulled over the top, all joined together with rivets and elastic ribbons.
Making Batman scary
Another bubble:

Scaredy Bat

"Making Batman scary again is important," says Mattes. "In later years Batman becomes very much a part of the institution. That's not who our Batman is. Our Batman blows a hole in a wall, steps through, completely wraith-like with glowing eyes, grabs a guy and disappears before the rest can even blink. And they're like, "What was that? Was that a vampire?"
Batwing, bosses, Batman's personality
From Videogamer:
  • Batman is impulsive, overconfident as he still has to encounter an opponent on par with his strength. He is clever but does not think of everything, for example when interrogating a thug he can be dominated by violence and stun the thug before getting the information he wanted. The major difficulties he will have to deal with in the game will have a strong impact on his psychology and will make him change to the more realist and stoic Batman from the previous games.
  • Rupert Thorne is mentioned (as well as Falcone)
  • Some of the 8 assassins will be side missions, and we will not be finished with them from the first encounter.
  • Unlocking location for the Batwing is a whole side mission : an unknown hacker has jammed the radio system and Batman needs to restore it.
  • New combat move : Batman can rush toward an enemy while knocking another one on his path.
  • Freeze boss fight from Arkham City is the main model for Origins boss fights.
Kevin Conroy gone
According to the South African publication, NAG, Kevin Conroy will not be reprising his role as the Dark Knight. To fit this younger version, WB Games Montreal decided to go with a new voice actor. The name of the actor wasn’t revealed.

New pics:
415766_445237758900452rs7a.jpg
913898_445237512233813csz9.jpg

920965_44522131223543ubsv3.jpg
902740_44522067223550g7sen.jpg
904807_44523355223421tcsig.jpg

913697_44523744223382vzsv1.jpg
920862_44523735556716iysjz.jpg
920311_445233218900914msjq.jpg

478844_44523240890099e6sbx.jpg
465092_4452311822344436szq.jpg
920457_44522251890198pgst5.jpg

batman_arkham_origins_15.jpg
batman_arkham_origins_14.jpg
batman_arkham_origins_13.jpg

Toki767

Kevin Conroy will always be the voice of Batman in my mind. Just like Mark Hamill will always be the voice of the Joker.

Toa TAK

Banned
I wonder who the new actor will be. I'm not too upset by this because it makes sense, Conroy's voice is Batman in his prime and a bit older. I'm okay with the voice change since they're going for a younger Batman.

ReaperXL7

Oh god this is David Hayter all over again.

As much as I lovd MGS and Hayters role in that, I would say this is worse since Kevin Conroy is the only legitimate Batman imo. Similar to Mark for Joker, there just the best people to ever take on those roles.

Im really not sure who could replace them.

Pau

Makes sense. And the Arkham games (okay, more Arkham City) have such a bad story that hearing Kevin Conroy's voice is barely worth it.

I'm guessing Dini isn't writing this one.

Ocaso

Oh god this is David Hayter all over again.

Not quite. I mean, it is a younger Batman, and voices do change over time. Also, Conroy hasn't voiced Batman in some of the more recent DC animated projects like "Under the Red Hood", but the actor in that particular movie was quite competent. Not as good as Conroy, but pretty good nonetheless.

VariantX

It doesn't bother me too much, sooner or later, the actors would eventually be unable to play those roles anyway. Just hope that the next guy they get to play the character is good in his own way.

Penguin

As much as this bums me out... it does..

I remember having the disconnect in Batman Gotham Knights of Conroy doing a "younger" Batman. His voice doesn't really suit that...

Now if they got the dude from Brave and the Bold...

No Kevin Conroy makes me sad. It makes sense but still, that's Batman's voice.

Everything else sounds interesting but no Rocksteady keeps it in the 'wait and see' department for me.

megamerican

I wonder who the new actor will be. I'm not too upset by this because it makes sense, Conroy's voice is Batman in his prime and a bit older. I'm okay with the voice change since they're going for a younger Batman.

I don't understand this logic at all. How is it more realistic to have a completely different voice when the character is slightly younger?

Normally this type of stuff doesn't bother me, but Conroy is the perfect Batman voice.

The first is a dynamic weather system that was designed to affect freeflow combat. The gusts of wind from the encroaching blizzard would force thugs to stand still and cover their eyes, but also make it difficult for players to control Batman. Mattes said that they cut it because it "sucks". There was no indication that the dynamic weather system was removed though, just the winds affecting freeflow.

Disappointing they cut this, sounds like ti might have made combat that much more interesting and tactical.

The second idea to be cut early was some kind of robotic drone that would hunt Batman during predator missions, but the developers decided that Batman shouldn't spend the whole of the predator sections on the defensive.

Even more disappointing, predator missions sorely needed a difficulty boost to stop from camping on gargoyles, etc.

Glass Rebel

"'Arkham Quality' is not 'this feature is kinda cool', 'Arkham Quality' is 'this feature is perfect'. If its not perfect, it doesn't too in the box." -Mattes

but the combat...

This is open-world, right? I admit, younger Batman sounds pretty cool. I hope Warner Bros. Montreal is up to the task.

Alfredo

Eh, I'm okay with no Conroy. He is the best Batman voice, but he hasn't traditionally always been the character. Most of the good DC Original Animated Universe movies don't have Conroy as Batman, but they're still great.

I just don't want everyone to look like giant hunks of meat. That's always turned me off on the Arkham games.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm fine with it. There HAVE been other good voice performances of Batman. Jeremy Sisto, Bruce Greenwood, William Baldwin, and Ben Mckenzie all did great jobs with the role.

I'm confident they'll get someone good. To be honest, I'd like to hear another interpretation of the character.

Makes sense as he's younger. I'm warming up to the idea of this game.

But Arkham Origins is a ridiculous title. It has nothing to do with Arkham Asylum (the place)!

Also, Deathstroke
Slade Wilson
in Arrow is fucking baller, yo.

B.O.O.M

Meh batman isn't exactly a character that has a similar level of importance when it comes to voice work like the Joker, to me at least

Pau

Disappointing they cut this, sounds like ti might have made combat that much more interesting and tactical.

Even more disappointing, predator missions sorely needed a difficulty boost to stop from camping on gargoyles, etc.
Maybe I'm terrible at predator missions, but I definitely don't need a difficulty boost. :(

I'm kinda hoping that Conroy's last Batman, and Hamil's last Joker, are going to be the end all and be all greatest performance from both of them. It's a shame they aren't in this, but it's not as big of an issue, I think.

Didn't Conroy say many, many times that "this will be my last Batman appearance" but continue to appear? Maybe he's finally done after Injustice?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The premise of this game just doesn't seem to grab me as much as Arkham City did, but that was also coming hot off of the heels of Arkham Asylum. But these previews inspire a bit more confidence than the original reveal, so we'll see how it goes.

Only one choice to play Batman for this one:

tumblr_ldy0ytIl4d1qz8gt5o1_500.jpg

I'm kinda hoping that Conroy's last Batman, and Hamil's last Joker, are going to be the end all and be all greatest performance from both of them. It's a shame they aren't in this, but it's not as big of an issue, I think.

For the inevitable Dark Knight Returns/Rises game next-gen I assume.

Nemesis_

Makes sense as he's younger. I'm warming up to the idea of this game.

But Arkham Origins is a ridiculous title. It has nothing to do with Arkham Asylum (the place)!

Also, Deathstroke
Slade Wilson
in Arrow is fucking baller, yo.

I think they went with the Arkham title purely for marketing and brand recognition. :(

Rocky

Banned

Why would they need a difficulty boost to prevent 'camping'? If you feel it is too easy if you camp on a gargoyle or whatever, just don't camp on a gargoyle.

Why would anyone expect him when this is a prequel?
Because for the last 15 years anything Batman has ever said in a comic book has been said by Kevin Conroy in my head . I understand why they're doing it, and it makes perfect sense, but any Batman not voiced by Conroy is a step down for me.

tl;dr Version: Nostalgia

Though Diedrich Bader doing it instead would also be pretty good.

Pyccko

Man... I really do hope this game is alright. Aside from the envirnments, AC was basically a letdown, so I've kind of got my hopes pinned on this thing, but I'm finding it really hard to be optimistic for some reason.
I WONDER WHY

Meh. I never thought Conroy's voice fit in well with the grittier AA universe anyway. He's great in TAS but that's more of a PG/boy scout Batman.

Top Bottom