• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New info on Google Pixel 2: You're not gonna like it...

I still have my HTC One (M8 released ages ago) and I was looking forward to the Pixel 2 to upgrade...hmmmm. What should I do now?

I was looking at this, the One Plus 5 and the LG 6.

If you care about audio quality? Get a G6. It's also going to be stupidly cheap in comparison.

I have an LG V20 (same quad DAC) and it handily trumps the M8 in audio capability. Actually, wait, the American G6 doesn't feature the quad DAC hmmm.

Esqueleto

Banned
All you people complaining about the loss of a headphone jack need to get on the Bluetooth headphone bandwagon. You will never go back.

Rather buy great sounding iems at at around 100-200 range than listen to anything BT. Even the best sounding BT headphones dont compare to something like my ath-im02's

JKRMA

Banned
Disappointed. Think I will stick with my Nexus 6p a little longer. After awhile I may go the Samsung route or the Oneplus route. Really disappointed in this iPhone lite approach from Google with their Pixel. Really heard good things about the first Pixel. All I wanted more compared to Nexus 6p is better specs relative to costs(as there are great budget phones nowadays such as Motorola or OnePlus), water resistant upgrade, keep the headphone jack(fuck you to anyone that says just pay $75 more for good BT or use the dongle, not convenient, more added costs or having to carry shit, might as well say "well get dry fucked, you're still getting fucked, you don't need lube", not as comfortable for me at least). Really disappointed in Google for this.

As someone who has lived without a headphone jack for a year now with the iPhone 7. I can't say I ever gave a shit. I used the earphones that come with the phone 70% of the time. When I'm not a have a wireless headset that works great. Even if I had to use the adapter I don't think it'd bug me much considering how small it is.

I can't even grasp or wrap my head around the panic. People always fight this kind of change but iPhone sales have shown that the general public really doesn't care much about this. The only thing I think would be a bitch move by google would be to remove it and then not offer wireless earphones or usb-c earphones in the box. Because then they are just stranding you. Apple offered AirPods and boxed in lightning earbuds with every phone.

You'll be surprised how quickly it becomes a thing you don't even think about anymore. There will be a very very brief adjustment period and that's it.

As someone who has lived without a headphone jack for a year now with the iPhone 7. I can't say I ever gave a shit. I used the earphones that come with the phone 70% of the time. When I'm not a have a wireless headset that works great. Even if I had to use the adapter I don't think it'd bug me much considering how small it is.

I can't even grasp or wrap my head around the panic. People always fight this kind of change but iPhone sales have shown that the general public really doesn't care much about this. The only thing I think would be a bitch move by google would be to remove it and then not offer wireless earphones or usb-c earphones in the box. Because then they are just stranding you. Apple offered AirPods and boxed in lightning earbuds with every phone.

That's great, not everyone is like you. Not a difficult concept.

That's great, not everyone is like you. Not a difficult concept.

I don't even see it that way. This port was going to go away eventually. It's not going to be around forever. There are lots of good wireless options out there for people. And if google includes usb-c earphones in the box then it's perfectly fine for most people. If you're an audiophile or you have a headset you bought for hundreds and hundreds of dollars that you love, then just use the little 1.5 inch adapter. I just don't see it as a big deal.

This jack is going away. Google is taking a step toward the inevitable, next year more will follow, by the year after that they'll all be gone.

I agree that not everyone is like me, some people will fight change tooth and nail. It's a shame. I get some people like it and want it to stay but I think they're overthinking it. The status quo is easy for sure but change aint as bad as most make it out to be.

Admodieus

You'll be surprised how quickly it becomes a thing you don't even think about anymore. There will be a very very brief adjustment period and that's it.

I'm glad that the earbuds provided in the box fit your limited needs.

I would be slightly less upset about the removal of the headphone jack on the iPhone if it used USB-C headphones. USB-C is at least going to be adopted widely over the next few years, which means I could use those USB-C headphones (and any aftermarket ones I buy once they break or wear out) on other computing devices. Lightning headphones are absolutely useless to me. They work on one device I have. My current headphones work on every other device I have. It's a portability issue - I currently bring one pair of headphones with me all day and it works with everything I have.

Feels nice that the whole industry is going back to 2003.

H01vK6h.png

I don't even see it that way. This port was going to go away eventually. It's not going to be around forever. There are lots of good wireless options out there for people. And if google includes usb-c earphones in the box then it's perfectly fine for most people. If you're an audiophile or you have a headset you bought for hundreds and hundreds of dollars that you love, then just use the little 1.5 inch adapter. I just don't see it as a big deal.

This jack is going away. Google is taking a step toward the inevitable, next year more will follow, by the year after that they'll all be gone.

I agree that not everyone is like me, some people will fight change tooth and nail. It's a shame. I get some people like it and want it to stay but I think they're overthinking it. The status quo is easy for sure but change aint as bad as most make it out to be.

We have a system that works and works perfectly fine
That system has been taken away with no gain
The "solution" isn't any better and is either: more expensive or inconvenient.

So I have two choices, I can buy a Bluetooth headset for $300+ dollars to have a similar audio quality to my $120 wired head phones

Or I can carry around a few small dongles every where I go that have the potential to be lost or forgotten. I have to bring one simply to even have my wired headphones work and a splitter should I decide to charge my phone and listen to music at the same time.

You know what's a better solution that works for everyone? Leaving the headphone jack the fuck alone. If you want to use wired headphones, you have that option, if you want to use wireless headphones, you have that option, if you want to charge your phone AND use headphones, you have that option. And guess who it hurts? Absolutely nobody. Funny how that works huh.

Sorry I don't believe I should be walked all over by a company that wants to remove my options just because they can and what's even sadder is that people will defend it tooth and nail for mystical "improvements" that don't exist.

I'm glad that the earbuds provided in the box fit your limited needs.

I would be slightly less upset about the removal of the headphone jack on the iPhone if it used USB-C headphones. USB-C is at least going to be adopted widely over the next few years, which means I could use those USB-C headphones (and any aftermarket ones I buy once they break or wear out) on other computing devices. Lightning headphones are absolutely useless to me. They work on one device I have. My current headphones work on every other device I have. It's a portability issue - I currently bring one pair of headphones with me all day and it works with everything I have.

I won't deny there will be an adjustment period. For me it was really brief. My bluetooth headphones sound amazing and have great battery life and I'm also fine using the boxed in ones as my daily beater headset. I just think you'll figure it out much faster than you think and adjust. But yeah apple going proprietary with lightning is always going to be a hassle in the grand ecosystem but I'm pretty sure wireless is the intent/end game.

^^ I wouldn't say no gain. That new iPhone 8 design looks amazing and I'm willing to bet anything it's not possible with a headphone jack. Also you don't have to carry the tiny adapter you just leave it on your headphone wire. I'm not "defending" it as much as I'm saying it's just not that big a deal and most of the people railing against it will probably adjust quickly and then a year later it'll be like it never happened. There's always a subset that fight these types of things from apple not doing flash, to getting rid of the disk drive, etc...same stuff was said.

Anyway, no point in going back in forth. It sucks that the direction the industry is going is one you don't like, but my opinion is you'll all adjust better and quicker than you think.

I won't deny there will be an adjustment period. For me it was really brief. My bluetooth headphones sound amazing and have great battery life and I'm also fine using the boxed in ones as my daily beater headset.

I just think you'll figure it out much faster than you think and adjust. But yeah apple going proprietary with lightning is always going to be a hassle in the grand ecosystem but I'm pretty sure wireless is the intent/end game.

The thing is, your bluetooth headphones will sound shit compared to similar priced non wireless headphones. It's fine to not care about audio quality, but don't pull the "they sound amazing" card.

Edit: Also, the "don't resist change you don't like" message is a bit borked. A few years ago people were making this argument for the removal of SD card support. People resisted, and the manufacturers that had started removing them backtracked and put back in what many (including myself) consider essential functionality. Sales talk of course and ultimately we will move away from 3.5mm jacks, but I'm not looking to get on that train for at least a few more years.

It's, unfortunately for audiophiles, a 'problem' that people don't care about. People use the packed in headphones and then buy replacements when they break, what jack is uses means nothing to them. They'll have a smaller pool of phones to buy from, they'll overestimate the importance of 'sound quality' while these phones break records.

World keeps spinning.

Big Blue

Apple sheeps baas. News at 10.

It's, unfortunately for audiophiles, a 'problem' that people don't care about. People use the packed in headphones and then buy replacements when they break, what jack is uses means nothing to them. They'll have a smaller pool of phones to buy from, they'll overestimate the importance of 'sound quality' while these phones break records.

World keeps spinning.
For someone that "doesn't care" you've spent a lot of time in this thread complaining about others complaining. Almost like you care about what others think about something that directly affects them.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Guys if you care about this issue personally, you are not allowed to complain about it because the majority of iphone users don't care and because the world keeps spinning. sorry!

All you people complaining about the loss of a headphone jack need to get on the Bluetooth headphone bandwagon. You will never go back.

Have 3 pairs of bluetooth headphones, 2 are high quality. Still use my wired pair religiously.
Bluetooth headphones are shit and you all know it

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Have 3 pairs of bluetooth headphones, 2 are high quality. Still use my wired pair religiously.
Bluetooth headphones are shit and you all know it

Yeah but people still bought the iphone so that complaint is invalid right? sorry audiophiles!!

World keeps spinning.

You are right that most people don't care, but I'm not sure why you need to put 'problem' and 'sound quality' in inverted comma's like that. Do you not believe it is a problem for some and are you trying to claim that sound quality isn't... real?

You are right that most people don't care, but I'm not sure why you need to put 'problem' and 'sound quality' in inverted comma's like that. Do you not believe it is a problem for some and are you trying to claim that sound quality isn't... real?
I put 'sound quality' in quotes because enjoy my bluetooth headphones and think their 'shit quality' is overstated. I think it is absolutely a problem for some, but their language also gives the impression this is an held by anyone but themselves.

Gattsu25

Banned
I put 'sound quality' in quotes because enjoy my bluetooth headphones and think their 'shit quality' is overstated. I think it is absolutely a problem for some, but their language also gives the impression this is an held by anyone but themselves.

Hey man, someone people like listening to music on AM radio and that is a-okay. Your standards are good for you. Keep on trucking cause no one will take that away from you.

Admodieus

We have a system that works and works perfectly fine
That system has been taken away with no gain
The "solution" isn't any better and is either: more expensive or inconvenient.

So I have two choices, I can buy a Bluetooth headset for $300+ dollars to have a similar audio quality to my $120 wired head phones

Or I can carry around a few small dongles every where I go that have the potential to be lost or forgotten. I have to bring one simply to even have my wired headphones work and a splitter should I decide to charge my phone and listen to music at the same time.

You know what's a better solution that works for everyone? Leaving the headphone jack the fuck alone. If you want to use wired headphones, you have that option, if you want to use wireless headphones, you have that option, if you want to charge your phone AND use headphones, you have that option. And guess who it hurts? Absolutely nobody. Funny how that works huh.

Sorry I don't believe I should be walked all over by a company that wants to remove my options just because they can and what's even sadder is that people will defend it tooth and nail for mystical "improvements" that don't exist.

Great post. You know what doesn't matter to me? Having a phone that is thinner or lighter than the iPhone 6 model. Heck, I'd be fine with the iPhone 4/5 model as well. Keep the headphone jack in. For all of the people that love their Bluetooth headphones so much, you can keep using them.

I hope they keep updating the iPhone SE and keep the headphone jack in that model because it might be my next iPhone.

Rorschach

This quote is great when paired with your tag.

andthebeatgoeson

I used to buy replacement ear buds that came in the package. Like, you can find them on Amazon for 20 bucks or something. I liked them. For my S3.
I'm a monster. With tinnitus.

highrider

Banned
I understand. Google wants to carve out a niche for a smooth running iPhone-like android phone, I don't think they care about more niche features like higher quality audio on headphones. Nice screen, good speakers, nice camera, smooth, quick updating operating system. Bezels aren't the new hotness like the infinity screen, but if I'm honest for regular use I prefer having them. Maybe I would get used to it, but it feels weird having the whole front of the phone being a screen. The more people experience a good stock android device they will eventually head to google.

Can you recommend a good one?

Jaybird X2s if you can find them. X3s are good but need a separate power cradle just to charge it. The X2s are a little bigger but you can charge straight into it with a micro USB cable.

BeatsX and Powerbeat 3s are good too. Though the X uses lightning to charge it so it’s probably geared towards iPhone users.

Sound quality is very much a personal thing. Good bluetooth headphones sound decent to me (certainly not shit!) but they are still prohibitively expensive (relative to wired variants). This will change as the tech develops. Maybe some people really do find the sound "awful"... kind of like how some people rage against displays not being calibrated properly etc. Most people don't care, but they never really have when it comes to these things.

I think it's fine to have an extreme quality stance on pretty much anything, as long as you are realistic in recognizing it as something 95% of people don't care about and your preferences aren't going to be a big market force.

Gattsu25

Banned
Jaybird X2s if you can find them. X3s are good but need a separate power cradle just to charge it. The X2s are a little bigger but you can charge straight into it with a micro USB cable.
I have the X2s. They lose connection whenever I'm in my apartment stairwell plus randomly when I take the amtrak to work.

They also don't sound too great

People who shit on the 3.5mm jack don't get it. It's not the easiest way to listen to music nowadays but its an emergency option. You can use bluetooth 99% of the time but there is going to 1% you want to use 3.5mm jack. For example when you go on a long day hike and your BT earphones run out of battery or in a bbq you want to plug your phone into your friend's speaker.

Think of it as the backup tire on your car. Some people drive run flat tires and don't carry a backup tire at all, but most peolle do. Are you going to ditch your backup tire for google, that's the 1000 dollar question.

ronco2000

OK buddy whatever you say.

Vuze

Im sure its still going to be a good phone.
You don't understand. No headphone jack = dead in the water. You can't listen to music with wired headphones anymore. And your audiophile-grade headphones stop working as soon as you touch the phone.

Sony

Nintendo
When this thing is announced, I hope Google is mocked to the end of the world due to their blatant iPhone burn last year, focusing on the headphone jack and now removing it. Seriously wtf.

Flynn77

I thought the X5 bootlooped itself to death

I love my Nexus 6P.

Ironically for this thread the Nexus 6p Bluetooth quality is absolute garbage. :( Can't even use my headphones through one song without multiple skipping. Hopefully it's better on the pixel 2 or you're shit out of luck!

tuxfool

Banned
I have the X2s. They lose connection whenever I'm in my apartment stairwell plus randomly when I take the amtrak to work.

They also don't sound too great

I lose connection in most bluetooth headphones at some time or another. There are those that might say "You just don't have the right ones", but that goes to the crux of the issue, wired headphones just work.

Top Bottom