• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Info on PS4s Noise Level, Power Consumption, Media Performance etc

artist

Banned
007k3q43.jpg

008cxrm6.jpg
+ all of back is all vents.

Skeff

I know I've said this a few times in this thread but I feel like there are so many people who are either misinformed or purposefully spreading FUD.

Because a system had higher TFLOPS does not mean it generates more heat.

The heat generated by a system is dependent on the power consumption of the System, which is smaller than the PS3 Phat and is roughly inline with the PS3 Slim.

This isn't trickery, or witchcraft, this is a standard design at a standard size for a console with that power consumption.

DieH@rd

Banned
My 80GB PS3 definitely cranked up the fan when playing a blu-ray. It's more intensive than you might think.

Sony [in their infinite wisdom] elected that Cell should do video and audio processing for everything, blurays and games [no audio card].

But PS4 has video encoder/decoder hardware now and a dedicated sound module. Bluray playback should be much less power hungry.

potam

Banned
I'm worried that they didn't give an actual number on the noise. Lower than the PS3? That could mean anything. I have an old fat PS3, and while I realize that my setup gives it less-than-optimal airflow, that thing sounds like a fucking jet when doing anything other than Netflix.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So you're guessing that it's not the phat model they're talking about and instead they're talking about the (super)slim model?
The phat model has been out of production for a few years now and there's been two major revisions since. Wouldn't make much sense to focus on the original model.

Anko

Some other details I gleamed from the source. Should clear some things up. My translations should be fine, but I apologize if I did misunderstand anything:

• When they say "Personalised", they mean games tailored to each individual, suggestions, providing tailored information, matchmaking with similarly skilled players, etc.
  • PlayStation app will display Vita activity as well
  • Interaction with your current game through the PS app. But rather than support it as a system, it's that developers can do it if they want to. Development is easy, web based. (This is where the PS4 acts as a server comes in) Rather than have the data from web based games sent to the cloud and cloud provide the web based game, the PS4 acts as a web server instead, 1 to 1. Might change in the future to include cloud.
  • Secondary processor does not do encode/decode. There's a separate encoder/decoder. Secondary processor allocates work to it, controls the network traffic and I/O.
  • For play as you download, people are pessimistic that download time will be reduced enough to be insignificant (ain't it just going to be cut from 2 hours to 30 mins?). Itou answers saying that it's less than 30 mins. They will strive to achieve that.
  • You can start the game without fully downloading it. For example, an RPG might take a few days to actually download the entire thing. What is needed on the first day is just a small part of it. So that is prioritized and downloaded first. He thinks that it wouldn't take 30-40mins for that. Secondary processor will handle this.
  • Users cannot change the auto update time of around 1am-4am. It's an extension of the current PS+ auto update feature.
  • He doesn't think the drive is particularly noisy, just that it's noisier when compared to the PS3's drive
  • Like others have said, HDD installation will help with that. Just that the initial spin will be noisy
I don't see any comparisons to PS3 noise. I might have missed it but I don't think so?
Only comparison fan wise is the stepless linear fan speed. It changes based on power consumption, which changes based on how demanding the game is. I'm guessing they concluded that it'd be quieter based on that. Noise wise he only talked about the BD drive. I'm hoping I missed it.

While being always online is not necessary, a network connection is important to fully enjoy the features of the PS4

So when Microsoft says this, everyone goes apeshit, but Sony says it and all of you just brush it the side?

Fanboyism at its finest GAF

While being always online is not necessary, a network connection is important to fully enjoy the features of the PS4

So when Microsoft says this, everyone goes apeshit, but Sony says it and all of you just brush it the side?

Not a good post. Don't treat GAF as one individual.

What is being done here and what MS was trying to do is completely different. Take your console war elsewhere

Microsoft was online mandatory to even play games, you don't have to be online for PS4 unless you want to use online services, it's not rocket science to work out what they mean.

...how do I even respond to that

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Wow Wow Wow Wow....what an awful post.

Skeff

Oh did Microsoft say that? i thought they said my console was a brick if i didn't have an internet connection every 24 hours, where as sony says you can't use online functions if your not online.

I do not think you will last long enough to become a full member here.

rawd

Nice try, french fry

bLaiSe

I can't even hear my PS3 slim because of my laptop so noise level does not concern me a bit.
I wonder if we will still see dynamic themes. I really like them on the PS3, lets hope that's what they mean by personalization.

Bundy

Banned

What the F?
Do you even realize what the difference between the PS4 and the XBone was?

PS: Sony said the exact same sentence 1 day after the PS4 unveil.

In this GIF you are Thor and GAF is the hammer.

e1NDWMJ.gif

rawd

Some other details I gleamed from the source. Should clear some things up. My translations should be fine, but I apologize if I did misunderstand anything:

• Users cannot change the auto update time of around 1am-4am. It's an extension of the current PS+ auto update feature.

If its an extension of the current PS+ auto update feature, you CAN change the update time... I am the confusing

Anko

If its an extension of the current PS+ auto update feature, you CAN change the update time... I am the confusing

Doesn't mean they have to follow everything. I don't know why they chose to remove user settings for that. Sounds silly. Hopefully they will change that in the future through an update.

Line from the source site:
ユーザー設定はできないんですが、だいたい夜中の1時から4時の間に勝手に起動して.......

androvsky

Let's see if MS said the same thing...
http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa
No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet.
I do believe "require" and "important" are two different words. You can see how amusing the original Xbox One faq was, with it not having to be always connected in one half of a sentence, and requires internet on the other.

DieH@rd

Banned

How about you step out of this thread Junior. You obviously are not ready for grown up discussion.

Krakn3Dfx

Just because it "installs" them doesn't mean that it will never access the BD while you play. The PS3 installed games, too.

It's not the same thing this time around, the entire PS4 game is installed to the HD and the disc only needs to be in the drive for rights management.

The PS3 only installed games to the HD that required or left it as an option. ALL games on the PS4 will be completely installed to the HD.

iMf0koFP31zjw.gif

Awww, how cute. Someone makes a comment/question about how they perceive something and some of you take it as a personal attack......uh yea i guess

Oh did Microsoft say that? i thought they said my console was a brick if i didn't have an internet connection every 24 hours, where as sony says you can't use online functions if your not online.

I do not think you will last long enough to become a full member here.

Someone doesn't understand the difference between "While being always online is not necessary" and "you need to be online once every 24 hours".
Then again, when bish is right, he's right.

Come on, now.

This is what MS said after the 180. Before the 180, it was required that the console check in once a day, meaning it essentially HAD to be tethered to the Internet or it would not work. This also meant regional lock-outs by IP address, no used games .... and aaaalllll the other stuff people were upset about. Use your head.

Skilletor

Require = Mandatory
not necessary = optional

I hope that clears up the different reactions for you.

Yasir

Drop in standards around here recently. The trolling and the rage has lost its ... prestige :(

Cess007

Users cannot change the auto update time of around 1am-4am. It's an extension of the current PS+ auto update feature.

I'm confused. This an extension of the auto update feature, meaning there's still another auto-update that i can customize? I've my PS3 set to turn on and download everything at 5pm due at that time, in Tuesdays, PS Store is almost always already updated and i've still 2 hours left before i get home.

I set things to auto-download (demos, PS+ games, etc) and by the time i get home, they're already downloaded. Hope i can keep doing that in the PS4

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Awww, how cute. Someone makes a comment/question about how they perceive something and some of you take it as a personal attack......uh yea i guess

So you come in and make a trollish comment, and when you get called out on it you respond by talking down to people? Nice.

Are you fucking kidding me? Youre comparing Sony saying "in order to fully utilize the features of the ps4 we reccomend you connect it to a network" to Microsoft saying "If you don't connect every 24 hours, we brick your console." Are you for real?

Thank god MS changed those terrible policies. Let me guess, you were planning to share your entire library with ten of your friends with now restrictions before the hivemind at GAF ruined everything! Then you call people fanboys? Pot meet kettle.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Belittling people is a sure fire way to go far in life. And no one is taking it as a personal attack, more like you are just willfully ignorant to the facts.

rawd

Doesn't mean they have to follow everything. I don't know why they chose to remove user settings for that. Sounds silly. Hopefully they will change that in the future through an update.

Line from the source site:

Gonna suck for the gamers working late day shifts ... coming home to a mid-process auto update running, wanting to play Global Thermonuclear War.

tfur

Just so its clear. You are still required to be online with the XB1. It requires a day one patch, to DRM "remove" the DRM.

I do not know if there is a definitive answer as to what happens if you do not connect that first time.

So, Xbone online required. Day One 2013.

Come on, now.

This is what MS said after the 180. Before the 180, it was required that the console check in once a day, meaning it essentially HAD to be tethered to the Internet or it would not work. This also meant regional lock-outs by IP address, no used games .... and aaaalllll the other stuff people were upset about. Use your head.

Yes, maybe i should have stated i was talking about the rage after MS changed policies, people were still outraged that it had to phone home at all, and also had to be online to enjoy most products or offerings. However, when sony made the same statement about essentially being always online to fuction ie enjoy a next gen online connected box nobody held sony accountable for essentially having the same offering or policy MS has. Just talking about level playing feild becasue you do see Sony trolling and using ms statements against them.

PS as almost all say in this case. I am not an MS apologist, i am just stating my views. It makes me chuckle when some posters take others poeples views so personal. Another thing, Do many of you really believe that threats of banning people is a way to sensor others and their views? hmmm i joined gaf because i thought it was different, but i guess a crab cant birth a bird.

Top Bottom