• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Insomniac interview about Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Astorian

"The premise is that our long-time heroes are confronted by an evil arch-nemesis who wields a dimension tunnelling device known as the Dimensionator. As often happens in this type of scenario, this damages the fabric of spacetime and our heroes will need to use an evolving arsenal of creative firepower to try to save the universe," says Marcus Smith, creative director at Insomniac. "We don't want to give away too much, but players' jaws will hit the floor when they discover the butler did it... shoot, I said too much."

"Since Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart was built from the ground up for PS5, we have access to the broadest palette of techniques and the highest fidelity we've ever had for developing weaponry," says game director Mike Daly. "You can look forward to some new developments that make weapon impact feel absolutely amazing: custom adaptive triggers for each weapon that add new functions to the pull of the trigger itself, advanced VFX that take visual spectacle over the top, haptics to give every impact unique and physical sensations that further allow weapons to express their personality, and our signature creativity for exotic and unexpected weapon concepts is in full force. The weapon experience is shaping up to be incredible."

While plenty of fan favourite gadgets from Ratchet & Clank's past arsenal will return, it's the new weapons that are stealing the spotlight. There's the Shatterbomb, a concussive deployable that appears to be an upgrade on the Fusion grenade. The Topiary Sprinkler, a variant of Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando's Miniturret Glove, fires bolts of ice to freeze enemies in place as vines sprout around the crowd control device to shatter encroaching Thugs-4-Less forces. Then there's the new Burst Pistol and Enforcer Shotgun, two weapons set to take full advantage of the PS5's unique capabilities.

Insomniac is taking advantage of the PS5 to build a truly intergalactic adventure. The SSD will be utilised to project players between new worlds (and fresh takes on old favourites, as we've been able to glimpse Ardolis, Sargasso, and Torren IV in the trailers) at near-instantaneous speeds with no discernable load screens, and to give you new ways to traverse its combat spaces and encounters. Daly believes that it's this quirk of Rift Apart's design, working in tandem with the buoyant chaos the Ratchet & Clank series is known for, that will set it apart from anything else the studio has created in the past.

Rift Apart is being built as a celebration of the Ratchet & Clank games that have come before it. But it's also a glimpse into Insomniac's future, following its acquisition by Sony Interactive Entertainment. Smith says that the studio is trying to cater to more players than ever before, noting that if you've never played a Ratchet & Clank game before, this is an excellent one to start with, as the adventure is a stand-alone storyline. Still, long-time fans of the series will find deeper layers of connection to previous games."

More in the link.

Imtjnotu

Lets Go Naacp GIF by BET

Quantum253

"Number one reason to upgrade to a PS5 if you haven't already"
They speak as if you can walk into a store, or go online, and simply pick one up.
Maybe by the time the game is released, PS5s will be readily available, but it still might be hard to come by.

mckmas8808

Banned
"Number one reason to upgrade to a PS5 if you haven't already"
They speak as if you can walk into a store, or go online, and simply pick one up.
Maybe by the time the game is released, PS5s will be readily available, but it still might be hard to come by.

I was hoping it'll come out this March. But now I doubt it.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
"While so often new hardware feels like an upgrade to visuals alone, working on the PS5 has been a paradigm shift in the way we do all things, from the near-instant level loading to 3D audio design, and yes, an enormous leap in visuals"

They also reiterate that they're just scratching the surface on what can be done with the PS5 hardware

diffusionx

Gold Member
I played through R&C 2016 last year and while it played fine (although a little dull and simplistic overall), hated the dialogue, story, and characters, I mean HATED. It was so bad, and if I am being honest, took down my excitement for this game a few notches.

So we will see.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Super hyped, the main reason I wanted to make sure I got a PS5 in plenty of time. Can't wait.

Looks exactly the same as the previous 11 Ratchet and Clank games. Where is the innovation?

It does, but not everything needs to be innovative when there's a winning formula in the mix, and RnC has that. I don't think any of the best games I played this year were very innovative, but then again, I didn't play Alyx.

Quantum253

I was hoping it'll come out this March. But now I doubt it.
I'd imagine Sony and Insomniac are working very close together to ensure hardware allocation is there for one of the first big must have first-party titles of the year. However, even with production estimates, I still think most people won't be able to just pick up a PS5 "off the shelf" this year. I think they save the release to either summer or fall.

Papacheeks

Banned
Insomniac wasting time and talent on Ratchet & Clank. Makes me sad. This franchise should die with PS2.

Jesus, please stop.

Tell me where your childhood went wrong?

It's a great franchise, from a genre that outside of Nintendo doesn't get enough love in the AAA space. ANd the fact that ratchet and clank have great shooting mechanics makes it easier for older people to get into along with their kids. I grew out of regular platformers, but playing Doom eternal and games like ratchet that have both shooting and decent platform jumping scratches that itch for me. I tried to play crash 4 recently and it was good, but after a while I just lost interest.

Insomniac can make what ever they want, and they wanted to get ratchet out into more hands so they did the 2016 game which sold better than any of the series, and better from what I heard than resistance. Once ratchet is on a good path I think they may make something else.

But why should this make you sad?

Even though I wouldn't mind a sequel to sunset or resistance doesn't make this game irrelevant.

Ok, ok, ok people. If you enjoy this sort of crap I'm sure there's a game for you on that list:

Ratchet & Clank
Going Commando
Up Your Arsenal
Ratchet: Deadlocked
Future: Tools of Destruction
Future: Quest for Booty
Future: A Crack in Time
Into the Nexus
Size Matters
Secret Agent Clank
All 4 One
Full Frontal Assault
Collection
Ratchet & Clank (PS4)

How many more do you fucking need? Let it die. Let the team be creative and come up with something new and fresh.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Novacain

This game looks cool!

Not a system seller or must buy for me by any means - the last Ratchet and Clank on PS4 was fun, but like, $15-on-sale-and-7-hours-long kind of fun and I don't see much more than that for me here.

I'll look forward to playing it when it hits psplus in either late 21 or early 22.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok, ok, ok people. If you enjoy this sort of crap I'm sure there's a game for you on that list:

Ratchet & Clank
Going Commando
Up Your Arsenal
Into the Nexus
Size Matters
Secret Agent Clank
All 4 One
Full Frontal Assault
Collection
Ratchet & Clank (PS4)

How many more do you fucking need? Let it die. Let the team be creative and come up with something new and fresh.

Youre welcome to your opinion, even though its terrible and wrong lol Cmon.....have you even played all of those? If you have youd know that theyre not all the same.

Ratchet & Clank
Going Commando
Up Your Arsenal
Into the Nexus
Size Matters
Secret Agent Clank
All 4 One
Full Frontal Assault
Collection
Ratchet & Clank (PS4)

That's kind of like asking Nintendo to stop making Mario games when there are plenty of people that enjoy them.

I'll definitely be playing Rift Apart.

Karppuuna

This is going to be epic R&C game, i have played all the major R&C games all the way back in the 2002, lets the hype train roll!
Insomniac will take their time and deliver a masterpiece, i have full confidence!

mckmas8808

Banned
I'd imagine Sony and Insomniac are working very close together to ensure hardware allocation is there for one of the first big must have first-party titles of the year. However, even with production estimates, I still think most people won't be able to just pick up a PS5 "off the shelf" this year. I think they save the release to either summer or fall.

Well then they'll be waiting until Holiday 2021 then. I think that's a good reason to wait to put a game out.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Looks like it will be the first showcase of all the PS5 upgrades working on tandem in a full length game from top quality seasoned devs. Can't wait. The PS4 R&C is still the best use of HDR I've ever seen in a game.
People keep saying this.
I don’t get it... honestly..

gran turismo GoW and tetris effect all looked way better imo 🤨

It's kinda hard to take this seriously from a guy with a Fallout avatar. The last good one was ten years ago and the most recent was one of the biggest disasters in video games.
I agree. The last good Fallout was New Vegas and my favorite ones are 1 and 2 to this day. What's your point?

My avatar represents all the platform that I play on. Sony Computer Entertainment background + Microsoft first party mascot + Nvidia logos.

Top Bottom