• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Japanese-developed Silent Hill game leaked through a handful of images from a 2020 build (Sony said to be involved)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What if this leak and the DMCA copyright strike from Konami is part of their marketing plan? What if this is another one of Hasan's way of teasing us? Did anyone ever think of that huh?
Into the abyss we go!
living on the edge GIF

Nickolaidas

Banned
He does have his sources, but he took egg on his face when he admitted that he made up the story about RE8 struggling to reach a stable 30fps on the PS5, let alone 60, because Sony was getting "so much praise at the time," that he wanted to "level the playing field" by spreading FUD.

He admitted it, the game came out and performed very well on both machines, RT to boot, and we all moved on.
He 'didn't made it up', he chose to post it because he felt the XSX was taking too many bad news. His reasoning was asinine, but he didn't lie.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Also, I think they are making a western SH game, and a Japanese SH game. The former for the casuals who cannot follow SH's more 'niche' atmosphere and themes and the click-baiting Let's Players, and a more traditional ones for the Asian market and the Westerners who like 'niche' horror.

That's my theory.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If they DMCA'd it, its definitely real as it'd open them up to liability were they to claim ownership of a thing that wasn't theirs.

However... as its not afaik confirmed that whoever ordered the DMCA was Konami....

Last edited:
By the way, does anyone have a website or something that shows the timeline as to when Kojima seemed fine to work with Konami again? I feel like I missed a character arc.

We went from this:
LqO7.gif

To this:
star-wars-anakin-skywalker.gif

And I feel like I've missed some important details.

Fuz

Banned
Dusk interestingly mentions "SMS messages", which might suggest that Gematsu's report from last year (Gematsu has also heard that a new Silent Hill is in development at a prominent Japanese developer. That studio is Kojima Productions, according to a publishing source that wishes to remain anonymous, who also said that the game is funded by Sony Interactive Entertainment.) could be accurate, given that, according to Alanah Pearce, Hideo Kojima's Silent Hills (cancelled in 2015) was planned to be able to send you emails or text messages in real life:

Please don't be idiots.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dusk interestingly mentions "SMS messages", which might suggest that Gematsu's report from last year (Gematsu has also heard that a new Silent Hill is in development at a prominent Japanese developer. That studio is Kojima Productions, according to a publishing source that wishes to remain anonymous, who also said that the game is funded by Sony Interactive Entertainment.) could be accurate, given that, according to Alanah Pearce, Hideo Kojima's Silent Hills (cancelled in 2015) was planned to be able to send you emails or text messages in real life:

"We've been trying to reach you about the expiration on your vehicles extended warranty!"

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
What if its a woke short Bloober Silent Hill game
Is a win because it's a new game. I don't understand the confusion.

What would make it woke? I'm under the impression that woke is just a dog whistle people use to label things they don't feel comfortable with.

Short games are fine. P.T. is still the greatest horror game ever made.

Dr Kaneda

Do we have any proof this is a Japan developed SH?

To me this reeks of the Blooper game with these screenshots deliberately being “leaked” by themselves to create hype/gage consumer reaction. And the Sony “involvement” part is probably nothing more than a time exclusive deal just like the had with MS and The Medium.

Maybe that’s the pessimist in my though. I’d love for this to be the Kohima SH but I’ve been burned too many times before.

bitbydeath

So the Other World is made up of post-its now?

Blood and rust are cancelled I guess..
SH has always been about the inner conflicts of the person which can represent itself in many different ways, that’s why Ito didn’t like the reuse of Pyramid head.

Edit: That’s not to say there won’t be blood and rust too, but the post-it’s likely represent something.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Or maybe is in japanese for the Konami people can understand the mediocre shit that Bloober team is making.
Being built in Japanese first would be quite the task for Bloober, not to mention the graphics, we all saw The Medium right?

images

The graphics in the OP are from an early build, and they already far surpass their last game.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
By the way, does anyone have a website or something that shows the timeline as to when Kojima seemed fine to work with Konami again? I feel like I missed a character arc.

We went from this:
LqO7.gif

To this:
star-wars-anakin-skywalker.gif

And I feel like I've missed some important details.
This is pretty much it, coming from reputable websites:
Eurogamer - January 2020 said:
While it might seem preposterous that Konami would work with Kojima again following their public falling out a few years back, anonymous sources I trust have anecdotally intimated to me that over the last year or two, the ice has thawed between them. (Link)
Gematsu - October 2021 said:
Gematsu has also heard that a new Silent Hill is in development at [...] Kojima Productions, according to a publishing source that wishes to remain anonymous, who also said that the game is funded by Sony Interactive Entertainment. (Link)

Dr Kaneda

The Japanese writing in the image?

WXJZcTA.png
Potentially. But if it's a Konami game and these are beta/alpha/whatever images for internal use only then it's equally plausible that it was localised to Japanese for Konami executives.

Dusk has seen the huge shitstorm that's formed around whether this is Blooper game and he's been happy to clarify that Sony is involved, so if Blooper weren't involved surely he would have nipped those worries in the bud very quickly?

Last edited:

saintjules

The person at Resetera who first leaked that Silent Hill and Metal Gear are in the works and Sony is involved. They kept saying Sony would show it in the next showcase, and that announcement never came. Eventually they became a meme. I think they either left Era or was banned.

Seems they were banned, but no reason provided. I only saw a platform warring warning of the user back in 2021.

BRD8636.jpg

bitbydeath

Potentially. But if it's a Konami game and these are beta/alpha/whatever images for internal use only then it's equally plausible that it was localised to Japanese for Konami executives.

Dusk has seen the huge shitstorm that's formed around whether this is Blooper game and he's been happy to clarify that Sony is involved, so if Blooper weren't involved surely he would have nipped those worries in the bud very quickly?
I don’t think he’s ever addressed them, might not know anything in that space. 🤷‍♂️

Keihart

i wonder if the MC have some self hating problem.
No way that is Kojipro, if it is, i'm shocked.

The dude likes to be criptic and do some weird ass metaphores, you rarely get something as plain and in your face as this with him.
The picture with all the trash on it is definetly a studio with good productions values tho.

On the other hand, Sam PORTER BRIDGES is a porter building bridges, so who knows.

rofif

Banned
Everyone gangster until you have to actually play silent hill. It’s clunky and annoying. I love the story and atmosphere but pt plays way better

Top Bottom