• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Japanese trademarks from Sega (Shenmue), Sony, Square Enix and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG

61880-George-Michael-its-happening-i-dNrF.gif

I'd love to hype believe me, but logically they are more than likely trademark renewals to maintain IP. But I'd love to be wrong just to see friends rejoice at a new or remade Shenmue. Personally I've long ago given up on that possibility.

DJIzana

Question is.... will Sega localize Shenmue?

I personally won't care... will import it if I have to! Like I have with EVERYTHING Yakuza related! :D

My hype has climbed a little!

JimiNutz

Banned
If Shenmue is exclusive then it's gonna be for X1.
MS are more likely to pay for it, Spencer has spoken about Shenmue recently hasn't he?
Also Sony has the Yakuza series already.

Personally I don't think it's gonna happen at all but IF it is exclusive I'd be surprised if it wasnt for X1

Entwined = Media Molecule's next game.

Bloodborne = Project Beast

Calling it now.

Remember that The Order: 1886 "leaked" last year before E3 due to the trademark showing up...

I guess at E3 we can expect 2 new IPs.

MS are more likely to pay for it, Spencer has spoken about Shenmue recently hasn't he?

Yep, I'm calling WWE logic on this one. It has been mentioned by MS recently, so if it is going to happen that is where it will be (for six months or a year after launch...)

Personally I don't think it's gonna happen at all but IF it is exclusive I'd be surprised if it wasnt for X1

Well, Yu Suzuki said he was looking into possibly Kickstarting it, and Sony is backing that Harmonix kickstarter (kind of)...

Last I checked, SEGA had so little to do with the franchise that they let the trademark lapse out of neglect. I'm not sure if this is simply a measure to protect the trademark or a rumbling of activity, so I'd recommend not to get excited yet.

This would be a bigger deal if it were Sega of America renewing the trademark since they lost it earlier this year. If something were going on with it you'd think that they'd make sure that something like that wouldn't happen.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Sony has also made some weightless comments about Shenmue.

I still think MS is more likely, though.

Shenmue-III-Sonys-Mark-Cerny-And-Yu-Suzuki-Talking-Strategy-.jpg

Tsundere

Banned

Being exclusive to X1 guarantees the series' death.

Well, it's going to end with S3 anyway. I remember someone mentioning that Suzuki said that if he ever got the chance to make it then he'd wrap up the story with it. So this is really a one and done thing if anyone actually decides to fund it.

There's no weight in anything related to Shenmue, really.

Even if it's coming for real, it's at least 3 years away because as far as we know, Yu Suzuki hasn't touched the property in years.

Once Suzuki is noticeably absent and I'd working on game development, then there's merit in getting excited.

Jomjom

Banned
They were friends during the xbox era as well and shenmue 2 still was xbox and dc exclusive. This means nothing. If it happens itll be on xbone. Business is business, friendship has nothing to do with it. Unless Cernys gonna personally drop millions in front of Suzuki, it dont mean a thing.

Why? Shenmue did really well in the west. Didnt it do better in the west than in Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom