• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New joycon patent shows D-Pad instead of buttons, 3DS disc instead of analog sticks

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://nintendosmash.com/patent-hi...n-are-on-the-way-with-d-pad-and-more-changes/

dpad-1-588x330.jpg

It seems that an interesting new patent for Nintendo Switch has been published recently. In this case, it focuses on the controls on the console.

This is a patent for the Nintendo Switch Joy-Con registered earlier this month. Thanks to this document, Nintendo could start production whenever it wanted.

In the published images, we can see the following details:

• The biggest difference is that it has a traditional D-pad/crosshead instead of four separate buttons.
  • The Joy-Con joystick is similar to the low Circle Pad used on the Nintendo 3DS, rather than the taller joysticks on normal Joy-Cons
dpad.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
Asymmetrical sticks? Standard D-pad, going back to the circle pad to avoid drift? Could these be for the Switch revision?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
How different are the discs to the sticks, do they not use those potentiometers or whatever they are called?

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
How different are the discs to the sticks, do they not use those potentiometers or whatever they are called?
5xtUZCnMc1ZPQqU1.medium

Looking at this gave me very little confidence that it's something other than just a differently build linear potentiometer, there is a very little you can do in that space....

Animagic

Banned
I don’t think those are actually circle pads. The analog looks different from the current stick, but more recessed in the cutout part of the plate. Drawing the conclusion that it’s a 3DS circle pad is a mistake

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The biggest difference aside from that, is the two extra buttons on the lower half of the joycon.

I think this is explicitly a "NES Classic" style Joycon, to be sold separately for emulation/NSO NES/SNES enthusiasts.
Looks like it. Has only 2 buttons and would not be comfortable in a hand vertical like the Zelda one in the OP.

Zero7

I disliked the circle pad on the 3DS, it always felt stiff and my thumb often slipped off it, I had the same problem with the nub on the PSP

Reactions: TLZ
Looks like it. Has only 2 buttons and would not be comfortable in a hand vertical like the Zelda one in the OP.
Yeah. But I believe the idea is to have a supercompact (with no parts stick-ing out) joycon alternative that actually works for most things, and is a more fully featured and better balanced "classic console" controller on its own.

I'm interested if that controller actually has a 'right' counterpart, and what it looks like if it does. Because you can't... or rather wouldn't, put the two extra buttons on the top of the controller, as it'd make it significantly less usable for normal games. And if you make it more ergonomic for 'normal' usage, it won't be very good at all as a separate single controller.

Actually I just realized. Sort of.
No need to remove the 'stick' on the right controller.
I realized what the vertical buttons reminded me of.

51XhYG0bg2L._AC_SY355_.jpg

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The two buttons are logically (?) the Minus and Screenshot buttons, guys. Directional buttons would obviously be replaced by the D-Pad.

From one of those sketches it may seem that the sticks are just more recessed instead of being actual circle pads, but I think this may make the controller more fragile, so I don’t know. The Circle Pad wasn’t as good as a regular stick, that’s for sure.

Maybe it’s an optional Joycon to play 3DS games on NSO? :messenger_winking:

Papacheeks

Banned
God Nintendo, just stop with the bullshit that no one uses. Make a great ergonomic control scheme on the switch that not detachable. Like the switch lite only with a good d-pad, bigger sticks and better hand feel.

Is that really that hard? Only a handful of your first party games lean heavy on that and thats by your decision not consumers asking for it.

Business

The two buttons are logically (?) the Minus and Screenshot buttons, guys. Directional buttons would obviously be replaced by the D-Pad.

From one of those sketches it may seem that the sticks are just more recessed instead of being actual circle pads, but I think this may make the controller more fragile, so I don’t know. The Circle Pad wasn’t as good as a regular stick, that’s for sure.

Maybe it’s an optional Joycon to play 3DS games on NSO? :messenger_winking:

My first thought too.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
The circle pads broke more then the switch cons. I remember peoples sticking, floating around, and getting torn off.

doubt it’s going to be them in their current 3ds form for that reason.

kunonabi

A real dpad and circle pads would absolutely make my year. Bring back the microphone and built in wrist straps while we're at it.

gamer82

I honestly don't mind the circlepad on the new 3dsxl, but those sticks on the switch for me they are too sensitive . I'ts a pain to get any sort of precision especially when your playing some crazy platforming, its rather annoying so just make it a bit thicker and put the pro sticks on there if you need be .

Better yet make split pad pros with full functionality.

Now get me the manager lol
white chicks GIF

Ellery

They want me to pay the price for the Switch Pro Controller and I will have to do it anyway, because those Switch things are designed for baby hands and not 6'2'' chads.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i wouldn't mind sticks like those on the DS/3DS.

sucks about the d-pad tho.

edit: wtf no longer asymmetrical?

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
The analogue stick under the dpad means they need to update the Switch logo since they made it over the asymmetric analogues.
nintendo-switch-delete-activity-log.jpg

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I got an Nintendo insider DM me for the pro controller prototype.
It had deep sense motion.

s-l400.jpg

euphorbia-ingens-cowboy-cactus.jpg

Jaysen

Banned
Just fix the problem with the shitty joycon sticks drifting. The worst part of the 3DS outside of the gimmicky 3D was the slider.

This is actually pretty old we talked about it in here if I recall but good to see it brought back up. Basically Nintendo put a billion designs in this original design patent application to lock in a filing date for all the designs but the patent office only will allow you to patent one at a time in one application so they made a billion divisional application for each of the designs. If you are rich its definitely the way to go because you also keep the family chain open for new applications with staggered allowance dates like this month but they do expire at the same time.

Put this number into public pair and you can see the original 96 drawings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom