• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New LOZ, will it be Nintendo's fastest & best-selling game?

AssMan

Banned
It depends on GCN's userbase by the time LOZ gets released. How many N64's did Nintendo sell when OOT came out, and what's GCN's userbase now?

Kon Tiki

Banned
15 million.

Halo is ~1/3 of all xboxs. If 1/3 of a console installed user base is attainable. Then the GCN user base has to be at 17Million in order for LOZ to Match OoT. Statistically speaking of course.

ge-man

I don't think the new LOZ will be Nintendo's biggest title ever. As a Cube title I think it does stand a chance being Nintendo larges title this gen, but that's not saying much. The GC userbase isn't as big as past Nintendo platforms. Add in the shrinking of Japan's market and the cold shoulder that the west is giving Nintendo and I would be surprised of the game does anything more than sell slightly better than SSB:M.

How much has SSBM sold worldwide? 6 million? It should be able to surpass that in the long run depending on how the impressions of the game turn out. I don't think the announcement of Revolution info would hurt it too much since it's going to be backwards compatible. Alot of its success will just ride on the public reaction to it and whether or not Nintendo can market it right.

Kon Tiki

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
How much has SSBM sold worldwide? 6 million? It should be able to surpass that in the long run depending on how the impressions of the game turn out. I don't think the announcement of Revolution info would hurt it too much since it's going to be backwards compatible. Alot of its success will just ride on the public reaction to it and whether or not Nintendo can market it right.

:|

You think LOZ will sell more than 6Million, but not FFXII?

Society said:
:|

You think LOZ will sell more than 6Million, but not FFXII?

I never siad FFXII wouldn't sell 6 million. Unless the changes done to it really annoys alot of hardcore fans it shouldn't have much trouble getting to 6 million.

Kon Tiki

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I never siad FFXII wouldn't sell 6 million. Unless the changes done to it really annoys alot of hardcore fans it shouldn't have much trouble getting to 6 million.

SolidSnakex said:
That's not really a good measuring stick for how well something is going to sell. Because i'd say as far as games announced for next year, there's nothing that's going to top FFXII right now.
SolidSnakex said:
I'm talking about worldwide. FFXII will be the best selling game worldwide next year, atleast of the games announced so far. The only thing that could really top it is a new Pokemon or if DQ8 gets delayed till then. Zelda definetly has a chance of beating it with its US total, but worldwide FFXII will come out top.

You DO realize that in order for FFXII to come out on top, it has to sell more than LOZ (which you just put at 6Million).

Yah I realise that. But I didn't say anywhere that FFXII wouldn't sell more than 6 million. I'm expecting it to be the best selling FF this generation with the PS2's increased userbase. So 6+ million should be a pretty easy target for the game.

Kon Tiki

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Yah I realise that. But I didn't say anywhere that FFXII wouldn't sell more than 6 million. I'm expecting it to be the best selling FF this generation with the PS2's increased userbase. So 6+ million should be a pretty easy target for the game.
Ah, so now it is the best selling FF, not overall. :p

Li Mu Bai

Banned
jett said:
Doubtful...very doubtful. It is a Gamecube game, after all.

One of the most ignorant statements I've ever heard you make jett.

I don't think the new LOZ will be Nintendo's biggest title ever. As a Cube title I think it does stand a chance being Nintendo larges title this gen, but that's not saying much. The GC userbase isn't as big as past Nintendo platforms. Add in the shrinking of Japan's market and the cold shoulder that the west is giving Nintendo and I would be surprised of the game does anything more than sell slightly better than SSB:M.

The japanese market is shrinking, & yet Pikmin 2 is at/approaching 400k. GBA titles are also still selling quite well there, though Iwata & Nintendo have been saying this for months about the japanese gaming market downturn. The software is taking a dip here in NA as well, though guess who is unaffected? Nintendo is up 21% from last year. I wouldn't exactly qualify that as a cold shoulder. Normally, with their current stagnant hw sales (for the last 2 months) this wouldn't matter, although Nintendo generates a lot of their revenue off of internal or independently published software sales of course. So thereby showing growth in this all important revenue generating sector. And with a projected $628 million in profit projected for '05, this bodes extremely well.

SSBM sold/continues to sell well. Critisizing its market performance is not very intelligent. It would be akin to me saying the same regarding Halo. Selling 2.2 million+ (SSBM's NA sales) in roughly a year given the GC's current, or projected userbase by that time means it would've sold at a much faster rate than Halo.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Gunsmoke said:
sure, they can always spray paint a cube gold color and sell it as a bundle.

But this game looks like we won't see a release until the END of 2005.

And that means Xbox2, NDS, PSP ? would have hit market.

It's already started, so what do you think the price is going to suddenly jump up ? in another 18 - 24 months ?
I have no doubts, there is no doubts and it is undoubtedly so !

The UK is not representative of all of EU. You actually believe that the NDS, PSP, & Xenon will eat into LOZ's sales numbers somehow? Two of them being handhelds, & btw the NDS is debuting this year on the NA market, & not '05. You're forgetting France & Germany as well where Nintendo outperforms the X-Box. Index, (a catalogue retailer) is selling the Cube at a promotional price, (in conjunction w/Nintendo) in order to spike overall hw sales, which is obviously working. As the offer was once only online until the stock was completely sold out. Argos isn't even selling them that low currently. How much is the Box retailing for in JPN these days with numerous bundles? Conversely, Nintendo has a much stronger UK installed userbase. 32% marketshare as of the Pokemon Colosseum bundle iirc. As I mentioned, Nintendo is willing to take a loss here because consumers generally purchase the system for what reason? Nintendo's software. But to presume that this trend will extend to the states & other locales where the system is selling relatively well is sheer lunacy. The GC will not be=to the software's price, especially with Revolution & the PS3 launching in 2006. Rethink what you've stated, especially if this is a temporary price cut solely in the UK to gain more marketshare. (in a region where they've struggled historically) As was done at various times just last year there.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

I agree with you here SSX. Although I believe in NA LOZ will win sales-wise, JPN has far too much of a loyal fanbase following for the FF series. Although it could prove interesting in ww comprehensive sales, even given the PS2's huge installed userbase advantage. (in terms of sales differential vs. installed userbases) People will buy a system solely for this game, (as the LOZ:WW proved, despite it not being what the masses truly wanted) whereas FFXII doesn't have this type of power in NA, UK, EU, etc. 10 million shipped ww for the last 2 FF incarnations & only 3 million sold combined in NA alone thus far is why I bring this up.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Uno Ill Nino said:
Oh wow. You sure told me! I guess I'll know better than to have an opinion that doesn't hold Nintendo in the highest esteem from now on! Go polish your Zelda action figures.

Uno, when your opinion clashes against verified numerical sales data, what type of response did you expect? Overexposed? You might want to look up that word in a dictionary before you attempt to use it within an actual sentence. If you had said Mario, I probably would've agreed, even though Mario game related sales refute that opinion.

Uno Ill Nino said:
Oh wow. You sure told me! I guess I'll know better than to have an opinion that doesn't hold Nintendo in the highest esteem from now on! Go polish your Zelda action figures.
Actually jackass i was just saying your special because of your comment about a new Mario game selling better then a new revolutionary Zelda game and saying that Zelda was over exposed i think that Halo 2 has a great chance of selling better then the new Zelda but GTA: SA will be just about par with Zelda so you my dear friend can die in fact I should play god and shoot you myself.

Firest0rm

aperfectt00l said:
Actually jackass i was just saying your special because of your comment about a new Mario game selling better then a new revolutionary Zelda game and saying that Zelda was over exposed i think that Halo 2 has a great chance of selling better then the new Zelda but GTA: SA will be just about par with Zelda so you my dear friend can die in fact I should play god and shoot you myself.

God does not shoot, he smites. You don't need to be a God to shoot some one. All you need to be is an American citizen so you can buy your self a gun ;).

Firest0rm said:
God does not shoot, he smites. You don't need to be a God to shoot some one. All you need to be is an American citizen so you can buy your self a gun ;).
i am an american citizen....i said it cus i felt like quoting tool, havent done it in a while

aperfectt00l said:

Are you suggesting that this new Zelda is going to sell as much as SA?

Kon Tiki

Banned
aperfectt00l said:

Halo 2 will be on par with Zelda, maybe. There is no way Halo 2 will sell more than GTA:SA. Not based on past and current trends at least.

SolidSnakex said:
Are you suggesting that this new Zelda is going to sell as much as SA?
No I'm saying that they will sell about the same i mean it's pretty much a given that GTA will sell more just because everyone has a PS2 but i think the hype that LoZ is getting and will be getting will definitly help it get at least close to those figures.... as for Halo i think that it will actually do better than GTA: SA and LoZ 2005 because it will be on X-box and PC, not by too much but it will do better...

Li Mu Bai

Banned
aperfectt00l said:
No I'm saying that they will sell about the same i mean it's pretty much a given that GTA will sell more just because everyone has a PS2 but i think the hype that LoZ is getting and will be getting will definitly help it get at least close to those figures.... as for Halo i think that it will actually do better than GTA: SA and LoZ 2005 because it will be on X-box and PC, not by too much but it will do better...

Has there even been a confirmation for Halo 2 on the PC? (even though we all know its inevitable at some point.) You're correct about the hype train for LOZ heading full steam ahead & picking up passengers. Halo though, even with its PC cross-platfom support, has nothing that the GTA series does not have regarding computer software support. And Halo will ultimately sell less, (userbase differential) although the only factor that could make GTA:SA sell less than its predecessors & Halo that I can foresee is a sad, & very ignorant one. RACE.

Top Bottom