• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

new Lufia (Estpolis) will be announced soon

Dragona Akehi

Retired
Jun 5, 2004
15,259
0
0
Well unless things have changed significantly, it isn't going to be a turn based RPG, and it makes me very sad.

I don't think, despite what neo is saying, that Neverland Co. is working on the game at all. I think Famitsu is wrong there.
 

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Feb 27, 2007
3,378
1
1,095
Dragona Akehi said:
Well unless things have changed significantly, it isn't going to be a turn based RPG, and it makes me very sad.

I don't think, despite what neo is saying, that Neverland Co. is working on the game at all. I think Famitsu is wrong there.
Much, much sadness.

*sigh*

Perhaps better now than later.
 

leroy hacker

Member
Apr 17, 2007
2,785
0
0
Also, even if it is Neverland, I don't think the dungeon designer from Lufia 2 is there anymore, so it can't actually be the original team. I haven't seen him in the credits to any Neverland games since Lufia 2 was released in 1996.

The most I hope for from this project is that it gives SE a reason to finally put the Lufia games on virtual console.
 

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Mar 18, 2007
6,033
0
995
I hope they remake the third one and replace all of the stupid dungeons with real ones like Lufia 2, but I know it won't happen. Disappointment: here we go.
 

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sep 1, 2006
58,596
27
1,455
-
Oh my god

oH mY gOD

OH MY GOD

OH MY GOD

EDIT: I have Lufia 2 as my second best game ever created in human fucking kind history.

This is going to be amaziiiing
 

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Sep 10, 2007
18,385
0
0
GET THE MOTHERFUCK OUT OF HERE

Dragona Akehi said:
Well unless things have changed significantly, it isn't going to be a turn based RPG, and it makes me very sad.

I don't think, despite what neo is saying, that Neverland Co. is working on the game at all. I think Famitsu is wrong there.
No no no no no no, why does the OP say it's the original team then? It's not like they're doing anything interesting. They've realised playing with salad crops is boring and finally back on their A-game. IT HAS TO BE
 

Dragona Akehi

Retired
Jun 5, 2004
15,259
0
0
Hey I could be wrong and they scrapped the original premise, which would make me exceedingly happy. I'm just not counting on it at all.
 

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sep 1, 2006
58,596
27
1,455
-
ActionRPG ala SD3 = Yes please.

Or just go identical to the system in Lufia 2.
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
Dragona Akehi said:
Well unless things have changed significantly, it isn't going to be a turn based RPG, and it makes me very sad.

I don't think, despite what neo is saying, that Neverland Co. is working on the game at all. I think Famitsu is wrong there.
Neverland does make pretty good action RPGs, though.
 

Dragona Akehi

Retired
Jun 5, 2004
15,259
0
0
ethelred said:
Neverland does make pretty good action RPGs, though.
This is true. But, unless some miracle happened, I think Famitsu is wrong. Maybe they mean the original GBA Lufia (aka NOT a Lufia game) team is working on it? If it's Neverland Co., then things have actually changed... for the better.
 

Dragona Akehi

Retired
Jun 5, 2004
15,259
0
0
Night_Trekker said:
Here's hoping is has some resemblance to the SNES classics.

I never played the GBA Lufia... I should probably pick that up sometime.
If you truly love the franchise...do yourself a favour and don't pick that game up.
 

Kaeru

Banned
Sep 27, 2006
1,363
0
0
Just like Lufia 2 just like Lufia 2 just li...


Lufia 2 still has the best boss design ever.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
37
Dragona Akehi said:
This is true. But, unless some miracle happened, I think Famitsu is wrong. Maybe they mean the original GBA Lufia (aka NOT a Lufia game) team is working on it? If it's Neverland Co., then things have actually changed... for the better.
Famitsu can't be wrong. They're just a mouthpiece for the PR provided to them by the publishers. It says specifically that the original staff members of the classic RPG Estpolis, released 15 years ago, is developing a brand new Estpolis game. No one said anything about Neverland, but yes the bulk of the "original staff" would be Neverland, so.... :p

I advice you don't throw a LOL-THEY-HAVE-TO-BE-WRONG fit again like you did when they announced FFIV DS :p
 

Dragona Akehi

Retired
Jun 5, 2004
15,259
0
0
Gravijah said:
So basically I should still try out the old games, right?
Lufia 1 is a bit "archaic" in that it's completely an homage game to DQ. I love it. Lufia 2 was definitely a more ambitious and better designed game. So I'd play them in order.

duckroll said:
Famitsu can't be wrong. They're just a mouthpiece for the PR provided to them by the publishers. It says specifically that the original staff members of the classic RPG Estpolis, released 15 years ago, is developing a brand new Estpolis game. No one said anything about Neverland, but yes the bulk of the "original staff" would be Neverland, so.... :p

I advice you don't throw a LOL-THEY-HAVE-TO-BE-WRONG fit again like you did when they announced FFIV DS :p
I haven't seen the Famitsu text, just what Neo said. If it says that, it says that.
 

Night_Trekker

Member
Jan 27, 2005
17,175
2
1,155
37
South Carolina
Dragona Akehi said:
If you truly love the franchise...do yourself a favour and don't pick that game up.
And that's why I haven't played it. I keep hearing things like this :lol

I'll continue to avoid it then. Though I did play and actually enjoy the GBC game, which I recognize is not actually a good game (cool battle system aside).
 

Tenbatsu

Member
May 9, 2007
8,211
0
0
Singapore
I remember when I was young, the owner of a gameshop where I frequent love the original Lufia to death. He was like playing it for a year, god knows how many times he completed the game.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
37
Dragona Akehi said:
I haven't seen the Famitsu text, just what Neo said. If it says that, it says that.
Of course, "original staff" could also mean some random Taito manager from the first game. :lol
 

ReyBrujo

Member
Dec 5, 2008
645
0
0
Argentina
I really liked the first one, specially because of the opening (never before a game _I had played_ let me start in the final battle). The pace is somewhat slow, and the amount of random encounters is a tad higher than in other games, but it was a pretty good experience overall. Unfortunately, never managed to play the second. If it is for DS, I will be picking it up!
 

Tamanon

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
81,825
1
0
Also remember Lufia 2 was almost one of the earliest random loot games on the console. You could get some wackily overpowered gear at random sometimes, even if it's just an overpowered IP ability.
 

Jonnyram

Member
Jun 8, 2004
19,828
0
0
Neo Tokyo
duckroll said:
Of course, "original staff" could also mean some random Taito manager from the first game. :lol
Famitsu wouldn't say that though - that would be a trick from the publisher.

I quite liked the "from the makers of Mr. Driller, comes this shittly PS3 puzzler, Qruton" myself.
 

Johann

Member
Jul 6, 2008
2,417
0
750
manueldelalas said:
I hope they remake the third one and replace all of the stupid dungeons with real ones like Lufia 2, but I know it won't happen. Disappointment: here we go.
While a lot of people hate it for the randomized dungeons (and the consequent removal of the puzzle elements), Lufia 3 is my favorite installment. The game has an ingenious battle system and character growth system. It's some of the most in-depth mechanics I've seen in a RPG, let alone a handheld RPG.
 

duckroll

Member
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
2
0
37
Jonnyram said:
Famitsu wouldn't say that though - that would be a trick from the publisher.

I quite liked the "from the makers of Mr. Driller, comes this shittly PS3 puzzler, Qruton" myself.
Famitsu would say it if the publisher/developer told them to say it. Like when they said Kunihiko Tanaka was the character designer for World Destruction.