new Lufia (Estpolis) will be announced soon

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
#51
duckroll said:
Of course, "original staff" could also mean some random Taito manager from the first game. :lol
:S

They shouldn't be saying "original staff" unless Masahide Miyata is involved with the game.
 
#53
jj984jj said:
:S

They shouldn't be saying "original staff" unless Masahide Miyata is involved with the game.
I agree. If Miyata isn't involved, there is no "original staff", and if he is involved, Neverland has to be developing it. So I guess we'll see.
 
#54
wow, did not see this coming. I brought and play through the gameboy games just for having Lufia in the title, by god I will do it again for this new one.
 
#56
duckroll said:
Famitsu would say it if the publisher/developer told them to say it. Like when they said Kunihiko Tanaka was the character designer for World Destruction.
That's kind of what I meant though - just because Famitsu prints it doesn't mean it's coming from their own minds. Anyway, back to the matter in hand....
 

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
#58
if you love l2, give the gba game a try. Yes it holds nothing to one of the best rpgs ever, but its still entertaining and a nice homage
 
#59
Anyone who hasn't played the first two Lufia games on the SNES absolutely owes it to themselves to do so. Lufia 1 is one of the best pure Dragon Quest-clones out there (behind only the Mother games, probably), and Lufia 2 is, well... just one of the best RPGs of the 16-bit generation. Game holds up wonderfully against the likes of FF6, DQ5/6, Chrono Trigger, Lunar 2, and Phantasy Star 4.

As far as this new game goes, I expect it'll be a new action RPG since that's pretty much all that Neverland makes these days (like Rune Factory Frontier or the newer Shining Force games). Which is disappointing, but hopefully they still capture some of the dungeony magic of Lufia 2, because it could still be fun that way.

Teetris said:
if you love l2, give the gba game a try. Yes it holds nothing to one of the best rpgs ever, but its still entertaining and a nice homage
I would really recommend any fan of Lufia 2 to not give the GBA game a try. That's like saying "If you love Lunar, give Dragon Song a try!"

Rad Agast said:
I came to say this. Lufia I and II where damn good back then.
They still are.
 
#61
Rad Agast said:
I came to say this. Lufia I and II where damn good back then.
I remember the first time I seen Lufia 1 at the Summer CES show back in the day. It was love at first sight. L2 was insane, blew my mind with goodness.
 
#62
Johann said:
While a lot of people hate it for the randomized dungeons (and the consequent removal of the puzzle elements), Lufia 3 is my favorite installment. The game has an ingenious battle system and character growth system. It's some of the most in-depth mechanics I've seen in a RPG, let alone a handheld RPG.
That's why I want a remake. The dungeons were horrible, randomized or not (although I do hate random dungeons, because funnily enough, they all look the same...); I mean I quit the game in the last part because I had to pass through a 50 floor forest (yes, fucking forest with fucking floors...), two 60+ towers and some other shit. And I loved all of the other things of that game, battle system, story, dialogue, the fact that you could defeat bosses when you weren't supposed to do it, etc.
 
#64
clashfan said:
I wonder if it's sprite based?
Doubt it. Although Neverland was still doing some decent sprite work in 2003 (Cima), I think your best bet is going to be something like the Rune Factory games -- 3D polygonal models overtop 2D backgrounds.
 
#65
manueldelalas said:
That's why I want a remake. The dungeons were horrible, randomized or not (although I do hate random dungeons, because funnily enough, they all look the same...); I mean I quit the game in the last part because I had to pass through a 50 floor forest (yes, fucking forest with fucking floors...), two 60+ towers and some other shit. And I loved all of the other things of that game, battle system, story, dialogue, the fact that you could defeat bosses when you weren't supposed to do it, etc.
I always wondered if the level designers thought "Hey! Everybody loved the Ancient Cave in the last game. Let's make all the levels into randomized areas with absurd floor counts!" Then you combine that with the hole trap...

The game still has a great battle system and some really nice boss fights. I remember looking at screenshots before getting the game and thinking that a party of nine was kind of unfair to enemies!
 

Man God

Non-Canon Member
#67
The Gameboy Color Lufia game is really interesting.

No, it's not as good as II or I, but it's still pretty good.

Lufia on GBA, I don't know what you are talking about...at all...:lol
 

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
#68
Rise of the Sinstrils was pretty badass. They did some awesome things with the characters and story in it, if I recall.

I never played any of the other Lufia games though...
 
#69
HOLY SHIT! Never I thought I would be waking up to news like this. I'm super psyc...

Dragona Akehi said:
Well unless things have changed significantly, it isn't going to be a turn based RPG, and it makes me very sad.

I don't think, despite what neo is saying, that Neverland Co. is working on the game at all. I think Famitsu is wrong there.
Oh...
 
#73
Wow, Lufia II is like the only turn based RPG I've ever finished. That game is so awesome but yeah it's been a long time since they made it so I'm not getting too hyped.

OMG NEW LUFIA OMG OMG OMG
 
#74
Lufia 2 is my absolute favorite SNES game of all time (and approaching my favorite RPG of all time).

I desperately hope that this is more in the vain of Lufia 2 and less in the rest. Lufia 2 proved to me that JRPGs can be more than grinding. The gameplay in Lufia 2 is fucking great. Want to skip a battle? Just avoid the monster on the map. PUZZLES OUT THE FUCKING WAZOO.

Let's all celebrate by listening to the greatest Lufia remix of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT2LJTr_A6s

Yeah, I'm pimping my crap again... but this news is just TOO exciting.
 
#75
well, this will be a fun emotional rollercoaster. i'm sort of glad the shittiness of the GBA game and taito losing interest in the series mentally prepared me to give up lufia for dead some time ago, but i never let hope die completely!

crazily enough i've been playing lufia II in the last week. it's still great, but there's a long way to go.

but really, i can't but be pessimistic and assume it's going to be a DS game with 3D characters on 2D backdrops. better than a full 3D DS game, but i am tired of creakily animated PS1-looking shit. it was fun the first time, but the second time...
 
#76
ferricide said:
but really, i can't but be pessimistic and assume it's going to be a DS game with 3D characters on 2D backdrops. better than a full 3D DS game, but i am tired of creakily animated PS1-looking shit. it was fun the first time, but the second time...
God, you guys are so fucking tedious with this stuff.
 

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
#82
Nice to see the Neverland company in action again, though ARPG has me a tad miffed. As long as we get some great mindbending puzzles and dungeons, I will be more than happy; 3D DS graphics or not - I still think Lufia 2 has some of the best RPG dungeons and puzzles of all time.

And hopefully Yasunori Shiono will be back for the music, Lufia 2 had some CHOOOOONS!
 
#83
Lufia 2 got even better once you realized that hidden passages existed in the game. I actually didn't even notice until my second time through.:lol
 
#87
honestly, the battles in the GBC one were the best in the series. battles are not its strong suit, so a switch to action wouldn't kill me.

though i'd like to see them revisit that gameplay -- it was really weird. hell, i'd like to revisit it, because i remember quite liking the battles but not precisely why anymore. i mean, they had 9 characters. it was odd.

i was supposed to review it for EGM but the review got cut. =\

the dungeons were hella boring though. randomly generated. very sad, given lufia II. the story was charming though, in true lufia style. i'd like to give that game another shot.
 

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
#88
joelseph said:
Rise of the Sinistrals 2 please!
Would be cool to play with Maxim's son and kick Arek once and for all. They needed to tie up that storyline anyway :)

ethelred said:
I would really recommend any fan of Lufia 2 to not give the GBA game a try. That's like saying "If you love Lunar, give Dragon Song a try!"
What you think was wrong with the game?
 

Feep

Second-hand Citizen
#89
Nekofrog said:
Lufia 2 is my absolute favorite SNES game of all time (and approaching my favorite RPG of all time).

I desperately hope that this is more in the vain of Lufia 2 and less in the rest. Lufia 2 proved to me that JRPGs can be more than grinding. The gameplay in Lufia 2 is fucking great. Want to skip a battle? Just avoid the monster on the map. PUZZLES OUT THE FUCKING WAZOO.

Let's all celebrate by listening to the greatest Lufia remix of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT2LJTr_A6s

Yeah, I'm pimping my crap again... but this news is just TOO exciting.
I've been waiting for a good remix of For the Savior for, what, 14 years now? Why can't someone on the internet do that already?
 

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
#90
Lufia is the first thing I thought of when Square bought Taito. Figured it was only a matter of time.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but it's been a long time since I've played a Square game I felt was anything better than mediocre, and I can't help but be reminded of the Mana revival right about now.
 

Feep

Second-hand Citizen
#92
Nekofrog said:
My remix has a brief reprise from For the Savior in it :)
And it is awesome, yes, but I just want three minutes of that glory. :lol

I actually had your remix YouTube-favorited since a couple months ago, when I found it. ^^
 
#94
Teetris said:
What you think was wrong with the game?
Everything.

Lost Fragment said:
I'm cautiously optimistic, but it's been a long time since I've played a Square game I felt was anything better than mediocre, and I can't help but be reminded of the Mana revival right about now.
I'm hopeful that Miyata isn't quite as nuts as Ishii... though Miyata does have some weird ideas every now and then (see: Cima and Lufia: The Legend Returns).
 
#97
Teetris said:
Would be cool to play with Maxim's son and kick Arek once and for all. They needed to tie up that storyline anyway :)

What you think was wrong with the game?
Arek was a Neutral Superbeing, much like how
Erim/Lufia
is a Good Superbeing and Daos, Gades and Amon being Evil Superbeings.