• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Lufia (Estpolis) will be announced soon

Shouta

Black-Wind said:
Lov Tia!

pissed that she had to leave the team . . . stuck with weak magic now in the first boss fight after the time jump. >_>

Yeah, I like her new design. I thought her old design, while serviceable, was pretty terrible overall. This one makes her stand out more while keeping the general feel the same relative to Selan. I have this odd feeling they may rewrite it to include her until the end or much longer because she's listed with her own Wave Arts.

Dragona Akehi said:
She looks like someone from the Shia clan...

She still sucks.

j00 sux!

Gunloc said:
Hey guys, you remember Tia don't you?

[IMGhttp://i46.tinypic.com/k9hs2v.jpg[/IMG]

Ah, good old Tia. With the orange hair and the teddy bear suitcase.... and that chain monster thing..........................
Eww, she is that kind of sporty gothic lolita now.

I really don't expect anything from this reinterpretation anymore. It's just so not Lufia anymore.
Still hoping for a good game, though.

What the hell have they done to Tia?! :lol I'm trying so hard to keep an open mind for this game, but damn. Waiting for Artea; hopefully they haven't changed him from an elf to a cat person or something.

Hobbun

Gunloc said:
I don't even know what this is anymore. The style of game play is quite out of the norm for the series, and almost all of the character designs are so strangely different than the source material. And it's not even that the designs are that bad, because I don't really mind any of them. But this is taking the whole reboot thing a bit too far.

This should have been a new game in the series. Does Square Enix/Neverland think the Lufia II characters and setting are so vital to the game's success that they must reuse them despite the fact that they obviously want to go in a completely different direction? It's not like new fans are going to be drawn in by the fact that they are "remaking" the second game, and most old fans that I've talked to so far are not really impressed with what they are doing to the characters and lore.

Who exactly are they trying to target with this game? Because it certainly doesn't seem to be the long time Lufia/Estpolis players.

I know it's a bit early to be saying this, but the more I see of this game, the less impressed I am. It actually seems to just make me feel more depressed about the current status of this series. Will we ever see a traditional Lufia game again?

Agree with this completely.

And what's really sad is it is, from what I understand, it's the original Lufia team from 1 and 2. They should know better.

Shouta said:
Yeah, I like her new design. I thought her old design, while serviceable, was pretty terrible overall. This one makes her stand out more while keeping the general feel the same relative to Selan.
And you think turning her into the stereotypical annoying RPG girl is going to help? :lol

Hobbun said:
Agree with this completely.

And what's really sad is it is, from what I understand, the original Lufia team from 1 and 2. They should know better.
I complained about that before. What's wrong with all the game developers these days? Jeez, do a remake or make a new game!

Johann

Gunloc said:
I don't even know what this is anymore. The style of game play is quite out of the norm for the series, and almost all of the character designs are so strangely different than the source material. And it's not even that the designs are that bad, because I don't really mind any of them. But this is taking the whole reboot thing a bit too far.

This should have been a new game in the series. Does Square Enix/Neverland think the Lufia II characters and setting are so vital to the game's success that they must reuse them despite the fact that they obviously want to go in a completely different direction? It's not like new fans are going to be drawn in by the fact that they are "remaking" the second game, and most old fans that I've talked to so far are not really impressed with what they are doing to the characters and lore.

Who exactly are they trying to target with this game? Because it certainly doesn't seem to be the long time Lufia/Estpolis players.

I know it's a bit early to be saying this, but the more I see of this game, the less impressed I am. It actually seems to just make me feel more depressed about the current status of this series. Will we ever see a traditional Lufia game again?

You won't get anywhere with that attitude! Think of it as remaking a classic film, such as The Day the Earth Stood Still, All the King's Men, or Planet of the Apes. Those movies were okay back then but this generation remade them into something much better. We now have the technology to make games into even more awesome games. Just look at the 3D graphics in the game!

Shouta

Prime Blue said:
And you think turning her into the stereotypical annoying RPG girl is going to help? :lol

And her old design wasn't? Generic fantasy girl and an even sillier weapon (cloth whip!). I love Tia but her old design is definitely not better than her new one, in the scope of game's two styles.

Wilsongt

duckroll said:
Dengeki has an interview with the developers as well as the S-E producer. It confirms that the people making the game are the same people who created Lufia.

Director: Masahide Miyata (director of Lufia 1 and 2, and the Rune Factory series)
Main Planner: Naoyuki Ukeda (main planner of Lufia 1 and 2, director of Shining Force Neo)

Miyata is not only directing the game, but he's also writing the scenario, and handling game design along with Ukeda.

...:( He did go great with Lufia...

Tia looks funny, i like it(that Chain Chomp coming out of her bag is awesome :lol )

the ones that i can't swallow are Maxim and Guy... dear God i wonder what will they do to Arty...

New Famitsu reveals the "updated" designs for Guy, Artea & Dekar. (Now Hydekar.)

I hope you guys aren't attached to how Artea and Dekar used to look. Seriously.

Shouta

Gunloc said:
New Famitsu reveals the "updated" designs for Guy, Artea & Dekar. (Now Hydekar.)

I hope you guys aren't attached to how Artea and Dekar used to look. Seriously.

Hydecka was always his JP name. Dekar was picked for his English name, probably because of character length.

It looks like I'm going to have more stuff to scan in this week. :lol I dig Dekar's new design since it fits well, though I wish they had kept the same hair coloring as the original game, purple with strands of red.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's actually a full twelve page blowout, with half of them seeming to literally be straight up ad pages (and also redesign reveals). I'm surprised how seriously Square Enix seems to be advertising this.

Shouta said:
Hydecka was always his JP name. Dekar was picked for his English name, probably because of character length.

It looks like I'm going to have more stuff to scan in this week. :lol I dig Dekar's new design since it fits well, though I wish they had kept the same hair coloring as the original game, purple with strands of red.

Interesting thing to note is that the US manual for Lufia II has "Hydecka" listed as Dekar's name.

Vamphuntr

Dragona Akehi said:
Interesting thing to note is that the US manual for Lufia II has "Hydecka" listed as Dekar's name.

I just checked and you're right in his bio they use Hydecka. It also have Lexus instead of Lexis in his bio. Might be a typo though.

Shouta said:
And her old design wasn't?
Judging from the voice actress and the character design, the new Tia - as mentioned - is one of those stereotypical annoying RPG girls, along the lines of Yuffie and Selphie. Didn't get that vibe in the original game at all, there she was just a lighthearted girl suffering from unrequited love.

jman2050

Prime Blue said:
Judging from the voice actress and the character design, the new Tia - as mentioned - is one of those stereotypical annoying RPG girls, along the lines of Yuffie and Selphie. Didn't get that vibe in the original game at all, there she was just a lighthearted girl suffering from unrequited love.

and a whiny bitch complex. Good riddance to original Tia as far as I'm concerned!

Rpgmonkey said:
Still not feeling Guy's design...
Guy's actually my favorite and the only one I feel is an improvement over the original. Selan's is alright too, though I like the original better.

All the rest feel like completely different characters to me.

jman2050 said:
and a whiny bitch complex. Good riddance to original Tia as far as I'm concerned!
Could be that the English version forged a very different character for her, but in the German version, she was fine.

Shouta said:
Hydecka was always his JP name.
There are heavy inconsistencies with the romanizations, though. Famitsu uses Hydekar, while the soundtrack booklet says Hidecka. Famitsu uses Selena and Gades, while the trailer says Serena and Gadess. Don't even know how the magazine got Artea from the katakana form. Maybe the name Artea is used in the Japanese version as well?

Shouta

Prime Blue said:
There are heavy inconsistencies with the romanizations, though. Famitsu uses Hydekar, while the soundtrack booklet says Hidecka. Famitsu uses Selena and Gades, while the trailer says Serena and Gadess. Don't even know how the magazine got Artea from the katakana form. Maybe the name Artea is used in the Japanese version as well?

Hidecka is the same as Hydecka, just different letter, flavored up a bit if you will. Hydekar comes from the fact that the why Hydecka is spelled in Japanese, the r can be added or removed depending on the original word since Japanese doesn't indicate this hence why Decka or Dekar is valid.

And Artea probably comes from アーチィ with the chii being tea like the drink.

Prime Blue said:
Could be that the English version forged a very different character for her, but in the German version, she was fine.
I don't think it was any difference, Tia just happens to be a very polarizing character. I personally have no problem with her and thought she provided a different perspective to the narrative that's missing from a lot of RPGs. Her scene in the ending was quite poignant.

Shouta said:
Hidecka is the same as Hydecka, just different letter, flavored up a bit if you will. Hydekar comes from the fact that the why Hydecka is spelled in Japanese, the r can be added or removed depending on the original word since Japanese doesn't indicate this hence why Decka or Dekar is valid.
Best transliteration is still Heidecker...
I just never liked the romanizations from the OST, Rexas and Pulifia being two more examples.

Lucavious

Title screen

ds_estpolis.jpg

Idura!

Idura.png

Shouta

So checking out the creator interview from famitsu that came out last week, it's pretty interesting. They definitely wanted to try something new with the game and to that end they pretty much worked the game from the story and stuff from the ground up. There'll be similarities but a lot of it will be new. Even the world map isn't the same this time around.

On the characters, they apparently added a lot more for Maxim and Selan to work use as backbone. I think this is because their relationship is such a key factor in the end of the game so I guess they wanted to flesh it out a bit more. Tia is pretty different now, personality and image-wise she's a little different and it seems like they make take her story a bit further than it was last time.

On Guy's design, the old version was the strongman but a thin build. So they thought it would be a nice change to make him a lot more fitting of the strongman role this time around (hence his current design.

Artea is largely the same in concept, his design seems to be the only major difference (purple-haired dainty elf vs Blonde pretty boy elf, eh same thing).

On Dekar, because he has a pretty important scene in comforting Tia, and I think they expanded it a bit more and may have Dekar jump into the triangle for some of it (probably silliness). They actually helped reflect his master of a thousand techniques gag a bit in his gameplay elements. He's able to use all the weapons of the other characters apparently.

Kishgal

Banned
Shouta said:
Artea is largely the same in concept, his design seems to be the only major difference (purple-haired dainty elf vs Blonde pretty boy elf, eh same thing).
It's not the same thing. :( Artea having blue hair was, like, his defining feature.

Still, I'm pretty interested in this. I intend to approach it with the mindset that it's a new game, though, because I think I might be really disappointed otherwise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems the site added in the newly revealed characters. Here's everyone we have so far:

Maxim:
a3yxef.jpg

Selan:
1smnwz.jpg

Tia:
nofqq8.jpg

Guy:
15q83fq.jpg

Dekar:
28hzuvq.jpg

Artea:
20qnity.jpg

Gades:
k9c6c2.jpg

Kishgal

Banned
The last one is Gades.

I still don't know about Tia's design. The stuffed animal in her suitcase reminds me so much of Anise from Tales of the Abyss, which is just not the sort of association I want to have for a Lufia game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kishgal said:
The last one is Gades.

I still don't know about Tia's design. The stuffed animal in her suitcase reminds me so much of Anise from Tales of the Abyss, which is just not the sort of association I want to have for a Lufia game.
Thanks. Fixed the name.

Shouta

I scanned in the ad pages with the character art for each of them. I was gonna do a nice cut out for each and make a wallpaper or something with them.

Does anyone know if they're keeping the same music (or at least some variant?). I'm going to rage if they don't have the sinistral battle theme.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
lucablight said:
Does anyone know if they're keeping the same music (or at least some variant?). I'm going to rage if they don't have the sinistral battle theme.
Yep:
Rpgmonkey said:
-They're bringing back music from I and II
-The sound quality has been improved without tampering with the melody line

Johann

Dragona Akehi said:
At least Dekar looks totally retarded and airheaded still when dealing with Idura.

Isn't it kind of misleading that he isn't bulkier than Guy. Or did the make Guy more powerful than Dekar? At least Artea looks about the same save for the hair color.

jman2050

As questionable as some other designs are, Dekar looks as awesome as he always was.

If they take out the final scene of him at the end of the original game before the Fortress fights I'm going to be pissed.

Top Bottom