• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New major publisher coming to GoG

mclem

FbOkCwH.png

In four days, GoG will be revealing the new publisher they've signed. They've hinted that it's a high-profile one, with a number of games on the official GoG wishlist.

That's the official story. But there's one other aspect that's of particular interest. A GoG user did a bit of poking around the website, and found a number of images that - it would appear - will be appearing at certain stages of the countdown:

WBvWUcW.png

lLM3c6p.png

tPpHYf7.png

Don't those fonts look awfully familiar?

This could be the big one.

7K06PaN.jpg

Now, I have to underline, as said in the GoG thread: GoG have been known to be deliberately misleading. I'm reluctant to get my hopes up too far. But, well, that's awfully compelling evidence.

TimmiT

I remember that someone from GOG said in an interview that one of these publishers will be added: Disney (which would include LucasArts), T2 Games and another published I don't remember. Seeing how Disney has been releasing stuff on Steam lately, I'd say that they're the most likely one.

Jawmuncher

I remember that someone from GOG said in an interview that one of these publishers will be added: Disney (which would include LucasArts), T2 Games and another published I don't remember. Seeing how Disney has been releasing stuff on Steam lately, I'd say that they're the most likely one.

Yeah they're actually a highly likely company at this point. Whether we get the games we want is another matter.

bigkrev

Disney is in the business of making money, so this doesn't surprise me. You have the Grim Fandango thing with Double Fine, you had the mass influx of games to Steam last week, and now you have this.

The bigger question is if it includes Star Wars games or not.

I don't think they said "one of these three will be added" but "there are three big publishers left we keep getting requests for".

the third was Microsoft.

georly

Oh fantastic, I really hope all the old lucasarts stuff is there, as well as some of the impossible-to-buy starwars stuff.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hit The Road font would have been on there if it was part of the deal, so that bums me out. I have no idea who has the rights to 'sell' that thing anymore. I think Toonstruck suffers a similar fate.

TimmiT

I don't think they said "one of these three will be added" but "there are three big publishers left we keep getting requests for".

the third was Microsoft.

Just found the interview I was talking about:
I'm guessing you're not going to give any teases about who that might be…

I cannot tell you who that's gonna be, but I can tell you something else. We have more or less three major publishers missing when it comes to classic games. There is Microsoft, there is Disney, and finally, there is Take-Two. It's one of these [laughs].
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gog-celebrates-six-years-of-advancing-the-drm-free/1100-6422150/

He was definitely talking about how one of those three will be added soon.

Hit The Road font would have been on there if it was part of the deal, so that bums me out. I have no idea who has the rights to 'sell' that thing anymore. I think Toonstruck suffers a similar fate.

Should just need agreement from Disney and Purcell thought right? Not that convoluted.

mclem

Hit The Road font would have been on there if it was part of the deal, so that bums me out.

I wouldn't assume that. I think the fonts here are meant to be immediately associated with the franchises rather than the individual games, and the font for Sam & Max isn't all *that* iconic, not like the other three examples.

Unmoses

Now everyone will get a chance to play the greatest game ever made: Tie Fighter.

YES.. though I have been able to play it somewhat from my old disc- can't recall how I did it some website had some msi installer patch created by someone else.. I need a new joystick though, I bought this logitech stick a while back that keeps drifting :( and I still stare at the broken carcass of my old microsoft rumble joystick

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I don't even care if none of these work on Mac, I'm buying them anyways.

(Dare I hope for Tie-Fighter CD-ROM Edition?)

Well if you're talking DOS stuff then Mac support is a gimme what with DOSBox working fine on Mac. ScummVM has a Mac version too for all the adventure game stuff.

Holy shit is it really happening?!

They're all non-canon now except potentially the upcoming stuff from EA IIRC.

Everything prior to April 2014 other than the two trilogies and Star Wars: The Clone Wars (As Lucas was involved in all of these) are now non-canon. Anything after, including the recent Darth Maul Dark Horse comic, is now considered as part of the Star Wars universe as a whole. So any games EA makes unless specifically stated as non-canon, will be canon.

Well if you're talking DOS stuff then Mac support is a gimme what with DOSBox working fine on Mac. ScummVM has a Mac version too for all the adventure game stuff.

It's a shame that GOG doesn't support that right off the bat. I still have some Zork and old Sierra titles that don't let me download the .EXE separately.

They're all non-canon now except potentially the upcoming stuff from EA IIRC.

Yeah, I guess that is true. But even still, at the time of release this game was considered non-canon? (genuinely can't remember)

Either way, that game was amazing, I don't think it is on steam either, so it would be amazing if it got a release!

Edit: side note, i fucked the name up. It's Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

I also was hoping for NOLF even though that doesn't fit at all. This is OK too I guess.

Wonder if they will go in on a GOG Galaxy Far, Far Away.

Yeah, I guess that is true. But even still, at the time of release this game was considered non-canon? (genuinely can't remember)

Either way, that game was amazing, I don't think it is on steam either, so it would be amazing if it got a release!

Edit: side note, i fucked the name up. It's Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

The expanded universe was a pretty fucked thing before the relaunch this year. Most of it was considered canon unless Lucas created something that was within direct contradiction to it as his canon was obviously considered to the king of all canon. I believe JKII was canon though.

Top Bottom