• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Majora's Mask 3DS vs N64 side by side graphics comparison

ghibli99

I'm diggin' it. I never did like the muddy, dark colors and fogginess of so many N64 games. The new, vibrant look is nice. I can't wait to play it again!

I love the new look. The slight oversaturation gives it more of a surreal edge, particularly in the forest in the intro.

Now I just hope Gamestop doesn't up and cancel my LE preorder.

I'm loving those colours.
I agree, having such vibrant colours really offsets the dark theme of the game. Also the fact that they aren't really vibrant in a 'positive' way, the colour scheme is very unsettling. It's so good.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
reminds me of the way the skybox for ocarina's final boss went supernova in the remake. it changes the tone and atmosphere a lot, and while it's obviously technically superior in every way i'm not entirely sure i prefer it.

nasos_333

Looks amazing, a lot better technically

The new art style is also nice, even though i prefered the more earth like color palette of the original. I have noticed a blue overuse in both OOT and this one on 3DS.

Still it is a new way to play the game, which is perfectly nice.

EDIT: beaten to my comments above :)

Neiteio

I honestly think this is the best looking game I've seen so far on the console, bar resi revelations.
Agreed. It's also bound to be the best game experience on the 3DS, as well, since it's Majora's Mask!

Newcomers, you are in for a treat -- I've often cited MM as my all-time favorite game, up there with RE4 and DKC2, and this remake looks top-notch. Read my primer on how the time system works, and enjoy the most dynamic and engaging Zelda game ever made.

I'm especially excited to hear Chadboban's impressions. :)

The wait has paid off. I only purchased MM a year ago for my 64 and didn't get more than ~5 hours into it. I cannot fucking wait to play this on my [LE MM] new 3ds. I played/watched my brother play OoT for probably 100 hours throughout my childhood and still only beat it for my first time on 3ds, so I know I will be finishing MM as well. I am so happy this will be in my hands in about a month, it looks amazing and the framerate jump will be incredible

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Looks gorgeous. I wonder if this is using a tweaked version of OoT 3D's engine? The lighting looks more advanced at the very least (Didn't you need the RAM pack on the N64 to play this?)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
google image based search brought up this. More clutter, but could prob blend them.

73637-1500-1200.jpg

Here I touched it up with the 2 pictures

zWEg42j.jpg

ktroopa

its looks great, tho once thing i immediately noticed was the scene where skull kid plays the ocarina and turns round once link wakes up at 2:08. the N64 has a much closer shot of his face and was far creepier as he turns to face link. 3DS is a wide shot of the sequence and looks worse imo. I remember this scene like yesterday lol.. its a classic part of the game for me

E-Cat

They really fucked up Link's face here. The old Link had a stern, determined gaze. The new one sports this naive, hollow expression. And his mouth is huge.

10525881_960972923922059_3729327199236005569_n.jpg

Empty

the blue light looks really cheesy. i like the starkness of the original more.

i'm definitely going to play this game when the remake comes out as i've been needing an excuse for years, but i'm not sure whether to get the 3ds version or the wii virtual console one. need to read more about the changes i think.

the blue light looks really cheesy. i like the starkness of the original more.

i'm definitely going to play this game when the remake comes out as i've been needing an excuse for years, but i'm not sure whether to get the 3ds version or the wii virtual console one. need to read more about the changes i think.

Cheesy? What? It really adds to the atmosphere of the game. I really can't understand how it is possible to complain about something amazing like this remake. And I like to complain when Nintendo does something wrong, but this remake is just perfection.

DVCY201

Zelda Informer are a terrible, terrible source for any information.

Either way I bet we wont know for sure until release. But its gonna be 30fps.

Well, the source is Hidden Triforce, but I've never heard of them.

I think the animations are 60fps though, and everything else is 30.

Rich!

Do we know much about any gameplay changes?

You no longer save by using song of time. Instead you have hard saves at statues around the world. Also, song of double time allows you to choose a time in the future to skip to.

Basically, nintendo pussied out and gave in to the whiners. Classic mode plz.

Mr Swine

Banned
this looks so so good! definitely the best 3D Zelda ever made! Can't wait to replay it again! ladt time was on the Zelda collection on Gamecube!

So I'm getting my first 3DS with the upcoming MH4 bundle. Is this game pretty much a must-buy?

I haven't played a Zelda since the original, mostly because I didn't own Nintendo systems for a good while. I do enjoy action/adventure games with a good story. What can I expect out of MM?

Rich!

I prefer the fog. Makes it look like a damp, muggy forest.

Yeah. It looks far more atmopheric

I have no complaints with any of the visual changes. At all. And for anyone complaining about bright colours, Majoras Mask was always a game full of garish colours and designs - the N64 and its graphics chip just suppressed all that.

jett

D-Member
Seems to be about the same upgrade OOT got. New textures, new lighting, but mostly respected the original art design and overall polygonal structure of the environments.

Rich!

Seems to be about the same upgrade OOT got. New textures, new lighting, but mostly respected the original art design and overall polygonal structure of the environments.

I disagree.

I would personally say its far more significant in terms of changes than what OOT had. Clock Town has been drastically changed in some areas, the location south of woodfall is different and has more trees, and theres been additions of brand new areas such as the new fishing ponds which werent in the original game. Also, the opening cinematic is in an actual polygonal forest now rather than against a cardboard cutout of one.

And this is just from looking at trailers and a small amount of hands on videos.

This is a very ridiculous comment.

I prefer the fog. Makes it look like a damp, muggy forest.

People seem to be focusing on the other graphical details. They are not fog. Fog, when used effectively adds lots of atmosphere.

Here is Link riding in deep fog. Now we have link riding away from some sort of night club while not being in fog at all.

capture37s34.png

Here is Link standing in a foggy and ominous deep forest. Now here is Link standing in the edge of a open forest while his horse inspects the nicer grass on the ground.

fog2kwkrn.png

People claiming they prefer the new version just don't seem to understand fog.

Rich!

People seem to be focusing on the other graphical details. They are not fog. Fog, when used effectively adds lots of atmosphere.

Here is Link riding out of the fog. Now it is link riding away from some sort of night club.

capture37s34.png

Here is Link standing in a foggy and ominous forest. Now here is Link standing in the middle of the forest while his horse inspects the nicer grass on the ground.

fog2kwkrn.png

What are you on about? The new version looks fine. It gives off an eerie early morning atmosphere and the light shining through the trees is a great effect.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Here is Link riding in deep fog. Now we have link riding away from some sort of night club while not being in fog at all.

capture37s34.png

Here is Link standing in a foggy and ominous deep forest. Now here is Link standing in the edge of a open forest while his horse inspects the nicer grass on the ground.

fog2kwkrn.png

What the hell? Don't understand fog? Is this what we've come to?

toddhunter
Understands Fog

gerudoman

Looks almost too good. And by that I mean that we still have to wait another month to get our hands on it. The wait is going to be unbereable :(

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

capture37s34.png

fog2kwkrn.png

Have you ever played an N64 game before? Every game added massive amounts of fog to cover the system limitations. The 3DS has no such limitations so it doesn't have to handicap every game with muddy looking fog.

capture37s34.png

fog2kwkrn.png

It's gonna be the OOT 3DS "too much brightness!" argument all over again isn't it?

Anyway in both versions Link looks like he's travelling through the lost woods, which is what he's supposed to be doing anyway.

Lynd7

Have you ever played an N64 game before? Every game added massive amounts of fog to cover the system limitations. The 3DS has no such limitations so it doesn't have to handicap every game with muddy looking fog.

Eh, that is true of some games, I wouldn't say Oot or MM suffer from fog though. The fog in this scene was intentional I'd say.

Yeah I have... like Majora's mask for instance which is a great example to use.

As it happens it doesn't have fog everywhere, just in places that are supposed to be particularly foggy, like this forest, which matches the actual context of Link travelling in said forest at the time of this cutscene.

Red

capture37s34.png

fog2kwkrn.png

If there was no atmosphere in the remake, Link would suffocate. Your move, toddhunter.

Top Bottom