• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Majora's Mask 3DS vs N64 side by side graphics comparison

chadboban

Probably posted already in one of the countless Majora's Mask threads. But I thought this video really did a good job of showing the improvements made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvV56AJS8dY

This is gonna be my first experience with Majora's Mask. I can't wait!

Edit: Quick note, the NWR video dreamcast2 posted is sooo much better than the one I originally posted. You can see it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzJI_5jAnI8

Remade gifs from the NWR video

ymspvm.gif

vspbiz.gif

dhdzfq.gif

Update: New comparison from the same person https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZ4eAbW4uk

Update 2:
Made a couple gifs from the NWR comparison video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzJI_5jAnI8

cnzogi.gif

uothvy.gif

The one on the right looks a little oversaturated
Might just be the video and I understand that the lack of contrast in the N64 release might've been due to hardware limitations but I think I prefer it.

Pappasman

Not bad, they really captured a lot of the atmosphere from the original in this opening. The only thing I dislike is the blue hue for the fog. Some of the other footage i've seen has changed for the worse as well.

Jacobi

Banned
I really get a DC vibe from the 3DS version. Looks to me like the DC port of Majora's Mask that always was impossible...

Jamix012

Looks improved in the same way the Silent Hill games were improved.

Fog, the forgotten art.

Come on. I can understand not liking certain aspects of it, but on the whole it looks so much better. Now the gameplay...

I really get a DC vibe from the 3DS version. Looks to me like the DC port of Majora's Mask that always was impossible...

Don't see it, personally. Looks more Gamecube/Xbox to me. In fact it'd look better than those if not for the lower resolution IMO.

As someone was complained that it looked too similar to the N64 version upon it first reveal this puts me in my place. Draw distance seems to have improved and well as for framerate, I'd hope the 3DS could do more than what was it, 18fps?

That said I can't help but feel the N64 version is slightly zoomed in (edit: cropped was the word I'm looking for :( ) for this footage.

As for colours or textures, I find direct feed 3DS stuff can be a little oversaturated but then again I play me 3DS on the lower end of the brightness scale to save power.

Jacobi

Banned
Don't see it, personally. Looks more Gamecube/Xbox to me. In fact it'd look better than those if not for the lower resolution IMO.
I don't know, I think especially the look of the textures reminds me of DC games... The res and the filtering...

Ac30

Again, the options are 60FPS for this video....

Has it been confirmed that it's NOT 60FPS?

I'd like to know this too, I've heard youtube just speeds up the video but on a playthrough someone posted the video of the guy recording himself while playing seemed to play at 30 while the game was 60...

I actually like the more saturated colours, and I'm glad to see neither they, nor the greater draw distance, negatively effect the dark, forbidding atmosphere. The wait for this game is just killing me.

PusherT

Never played Majora Mask that and Skyward Sword. MM looks very spooky I can't wait, the graphics are updated too.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's weird, some instances, the different lighting looks better, other cases it looks worse

edit: That said, the added detail, refined animation, etc. are just fantastic.

Dimmle

Actually, I'm flipping between an image of young Link in OoT and young Link in MM and as far as I can tell, the only actual changes are more detailed textures on his bangs, forehead, and his eyebrows are less furrowed.

I guess he's not terribly different looking.

WarpathDC

Looks good. Mainly texture improvements from what I could tell. Still think 40 bucks is crazy for a mildly updated n64 game.

Roldan

The blue light (coming from nowhere) gave it a cool atmosphere. I liked it.

Also, I don't recall the opening sequence being THIS foggy mess in the 64, lol. Nostalgia glasses, I guess.

rjc571

Banned
Again, the options are 60FPS for this video....

Has it been confirmed that it's NOT 60FPS?

You can confirm it for yourself if you don't believe it's 30
1. Download the 60 fps version of this video using JDownloader 2 Beta or ChrisPC Tube. (These are the only download managers I know of that can download 60 fps videos from youtube.)
2. Open video in VLC
3. Press minus (on your keyboard) until the screen displays "Speed: 0.06x". This will cause the video to play at 1/16th of its normal speed.
4. Watch any gameplay portion of the video and see how many times the screen updates each second. The video will draw about 2 different frames each second during gameplay.
5. Skip to around 8:55 while keeping the speed at 1/16. When the player is navigating the menus, the video will update about 4 times per second (i.e. when the cursor moves).

Conclusion: 60 fps in menus, 30 fps in gameplay.

Jedi2016

Also, I don't recall the opening sequence being THIS foggy mess in the 64, lol. Nostalgia glasses, I guess.
Definitely. When I first saw OoT 3D, I thought it looked exactly the same as I remembered it. Your brain fills in the gaps, apparently, especially the more years that go by. What you think it looked like isn't actually what it looked like.

I've never played this game and looking at this intro for the first time, the N64 version looks like the whole scene takes place downwind from a coal processing facility, holy shit that fog. The 3DS version is leagues better, without question. Honestly, those claiming otherwise need to wipe the nostolgia goggles. Glad I waited over a decade to play, lol.

Noema

All character models seem improved with more complex geometry, specially noticeable on Epona, so it's not just better textures. Cutscenes seem tweaked too, possibly to accommodate the 3DS' different, squatter aspect ratio. Camera has been repositioned here and there and some of the cuts are less jarring. Even some of the animations seem redone. A lot of work has gone into this.

This is quite an upgrade in every way. It's not just an upres +AA/AF like many remasters these days. Not to mention frame rate in the original was choppy to say the least. Also, dat N64 fog. Glad to see it gone.

Dad

The 3DS version actually uses some atmospheric lighting to set the mood instead of just relying on an ugly fog filter. I'm really liking the look of this so far.

Drago

Any news about how this will run on the old 3DS, I'm not upgrading and I'm worried that I'll get a poorer experience?
It should run exactly the same on either old or New 3DS. You can even use a Circle Pad Pro with the game on original hardware for the N3DS camera control.

zeldablue

I prefer the snappier animations of the original. Also, Link's new face and head size isn't as...good. For some reason he seems even less emotive. :p

JP

Have they ever explained how they actually made this? The same for Ocarina of Time 3D? Do they just start from scratch an essentially build a whole new game as there seems to be very little that they're using in the 3DS that is the same as was used in the original version.

Have they ever explained how they actually made this? The same for Ocarina of Time 3D? Do they just start from scratch an essentially build a whole new game as there seems to be very little that they're using in the 3DS that is the same as was used in the original version.

It's built on top of the original game, or at least OoT3D was.

Top Bottom