• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Majora's Mask 3DS vs N64 side by side graphics comparison

orborborb

Looking great, but even just visually they've changed too much for this to be the definitive version of the game the way that I felt their 3DS Ocarina remake was. That game seemed to me to be approximately the same experience that the original team would have made if they'd just had a little more power to work with, whereas Majora has more "reimagining" going on.

Looking great, but even just visually they've changed too much for this to be the definitive version of the game the way that I felt their 3DS Ocarina remake was.I felt that game was approximately the same experience that the original team would have made if they'd just had a little more power to work with, whereas Majora has more "reimagining" going on.

I agree with your point about the original team. I have the VC version in my backlog, but I've played through the opening a couple times and these new images are a little too... clear? I don't know. Can't put my finger on it.

Preorder cancelled maybe?

Jamix012

Looking great, but even just visually they've changed too much for this to be the definitive version of the game the way that I felt their 3DS Ocarina remake was. That game seemed to me to be approximately the same experience that the original team would have made if they'd just had a little more power to work with, whereas Majora has more "reimagining" going on.

I kind of agree, though I do like the re-imagining when it comes to the graphics, personally. This feels closer to REmake and Twin Snakes then something like TLOU:R or OoT3D, even though it probably took less work then the former 2.

Eblo

Again, the options are 60FPS for this video....

Has it been confirmed that it's NOT 60FPS?

I'm curious; how did this rumor get started? I've heard for months that it would run in 60fps if played on New 3DS.

Game looks buttery smooth and swell regardless, I should add. The coloring is much better.

Dimmle

The original game looks downright dingy compared to the remake. Plus, actual parallax effects with a thicker forest (that is modeled instead of half texture work) and a combined fog and lighting effect that truly looks like a forest at dawn. Beautiful work. This is what I play in my head when I remember Majora's Mask.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm curious; how did this rumor get started? I've heard for months that it would run in 60fps if played on New 3DS.

Game looks buttery smooth and swell regardless, I should add. The coloring is much better.

The reveal footage in October had segments that ran at 60fps.

I really hope the next Nintendo handheld (not n3DS) has backward compatibility and a high-res screen. The 3DS resolution is the only real bottleneck in a truly superb-looking game.

Mononoke

Banned
I agree with your point about the original team. I have the VC version in my backlog, but I've played through the opening a couple times and these new images are a little too... clear? I don't know. Can't put my finger on it.

Preorder cancelled maybe?

I think it looks infinitely better in almost every way. Personally. That said, I agree there are some things that look off. Skull Kid looks strange in some parts in the new one. Like I actually prefer how he looked on the n64 more. Not the resolution, but just what his face looked like.

RagnarokX

Looks improved in the same way the Silent Hill games were improved.

Fog, the forgotten art.

This is a very ridiculous comment.

The fog in Silent Hill served much more purpose in Silent Hill. It's a horror game and the thick fog makes it hard to see what might be lurking around, which heightens the sense of fear. The fog in that cutscene in Majora's Mask is mainly there because that forest is a very small room where the walls are a flat picture of trees. If it were any less foggy that scene would look horrible. You can already see the edge where the wall of trees is.

In Silent Hill HD Collection they just reduced the fog and fucked up the fog effects. This made it possible to see things you weren't supposed to see. The fog had a very clear and unnatural fog line and fog particles popped in.

zV6Fp.jpg

In Majora's Mask 3D they completely remodeled the entire scene. The trees are no longer a wall with a flat picture of trees on it. All of those trees are there (or at least 2D versions of trees for those in the background) as you can see thanks to the parallax.

uutrrc.gif

See here you can see that the background trees have no parallax in the N64 version because they are a flat picture. You can see the border where the wall meets the ground.

The fog in the MM3D version of the scene also looks a lot more natural along with the light filtering through the trees and the shifting shadows from the supposed foliage making the scene a bit eerier. It has less fog because it doesn't need the fog like the original scene does, but the fog it does have is much more well-done.

Silent Hill HD Collection also fucked things up by retexturing the environment in a way that made everything look cleaner and less detailed, while MM3D's new textures improve the visuals completely.

Yikes, i didn't expect that much of a difference. I actually do prefer the old grey, foggy and dark tones rather than the light, contrasty new ones.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That looks a bit worse than my current background, which is a cropped image of the moon and clocktower in 1080p. I don't know what the source is though, but someone on GAF posted an upscaled version.

Wow that was a total brain fart moment on my part. I messed up when google searching to specify only showing PNG images. I didn't really look at it, just assumed that the large filesize in conjunction with PNG would mean max quality. Totally my bad.

Anth0ny

Hmm, I really like both. I probably prefer the original's darker, foggier look, but that blue in the new version is pretty damn cool too.

SmithnCo

The blue fog in the new version is interesting, dunno if I prefer it over the more natural looking original fog but it looks nice all the same. Besides that it looks improved in all areas.

Greenzxy

Yea both games definitely have there own feel, the new one has a more pretty look going on, while the old one is more atmospheric. Now that I remember, the less refined n64 graphics and grey tones played a big role in how creepy the game felt. I feel the updated graphics kind of takes away from that feeling with it's more saturated approach.

i'm blue da ba de da ba die

da ba de da ba die

da ba de da ba die

da ba de da ba die

da ba de da ba die

da ba de da ba die

da ba de da ba dieeeeee

The intro sequence looks almost completely redone. The textures on the wall in clock town look much improved. Can't wait to play this.

DarkKyo

They boosted the atmosphere tenfold with this upgrade. I can't wait as I don't remember much from MM and have only played it once really.

Is it possible to collect all the masks without hints/a walkthrough? By that I mean are some of the unlocks super obscure to the point that they are almost impossible to find without help? Or is it the kind of thing where if you talk to every NPC in the game you can probably find your way to each mask? I only ask because it's been forever since I first played it and I don't remember much about how to get 90% of the masks.

Teknoman

What kills me about Nintendo remakes is that unlike other games, they make you never want to play the original again lol. Not that its a bad thing, but with OoT 3D, Wind Waker HD, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and now this, I dont think i'd ever touch the original versions, aside from for reference purposes.

Eblo

Is it possible to collect all the masks without hints/a walkthrough? By that I mean are some of the unlocks super obscure to the point that they are almost impossible to find without help? Or is it the kind of thing where if you talk to every NPC in the game you can probably find your way to each mask? I only ask because it's been forever since I first played it and I don't remember much about how to get 90% of the masks.

Yes, but it takes patience. One sidequest requires you to dedicate a whole three-day cycle to it. And you'll need to do it twice to get 100%, as the penultimate reward is either a mask or a bottle depending on how you decide to do one of the last objectives. Nothing is too obscure to require a guide, however. Simply exploring and talking to NPCs should give you all of the insight you need.

Bagu

I don't think the redone intro is any less atmospheric then then old one. Rather, it goes for different kind of atmosphere.

The old intro comes off a sort of hazy dream while the new one tries something else. Can't place it in words right now, but I like it.

Both are good really.

Astral Dog

I wil say, that, aside from the town, wich loses a bit of atmosphere with the bright colors, everything else is an improvment, blue and all.
Child Link from Ocarina 3D does look a little weird though.

Lynd7

I do like the N64 more drab look, but this looks pretty nice too.

Shame child Link's model wasn't changed slightly too. Going from Oot to MM on the N64, it sorta made Link look slightly older cause his model was a bit different.

synce

Although I think the jump to 30fps is way more important this looks great. I wish we'd see more remakes of early 3D games and less HD portage

So hyped. Think I'm gonna try and beat OoT3D in the next few weeks.

A couple years ago that would've been easy. These days I don't have as much time :(

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Goddamn this looks good.

Still pissed there are no enhancements for the New 3DS hardware. Disappointing for a launch title with it's own special edition console.

Something small like better AA in 3D, or a higher framerate, or some better effects here or there. But nothing...

Oh well.

Top Bottom