• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mandatory PSP update came out today. 6.61 FW

B.K.

I've been Googling. It looks like it's some kind of glitch, maybe? I'm finding reports of people getting prompts to update to 6.61 as far back as 2012. Sony's PSP website still lists 6.60 as the latest firmware.

I found out from the Mod scene that this came out today too. I turned on my PSP and low and behold, i got the prompt to update. lol.

I dont think it fixes any exploits, just weird to see an update

Syriel

The PSP is hacked to hell and back. There's pretty much no way to combat it at this point.

Keeping it consistent with the PSP emulator in the Vita would also be a reason. And if there was a possible exploit there, Sony would want to patch it as the games are still sold on PSN and Sony does care about Vita exploits (even sandboxed ones).

Aeana

Well, I can confirm that my PSP does indeed download an update and it's marked 6.61. I didn't install it, nor do I plan to.

Aeana

What happens if you don't update it? Didn't they take the store down anyway?

The store is still available in NA and Japan, it was only taken down in Europe. And AFAIK everybody can download from their download lists on the system. It may also be that the PS3 won't let you transfer unless the PSP is updated, not sure.

Marcus

what_year_is_it.jpg

The PSP is lonely. He always loved the FW gifts Sony-senpai would give him. But then Sony-senpai stopped noticing the PSP, and he became mad. Now the PSP is starting to become sentient and it's doing it's own FW gifts that he never received. Humanity will regret the day they ignored the cute PSP-chan in favor of Life-kun.

I also think this is very strange though... Maybe a bug?

Aeana

The PSP is lonely. He always loved the FW gifts Sony-senpai would give him. But then Sony-senpai stopped noticing the PSP, and he became mad. Now the PSP is starting to become sentient and it's doing it's own FW gifts that he never received. Humanity will regret the day they ignored the cute PSP-chan in favor of Life-kun.

I also think this is very strange though... Maybe a bug?

It doesn't seem to be a bug. It's listed directly on the official update list file

http://fj01.psp.update.playstation.org/update/jp/psp-updatelist.txt

CompC

I bet it renames PlayStation Network to "PSN" since they officially changed t name a while ago.

But wait, the PSP can't access PSN anymore. So hmm. Well, at least, it can't acsss the PlayStation Store...

antibolo

Banned
You sure it's not that you never updated to the last one?

For the PSP? Not sure they make almost any money from software on that anymore.

Ahem, Brandish was released this week, and Trails In the Sky SC is coming later this year.

And Japan is still getting new UMD releases, believe it or not.

Top Bottom