• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mario Kart 8 Deluxe gameplay

CaVaYeRo

So embargo just lifted for final previews. Here's mine (Spanish) along with 4 direct-feed 1080p60 gameplay clips:

https://www.gamereactor.es/avances/390803/12+cosas+que+(quiza)+no+sabias+de+Mario+Kart+8+Deluxe/

Game looks beautiful and smooth. A few things I noticed were the new pink drifting boost (if you hold after blue and red), the new 200cc Time Attack mode or the faster loading times (took 9 secs instead of 13 to load Egg Cup). And new battle modes are neat. Will share more when it's up, but ask if in doubt :)

Edit:

For those wondering about the pink boost, it can be seen here for instance, sec 48:

https://www.gamereactor.es/grtv/?id=309793

(It's the second clip on the article, the one on plants vs spies)

_2058943b.png

Edit 2:

Grabbed two full rounds of Shine Thief battle mode in 1080p60:

https://www.gamereactor.es/noticias...+Sol+la+mejor+novedad+de+Mario+Kart+8+Deluxe/

Tbh this feels like GCN days once again. Even if I love the Piranha cops one, this is by far my favourite, and the moment when you hit the opponent but still have to pick the Shine from the track is just too exciting :D

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh my, does look like an embargo lifted. I'll update this post with a few vids and sites:

Preview with foreign speaker, but lots of clips of various stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ-4m3f9mxM
Shows both docked and screen footage, as well as various things on the menu and then a few races: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Np1vPe2do&t=30s
Shows the new battle mode with Squid characters in a Splatoon arena, then other arenas (all of the footage is Battle Mode): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDMVo_69dtc

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Game looks amazing - this could end up being my most played MK ever :eek:

Skronk

Banned
Has anyone got a breakdown of what is actually new in this version?

I'm on the fence about buying it because I kind of got my fill of the Wii U version.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Why does Link's cap still look blocky? There's zero reason that should be the case with hardware of this level.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So, just to be 100% clear, Battle Mode can be played Free-for-all and you're not forced into teams like you were in the Wii version? Because that is my only fear right now.

KingBroly

Banned
How are the load times?

Part of me thinks the reason why the original only had 1 item at a time was because of the system's RAM limitations. So it's nice that they're giving 2 items a shot again.

And Battle Mode. Just get out of my way. I still wish Block Fort was back

Neptonic

I don't see a difference from the Wii U version. Was it not 60fps?
It's going from 720p60 to 1080p60.
I believe 2 player split screen is 60 as well, which is an upgrade from the Wii U.

So, just to be 100% clear, Battle Mode can be played Free-for-all and you're not forced into teams like you were in the Wii version? Because that is my only fear right now.
7 and 8 had FFA and Teams if I remember right, so this one should be the same as those 2 games.

Irminsul

I don't see a difference from the Wii U version. Was it not 60fps?
It was 59fps ;) I.e., there was a doubled frame each 62(?) frames or so due to AI updates and stuff. Was a bit distracting once you noticed it. Thankfully, that's not the case anymore. Also, it's now 1080p instead of 720p.

J@hranimo

Banned
Not interested in getting this Day 1 but I'm still interested in all the coverage and changes :)

Also for the sake of battle mode being good I also hope for online the modes are for FFA instead of teams by default.

CaVaYeRo

For those wondering about the pink boost, it can be seen here for instance, sec 48:

https://www.gamereactor.es/grtv/?id=309793

(It's the second clip on the article, the one on plants vs spies)

In terms of graphics and performance, yeah this is 1080p60 instead (and not 720p60-59 :p) and as said load times are indeed shorter - I measured Egg Cup loading on both.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Has anyone got a breakdown of what is actually new in this version?

I'm on the fence about buying it because I kind of got my fill of the Wii U version.

So firstly it obviously looks nicer, runs nicer, is 1080p as opposed to 720p, has all the DLC from the WiiU game included, etc. Also all courses, characters, etc., are unlocked from the beginning now.

New Characters:
-Inkling Boy (Splatoon)
-Inkling Girl (Splatoon)
-King Boo
-Dry Bones
-Bowser Jr.
-Gold Mario

You now can carry two items rather than just one, there's also some new items though I don't think all of them have been named/revealed. I know Boo and the Feather are in the game, and I recall there was new items you could see in a Japanese presentation for the game.

There is new Battle Modes, these are the new modes:
-Renegade Roundup: You try to capture and put members from one team into jail, other team must free their members and stay uncaught before time runs out.
-Balloon Battle: Balloon-Popping survival and point earning mode.
-Bob-omb Blast: Bomb-omb battle madness.
-Coin Runners: Collect the most coins to win.
-Shine Thief: Try to collect and be the one holding the Shine when the timer on it hits zero.

There are also a number of new Battle Mode stages in the game for the new battle modes, these are the Battle Mode stages known right now (though I think this new info dump included more? Not certain).

New Battle Courses:
-Urchin Underpass
-Battle Stadium

Returning Battle Courses:
-GCN Luigi's Mansion
-SNES Battle Course 1

EDIT:
Doesn't look like it, but the new maps do look pretty cool, at least in thumbnail form.

aEfDVDn.jpg

---

(again, we're not sure if there's these only 8 or more, but these are what's 100% confirmed right now).

There's three new vehicles, two of which are Splatoon-themed.

There's a new "Smart Steering" mode for novice's, it has a few drawbacks but is made to be more accessible by newcomers.

New Amiibo costumes for the Mii.

200cc race class and now fully implemented with the game's modes (IE trial and such)

You can now break while drifting.

8-player local multiplayer, and 12-player online multiplayer.

Palette swaps for Yoshi and Shy Guy for those who bought both DLC packs on Wii U.

---

That's all that I know of.

KingBroly

Banned
200cc isn't new. It was free DLC in the last MK8 update on Wii U

I barely touched it.

Also, I don't think this version has Stamps cuz that was a Miiverse thing.

Synless

It's going from 720p60 to 1080p60.
I believe 2 player split screen is 60 as well, which is an upgrade from the Wii U.

7 and 8 had FFA and Teams if I remember right, so this one should be the same as those 2 games.
Wii U was 2 player at 60 fps as well.

deleted

Finally! :p

I have a very urging question that burns me down, because I somewhat already know the answer...

Is there a balloon battle stock option with 3/5 balloons? Can we disable the CPU drivers in battle mode?
And how do the battle stages feel? Anything as good/well designed as Block Fort?

Recall

The Wii U version was incredible and a game I played a lot of. Those who get their first taste of Mario Kart 8 via the Switch are genuinely in for a treat.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This game is so good. I feel like a sucker for not only rebuying it on Switch but also being excited to do so, but the game is fantastic in nearly every possible way.

So firstly it obviously looks nicer, runs nicer, is 1080p as opposed to 720p, has all the DLC from the WiiU game included, etc. Also all courses, characters, etc., are unlocked from the beginning now.

New Characters:
-Inkling Boy (Splatoon)
-Inkling Girl (Splatoon)
-King Boo
-Dry Bones
-Bowser Jr.
-Gold Mario

There is new Battle Modes, these are the new modes:
-Renegade Roundup: You try to capture and put members from one team into jail, other team must free their members and stay uncaught before time runs out.
-Balloon Battle: Balloon-Popping survival and point earning mode.
-Bob-omb Blast: Bomb-omb battle madness.
-Coin Runners: Collect the most coins to win.
-Shine Thief: Try to collect and be the one holding the Shine when the timer on it hits zero.

These are the Battle Mode stages known right now, though I think this new info dump included more? Not certain.

New Courses:
-Urchin Underpass
-Battle Stadium

Returning Courses:
-GCN Luigi’s Mansion
-SNES Battle Course 1

There's three new vehicles, two of which are Splatoon-themed.

There's a new "Smart Steering" mode for novice's, it has a few drawbacks but is made to be more accessible by newcomers.

New Amiibo costumes for the Mii.

200cc race class and now fully implemented with the game's modes (IE trial and such)

You can now break while drifting.

8-player local multiplayer, and 12-player online multiplayer.

Palette swaps for Yoshi and Shy Guy for those who bought both DLC packs on Wii U.

---

That's all that I know of.

The game is also now fully portable. When you compare this to MK8 I think it still looks appealing. If you compare it MK7 it's one of the biggest jumps you'll ever see for a sequel.

Top Bottom