• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mario Tennis screenshots & artworks !

amrum

New Mario Tennis screenshots & artworks from the Leipzig games convention, the game is for the first time playable there :)

More Pictures on page 2 !

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

mariotennis_art-03.jpg

mariotennis_art-04.jpg

mariotennis_art-06.jpg

mariotennis_art-07.jpg

Thanks http://www.puissance-nintendo.com/

Memles

Wow...worst picture setup EVER.

The pictures themselves...I want to see more regular tennis, stat, but it looks like a Shine mode is present, and the Crazy DKC creatures are really quite cool...seems like some crazy multiplayer opportunities. As long as it include straight tennis, I'm there.

I don't know how that's possible, but those screenshots are bad; it's like watching a pan-n-scan version of a 2.35:1 movie on TV.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Pretty solid graphics. I also really like the look of the jungle stage.

Of course, all they really have to do is make it Mario Tennis 64 2 and I'd buy it. Good god, I loved that game.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Looks good. Hope there are enough courts.

It'd be nice for a normal court too, but I don't much mind if there isn't one, already been at least one great tennis sim this gen.

Of course, all they really have to do is make it Mario Tennis 64 2 and I'd buy it. Good god, I loved that game.

Sorry, they're not.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Mama Smurf said:
Sorry, they're not.
Well, I have heard that they're adding some non-tennis elements (like Mario Golf GC) and that that's actually the reason for the game's delays, but as long as the basic gameplay is preserved, I'll be happy.

ge-man

Randam_Hajile said:
The screenshots are just very "in your face". Game looks pretty though...

They look like zoomed-in replays. Obviously these screens to show off the graphics, there's no way the game actually has a camera like that.

Mama Smurf

human5892 said:
Well, I have heard that they're adding some non-tennis elements (like Mario Golf GC) and that that's actually the reason for the game's delays, but as long as the basic gameplay is preserved, I'll be happy.

They're not just adding stuff. They were indeed making Mario Tennis 64 2, then decided they didn't want to do that, so started over completely. I guess they kept character models and stuff, but apart from that, it's a completely different game to what they were making.

No one really knows what the balance is going to be between tennis sim and party game though. Hopefully we'll get some impressions soon, now that it's playable.

Speevy

Banned
16.jpg

Where is Mario hitting the tennis ball in this shot? And do those gator bad guys from DKC play a part in gameplay?

Mama Smurf

I think he's missed.

They get in the way and snap at your heels. That's what it look like anyway, who knows. They'll play a part, that's for sure.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
there's a wall back there though, perhaps there's a tennis/raquetball mode.

Speevy

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
They get in the way and snap at your heels. That's what it look like anyway, who knows. They'll play a part, that's for sure.

Oh, I know that. I meant the big ones that stand up. Spectators?

Mama Smurf

Oh, those guys. Well if it's like real tennis, they're probably just line judges. Maybe they animate and shout when it's out.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
This games needs a "Around the Table" game mode. Like the group ping-pong game, where you hit the ball, drop the paddle and run to the other side. Just to mix things, have the characters cut in line and pink elephant.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I absolutely love the original, but this one is failing to excite me. I loved playing real tennis. I don't want anything to simulation-y or arcade-y and Mario Tennis 64 did that for me. I don't see much of that here, only completely crazy scenarios involving power-ups and gators.

Shiggy

According to the US press server the game will come out in 2005, but maybe they will release it this year, when Geist and Star Fox delay.

Memles

Dan said:
I absolutely love the original, but this one is failing to excite me. I loved playing real tennis. I don't want anything to simulation-y or arcade-y and Mario Tennis 64 did that for me. I don't see much of that here, only completely crazy scenarios involving power-ups and gators.

One of those screenshots shows normal Tennis (Mind you, on a crazy court).

I'm just looking for one shot of normal tennis; it's all I ask for. I'll love the game either way, but I don't want it to fall too far into Party Game.

MG:TT didn't go too far for me, and still had some normal courses to go with its great Mushroom/Bowser themed ones. I hope that the same goes for Mario Tennis.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I looks like, in this stage, you knock the Clap-traps off of the net onto the othe side court, they then latch onto the othe character to slow them down.

Alcibiades

wow, if this makes it out before Christmas, it would definitely give the GCN lineup a shot in the arm for the younger market (who only really have the one-player Paper Mario game)...

Nintendo needs a vibrant, colorful multiplayer game to help it during the cheerful Christmas season, as Metroid Prime is a little dark, and one-player games don't usually have the word-of-mouth potential that multiplayer games do...

NWO

Shiggy said:
According to the US press server the game will come out in 2005, but maybe they will release it this year, when Geist and Star Fox delay.

That's what I've been thinking since they delayed Star Fox.

Shove Mario Tennis (which is done) and Mario Party 6 this year in the US and you'll have:

Paper Mario 2
Pikmin 2
Metroid Prime 2
BK
Mario Party 6
Mario Tennis
Donkey Konga

which is a decent lineup....

Alcibiades

I doubt Mario Party 6 is going to be 2004 for US, as they are already pushing Donkey Konga as their "accessory" game, any more and it might get a little complicated and confusing, better to wait until the Bongos have settled in (after the platforming Donkey Kong title in early '05) before introducing some new add-on.

In Japan, Donkey Konga is old news, so it's a good time to usher out this "new gameplay" style Mario Party 6...

Besides, Mario Tennis + Mario Party 6 (which are probably similar in aethestics and target audience) would probably just eat into each others sales...

Microsoft and Sony have a strong 1st quarter lineup (Unreal 2, Jade Empire, Doom 3, God of War, Killzone, etc...), so it's pretty important for Nintendo to have something to counter this (other than RE4, which is more adult-market), which is what I think is up with these delays...

this game looks nice!! when i get a Gamecube i willhave to get this and Mario Golf just to support Camelot. Whatever happened to the Gamecube verison of Golden Sun?

Top Bottom