• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mega Man concept art accidentally inserted into MMLC2's gallery

Looks dope, but are we sure this was made by Yuji Ishihara, or is this an educated guess? I recall Sakurai saying that the Smash 4 design was an amalgamation of different Mega Man designs, and it was one they made rather than received from Capcom. I might be misremembering, but I also thought he said that the padding and flourishes on his torso were inspired by the Hitoshi Ariga manga. Since this implementation is identical to the Smash one, then this design definitely was made after Smash Bros 4.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Looks dope, but are we sure this was made by Yuji Ishihara, or is this an educated guess? I recall Sakurai saying that the Smash 4 design was an amalgamation of different Mega Man designs, and it was one they made rather than received from Capcom. I might be misremembering, but I also thought he said that the padding and flourishes on his torso were inspired by the Hitoshi Ariga manga. Since this implementation is identical to the Smash one, then this design definitely was made after Smash Bros 4.

Educated guess I think. But Google him. His stuff looks very similar, especially in the eyes and face.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's Capcom. It's accidental. When was the last time they surprised the fans in a good way?

I'm still burned from every MMBN game after 3.

I mean... literally last year? With the RE7 trailer? And then the game ended up being great, on top of that surprise.

Or the fact that MvCI exists at all? That was another good surprise. Yes, people have some issues with it but it's a new MvC game and we didn't think we were getting one at all.

I can't believe Capcom's been doing screwups so much that they've finally failed upwards with a hype announcement that we'll throw all our money for

yurinka

Looks great. I'd call the Shantae team (Wayforward + Inti Creates) to make a Mega Man reboot with similar visuals.

Battle Network series had amazing designs, especially for the enemies.

He lives...

possibly...

^ I really want a Battle Network HD release with updated sprites for the Switch. That would be the ultimate gift from Capcom...or Pheonix Wright HD ttilogy...whew lawd.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I mean whatever it is, I really do like the design of it.

SoulUnison

Banned
Classic Mega Man with Battle Network design inspiration?

I want to get my hopes up, but Capcom will come to my house and kick me in the dick.

Educated guess I think. But Google him. His stuff looks very similar, especially in the eyes and face.
I'm very familiar with his work, and you're right, could very well be his. I was just trying to discern if the MMLC2 explicitly credited the guy or not. Mega Man has had a few art directors and designers over the years, all of which can adhere to a certain house style for the franchise. Hideki Ishikawa and Ryuji Higurashi could have been likely possibilities too, though the former is no longer under employment at Capcom. The latter worked on Battle Network, Star Force, the Original Series and Smash Bros 4, so he was a likely option too aside from Yuji Ishihara.

Capcom must have hundreds of unused designs from the Battle Network series, is probably just that but is a little odd that a design from the BN series end up in a collection of the classic series, the developer should not have access to that kind of assets.

Time will tell, is odd for sure.

Dremorak

Banned
pleasebenewbattlenetworkpleasebenewbattlenetworkpleasebenewbattlenetworkpleasebenewbattlenetworkpleasebenewbattlenetworkpleasebenewbattlenetwork

Shifty

Something about it reminds me of Beck from MN9.

Could you imagine if Capcom brought Mega Man back after so long by ripping off the rip-off.

Capcom must have hundreds of unused designs from the Battle Network series, is probably just that but is a little odd that a design from the BN series end up in a collection of the classic series, the developer should not have access to that kind of assets.

Time will tell, is odd for sure.
Despite the artstyle there is no way that design is from a BN game. It looks way too classic Megaman, and it looks much too recent. It's at least post Smash 4.

Sesha

It's Capcom. It's accidental. When was the last time they surprised the fans in a good way?

I'm still burned from every MMBN game after 3.

MH: World? New MvC? UMvC3 on PS4/X1/PC? RE7? RE2 Remake? Dragon's Dogma on PC, and now PS4/X1? Heck, even the NES remaster collections. They surprise fans in a good way all the time. It's the execution they often times struggle with.

Piccoro

They're gonna patch this out, aren't they?

I'm buying the game later tonight. Hopefully that art will still be there when I play it. :p

As a huge Battle Network/Megaman 8 fan, I REALLY dig this art style. I hope this truly is a new project, but as others have said Capcom has let me down too many times and I have no hope

I have to say the "Capcpom gonna Capcpom" posts add literally nothing to any thread. Neither does this one complaining about them, to be fair.

MAtgS

Something about it reminds me of Beck from MN9.

Could you imagine if Capcom brought Mega Man back after so long by ripping off the rip-off.
The idea of physical changes to Mega Man's appearance when using weapons has been around since the development of the first game. They never used it before because of hardware limitations, settling on palette swaps instead. MN9 was taking advantage of more powerful hardware to realize an unused concept.

Seyfert

Hope this one is from actual currently development project. It looks cool enough to me. and the art in digital format make me believe this is the real deal.

and hope it didn't turnout to be some mobile game.

The idea of physical changes to Mega Man's appearance when using weapons has been around since the development of the first game. They never used it before because of hardware limitations, settling on palette swaps instead. MN9 was taking advantage of more powerful hardware to realize an unused concept.

That's right. If I recall, the idea was for Mega to swap helmets like a tokusatsu superhero. That's why the first Robot Master designed, Elec Man, looks straight out of Kamen Rider and those types of shows..

I could dig a game with this aesthetic to it. However I will actually wait for such a game to be announced before getting any hopes up.

DNAbro

I don't know why it would be an accident. If I wasn't cynical I would say it's teasing for something new.

Also bring back Battle Network please.

wwm0nkey

I don't know why it would be an accident. If I wasn't cynical I would say it's teasing for something new.

Also bring back Battle Network please.

Battle Network Collection will hopefully be next, but it will probably be X before that and then maybe a Legends Trilogy (Tronn, not MML3) collection before Battle Network and Zero

Shifty

Battle network had appearance changes.

That, and I'm more commenting on the visual resemblance of the design (colour scheme, protruding visor, chunky-ass primary hand weapon thing) than the idea of Capcom copying an appearance change mechanic.

wwm0nkey

They announced they were making a new Mega Man mobile game a while back.

I am willing to bet that is for the new show coming out.

New Show = mobile game to get new fans
Classic/New Mega Man game = something for people who grew up with MM

Top Bottom