• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mega Man concept art accidentally inserted into MMLC2's gallery

DGwHe94VoAEvY9W.jpg:large

DGsFl7VU0AAJr2i.jpg:large

Source for both: Protodude from Rockman's Corner on twitter.

Get hyped? Here's hoping that it's not from a cancelled project. Back last year, Capcom asked Japanese fans what new Mega Man game they wanted in a survey included with the original MMLC.

Some extra info from Mellahan:
Before this blows up, a little background:

That artwork appears in Mega Man 8's Museum in Legacy Collection 2. However, it's NOT from Mega Man 8. At all. The art is too new and it was drawn by Yuji Ishihara, character designer on MMBN, MML and MMSF. In addition to the comments mentioned in the OP, this is a digital piece whereas MM8's concept art is all pencil and ink. It's indeed new.

The theory is, whoever put together the museum saw this - the giant hand - mistakenly believed it was Duo, and put it into MM8's museum. Fans believe this comes from an unrelated project currently in production.

ionitron

Had a lengthy discussion about this with my boy. I'm hyped, I really hope it means something, and I do love the concept art. It's like when kirby copies an ability and gets a hat.

But....
I won't get my hopes up either ;(

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.

That artwork appears in Mega Man 8's Museum in Legacy Collection 2. However, it's NOT from Mega Man 8. At all. The art is too new and it was drawn by Yuji Ishihara, character designer on MMBN, MML and MMSF. In addition to the comments mentioned in the OP, this is a digital piece whereas MM8's concept art is all pencil and ink. It's indeed new.

The theory is, whoever put together the museum saw this - the giant hand - mistakenly believed it was Duo, and put it into MM8's museum. Fans believe this comes from an unrelated project currently in production.

Usually when companies do this they're teasing a new game which makes sense considering they just released all the classic series games on modern platforms. On the other hand it's Capcom and they probably put this here by accident.

That artwork appears in Mega Man 8's Museum in Legacy Collection 2. However, it's NOT from Mega Man 8. At all. The art is too new and it was drawn by Yuji Ishihara, character designer on MMBN, MML and MMSF.

Thanks for the information, mind if I add it into the OP?

Zurick

Banned
Normally, I'd be all like

"Accidental... riiiiight"

but given this track record as of late I'll bite.

Eylos

Banned
I want to get hyped, but its Capcom, so i will wait, so i dont get disapointed

Megaman Battle Network Changes the appearance

falzer.png

But the design of the art is closer to the original Megaman than the Battle Network.

Welfare

New Style Mega Man please Capcom.

Now my hopes have risen for a new Mega Man that isn't 8 bit. Oh how crushed I'll be when nothing comes of this.

A new Battle Network would also be fine. I loved those.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.

falzer.png

But the design is closer to the original, the "ear" from BN is the evidence

It's close because it's done by the MMBN artist. The other theory going around, if this is indeed from an unannounced game, Mega Man himself will take on the appearance of Robot Masters this time around because Capcom ran out of colors.

ZeoVGM

Banned
New Style Mega Man please Capcom.

Now my hopes have risen for a new Mega Man that isn't 8 bit. Oh how crushed I'll be when nothing comes of this.

My grand hope is for two separate games: Mega Man 11, the "true" follow-up to Mega Man 8 with beautiful sprites, and Mega Man X9, done in 16-bit SNES-style graphics.

TreIII

I mean...it is Rockman's 30th anniversary this year. After completely blowing off his 25th anniversary, and building up so much disdain in the meanwhile, you'd think all that time would've been used to make sure that Capcom had a new game ready to go along with that milestone. Such a thing would showcase that between a new release for all platforms, X & Zero's appearances in MvC:I and a brand new cartoon debuting on Cartoon Network (with an additional mobile game), that Capcom was serious about showing that, yes, Mega Man is back, and in a big way!!!

...but then we remind ourselves. This is Capcom we're talking about here.

Eylos

Banned
It's close because it's done by the MMBN artist. The other theory going around, if this is indeed from an unannounced game, Mega Man himself will take on the appearance of Robot Masters this time around because Capcom ran out of colors.
I mean closer to the original Megaman not BN (Will fix my post), the hands etc

Neiteio

This is amazing if true. It's like Capcom tries to be incompetent.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Why are people saying it was accidental? Could have been intentional.

It seems a little clumsy to be a genuine teaser; if it was calculated, you'd imagine they'd tie the image to an unlock or some other more conspicuous condition than unceremoniously dumping it in a gallery.

Welfare

My grand hope is for two separate games: Mega Man 11, the "true" follow-up to Mega Man 8 with beautiful sprites, and Mega Man X9, done in 16-bit SNES-style graphics.
I was expecting X9 back when they announced MM10. Do 10, 16 bit X9, HD Sprite MM11, then an X10 in an HD X8 style with 3D models on a 2D plane.

But noooo Capcom doesn't like money and would rather cancel every new project.

Brakke

Banned
CAPCPOM strikes again.

Definitely has that Battle Network feel. Before the doppelgänger transformations, he had a set of more simple transformations like so:

38-image358.png

Sandfox

I really hope this ends up being something, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I love Ishihara's art though so it's cool to get this at least.

Sciz

The page as a whole screams "reference sheet for swappable bits of a 3D model". Along with all the other quirks, there's no way it has anything to do with MM8.

With the cartoon coming up soon, I'm not entirely surprised that they actually could have a game in production, but I'm shocked that this doesn't look anything like a cartoon tie-in and is instead a fairly conservative Classic refresh.

TreIII

The page as a whole screams "reference sheet for swappable bits of a 3D model". Along with all the other quirks, there's no way it has anything to do with MM8.

With the cartoon coming up soon, I'm not entirely surprised that they actually could have a game in production, but I'm shocked that this doesn't look anything like a cartoon tie-in and is instead a fairly conservative Classic refresh.

If (keyword...) they were smart about it, it would make a lot of sense. The new cartoon was slated to have a mobile game attached to it, so if the idea was to have something for kids and a general demographic to play after getting hooked on the toon, they'd be covered. That would just leave the traditional console space to be covered with a more fitting traditional effort. Capcom wouldn't be putting all their eggs in one basket, and it would be win-win, in theory.

Opa-Pa

Not getting my hopes up because this is Capcom and at best this would be concept art for the mobile game they have in development, but... Damn, that looks nice. I wouldn't mind that look for a classic MM comeback at all.

Mediking

falzer.png

But the design of the art is closer to the original Megaman than the Battle Network.

These designs look amazing!!!

The Incapcompetence surrounding this release... if this really is from a new game and production and it's revealed to the world through leaking their own shit, it would be fucking amazing. And exactly what they deserve after what they did to this franchise.

Top Bottom