• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MGS4 EDGE details

AmMortal

Banned
Nothing story related!

I cut out the potential Spoilers and already known information, which is surpisingly a lot lol.

A 'virtual range' will be included from the main menu. Here you can test the huge amount of weapons in MGS4 as well as the various advanced CQC techniques in the game.

The game will feature various details to play around with such as highly detailed and fashionable consumer gadgets. PsP (?) sunny does...

MGS4 has been 4 years in development.

There will be one hell of a big bang of a final to the game. Not a whimper. This will blow you away.

Snake is a slave to injections that keep him alive.

The sneaking play of the originals with it's air ducts and cameras has now become a fast pace living battlefield of traps and innovations.

The control system is 'revised and improved'

The Gekkou (the mechs with organic legs that make mooing sounds) will work in packs to hunt you down. They can sense past your optic camo if they think something is amiss.

Snake will have two new energy bars that makes Snakes advanced age impossible to ignore:

Stress: This rises in response to fight conditions. This can work with him, giving him hightened senses such as accuracy and sustained damage being halved. But if in this condition for too long, snake will crash causing him to become exposed to his illness. a drag on a cig will help him calm down however.

Psyche: This affects your general state of mind in the field.The balancing of these two bars will affect your progress.

You can use a camera to sneak away from your mission objectives and record incidents happening on the battlefield in secret. Some can be 'unpredictable and dangerous' There is something special about the camera this time around but EDGE were not allowed to say what.

There is a "surprising degree of explorative freedom" in the game. You can choose to engage in battles if you wish, or just ignore them. Friends and enemies can be gain this way if you do choose to help one side out.

Productions values transcend modern video games: A Hollywood grade surround sound and moving track score by Harry Gregson Williams. Electrifying cut scenes and a sense of closure "more suited to Return of the King than Halo 3".

There is so much tucked away in the game that some things won't be discovered until months or even years after your first play.

Kojima says: As for future MGS I would love to produce rather than direct. But as far as Snake is concerned, this is it. It's over".

hmm. the bold part is hella awesome.

AmMortal

Banned
I can totally see it coming, IF I need to bare knockle MMA fight a Grandma for this game I WILL

54.gif

StuBurns

Banned
I could not be more psyched about this game, it's killing me that so many people have played it and it still feels like it's years away.

I want a demo, anything to keep me going.

DSN2K

quality of the game was never in question, Kojima got the series back on track with 3 and this will be the icing on the cake as they say.

There is so much tucked away in the game that some things won't be discovered until months or even years after your first play.

Just started my 1st dog tag run for MGS2 and I don't doubt that one bit.
When Gurlukovich mentions that all Metal Gear technology is based on original russian tech I was caught off guard. I thought they just threw that stuff into MGS3.

Yoboman

stuburns said:
I could not be more psyched about this game, it's killing me that so many people have played it and it still feels like it's years away.

I want a demo, anything to keep me going.
No you don't. You want it to be all new and fresh when you buy it

Yoboman

DSN2K said:
quality of the game was never in question, Kojima got the series back on track with 3 and this will be the icing on the cake as they say.
It never went off the track

StuBurns

Banned
Yoboman said:
No you don't. You want it to be all new and fresh when you buy it
I've seen the E4All demo, I know what happens in that part of the game, if I had the demo I know I could stay away from any future spoilers, but without it I'm so gagging for this game I'll read every article I can find.

AmMortal

Banned
i'm so pathetic, i had a dream about me playing this game yesterday.

MGS4 totally blows my mind already, i think I will die,when I finally get to play this game.

Johnas

Awesome details, thanks for posting.

Game of the Forever.

This is especially nice.

Doc Evils

Johnas said:
Awesome details, thanks for posting.

Game of the Forever.

This is especially nice.

Shall we start guessing the score edge will give it? I'm guessing maybe an 8.:lol

SolidSnakex said:
While he's not a space marine, Ed is bald.

TheJollyCorner said:
CAREFUL: SPOILER ALERT:

Old Snake is wearing a wig.

My mind = BLOWN!

so everyone is actually bald? MEGATON!

Mamesj

Banned
Kojima says: As for future MGS I would love to produce rather than direct. But as far as Snake is concerned, this is it. It's over".

Snake? C'mon, stop playing around. Snake?! SNAAAAAAAAAAA

Yoboman

stuburns said:
I've seen the E4All demo, I know what happens in that part of the game, if I had the demo I know I could stay away from any future spoilers, but without it I'm so gagging for this game I'll read every article I can find.
You'll overplay the demo and the gameplay won't seem as invigorating and impressive to you when you get your hands on it. It's like N'Gai Croal said, "with a game like Metal Gear it's a known quantity, I know Kojima makes great games. So for me it's kind of like, would I really want to be teased by Metal Gear? I'd rather bring it home and make sweet love to it all day long."

evil ways

U K Narayan said:
Hmm. Yes. Bold. Delicious.

PS3 pack, already. Please.

Speaking of which, anybody know when they will start taking pre-orders on the mgs4 ps3 pack? and how limited in numbers will it be in the US?

I have a friend who's shitting bricks waiting for some info cause the local gamestop guy told him little to nothing except that it will be nearly impossible to find, which I really doubt.

Johnas

Doc Evils said:
Shall we start guessing the score edge will give it? I'm guessing maybe an 8.:lol

Probably a 9, depending on who reviews. If it's this same person, maybe possibly a 10.

I'm usually fairly interested in review scores, but they really are irrelevant for MGS4. I know this game will be pure awesome.

Wollan

Productions values transcend modern video games: A Hollywood grade surround sound and moving track score by Harry Gregson Williams. Electrifying cut scenes and a sense of closure "more suited to Return of the King than Halo 3".

[jizz] *drowns in semen* [/jizz]

StuBurns

Banned
Yoboman said:
You'll overplay the demo and the gameplay won't seem as invigorating and impressive to you when you get your hands on it. It's like N'Gai Croal said, "with a game like Metal Gear it's a known quantity, I know Kojima makes great games. So for me it's kind of like, would I really want to be teased by Metal Gear? I'd rather bring it home and make sweet love to it all day long."

Well I played the MGS2 demo, probably over 50 times before MGS2 hit, and it's still my favorite game.

As for N'Gai, he's a cool guy, and I do agree with him, but maybe he has a stronger will to avoid it. At the moment I'm so desperate for MGS4 info that if I could read the whole plot, line for line, I would, even though it would spoil the whole thing for me. A demo would stop all that.

Mamesj said:
Snake? C'mon, stop playing around. Snake?! SNAAAAAAAAAAA
As long as Kojima is directing I don't care. About time Raiden gets his starring role (if he doesn't die).

Still I believe we will be playing as Naked Snake for at least one more title.

I wouldn't mind the series starting fresh with a set of new characters. New gameplay style too. The envrionments would be similiar to the Splinter Cell games, as sneaking your way through cities. Would be cool in MGS5 to sneak your way through beautifully rendered Central Park at night.

Top Bottom