• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mirror's Edge Screens and animated trailer

Captain N

Gamestop has this game listed for this Holiday. Did EA ever say or suggest it would be out this year? That would be awesome!

dark10x said:
Assassin's Creed? I don't think any comparisons to AC are warranted, to be honest. This isn't a free roaming game.
I can see some Assassin's Creed fear in terms of the controls. In AC your character would do all sorts of impressive parkour feats but so much of that was automated -- done while you were basically just holding the stick in a direction -- that you rarely felt responsible for these actions.

I mean, the character would go where you wanted, but while your character looked badass, you didn't really feel like it was due to your skill as a gamer. That's unlike Crackdown, for example, where you can land pinpoint jumps from hundreds of feet, but only if you knew what you were doing and had the controls mastered, which made the rooftop antics of Crackdown so much more rewarding than AC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fallout-NL said:
Looks beautiful.

And is this confirmed to not be free roaming dark10x?
Yes. The interview posted on GTrailers clearly makes a point of mentioning it.

Llyranor said:
IIRC, Rhianna Pratchett is doing the story for this. She also did HS and Overlord.
Yes, there was an interview recently on Den of Geek. She said she's working on Overlord's expasnion, DICE, Dungeon Hero and the new Prince of Persia amongst others.

Still so hyped for this game, although the trailer totally did look like an e-surance commercial :lol.

Screens are beautiful, I'm in love with the art, etc.

So, so prettyyy; DICE is doing some good work this generation, hopefully there won't be some EA scheme to make you pay for better shoes or something though:lol .

antiloop

It's cool.

But why does she have to be so ugly in 99% of the pics? They need to do something about that for us shallow people.

GQman2121

Banned
Captain N said:
Gamestop has this game listed for this Holiday. Did EA ever say or suggest it would be out this year? That would be awesome!

They're handing out those yellow shoulder bags that she's wearing in one of the shots if you pre-order there. I doubt they have them in-stock yet, but that's what they're promoting in their emails.

luffeN

oh man oh man, who would have thought!

I dont know if I can say that.. but mirror's edge wasnt supposed to be shown in the ea office till like in some weeks.. it seemed that there was a press meeting today for spanish magazines. they were shown, if I'm correct, fifa 09 and mirror's edge. after work finished I went to the chillout room and what happened? an open door to a meeting room with one lonely guy playing mirror's edge. I was so stunned that I just stood at the entrance and watched him play. I don't know why but I suddenly said "excuse me", twice, because I wanted to ask if I can sit and watch... big mistake.. he saw me, asked shockingly who I was and came closer till, after a little talk about the game, closed the door.. seemed he was the pr guy either for spain or dice, I don't know. game looks gorgeous, runs very fluid, mostly blue areas (so white walls, like the ones we know from screenshots, but signed blue.. if you know what I mean..) in the level he played. everything is under secrecy etc. and levels not finished and so on. I think it was a helicopter chase, but I'm not sure. animations were beautiful like from the trailers seen so far. this will be a huge game

Somnia

banKai said:

I dont know if I can say that.. but mirror's edge wasnt supposed to be shown in the ea office till like in some weeks.. it seemed that there was a press meeting today for spanish magazines. they were shown, if I'm correct, fifa 09 and mirror's edge. after work finished I went to the chillout room and what happened? an open door to a meeting room with one lonely guy playing mirror's edge. I was so stunned that I just stood at the entrance and watched him play. I don't know why but I suddenly said "excuse me", twice, because I wanted to ask if I can sit and watch... big mistake.. he saw me, asked shockingly who I was and came closer till, after a little talk about the game, closed the door.. seemed he was the pr guy either for spain or dice, I don't know. game looks gorgeous, runs very fluid, mostly blue areas (so white walls, like the ones we know from screenshots, but signed blue.. if you know what I mean..) in the level he played. everything is under secrecy etc. and levels not finished and so on. I think it was a helicopter chase, but I'm not sure. animations were beautiful like from the trailers seen so far. this will be a huge game

Oh god...now I'm even more hyped...thanks man :lol :lol :lol

banKai said:

I wish you could see how I've visualized this in my head. Dude's screen is like a window to another world.

luffeN

BenjaminBirdie said:
I wish you could see how I've visualized this in my head. Dude's screen is like a window to another world.

I wish I could be more precise and draw you the level.. but I'm scared :D

banKai said:
I wish I could be more precise and draw you the level.. but I'm scared :D

That's okay. I imagine just watching this game played would be a pretty transfixing experience. The sound, the art design, the gameplay itself.

Pretty hypnotic, I bet.

luffeN

BenjaminBirdie said:
That's okay. I imagine just watching this game played would be a pretty transfixing experience. The sound, the art design, the gameplay itself.

Pretty hypnotic, I bet.

yeah. the guy playing it was really into it and completely forgot about his surroundings.. I had to shout to get his attention.. which was stupid on my side..

jrricky

Banned
just rewatched the old trailer and I am simply very very intrigued even though first person isnt my cup of tea. I make exceptions for unique First Person games like these, metroid prime and bioshock being the others.

banKai said:

I'm not exactly sure why but this increased my hype for the game tremendously.

KingJ2002

this game is one of my most anticipated...

i dont want to say "i told you so" but... i always said... since the beginning of this generation that EA will be in the forefront when it comes to bringing some of the best and innovative titles this generation... and so far... EA and Capcom have been leaders and i expect that this trend will continue.

Sciz

inthezone said:
Reminds me a lot of Half Life 2 for some reason, at least artistically.

I love it!
Mammothtank said:
Art reminds me of Half-Life 1 back when it first came out and was awesome...awesome!
Kydd BlaZe said:
I'm getting the exact same vibe.
Came in for the screenshots, stayed to say this. They could easily pull off a convincing HL3 fake with these assets. Looks lovely.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm thinking the game will probably take like 6 hours to complete, not 10.

It's the only thing that's making me think twice about buying it, but I'll probably buy it anyway:p

Ether_Snake said:
I'm thinking the game will probably take like 6 hours to complete, not 10.

It's the only thing that's making me think twice about buying it, but I'll probably buy it anyway:p

In all honesty I would buy this game just to show support for creative ideas like this.

Llyranor

I'm also pretty tempted to support the game just in terms of pure game design.

It just depends on how well-executed it'll all end up.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'll buy it because it looks great on my TV and I like games that go in new directions artistically and technically. I remember when I was playing RE4 I'd kill all the enemies, then walk all around the environment observing everything and thinking about how made the game: "Oh look at this, the lighting on the character is baked and changes color per-section". Etc.:)

Second said:
What I don't like about the game is that everything looks too clean. It's like a huge open laboratory. That's what I meant by sterile.

It looks technically good, but visually not very appealing. Too "empty" IMO.

I'm betting you're also the first guy in with "Looks too gritty" with every other game that gets shown?

I'm surprised we haven't seen a "Too dull and grey" yet.

Nocebo

This looks fucking hot. Is this a sequel to pac-land or something? Where's the torso? It might just be me but the screens in the OP make it seem like you're playing a giant head with arms and legs attached to it. :lol

Blu_LED said:
This games lead platform is obviously 360 right?

It isn't very obvious since it is for all platformers that can support it (360, PC, PS3), but it was first tossed around a PS3 game and the first trailer was from a Sony show.

Top Bottom