• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mirror's Edge Screens and animated trailer

acm2000

graphics look amazing, but the gameplay looked crap in the first video, this is definitely a game that needs a demo

"What I don't like about the game is that everything looks too clean. It's like a huge open laboratory. That's what I meant by sterile.

It looks technically good, but visually not very appealing. Too "empty" IMO."

Again, I'm pretty sure that's the idea.

Nolan.

Ventrue said:
Looks great, but the animated trailer had some cringe-worthy lines.

"...crime she did not commit."
"...you find out who you really are."

Aargh. Still really looking forward to it though.

My bet is a really good post op.

SamBishop

Banned
brain_stew said:
Whilst I'm sure the consoles will run the game just fine, there's no way they're getting anywhere close to that IQ. Not a single console game has anything like the IQ of those shots, so in terms of the console version they are indeed "bullshots" aka, PC screens.

I can see 60 FPS being a big help in this game so PC (plus 360 controller) for me.

Console versions weren't shooting for 60 frames last I was told. And yes, it looks that good. The advantage of painting the world in simple shades means detail can be afforded for the stuff you're going to see while playing. I'm not saying the game look identical, but those aren't bullshots.

Teknopathetic said:
Again, I'm pretty sure that's the idea.

Make this bold or something, it doesn't seem to be sticking. The game is supposed to look clinically clean; that's the look, and the game does explain it to an extent. Seriously, this game is fucking gorgeous.

AmMortal

Banned
Visit on-mirrors-edge.com

for regular Offcial information, also to win a free copy :D

Getting mine ( because me= mod )

Vorador

Banned
When the very very first screenshots from Mirror's Edge were released i though the game looked kinda meh.

How wrong i was :lol

And yeah, the lines from the trailer were really bad, it sound so generic, like something i heard a million times.

EdgeTurn

I'm amazed at the screens and am really excited about the gameplay, but I gotta say I'm slightly disappointed by the story implications in the trailer. I thought I'd read that the government in Mirror's Edge was wholly benign - their means of enforcing order were restrictive, but they really had the citizenry's best interests at heart. I was looking forward to a morally ambiguous story where the conflict revolved around two different but equally valid ideologies, and not evil intentions. But with lines like "something is changing" and "my sister was framed for a crime she didn't commit," I suddenly felt like I was watching a trailer for a standard sci-fi action film; I wanted Gattacca and it looks like I'm getting Ultraviolet (which is cool, just not what I was originally hoping for).

Still a day one purchase - and maybe the story will prove to be far more nuanced than the trailer lets on, or so well executed that I don't mind anyway.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I love the style of this game so much. I love how everything is bright and colourful yet not cartoony. It feels very refreshing in this day and age.

It looks fun too. Hopefully the final game is just as exhilarating to play.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Ramenman

I loooove what I see.

Now show me some gameplay !! And some Hands-on too.

SnakeXs said:
dowant62b0e.jpg

Awesome squirrel :lol

a.wd

AmMortal said:
Best voice acting I have seen since MGS.

This reminds me of Heavenly Sword...

That game deserves a part 2

No it doesn't, in fact the game that spawned the lines "fruity muck" and "Twing twang" really doesnt need any more. ever.

that being said, I really want this game....like really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really...

SamBishop said:
Console versions weren't shooting for 60 frames last I was told. And yes, it looks that good. The advantage of painting the world in simple shades means detail can be afforded for the stuff you're going to see while playing. I'm not saying the game look identical, but those aren't bullshots.

I know they're not shooting for 60, hence why I want to buy the PC version so I can benefit from better framerates. First person + running + precision platforming seems like a recipe where 60 fps will make a large difference. I fully believe the game will have the same lighting models and environments etc. on consoles but I'm talking purely IQ wise. No 360 or PS3 games has 16xAA and 16xAF like these shots, you need a nice beefy PC for that. So if these are being pwned as console shots then yes, they are indeed "bullshots" but all that is altered is likely altered is the IQ.

AmMortal

Banned
brain_stew said:
I know they're not shooting for 60, hence why I want to buy the PC version so I can benefit from better framerates. First person + running + precision platforming seems like a recipe where 60 fps will make a large difference. I fully believe the game will have the same lighting models and environments etc. on consoles but I'm talking purely IQ wise. No 360 or PS3 games has 16xAA and 16xAF like these shots, you need a nice beefy PC for that. So if these are being pwned as console shots then yes, they are indeed "bullshots" but all that is altered is likely altered is the IQ.

Okay, we get it PC are masters, Console suck ass.

I can't afford a good PC :(

Egg Shen

Looks pretty good, the new story trailer was an interesting change of pace from the usual CG stuff but yeah, have to agree that the dialogue was a little cliched. Definitely want to pick this up, though, I love the whole "clean police state" aesthetic that they'vee got going on.

Feep

Banned
The dialogue was cliched, but that is one FANTASTIC voice actress. And thank God. Voice acting is far more important than game studios give it credit for.

Sharp

Wow at those screens. Yeah, it's pretty obvious that the console versions aren't shooting for 60, 'cause even R&C4 can't touch those screens.

Ploid 3.0

What if the game is like the movie "Ong-bak" where the action and speed just keeps going? If so it would lend itself to multiple play throughs. I like a good roller coaster ride.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks absolutely insane. I do not wish to get overly hyped, however, as I've yet to play a single player DICE game that really clicked for me. They have made some awesome multiplayer games, but when it comes to crafting a single player experience, they haven't impressed (though they haven't exactly attempted it all that often either).

filopilo

Sharp said:
Wow at those screens. Yeah, it's pretty obvious that the console versions aren't shooting for 60, 'cause even R&C4 can't touch those screens.

the funny thing is that it should run very well,because you don't need any single dynamic light to make that visuals.Unlit material everywhere is really cheap.
Every thing is baked,but this time with good GI quality.

Feindflug

SamBishop said:
Console versions weren't shooting for 60 frames last I was told.

Well it's a game based on UE3 after all, AFAIK there's no UE3 game that's running at 60fps on consoles yet - hell most UE3 games struggle with 30fps...I'm pretty sure that the game will look close to these shots and I really hope for a steady frame-rate, no tearing & motion blur.

Now about the game itself, the game's concept & setting looks very interesting & refreshing to say the least.

Haunted

That dark green sewer shot looks like shit (no pun intended). Shitty colours, bad textures, laughable water (maybe better in motion?)

The last screen is enough to keep me hyped, though. Love the white/orange feel outside. Hope 99% of the game are in that setting.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Haunted One said:
That dark green sewer shot looks like shit (no pun intended). Shitty colours, bad textures, laughable water (maybe better in motion?)

The last screen is enough to keep me hyped, though. Love the white/orange feel outside. Hope 99% of the game are in that setting.

I hope not. Variety is the spice of life.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Was loving the trailer until she said "They got my sister, framed her for a crime she didn't commit"....

hirokazu

Haunted One said:

Yeah, the outside areas look great, I love the colour scheme and look overall. The enclosed areas don't look that great though, that goes for the indoor areas in the teaser trailer too.

SantaC

Amazing music in the trailer. This OST will be epic.

I really wanted to see gameplay footage though :(

I want to like this game so much, the worlds looks nice, the music is nice, the game play concepts seem nice, and overall feel of the game seems good, BUT I just can't get over the first person perspective part. It's gonna kill the game for me. :( Tell me this game controls significantly different from most fps games, please.

agrajag

Banned
This is shaping up to be a stellar game, at least stylistically. Which might be enough to warrant a purchase all by itself. I need to get a 360 or PS3 for this game. *drool*

Awesome art and stuff but aweful story. Damn, what did I just watch? So no police is hunting all runners and you are only one of them? You are THE runner and all the police is after YOU?

How can they ruin a game with such a damn story :(

I'm getting it anyway, my PC is waiting :)

Acosta

Really fantastic.

Rhianna Pratchett is the writer for this game, that is another plus to me, I loved her work on Overlord and Heavenly Sword.

This game is going to be stellar.

LCfiner

beautiful. occasionally I'll forget about this game and then some new screens come in and BLAM, back on my radar.

so I guess what I'm saying is: good job PR/ Marketing. I am powerless against your might. :\

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
I love the screens and the gameplay footage of this game, but that cartoon was really stupid. Why didn't they just use the footage they've already released, which is very impressive, and put the voice over on top of that instead. They also shouldn't reveal too much of the story. The shots are mysterious and appealing, and hearing parts of the story ruins it a little bit. I'd rather experience the story through the game like in Half-Life 2.

Regardless, I'm still just as hyped about the game, I just hope they stop the cartoon garbage and show the game off instead.

Top Bottom