• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Mirror's Edge Screens and animated trailer

I funking love green!
domlolz said:
Hopefully DICE can come up with gameplay that is as good as the game looks...
They already have, it's more a question of if the camera works with said gameplay.

Also water level, Woo yeah! I thought they might do it, that was probably my biggest hope for the game

Trailer and new screens are amazing. I am really looking forward to this game. It already contains several of the key things that I really like in games.

GQman2121

Banned
Cargo pants; of course someone who's parkouring it all over the place is always (always) in cargo's.

It looks beautiful, but if the levels have you jumping on a linear path, that could limit its overall appeal. I want to run and jump on everything.

Haunted

HK-47 said:
I hope not. Variety is the spice of life.
I've got nothing against the other indoor areas shown, like those with the bright orange railing we've seen in the first trailer. I just think the sewers look really boring and uninteresting compared to the rest of the game.

Visualante said:
I funking love green!
orange > green, and that's a fact.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Stink said:
23kz2t.jpg

WHAT WHAT

:lol

this game is unbelievable, the graphics the lighting the art-style the gameplay/concepts to the badass protagonist and her sick outfit all AMAZING

this is how the FPS genre gets redefined guerrilla, take some notes!!

The perception that platforming doesn't work in the first person pespective is something that I hope this game shatters. So far it is looking fantastic. Plus, artificial vertigo is rad.

Timber

Himuro said:
Platformer + fps does not mix.
Are you kidding? Have you ever played a game like Unreal Tournament or Quake 3? If you suck at jumping in those games, you'll get your ass kicked. What makes jumping in first person so much worse than in 3rd?

pr0cs

The animated trailer was pretty bad, at least from a story point of view. I love the screenshots but the early trailer left a lot to be desired, especially around combat.
I'm interested but not sold yet.

Timber said:
Are you kidding? Have you ever played a game like Unreal Tournament or Quake 3? If you suck at jumping in those games, you'll get your ass kicked. What makes jumping in first person so much worse than in 3rd?
If you need to look back it's time consuming, if you fall in an unfamiliar area it can be disorientating. Two issues that shouldn't affect this game seeing as the design is based around momentum and pathways rather than Mario 64 or God of War style puzzles and jumps.
GQman2121 said:
I want to hear more about the danger that you’re facing, it sounds really interesting. I can't believe they've kept this game under wraps for so long.
I think it went into full production Spring last year, so this and the last event are probably the first chances they've had to show something substantial.

Timber

Himuro said:
Those games are not based around platforming.

I guess I feel this way because I was raised on real platformers than the pussy shit people play today.
They're not platformers per se, but it's an integral part of the game and players have to master precision jumping in order to master the game. Combined with how fast-paced the action is, the platformer mechanics are a lot deeper than in most 3rd person games, as you're continually pitched against opponents with their own tactics. It's a perfectly playable and very enjoyable style of gameplay.

But yeah, probably just an effect of today's pussy shit. Glad you're holding on to the real hardcore shit you were 'raised on'. How's Megaman, by the way?

sonicmj1

This game is interesting, and it's good to see that it's coming along well.

Platforming in first person has tended to be a bit of a chore. Metroid Prime did it very well, I thought, but this game is going to be moving much faster than MP, so I don't know if it can use the same sort of techniques and such.

If DICE can nail the camera and such so that it isn't incredibly disorienting, and so that you know where your feet are, then they could really push the first-person genre forward.

Timber

Visualante said:
If you need to look back it's time consuming, if you fall in an unfamiliar area it can be disorientating. Two issues that shouldn't affect this game seeing as the design is based around momentum and pathways rather than Mario 64 or God of War style puzzles and jumps.
I'm gonna mention Unreal Tournament again: You can look around much faster than in 3rd person games, do a 360 turn in less than a second. If you fall, at least you know the camera will stay with you instead of get stuck behind a wall.
Someone mentioned Metroid Prime, and Portal is also a game that did platformer stuff in very well in first person. If you're disoriented in Portal, it's because of the portals and not because of the first person jumping.

sonicmj1

Himuro said:
I still don't see how a first person game could have good platforming. Maybe baby platforming like simply jumping over an object, but nothing particularly complex as seen in say, Yoshi's Island or Rocket Knight Adventures or Megaman Zero.

Naturally, you can do a bit more in 2D in terms of platforming, just because you have a good sense of everything around you from the perspective. But if the perspective is handled properly, I don't see how you couldn't have a first-person platformer with complexity on par with current 3D games in the genre (like, say, Prince of Persia's navigation, or even Mario Galaxy, though I wouldn't want to play that particular game in first person).

Timber

Himuro said:
But Portal is based around a set gimmick that allows the first person platforming bearable, and actually fun. Metroid Prime has the morph ball, which is shown in third person view and not first person, and that's where the majority of that game's interesting platforming comes from.
I'm not saying either game is the very definition of 1st person platforming, I'm using them to point out it is entirely possible and a viable option as opposed to 3rd person. Again, play Unreal Tournament or Quake 3, memorize the levels and play against some skilled players. That's not baby platforming, that's pro shit!

Okay. You've convinced me. Unreal Tournament has pretty much nailed first person acrobatics, so far.. but it still requires a huge skill level and on console it had to be slowed down about 20% to make up for the lack of mouse and keyboard. They said they've focused on a simple control method and presumably this removes some of the risks that Unreal revels in.

this is my most anticipated game.

some people got really good at first person acrobatics in UT and Quake games... but they far from 'nailed' them.

Timber

Visualante said:
Okay. You've convinced me. Unreal Tournament has pretty much nailed first person acrobatics, so far.. but it still requires a huge skill level and on console it had to be slowed down about 20% to make up for the lack of mouse and keyboard. They said they've focused on a simple control method and presumably this removes some of the risks that Unreal revels in.
All true, but as you've said before Mirror's Edge's linearity will most likely lessen the damage done by console controls. You're looking forwards most of the time, every jump is neatly designed, etc.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Really, really love the super-clean, CG-ish look of this game, just like how I love it in Sonic Unleased...

Never got the "oh yes color" statements seeing as the game had at most 3 or 4 colors total, until that sewer shot, and was mostly bright white...

sonicmj1

Himuro said:
Of course you could have a first person platformer on par with current 3d pioneers in the genre. But that doesn't really mean much at all.

Well, if you were hoping for EA to make a hardcore Megaman-esque platformer in first-person, your expectations were never going to be met.

This game has insane graphics. It's like the uber-upgraded Source Engine! I love games that give you clarity in terms of realistic graphics, with no fog.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Looks very good. A heavenly sword vibe to it, I dont know why, except the story and writing seems very weak by comparison.

Vinci

Danish
Ghost said:
Was loving the trailer until she said "They got my sister, framed her for a crime she didn't commit"....

Yes, the writing is shit. That said, the game looks gorgeous.

I'm curious: Is she in the water in that one shot or falling near but not touching it? 'Cause if she's supposed to be in it, there are no signs of wetness on her clothes. It's a minor detail but it definitely breaks from how beautiful the game looks otherwise.

As long as it's fun to play. That's stil up in the air for me.

Otheradam

Art design is incredible. Worried a bit about gameplay though. As some mentioned, I hope they make it more interesting than Assassin's Creed.

Dyno

I am totally hyped. I can't control the hype. The hype has simply taken over on this one.

So far I love everything I've been shown on this game.

teepo

andydumi said:
Looks very good. A heavenly sword vibe to it, I dont know why, except the story and writing seems very weak by comparison.

at the edge of the city, you find out who you really are.

Vinci

Danish
And personally, I think the story would be much better using what she does for a living as a means of introducing something bad happening to her, not her sister being taken, 'framed for a crime she did not commit' nonsense. Sakes alive, storyteller, you have a setup begging to be exploited for narrative potential - and you're introducing a sister into the mix?

Better: Faith is hired to transport information by someone. The information is too sensitive for the controlling government to allow. The person who hired her is killed, therefore there's no reason for her to continue carrying this cargo - except perhaps it's revealed that this is the sort of information that could cause waves. Waves that could impact, possibly cause discontent among, the populace. And maybe having suffered from this her whole fucking life, Faith decides to (a) carry out the job to fruition on the off-chance it could give the government a headache or possibly more, or (b) she says 'fuck this' and gives up the information to the powers that be, only they don't feel anyone who's been in contact with the information should live.

Whatever. Hell, anything but the 'framed' angle.

GQman2121

Banned
Treo360 said:
Trailer looks like the E-surance commercials that play here in the U.S.

That's where it's from!!! Damn it! The whole time while I was watching I kept thinking to my self that I'd seen a show or cartoon that looked similar. It's totally that commercial.

ghostbot-erin.jpg

Kydd BlaZe

Holy fucking SHIT! Now THIS is what I call NEXT-GEN!

OMG I am so hyped for this game. Bullshots or not this shit is HAWT!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think the trailer should have been in real-time instead of a cartoon. WOuld have been much more impressive. Still really looking forward to the game, but I don't like the 2D cartoon.

rager

Banned
Looks great (albeit a little too sterile). I just hope the game matches up. I am still a little skeptical about the first person look.

Time will tell.

Couldn't listen to the audio because I'm at work but...

Is this like Shadowrun? The 'underground' runner part really gives me that vibe.

I'd kill for some Shadowrun action like we saw on the Genesis, minus the setting of course.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
shitty video. both in animation and content. screens look awesome though. hope to see some more at E3.

SantaC

Ether_Snake said:
I think the trailer should have been in real-time instead of a cartoon. WOuld have been much more impressive. Still really looking forward to the game, but I don't like the 2D cartoon.

well the game is in realtime, so it's not like you will play like in the cartoon anyway

SantaC

DICE told us that Mirror’s Edge is going to benefit from a lot of attention to its engineering, and given the developer’s pedigree, it’ll be a topnotch and smoothly running release. The title will employ state-of-the-art data streaming to keep loading-time interruptions down to a minimum, if not mostly nonexistent, and help maintain a high and constant pace to the gameplay. What this means is that you should be able to devote more time to playing and less time being idle.

^

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Otheradam said:
Art design is incredible. Worried a bit about gameplay though. As some mentioned, I hope they make it more interesting than Assassin's Creed.
Assassin's Creed? I don't think any comparisons to AC are warranted, to be honest. This isn't a free roaming game.

Top Bottom