• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Monster Hunter 4 screens - Snowy area, Lagombi, new monsters

beje

Banned
What's weird to me is that it looks worse at first glance than MH3U on the 3DS.

Direct feed captures from the 3DS always look much worse that the actual console screen because usually they don't have AA while the actual game might have some applied. It's something we've known since release date.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Hopefully MH5 lands on PS4. After playing and loving Dragons Dogma and the Souls series, I'm intrigued by this game

Game still looks like butt in stills and will surely have many of the same "archaic" mechanics the series is known for, and I am buying the hell out of it as soon as it's available in North America.

If it's any consolation, the game looks pretty alright in motion.

iyh3zIV7Uuuwv.gif

ib2EiQWvwM3NOr.gif

ibocgaaIs3Lvvv.gif

More here.

Can't wait.

Game still looks like butt in stills and will surely have many of the same "archaic" mechanics the series is known for, and I am buying the hell out of it as soon as it's available in North America.

If it's any consolation, the game looks pretty alright in motion.

iyh3zIV7Uuuwv.gif

ib2EiQWvwM3NOr.gif

ibocgaaIs3Lvvv.gif

More here.

I hope this will end the whole "ground textures lol" and "2004 hardware vs 2011 hardware" thing.

Gestault

I came in because I thought that said "Lamborghini." I was mistaken.

On topic: These look...less impressive than I'd expect. Like, the art looks really nice, but the actual technical detail is rough.

[Edit: Dem gifs are pretty.]

Alrus

Hopefully MH5 lands on PS4. After playing and loving Dragons Dogma and the Souls series, I'm intrigued by this game

Well that won't happen. Return on investment for console MH probably isn't enough for Capcom to bother anymore... Anyway if you feel like playing an HD MH, there's that chinese F2P game which doesn't look awful, apparently it's going to be released in the west too.

Gadirok

3DS: 2011 Hardware

PSP: 2004 Hardware

NextGen graphics!
And still no second stick

i'm sure the 3DS shots will have plenty of good views and it runs better in action just like the PSP and even the Vita with how I originally imagined SS would have terrible ground textures until I saw the entire thing moves like some kind of water when in game.

It can't possibly be that bad, but it only shows why the last thing I would probably buy from Capcom was Okami HD until they change.

If a 3DS demo for the game comes out I'll try that out as well, but I'm expecting another edition later on with refined textures over the sub-par low res textures they have now in MH4.

Monster Hunter Online looks good though.

Alrus

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57861896]Noticeable upgrades or additional gimmicks? They've had a decade to improve the basic gameplay, and they haven't done it once.[/QUOTE]

That's ridiculously wrong.

muu

I just figure the same people complaining about the ground textures are the same people that complain about the archaic lack of lock-on, or perhaps the super-slow controls that is a pain to do anything in.

The new terrain looks fantastic.

Have you played MHO already?

If its a truly online version it will run better than any other online version of MH released so far.

I have high expectations, higher ones than MH4 than the 3DS. I don't even think this one has online.

It's been announced long ago that it'll have standalone internet play.

Gadirok

Plus the lag you would get from playing a truly online version of the game.

No thanks.

If its a truly online version it will run better than any other online version of MH released so far.

I have high expectations, higher ones than MH4 than the 3DS. I don't even think this one has online.

Orayn

MH4 does have online play from day one, on 3DS.

Assault

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57861896]Noticeable upgrades or additional gimmicks? They've had a decade to improve the basic gameplay, and they haven't done it once.[/QUOTE]

The basic gameplay is top-notch, though, and they've refined it with each new numbered entry.

I'll admit when I first started playing Monster Hunter way back on the PSP, my initial impression was that it was a slow, clunky mess of a game with bad controls. However, once you start getting acquainted with how everything works, you really start to appreciate things.

I've had an absolute blast with MH3U so far, can't wait for this new one to come out!

I can't even fathom the mindset of a person who immediately writes off a game based on blown-up development screenshots.

On one hand, it makes me sad that so many people disregard Monster Hunter purely on the basis of its graphics. On the other hand, someone who thinks that way is likely too entrenched in today's "epic HD cinematic experience" games to be able to appreciate the incredibly solid, deliberate game design of Monster Hunter.

That said, some of these screen shots do look a little rough in comparison to MH3U on 3DS, but I have no doubt that the game itself will be stellar. I would be surprised if it weren't.

Mondriaan

That would be awesome, but I don't think I've read anything stating that. Here is to hope, though. The new animations and movements would look pretty sharp if so.

It has that patented 60 fps feel. It would be nice if there was more in the way of ragdoll physics for stuff like getting clobbered by a monster, but that would probably be asking for too much.

The basic gameplay is top-notch, though, and they've refined it with each new numbered entry.

I'll admit when I first started playing Monster Hunter way back on the PSP, my initial impression was that it was a slow, clunky mess of a game with bad controls. However, once you start getting acquainted with how everything works, you really start to appreciate things.

I've had an absolute blast with MH3U so far, can't wait for this new one to come out!

It's fun despite being a slow, clunky mess of a game with bad controls.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57862966]It's fun despite being a slow, clunky mess of a game with bad controls.[/QUOTE]

Look if you have trouble beating the first monster that's on you man.

DaBoss

I don't think controls are one of the problems with MH. The biggest problem for me is the UI and design of it. They need to be shown how to make a better inventory management system, UI, and etc.

Most people remove frames when making GIFs to keep the size down, but I try to leave all of mine at 30fps whenever possible. (Technically 33fps, since they're sped up 10% from the original footage.)

Man, I'm with you on that, that is one of the things that annoys me, I always don't want to cut frames. Do you use Photoshop? If so, what time delay do you put for gifs? I always put 0.03 since that seems to be what results in the closest in gifs looking like that.

Is the game 60FPS? At least that would explain the relative mediocre look.

I would expect it to run at 45fps like MH3U.

I am so hyped, climbing on the walls and jumping off shit. imagine going after a giggi when he sticks on the wall/ceiling and slicing his ass. holy shit cant wait, the whole dynamic of the hunt can change
One of the main reasons I'm hyped is due to the new traversal options. I believe I read that the multiple loading segments will be reduced, so hopefully that comes to pass. Shit is nearly unplayable for me right now because of it. So disconnecting and disjointed. I'll gladly take a hit in graphics if we get more connected areas and new ways to move within them. It's always seemed like such an old piece of the system. The rampant loading, that is.

Ridley327

I am so hyped, climbing on the walls and jumping off shit. imagine going after a giggi when he sticks on the wall/ceiling and slicing his ass. holy shit cant wait, the whole dynamic of the hunt can change

While it doesn't have Gigginox (yet, at least), it does have his big brother, Khezu.

Portugeezer

Whilst I do feel the graphics are underwhelming, mainly the ground textures + coming from Capcom who gave us the best looking 3DS game, it looks a lot better in motion and better than PSP versions, let's be real.

Maedhros

Or maybe some people should keep OFF threads they are not interested in.

Isn't that what you always do in other threads though? I mean, if people weren't really interested in this, would they be posting that they don't like the graphics they see?

People will always do that in forums. See Soul Sacrifice topics and the complaints of shitty ground textures. The complaints are valid, even if the focus of the series is on the gameplay. The game doesn't looks alright even with the movements. But for the fans of the series, I'm sure that's not the focus at all.

Just like series like Pokemon stays with it's core almost intact and still sell as hotcakes. I think the only exception to this is Mario.

Can't wait to play this glorious game, and not being forced to play indiegame#16, mhripoff#13 or moegame#23!

Subtle...

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57862966]It's fun despite being a slow, clunky mess of a game with bad controls.[/QUOTE]
I like its speed and controls. It is to Devil May Cry what Street Fighter is to Marvel.

PSP games also look better in motion...
The graphical differences between MH4 and MHP3rd are about as big as the differences between MHFreedom and MHP3rd(both PSP).
The game will still be awesome, but its kind of a bummer that the series still features about the same graphics as in 2005.

Top Bottom