• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Motorstorm: Apocalypse screens

997559_20110202_screen001.jpg

997559_20110202_screen002.jpg

997559_20110202_screen003.jpg

997559_20110202_screen006.jpg

997559_20110202_screen005.jpg

997559_20110202_screen004.jpg

997559_20110202_screen007.jpg

997559_20110202_screen008.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/motorstormapocalypse/images.html

glaurung

Pure awesomeness.

There were new trailers up on PSN as well, one for 3D and the other for 2D. I don't know what their difference was though, the 3D trailer was smaller in terms of megabytes.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
subversus said:
it's bullshot time!
Thanks for pointing out the obvious. MS has always looked damn good in motion though so this is very representative of the chaos that those screens are trying to convey.

Can't wait to race through that madness.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Hopefully the rubberbanding will be turned down a couple of notches. If that this will be my favorite game ever.

LiquidMetal14

Makes me wonder if they will use MLAA. I would hope that is the default AA method by now. Especially for 1st party games. MS1 and MSPR both looked damn good and had some kind of AA if I recall.

NHale

I couldn't care less about pretty pictures if they continue to have the same rubberband AI. Does anyone know if it's still in?

LiquidMetal14

NHale said:
I couldn't care less about pretty pictures if they continue to have the same rubberband AI like the previous 2 games? Did they say anything about it?
I'll let you know when I buy it day 1.

NHale said:
I couldn't care less about pretty pictures if they continue to have the same rubberband AI. Does anyone know if it's still in?
Motorstorm isn't Motorstorm without the rubberband AI. So yes, it's in.

P.S. -
Rubberband != cheating A.I., what they do, you can do, if don't suck you win.

Shaka

Going to re-buy MS:pR right now. So fucking hyped.
Metalmurphy said:

P.S. -
C'mon dude that's bullshit.

Shaka said:
Going to re-buy MS:pR right now. So fucking hyped.

C'mon dude that's bullshit.

No, it's not. They definitely become insanely good when they're behind, but they never cheat. They don't gain extra speed or infinite turbo. If you don't crash, keep to a good racing line, and optimize your boost you WILL 100% win.

zoukka

Game looks really fun. You can run down some mercs now :b

Metalmurphy said:
No, it's not. They definitely become insanely good when they're behind, but they never cheat. They don't gain extra speed or infinite turbo. If you don't crash, keep to a good racing line, and optimize your boost you WILL 100% win.

But in game where the levels are so long and varied, this quickly becomes a problem.

NHale

Metalmurphy said:

P.S. -

You can drive an almost perfect race and finish it in 3:00min and end up in 5th because you crashed in the last corner, but if you crash 3 times in the 1st lap you can win the race with a 3:45min time. That is the definition of cheating AI.

In Motorstorm: PR if you wanted to win the later races in career mode, you had to cheat the AI by deliberately crashing in the first lap because that way the AI would drive slower in the last laps. Is that fun?

Barrett2

I want to love this series, but yeah, the rubber banding is infuriating. An 8 minute race where the difference between 1st-5th place is less than six seconds is ridiculous for an off road game with numerous paths, crashes, etc.

NHale said:
You can drive an almost perfect race and finish it in 3:00min and end up in 5th because you crashed in the last corner, but if you crash 3 times in the 1st lap you can win the race with a 3:45min time. That is the definition of cheating AI.
No, that's the definition if rubberband AI, not cheating. Again, they don't cheat. They don't do anything that you can't do.

NHale said:
In Motorstorm: PR if you wanted to win the later races in career mode, you had to cheat the AI by deliberately crashing in the first lap because that way the AI would drive slower in the last laps. Is that fun?
I golded all events in both MS and MS:pR. I never cheated the AI... and yes it was crazy fun even if frustrating. I got the same joy out of it as I did from Demon Souls. Same type of frustrating game, same type of great feeling of achievement once you ace a race.

zoukka

Metalmurphy you clearly are a really hardcore gamer and I'm sure the game is rewarding once you put infinite hours on it, but for us normal people, the AI was fucking infuriating.

I have only played half of M2:pR's single player because the rubberbanding just killed it. There's no real progression anyway and you win every race every time with like 1 second to spare. There races aren't even that hard, no matter how shitty your driving is you will win if you can keep the car/bike/truck/whatever on the road for just one lap.

Of course you will lose and lose and lose until you find the one route to keep you on the track even barely but still...

-Amon-

zoukka said:
Metalmurphy you clearly are a really hardcore gamer and I'm sure the game is rewarding once you put infinite hours on it, but for us normal people, the AI was fucking infuriating.

Then by your logic an Ai made for normal people would result in a bloody boring game for the hardcore gamers :)

Hurray Motorstorm's ai !

zoukka said:
I never said otherwise, in fact I even admitted they get crazy good, and it can get frustrating. I was just mentioning the misconception that the AI cheats.

I also think that a Motorstorm without having vehicles near you all the time wouldn't be as fun. The bigger problem is how they make you crash most of the time, they should find a way for the AI to still be around you, but not have the entire grid gank you most of the time.

Nothing bits the thrill of being half sec behind and blowing up you car with the boost overload to win be less then 0.100.

NHale

PetriP-TNT said:
I have only played half of M2:pR's single player because the rubberbanding just killed it. There's no real progression anyway and you win every race every time with like 1 second to spare. There races aren't even that hard, no matter how shitty your driving is you will win if you can keep the car/bike/truck/whatever on the road for just one lap.

Of course you will lose and lose and lose until you find the one route to keep you on the track even barely but still...

It gets a lot worse in the last 1/3 of the festival. After that you need to be a God of the Dualshock to win everytime.

NHale said:
It gets a lot worse in the last 1/3 of the festival. After that you need to be a God of the Dualshock to win everytime.

Meh, I am not that good, severely low in the rankings, got my ass kicked in online pretty much every time. (IIRC I only ever finished 1st once) and I still managed to do it.

CD8HP.jpg

I think people just give up too easily. I just downloaded some Ghosts of the top players. Saw the racing lines they were using, and even though I wasn't even 10 seconds near their times it was still enough to beat the AI. As long as you didn't crash ofc.

NHale

Metalmurphy said:
Meh, I am not that good, severely low in the rankings, got my ass kicked in online pretty much every time. (IIRC I only ever finished 1st once) and I still managed to do it.

I think people just give up too easily. I just downloaded some Ghosts of the top players. Saw the racing lines they were using, and even though I wasn't even 10 seconds near their times it was still enough to beat the AI. As long as you didn't crash ofc.

I said "win everytime" for a reason. Or did you win every race you did?

NHale said:
Erm. I said "win everytime" for a reason. Or did you win every race you did?
Of course not.

So your problem with the game/AI is not that you can't win, but more cause you can't win all the time? oO

Always-honest said:
gimme a convincing demo!!!
Motorstorm doesn't really have that good of a history with demos lol

NHale

Metalmurphy said:
So your problem with the game/AI is not that you can't win, but more cause you can't win all the time? oO

So you didn't read what I was replying to? Maybe you should.

zoukka

Like Petri said, it's not about being able to win all the races, but more abour the frustration and knowledge that the race can end in one mistake and there's no coming back. It's a huge time sink.

stuminus3

Motorstorm AI is as infuriating as fuck, but it does cause some pretty awesome looking smash-ups when every other vehicle on the track plows into you.

On one hand I can see why they put in rubberbanding A.I. Arcade racers have to deal with more variables than circuit racers. I mean, crashing once or flying off a track would probably take you out of the entire race if the A.I. was good. And its not always avoidable. And the mantra of arcade racers is to usually play dirty so there will be crashing go on.

But that is generally why I play the more classic closed circuit racing games. I would like the option of turning rubberbanding off but it could lead to some pretty big balancing issues. Its not an easy thing to counter. Maybe one way would be to respawn the driver closer to the field after a crash (not right on them but closer than you normally would) without changing their behaviour or ability at all.

iNvid02

jett said:
The environments look bland as fuck.

jett
Mr. Negativity
(Today, 03:38 PM)
Reply | Quote

bear in mind its gonna be crashing around you as you race, it looks ok

Jim

Wiv said:
I love bullshots.

Codemasters racing games = bullshots
This just = photo mode

And MSA will be my arcade racing game of the generation. After spending 60+ hours on MS:pR, I'm ready...

jett said:
The environments look bland as fuck.
Not in motion they don't.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
°°ToMmY°° said:
is that what they make you think "bologna" is in US?

No that's what google image search thinks is "bologna".

Barrett2

zoukka said:
Like Petri said, it's not about being able to win all the races, but more abour the frustration and knowledge that the race can end in one mistake and there's no coming back. It's a huge time sink.

Exactly. There is just something very artificial or unnatural about an 8 minute race where despite huge crashes, divergent paths, etc., the race ends with a huge pile of cars neck-and-neck for the final 100 meters, with me sweating bullets, paranoid I will hit a rock or something that will ruin the race for me in the final twenty seconds.

The environmental textures indeed look bad up close and in stills, like in the prequel.
You won't noticed this during the gameplay, like in the prequel.

However, you now get a better PQ and the photo mode now supports stuff to make your screenshots look better.

btw. I'm actually curious about the results of the pixel counters, if the game really renders in 1080p (or something dynamic like WipEout).

coldvein

Banned
am i the only one who is left flaccid by these types of screenshots? i'd like to see what the game will actually look like while i'm playing it please.

Top Bottom