• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Muse album - The 2nd Law - Trailer inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox1304

So, how's everyone listening to the leaks ?

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you got ... intel :D

To listen to those live recordings / snippets, or to wait for the full release of the album ? Hard to choose ...

Muse 2nd Law
- James Bond Title Track
- That bloody mamammamamamamamadness song
- 80s Michael Jackson song
- Piano wankery
- Olympic wankery
- Matt Bellamy singing over Kid A then the CD skips and a bit of Dubstep comes on with a bit of time traveling back to a rave club in Manchester in the early 90s.
- Muse pay homage to 90s Radiohead. Again. Or perhaps Dire Straits. Actually both; Radiohead and Mark Knopfler have combined to do a song with Matt Bellamy. There we go, and then Rage Against the Machine decide to gate crash at the end. Everyone fights.
- Disney Song with John Deacon on bass
- U2 Song possibly recorded on Cubase. <insert vocal sample>
- Chris is bored and decides to invade the album with love songs to his wife channeling the spirit of Dave Grohl, certainly recoded on Cubase.
- Chris again this time paying homage to Queens of the Stone Age... and Foo Fighters again.
- Dubstep Robot song pretending it's in Batman
- Tubular Bells 54

Truant

Panic Station is the best song on the record. It's fresh and inspired.

The other sounds like they're trying too hard.

Chris' songs are good, but they sound a lot like Foo Fighters.

Animals is solid, nice 5/4 timing.

Truant

Muse 2nd Law
- James Bond Title Track
- That bloody mamammamamamamamadness song
- 80s Michael Jackson song
- Piano wankery
- Olympic wankery
- Matt Bellamy singing over Kid A then the CD skips and a bit of Dubstep comes on with a bit of time traveling back to a rave club in Manchester in the early 90s.
- Muse pay homage to 90s Radiohead. Again. Or perhaps Dire Straits. Actually both; Radiohead and Mark Knopfler have combined to do a song with Matt Bellamy. There we go, and then Rage Against the Machine decide to gate crash at the end. Everyone fights.
- Disney Song with John Deacon on bass
- U2 Song possibly recorded on Cubase. <insert vocal sample>
- Chris is bored and decides to invade the album with love songs to his wife channeling the spirit of Dave Grohl, certainly recoded on Cubase.
- Chris again this time paying homage to Queens of the Stone Age... and Foo Fighters again.
- Dubstep Robot song pretending it's in Batman
- Tubular Bells 54

I don't think you know anything about recording. Some of the worlds biggest records have been recorded in Cubase. It doesn't sound any different than any other digital workstation. I'm a Pro Tools man myself, but those comments are just weird.

fuzzfac

Neo Member
Animals is the only song that could rival anything on Showbiz/OoS.
Supremacy and Panic Station are damn awesome too.
The songs that Chris wrote are just utter shit, simple as.
The album does have minimalist vibe to it (especially the tubular bells-esque closer)
Also, Nero produced Follow Me, so that explains the dubstep.

I don't think you know anything about recording. Some of the worlds biggest records have been recorded in Cubase. It doesn't sound any different than any other digital workstation. I'm a Pro Tools man myself, but those comments are just weird.

Think of the people who generally record stuff in their bedroom... it's not as if a first thought review is suppose to be taken seriously. ;)

Truant

Think of the people who generally record stuff in their bedroom... it's not as if a first thought review is suppose to be taken seriously. ;)

Yeah, I guess. That doesn't really have anything to do with Cubase, though. It's just the most pirated DAW out there.

Yeah, I guess. That doesn't really have anything to do with Cubase, though. It's just the most pirated DAW out there.

Well, it does have a lot to do with the amount of poorly produced bedroom rock you hear, which is what I was sort of alluding to! The vocal samples come out of nowhere during that U2 song.

I think my one true criticism of the album is that it's just all over the place. Doesn't seem to flow or manage it's tempo correctly.

Puddles

Banned
Supremacy should have been more balls-out, but I liked it. Panic Station is pretty fun so far. It doesn't sound like anything else I've ever heard before.

I'm almost through my first listen, and while I've enjoyed it more than Resistance I think it's pretty average really. Once again, not enough rock for my tastes, too much cheese, and the dubstep influence on a coupe of tracks I could really do without.

The power and conviction I found in OOS, and the many great rock riffs of Absolution are lacking from a lot of the album.

Puddles

Banned
I'm really digging that Matt actually plays the guitar on this one. Resistance was so tame from a guitar standpoint, aside from the MK Ultra intro riff and Unnatural Selection.

I think Animals is my favorite track on this.

I'm really digging that Matt actually plays the guitar on this one. Resistance was so tame from a guitar standpoint, aside from the MK Ultra intro riff and Unnatural Selection.

I think Animals is my favorite track on this.

Yes, I like this about the album as well.

Puddles

Banned
Does anyone else feel like Muse uses a lot of similar melodies in their songs. I always get deja-vu listening to them.

Found a specific example: "can you free me, free me from this world" in Explorers sounds almost identical to a melody line in Guiding Light.

Does anyone else feel like Muse uses a lot of similar melodies in their songs. I always get deja-vu listening to them.

Found a specific example: "can you free me, free me from this world" in Explorers sounds almost identical to a melody line in Guiding Light.

Yeah, was just trying to place where I had heard that melody before.

Yeah I posted a bunch of similarities on the last page.

TheMan

seemed like a lot of people were jizzing themselves over supremacy over on the muselive boards...it ain't that good. i had already surmised that muse had peaked with absolution, but now i know for sure. i really need to get into some new bands.

Puddles

Banned
If you played me the intro to Liquid State, before any vocals come in, and told me that it was a new Metallica track, I'd believe it.

Seems like Muse's biggest problem in recent years is pursuing its course with the new album. They used to ape the greatest rock band of all time, but now they're aping lesser bands which has lead to a drop in quality.

Still looking forward to the album, but my expectations are in check.

When the fuck did Muse ape Zeppelin?

tumblr_m9341dnlY01qfk3soo2_500.gif

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I was pleasantly surprised in that the album wasn't a total abomination. I think the best songs are Animals, Save Me and Isolated System.

However, just being happy that it doesn't completely suck sums it up. When a Muse album was coming out in the past, it would basically rule my life. Now they're just lame as fuck for the most part. It's partly because my tastes have changed I think, but they're just not as good as they were before in my opinion. OoS and Absolution still hold up. I think if I heard any of these songs on the radio I'd enjoy them, but I wouldn't have downloaded these songs if I didn't know they were by Muse.

Meh.

Oh, I like the ending of Supremacy also. I think that and the aforementioned songs are the only ones I'll really listen to months from now.

Randdalf

You know... I think the first Chris song is actually better than most of the rest of the album, but that's also partially because I can no longer stand Matt Bellamy's singing voice.

In any case, it's a disjointed mess of an album, it's like they had all these ideas and made a bunch of songs and tried to stick as many bells and whistles on each song as they could. They desperately need a good producer.

Truant

You know... I think the first Chris song is actually better than most of the rest of the album, but that's also partially because I can no longer stand Matt Bellamy's singing voice.

He sounds best in a fun and ridiculous setting, like Panic Station. He sounds cheeys when he tried so be dramatic.

I can't listen to Supremacy because of the way he goes "Faaantasssyyyyy". It's like a bad version of Phantom of the Opera.

Panic Station, Animals, Liquid State are the only great songs, imo.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(

In any case, it's a disjointed mess of an album, it's like they had all these ideas and made a bunch of songs and tried to stick as many bells and whistles on each song as they could. They desperately need a good producer.
Pretty much. They're all over the place with this album. Feels more uninspired than The Resistance and that was a pretty uninspired album.

JeTmAn81

Listening to the album now. I hope the non-Matt vocal tracks don't drag things down. I really hate it when bands do that (Weezer's Red Album, etc.) because the results are typically mediocre and make me think they just did it to throw the other guys in the band a bone.

JeTmAn81

Is it me, or does Matt's vocal melody selection seem especially rehashed on this album? There's this one interval that he seems to put into every song (on the other albums as well). It just makes his singing sound formulaic.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Listening to the album now. I hope the non-Matt vocal tracks don't drag things down. I really hate it when bands do that (Weezer's Red Album, etc.) because the results are typically mediocre and make me think they just did it to throw the other guys in the band a bone.

Songs are okay but they sound like a side-project headed by Chris rather than Chris taking over for Bellamy.

Tawpgun

I think everyone can agree that its inconsistent. Some real gems like Supremacy and Animals. I love Panic Station and Madness, seems like a new style that came about ever since Undisclosed Desires. More of like an indie pop- muse style.

Big Freeze aint too bad. Nothing special, but im enjoying it right now. Got a nice jam to it.

sgossard

Supremacy is surprisingly good.

Animals rocks.

Panic station also reminded me a lot of Suicide blonde by INXS.

Explorers does sound a lot like Don't stop me now. It also has a samey chord progression to Invincible.

I already liked Madness and survival a lot.

A good album, but overall

notimpressed.jpg

edit: Liquid state plain sucks.

edit 2: I want more tracks like the 2 last tracks.

JeTmAn81

Well, Chris's songs weren't good. There are some good songs on the album, but I'll have to listen to the whole thing a few times before I can really judge it. I know The Resistance grew on me a lot in the months that followed its release. I certainly enjoyed Madness a lot more than I did on first listen. However, I feel that this is a band that has already reached its peak. It's downhill from here on out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom