• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NA Nintendo stuff (Pikachu N3DS XL, Selects games, MS Superstars Mar 24rd)

Vibed

Don't regret getting Dream Team last year, what a fantastic game. Time to catch up and go back to get Triple Deluxe after playing Planet Robobot. Glad I waited on it, the retail version is always full price. Speaking of Selects, I dunno when NOA will ever put SF643D on the line, so I ended up getting it with the MyNintendo 30% off code, so it's at least a reasonable price.

Is it bad that I'm actually looking forward to the Amiibo integration in Sports Superstars? Lol

Also, a n3DSXL with colored buttons!!! :O

I have the Dream Team 3DS XL and am not sure if I'll ever bother getting a New 3DS XL but my god that Pikachu edition is tempting.

I adore the current Pikachu design. I don't think it's possible for him to be any more perfect than he is now, I feel like if they push him any cuter he'll get into that weird gross over-cute territory.

Decider

Time to grab the original prints of Kirby and Dream Team before the horrible Selects covers come out.

Quick google search said change your location to Canada and foreign credit card should work, but I have not try this myself.
I do this with a UK debit card, it's possible. Just expect an extra charge from your bank.

b3b0p

I don't like the Gamestop bundles, but I feel it does mitigate scalpers from snatching them up quick like and reselling them for at least twice the cost.

That being said, I preordered just in case :)

Finally, SNES VC here I come! Earthbound on the mobile is mine!

Gamestop has these up for pre-order. Initially they made you buy Pokemon Moon or Sun and a charger along with it. Now they have a bundle with just the charger.

More Great Games at a Suggested Retail Price of $19.99 Each: The critically acclaimed Nintendo 3DS games Kirby Triple Deluxe and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team are joining the Nintendo Selects lineup and will arrive in stores mid-February. Nintendo Selects are classic Nintendo games like Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon and Yoshi’s New Island that are available at the great suggested retail price of only $19.99 each.

Still no Star Fox 64 3DS. :/

dolabla

They added another bundle on GameStop. It's just a charger bundle for $212.99: http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3d...ition-with-nintendo-3ds-usb-ac-adapter/142117

I know this is crazy and I shouldn't do it since I already have three 3DS's (old 3DS xl, Anniversary Pokemon New 3DS with dual IPS & the $99 black New 3DS ), but I had to pre-order this beauty.

But what the heck is up with GameStop charging shipping?

If I can catch the non bundle on Amazon, Best Buy, etc, I'm cancelling and pre-ordering on one of those sites.

I'm very confused by all this continued support for the 3DS. It's like they already don't have any faith the Switch will be a success.

b3b0p

I'm very confused by all this continued support for the 3DS. It's like they already don't have any faith the Switch will be a success.

There are many good 3DS games. How many are coming to Switch? How are they going to handle the touch and dual screens?

Some don't see the Switch as a 3DS replacement for many reasons.

The Switch is like the evolution of the Gamecube handle. It's more convenience. I have no interest in a new console. My backlog is huge.

@MUWANdo

Banned

There are 60 million 3DS out there; it's still the dominant platform in Japan and the international demographic doesn't necessarily have a lot of overlap with the -guying-Switch-right-away demographic, so they're not going to immediately stop releasing games for 3DS regardless of what happens with Switch.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

I'd guess that until the Switch (or a version of it) can hit $250/$200, Nintendo probably sees 3DS as a complementary, cheaper platform. An Emily Rogers rumor from forever ago said that support for 3DS was planned through 2018, which so far Nintendo seems likely to be on track to do (unless they suddenly go silent in 2018 after a solid 2017).

This is not unprecedented for Nintendo and their more experimental platforms where they aren't claiming it as a direct successor/part of the same lineage (DS as the "third pillar," Switch as a "new way of playing" that's not a successor to the 3DS or Wii U). For example, the Game Boy Micro released almost a year after the DS released and only half a year before the DS Lite was on store shelves. Additionally, Nintendo published FFVI Advance in late 2006 in Japan and in 2007 in the US/EU, well into the DS's life.

In cases where systems have direct successors, Nintendo still often offers some support late in the life of the system. Despite already having a direct successor released half a year before, DS got Black 2/White 2 in late 2012; Pandora's Tower released outside of Japan in April 2013, half a year after Wii U had launched.

ramparter

Banned
You cant just abandon a product people keep buying. Also I expect many of these games to come to Switch also, I believe Nintendo has put some serious effort to make easier porting games between tgeir platforms. Time will tell.

Still stunned that Mario Sports Superstars isn't coming out on Switch simultaneously... Not to mention Monster Hunter.
Me too. But to be honest I've low expectations for this game, like Mario Sports Mix, Hoops 3on3 etc

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Yep save the switch stuff for the direct.

Once get past E3, I don't think we'll see much 3DS stuff in Directs anymore, and it will increasingly be talked about in press releases like this. Then again, I could see Ever Oasis and Pikmin getting pretty big promotion from this year, though perhaps mostly at E3. The marketing budget on 3DS must be considerably smaller this year compared to last year.

You do know that whole thing is massively overblown, right? You're only going to notice the difference between the screens if you're going out of your way to compare them.

Speak for yourself.

Having owned both first hand and being one of the first few, to compare side by side on GAF - I strongly disagree.

The TN ruins 3D in the way the old 3DSXL impacted the effect. If you're going from 3DSXL to TN 3DSXL, I could see why you'd think the 3D effect was garbage. The IPS has better color gamut as well as screen tech that doesn't shift the 3D effect as badly, when effect is on. Not only that, TN has the shimmer wavy problem that comes across the screen - with any movement.

It's terrible on the N3DSXL.

Any chance the Pikachu 3DS is a Gamestop exclusive? I ask because they appear to be the only one taking pre-orders (or even advertising it on their site).

I bought my new nephew the Super Mario World Lime green one for Christmas but he'd lose his shit for this one.

Already $340 on Amazon. Lol

There are many good 3DS games. How many are coming to Switch? How are they going to handle the touch and dual screens?

Some don't see the Switch as a 3DS replacement for many reasons.

The Switch is like the evolution of the Gamecube handle. It's more convenience. I have no interest in a new console. My backlog is huge.

I also don't have any interest in a Wii U successor cause without third parties it's going to be a repeat of the Wii U. I think that's why a lot of people are hoping the Switch will be replacing both platforms. All the first parties focused on one platform

b3b0p

I bought my new nephew the Super Mario World Lime green one for Christmas but he'd lose his shit for this one.

Already $340 on Amazon. Lol

I also don't have any interest in a Wii U successor cause without third parties it's going to be a repeat of the Wii U. I think that's why a lot of people are hoping the Switch will be replacing both platforms. All the first parties focused on one platform

I just have a huge backlog, dating back to the NES and Game Boy. I don't want another console and more games.

It would be nice for Nintendo to have one platform. In a couple or few years, technology will improve and become more affordable. At that time, I would not be surprised to see a Game Boy like device that is able to play Switch games. I don't see the Switch being portable in the same sense a 3DS, DS, and Game Boy were/are. It's big, it's bulky, it's fragile. What happens when Jimmy drops or steps on his Switch? It also requires a purse something to carry around and not pocketed. I can pocket a 3DS (yes, even the XL without issues).

Megatron

I placed an order for one of these via GameStop. 3ds is such a good system and I have used it heavily, so I want a backup.

I really, really like that Pikachu N3DSXL, but at this point why wouldn't you just get a Switch for $100 more?

Because if you don't already have a 3DS, it has a far better library than the Switch will for the first year and probably far beyond that, possibly ever? And if you do already have one, it's pretty easy to buy a new one, transfer your shit over and sell your old one for a small net loss. I upgraded my 3DS XL to a new 3DS XLand it only cost me $20 (granted the new 3ds XL was on sale).

Koppai

Apparently the preorders are sold out online at GameStop.

Does anyone think you can preorder it in a GameStop store still?

Thanks!

b3b0p

Apparently the preorders are sold out online at GameStop.

Does anyone think you can preorder it in a GameStop store still?

Thanks!

I have an online preorder and an in-store preorder. If there was a way I could give you my online order I would. I preordered online then decided to trek all the way over to Gamestop and do an in-store preorder because I didn't want the game or charger. (I have no car, so I had to bike and the closest one was 3.5 miles. I'm lazy maybe?)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I really, really like that Pikachu N3DSXL, but at this point why wouldn't you just get a Switch for $100 more?

3DS games don't work on the Switch.

If you've never owned a 3DS you're missing out on a hell of a library, even moreso if you've never owned a DS.

Top Bottom