• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Need For Speed Hot Pursuit revealed [EA-CONF]

Slayer-33 said:
Do they really need to add RACE to the fucking title?

If you look at the booth rendering it doesn't seem like it's part of the title (at least it can't be found on the banner behind the first one).

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
farnham said:
I was hoping for a new underground (Best NFS Subseries IMO) but Hot Pursuit way back wasnt half bad (HP2 was not good imo)
As the great philosopher Elaine Benes would say... GET. OUT!!!!!

If this is indeed released in 2010, it's a lock for GOTY and the clincher for the Year of the Racer. That is all. :D

Kajiba

farnham said:
I was hoping for a new underground (Best NFS Subseries IMO) but Hot Pursuit way back wasnt half bad (HP2 was not good imo)

I was hoping they bring back the underground series. But since Hot Pursuit is back the possibility of it returning is good now.

Lets hope.

Nice! I just hope we get some non-urban tracks (like Mountain, Forest, Coastal etc.) I love those kind of tracks in NFS games.

People may have said this but I'm sure the RACE is just part of the menu system in that shot (i.e., select this to race)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
GitarooMan said:
Nice! I just hope we get some non-urban tracks (like Mountain, Forest, Coastal etc.) I love those kind of tracks in NFS games.

People may have said this but I'm sure the RACE is just part of the menu system in that shot (i.e., select this to race)
Race and chase has a nice ring to it. :D

High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed were the last Need for Speed games I really enjoyed (PC versions). Perhaps this will be a return to form?

Mush

Thanks Criterion for reassuring me that Black II hasn't leaked yet. It'll make it all the more sweeter when its revealed next week.

twinturbo2 said:
Race and chase has a nice ring to it. :D

exactly.

The other side of the booth says "chase" I believe. If you're standing on the race side, you're racing, if you're standing on the chase side you drive a cop car. boom. mystery solved.

miserable

Hot Pursuit, best NFS series!
Just keep any tuning/customization bullshit and night racing away from this, and i will buy it day 1.

ram

snk2 said:
Just keep any tuning/customization bullshit and night racing away from this, and i will buy it day 1.

thats bullshit. it will be probably open world, day & night cycle and hopefully tuning. if its burnout paradise with the nfs coat, i am fine - best NFS game since HP2.

ram said:
thats bullshit. it will be probably open world, day & night cycle and hopefully tuning. if its burnout paradise with the nfs coat, i am fine - best NFS game since HP2.
I really, really hope it's not open world.

saladine1

It seems that ther are two camps here. On one hand you have guys wanting no open world, little to no customization and tuning, just some nice old school NFS.
Then you have the guys who want open world, customization+tuning ala Undergound...
'What to do, what to do,' asks EA....fuck it, we'll give them 3 games to choose from!

Gattsu25

Banned
DiscoJer said:
The PC version of that was amazing! Like a Gran Turismo but with Porsches (and damage).

Heck, don't even have to remake it, just port it to the 360/PS3
Was the console version of Porsche Unleashed any different? I only played it on PC and that was an amazing game. Best game in the NFS series

ram

saladine1 said:
It seems that ther are two camps here. On one hand you have guys wanting no open world, little to no customization and tuning, just some nice old school NFS.
Then you have the guys who want open world, customization+tuning ala Undergound...
'What to do, what to do,' asks EA....fuck it, we'll give them 3 games to choose from!

bah - burnout paradise sucked as open world because it has no race tracks - just pointless a to b races. if you have an open world racing game with race tracks ala underground 2, than its all good - especially at 60fps.

scitek

Mush said:
Thanks Criterion for reassuring me that Black II hasn't leaked yet. It'll make it all the more sweeter when its revealed next week.

I take it you don't like what you've seen of Bodycount?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
HFS:HP2 is one of my all time favorite racers. It's the reason I still have my PS2 hooked up. As excited as I am that we're finally getting a sequel, I'm a bit worried with Criterion at the helm. I love the way their games look. Their graphics are beautiful, incredibly fast and silky smooth, but I'm concerned they can't handle it from a gameplay perspective.

Burnout games are fun, but they really are a different experience and the racing sections of that series seems to kind of drive itself. What do I mean by that? When taking corners in every BO game I've played since 3 you start a drift and either slam into a wall and ride it until you're around the corner or you oversteer and crash. As a matter of fact there is a lot of crashing in BO games - to the point they became unenjoyable for me. In BOR (the last good game in the series imo) I remember parts where I crashed literally every 5 seconds. Right when I would get going, I would crash again. Why?

Level design.

After the amazing BO3, I took the constant crashing in races of BOR for a fluke, because other wise the game was enjoyable. Then came BOP. This game was so terrible I regret wasting the $20 I did on it. I'll admit I'm not a fan of open world racing like that of NFS:MW, but this took bad track design to a whole new level. I thought I didn't know where I was going in BOR, but BOP really was unplayable for me. I remember not knowing where to go and also crashing all the time. This was not a fun formula to me and I have a really hard time understanding how people like this type of game.

So, with all that out in the open, I do think that Criterion is capable of making a great NFS game if they respect it for what it is and don't try to make it a BO game. It's okay to borrow certain aspects from BO like it's beautiful graphics, intense speed, solid framerate and destructible cars, but please leave it at that. Keep the tracks in the country and out of the city and keep the cars exotic.

If this didn't have the subtitle "Hot Pursuit" in it, I wouldn't care as much, but this is the last chance for a sequel for people who have been waiting all these years. If they screw this up, there probably won't be any chance of ever having another arcade type NFS again.

Someone needs to fix the wikipedia lol.

"It is confirmed that Criterion Games, developers of EA's own Burnout series, is currently working on a "revolutionary" addition to the Need for Speed franchise called Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit RACE.[22] "

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

-viper-

Banned
Hot Pursuit 3? YES!

HP2 is one of my favourite racers ever.

ram said:
and maybe this time, they wont release the game in alpha state :lol .
Bought that game day one and what a horrible mess it was once you got the Tier 3 cars. They fixed it all up now apparently but too late EA! Sold my games ages ago.

They better fix this shit this time if they are going to release NFS Shift 2. The game had the potential to be very good.

-viper-

Banned
NinjaFusion said:
three NFS games in one year.... THEN WHY THE FUCK AREN'T CRITERION MAKING BURNOUNT, SSX OR ROAD RASH?

for fucks sake ea
Burnout Paradise sucks. I'm tired of playing made up cars in my racing games.

The open world structure ruined it for me. It was great for online play I admit but I preferred the close setup of Revenge and Takedown.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
-viper- said:
Burnout Paradise sucks. I'm tired of playing made up cars in my racing games.
You can't break real cars in half. That's silly. You're silly.

Open world Burnout was pretty boring though.

DiscoJer

Gattsu25 said:
Was the console version of Porsche Unleashed any different? I only played it on PC and that was an amazing game. Best game in the NFS series

It was pretty much gutted for the PS1...

~Kinggi~

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Ubisoft Montreal has almost 2000. Of course, they are spread over several different teams.

Concept17 said:
Yeah, the biggest I'm aware of was Ubisoft's AC2 team...which was supposedly around 400-450 people I think.

These numbers are blowing my mind. I had no idea that many people were involved with some of these studios.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
HYPE GET

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_fa3bf12bs

BLOW MY FUCKING MIND CRITERION.

nc030l.jpg
nc030l.jpg
nc030l.jpg
nc030l.jpg
nc030l.jpg
nc030l.jpg
nc030l.jpg
nc030l.jpg
nc030l.jpg
nc030l.jpg

fernoca

I enjoyed Nitro, on the Wii.
Liked the whole thing about choosing a graffiti, which is sprayed in the city if you're in the first position..the police was brutal too. You're winning and the fucking police starts ramming you and you lose because of them.. :lol

do the people in this thread not realise the booth render was done by a marketing agency building the booth and not by ea themselves...everything on there is really just marking out space, etc for the people at ea to understand and approve.

for fucks sake get over the 'race' bit.

McLovin

ram said:
bah - burnout paradise sucked as open world because it has no race tracks - just pointless a to b races. if you have an open world racing game with race tracks ala underground 2, than its all good - especially at 60fps.
I'll have to disagree it was awesome. I put well over 150hours into that without even realizing it. Once you memorize the city it was all kinds of awesome. You make your own tracks.. man I had so many epic online races.... why did I even stop playing it?! *goes to play burnout*

Threi

notag
HP2 was the ideal NFS atmosphere IMO (Although my fav NFS is still PU). Go back to that, make it good, and you have my moneys.

ram

McLovin said:
I'll have to disagree it was awesome. I put well over 150hours into that without even realizing it. Once you memorize the city it was all kinds of awesome. You make your own tracks.. man I had so many epic online races.... why did I even stop playing it?! *goes to play burnout*

i liked it too - but it was a lot worse than the previous games. just because of the stupid point to point races. with proper barriers on sideways and thus real track design, it would be a lot better.

hopefully criterion realised this for their need for speed.

szaromir

Banned
Psykotik said:
please allow custom soundtracks so i can put fever for the flava by hot action cop in this game.
?
Every game has custom soundtracks support.

NfS Porsche was the last NfS I purchased. If they go back to roots, I might consider a NFS game again. :D

Top Bottom