• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Need For Speed Hot Pursuit revealed [EA-CONF]

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Amazon.com has the first screenshots of the Wii version if anyone's interested in that version. I'd post them but I'm at work. From what I can tell, the graphics look pretty good. They're about on par with NFS:Nitro, but more realistic looking. There are only 4 shots and from what I can tell, they all appear to be set in more of a city type environment as opposed to the country of the Criterion version. It also looks more arcadey than the PS3/360 versions with flames left on the road from boosting and some type of shockwave going over a car presumably from an EMP blast. There's 4 player split screen as well. Info on the Wii version is non existant which is odd considering this is coming out in roughly two week.

Pandemic

Oh, here are the Wii screenshots,
610OYW5bBSL._AA1000_.jpg

613UdzG9ZML._AA1000_.jpg

71rnRQjekZL._AA1000_.jpg

61X%2BkV17HcL._AA1000_.jpg

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Thanks Pandemic. I'm pretty sure NFS:Nitro ran at 60fps also, so hopefully this one will as well since it's using the same engine.

Majine

Banned
"Okay, The Wii, how can we make it as visually appealing as on the HD versions?"
"Firey cartracks, duh"
"Ofcourse!"

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Majine said:
"Okay, The Wii, how can we make it as visually appealing as on the HD versions?"
"Firey cartracks, duh"
"Ofcourse!"
The flames were in NFS:Nitro which was built for the ground up for Wii. This game's using the same engine so I guess they decided to keep it in.

The Wii version looks like crap. If my memory is correct, NFS:HP2 on PS2 (baest racing game ever) looks much better.

Couldnt they just use that engine....?

seady

jamesinclair said:
The Wii version looks like crap. If my memory is correct, NFS:HP2 on PS2 (baest racing game ever) looks much better.

Couldnt they just use that engine....?

People have way too great memories of the PS2. Go back and play some games on it to see it yourself now.

Pandemic

So, a website has posted an article regarding possible DLC for Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

The evidence?
Well, as you can see each road has a number assigned to it,
sc-map.jpg

The numbers assigned to each road are 14,20,21,24,27,28 and 32. Now the website thinks DLC will be released which will fill in the missing numbers, but also think the map is way too empty for there not to be DLC.

Here's the link,
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - DLC plans

Could Criterion be releasing a new map, just like they did for Burnout Paradise which included the Big Surf Island DLC?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
seady said:
People have way too great memories of the PS2. Go back and play some games on it to see it yourself now.
He's right about the PS2 version of HP2 being one of the best racers ever. I've still got my PS2 hooked up just for that game. It's a little early to judge the Wii version though. It's likely to run at a better framerate than the PS2 game as well as the one for PS3/360. I doubt the environments will look better though. The Wii version will probably be closer to the first two Hot Pursuit games while the Criterion one seems to be more like the original NFS. If that's the aim they were going for, it kind of makes you wonder why they made it a Hot Pursuit sequel.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Pandemic said:
So, a website has posted an article regarding possible DLC for Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

The evidence?
Well, as you can see each road has a number assigned to it,
sc-map.jpg

The numbers assigned to each road are 14,20,21,24,27,28 and 32. Now the website thinks DLC will be released which will fill in the missing numbers, but also think the map is way too empty for there not to be DLC.

Here's the link,
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - DLC plans

Could Criterion be releasing a new map, just like they did for Burnout Paradise which included the Big Surf Island DLC?
Criterion already said they would have DLC awhile back. IIRC you can get certain cars as DLC depending on where you preorder the game from. This is the first I've heard about tracks though.

MiniDitka

MadOdorMachine said:
Thanks Pandemic. I'm pretty sure NFS:Nitro ran at 60fps also, so hopefully this one will as well since it's using the same engine.
If it is using the same engine as Nitro than thats good new to me because I think Nitro looks and plays great. Its actually my second favorite racer next to B3:Takedown.

Pandemic said:
Oh, here are the Wii screenshots,
my god.. are these better than gamecube graphics?.. seriously. have we been spoiled so rotten that this looks so horrible that we think this looks worse that pS2 games?.. i just don't know anymore.

dwebo

Always-honest said:
my god.. are these better than gamecube graphics?.. seriously. have we been spoiled so rotten that this looks so horrible that we think this looks worse that pS2 games?.. i just don't know anymore.
Might just be a bad selection of screenshots, though the cars themselves look pretty good (for the Wii). It's the same deal with that Ford Shelby picture two posts up - sexy car model, hideous background.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Always-honest said:
It's a bit early to say judging off of 4 screenshots. From what I've seen of the Criterion version, I still prefer the environments of HP2 on PS2. As far as the Wii version goes, racing games almost always look better in motion as well plus this potentially runs at 60fps. If it's anything like NFS:Nitro is will have a fast sense of speed and will have circuit races more akin to previous HP games as opposed to the original NFS. Here are some pictures of the PS2 game for comparison.

Edit - Added in rehosted Wii version
hp2_0828_11.jpg
5133624328_7e6663e1e5_z.jpg

hp2_0828_7.jpg
5133023027_6df613a144_z.jpg

nfsps2_screen001.jpg
5133022679_48ac00e7d1_z.jpg

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I wonder if the wii version will have good old classic arcade handling. I can't stand hot pursuits handling, i find it to be atrocious.

Also that map looks as boring as burnout paradise. I'm starting to hate open world racing games even more than i used to.

MiniDitka

evlcookie said:
I wonder if the wii version will have good old classic arcade handling. I can't stand hot pursuits handling, i find it to be atrocious.

Also that map looks as boring as burnout paradise. I'm starting to hate open world racing games even more than i used to.
I hope the Wii version handles like Nitro. I few Nitro pics I captured.

AVerMediaCenter2010-10-3117-59-33-25.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2010-10-3117-59-34-70.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2010-10-3117-36-18-89.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2010-10-3117-45-44-96.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2010-10-3117-49-33-93.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2010-10-3117-54-29-42.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2010-10-3118-05-39-53.jpg

AVerMediaCenter2010-10-3118-05-54-07.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wow! Just tried the demo, I'm impressed by the design!

Driving part of it doesn't feel as tight as Burnout, nor does it look as pretty imo...

Considering getting this now.

dwebo

evlcookie said:
I hate open world racing games too, but the map is a clear improvement on Paradise. For one, there's no city, so there's no endless amount of useless side streets. Also, it looks like they're going for more environmental variety, which is possibly a negative if you prefer your racing game open world to be realistic, but a boon to pretty much everyone else.

Pandemic

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Bumping this up for the Wii owners since there's already an official thread for the Criterion version. Two more days until this comes out and the only place I've found any info is from Amazon's website. Details are sparce, but this looks to have circuit races as well as open world. Yeah!

Product Details:
  • Four cities based on the real world locations Chongqing, Dubai, Rio de Janeiro and Las Vegas, with 20 tracks located there
  • Become the best driver on the streets by competing in races, evading cops and earning bounty
  • Six event types including Hot Pursuit, Eliminator, and the flat-out insanity Rush Hour mode which has the player racing against 99 other racers
  • Enhance the intensity of the pursuit with eight unique Supe-Up power-up options which players can pick up and use in races to improve their vehicle's performance or to hinder opponents
  • Experience the thrill of driving 33 of the world's most desirable high performance cars at incredible speeds

Amazon said:
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit is a high energy racing game that brings the thrill of racing, and chasing to Wii like no game before it. The game allows players to experience 20 unique tracks patterned after real international locations, while driving 33 of the world's most desirable high-performance cars at incredible speeds. Using power-ups spread throughout six different race event types players build their racing careers to become the ultimate force behind the wheel. Additional features include: four-player split-screen support and multiple Wii compatible controller support.

A Revolutionary Addition to the NFS Franchise
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit for Wii thrusts players into the thrill of the chase as they evade cops and takeout opponents at 150 mph. In this fast-paced play environment gamers will race the open world across the real world inspired cities of Chongqing, Dubai, Rio de Janeiro and Las Vegas. Players must battle it out until the finish line to prove their racing skills and earn bounty to become the most notorious street racer.

Of course, as the player's bounty increases, the cop AI adds to the mayhem as they set up road blockades and engage in adrenaline-fueled high-speed pursuits in an attempt to take out the racers. Player's can further amp up the intensity by battling up-to-four friends via split screen action. Whether it's with the Wii remote, Nunchuk, the classic controller or the Gamecube controller, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit lets gamers race it their way. All this combined with fresh modes and tracks make Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit one of the most exciting, heart-pounding arcade racers for the Wii.

Key Game Features
Career and Event Types - Become the best driver on the streets by competing in races, evading cops and earning bounty. The better you perform, the more bounty you achieve which can be used to purchase and upgrade cars. There are six event types including Hot Pursuit, Eliminator, and the flat-out insanity Rush Hour mode which has the player racing against 99 other racers.

Supe-Ups - Enhance the intensity of the pursuit with eight unique Supe-Up power-up options which players can pick up and use in races to improve their vehicle's performance or to hinder opponents. These include Cruise Control, Tank, Soundwave, Boost, Repair, Deflect the Heat and Jammer.

Cars and Tracks - In Hot Pursuit, the cars go from hot to hotter. Experience the thrill of driving 33 of the world's most desirable high performance cars at incredible speeds. Feel the power of outsmarting the law in high performance supercars like the Bugatti Veyron, Lamborghini Gallardo and McLaren MP4-12C.

Race the Open World - Race the open world of four cities based on the real world locations real world locations Chongqing, Dubai, Rio de Janeiro and Las Vegas. There are 20 unique tracks based in these cities with each city also being available as an open world for boss battles.

Top Bottom