• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NeoGaf TOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax (old)

Banned
I. Membership and Admissions

A. NeoGAF operates under a closed membership policy. Membership is granted or refused based solely on the judgment of the administration and is not a right. Membership can be revoked at any time for any reason. Each accepted member is granted one, and only one, username. If you are caught using multiple usernames, you will be subject to immediate and permanent banning of all accounts involved. If you wish to change your username, simply notify an administrator via Private Message (though bear in mind that frequent changes will be frowned upon).

B. You must register with an ISP, education, or workplace email address. All free email addresses (gmail, yahoo, etc.) are prohibited and will not be approved.

C. By registering an account at NeoGAF.com and participating (including but not limited to submitting posts or private messages on NeoGAF.com), you hereby grant NeoGAF LLC and our licensees, distributors, agents, representatives and other authorized users, a perpetual, non-exclusive, irrevocable, fully-paid, royalty-free, sub-licensable and transferable (in whole or part) worldwide license under all copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets, privacy and publicity rights and other intellectual property rights you own or control to use, reproduce, transmit, display, exhibit, distribute, index, comment on, modify, create derivative works based upon, perform and otherwise exploit the messages posted or private messages sent on NeoGAF.com, in whole or in part, in all media formats and channels now known or hereafter devised, for any and all purposes including entertainment, news, advertising, promotional, marketing, publicity, trade or commercial purposes, all without further notice to you, with or without attribution, and without the requirement of any permission from or payment to you or to any other person or entity.

II. Expected Behavior

NeoGAF is a place to hold civil discussions about videogames, the videogame industry, and all videogame-related material. The Off-Topic forum is also available for general discussion, but follows the same principals, requirements (sans the requirement of the discussions to be related to videogames), and terms for acceptable material. Heated debates on the forums are welcome, as long as they abide by the established guidelines. If an administrator or moderator sees that a thread or poster violates these guidelines, the thread may be closed or deleted, and posters may be permanently or temporarily banned from the forum. Please keep in mind that there is no tenure granted on this forum--your post count or association with other posters does not protect you from being banned. Additionally, bans are not necessarily precipitated in their entirety by a single violative event. The sum of actions leading up to a member’s removal is taken into account, so what may appear to be a minor breach of conduct may actually be the final occurrence in a long string of offenses.

A. Language

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use NeoGAF to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. Sexual, racial, or ethnic slurs will not be tolerated in any form and are bannable on the first offense. It is recommended that profanity be held to a minimum, as it does not promote civil conversation. Foul language in the form of insults directed towards other forum members may result in a ban.

B. Trolling

Trolling is considered to be the act of purposely being disingenuous to an active discussion. Negative commentary on given topics is by no means disallowed; however, such comments should attempt to be substantiated. No matter your supposed intent, if the forum administrators perceive you as a troll making unsubstantiated comments in an attempt to provoke the community, actions may be taken by the administrators.

C. Images

Images of a sexual or profane nature are discouraged. Images presenting exposed genitalia, bared buttocks, and/or female nipple/aureola are not allowed. Outside of this, common sense and a "safe-for-work" rule should be the primary considerations. Also, spamming the forum with the same image is not allowed and is subject to banning. Avatar images are restricted to a maximum of 100x120 pixels in size, and should not contain any questionable content.

D. Copyrighted Material

The posting of full transcriptions of articles and whole or partially-scanned images is not allowed. Users in breach of this rule are subject to banning. The posting of review scores (without text), news summaries, rumors, and review paraphrasing is acceptable, as long as credit is given to the original source.

E. Emulation/Piracy

The topics of emulation and piracy, including the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software will all result in the banning of the user in question.

F. Spam

Outside advertisements or solicitations promoted by posting messages, private messaging, or e-mailing users via NeoGAF is unacceptable and will be subject to banning. Examples include: pyramid schemes, your own website or product, etc. If you wish to promote your company or website, contact the advertising team.

III. Moderation Policy

A. Moderation of NeoGAF is not by committee. All decisions with regards to thread closure and movement, permanent and temporary bans, and membership issues are made by the NeoGAF administration and are final. That being said, constructive criticisms and suggestions are welcome, provided they are directed to NeoGAF Administration via private e-mail, here.

B. Considering the real-time nature of NeoGAF, it is impossible for us to review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of and are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of NeoGAF LLC or any entity associated with it. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.

C. Although we cannot review every messages posted, and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to edit or delete any message for any reason. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold NeoGAF LLC harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).

D. We reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you), typically in (but not limited to) the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

E. No posts should be made regarding your opinion of another user's actions or behavior. You may not discuss the NeoGAF rules and regulations on the forum. Any and all discussions regarding these matters should be discussed by email only.

F. Registration to this forum is free of charge. We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed above. Also be aware that these terms are subject to change at any time without notification. Note: if you are 13 or under, you are prohibited from registering.

Updated October 28th, 2011

What in the world.

Edit: Shouldn't a change in the TOS like this require that the owner actually make it known by posting a thread instead of keeping it quiet?

Shanadeus

Banned
Hm, does this apply to old threads and posts?
If yes, do we have the right to delete these old threads and posts if we do not want them to be owned by NeoGAF (as they were made under the assumption that we owned them?)?

FStop7

Banned
Yeah, not legal. But who has the time or money or even cares enough to actually challenge it?

Same here, I won't be posting any more of my photography, either. It's the easiest way to avoid any problems.

edit - The best solution is to post off-site links to where your photos are at, rather than hotlinking/embedding them.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Who would assume that the things you post on NeoGAF wouldn't be potentially stolen and used elsewhere anyways?

Sofo

Well, that takes care of the photography and arts and farts threads. Pretty disgusting if you ask me.

Ark

Meh, doesn't bother me too much.

@Photography people: Wouldn't putting a watermark/signature on your work eliminate that problem anyway?

Ark said:
Meh, doesn't bother me too much.

@Photography people: Wouldn't putting a watermark/signature on your work eliminate that problem anyway?

stock-photo-4135965-traditional-english-pub.jpg

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Souldriver said:
I have no idea WTF that sentence is saying.

Do I still own the clothes I'm wearing?
Not if you've posted a picture of you wearing them on GAF you don't.

Souldriver said:
I have no idea WTF that sentence is saying.

Do I still own the clothes I'm wearing?

Basically anything you post on GAF (an idea, strategy, picture, story, anything) can be used by the owners without notice or payment for the profit of the forum owners.

survivor

Banned
It doesn't affect me personally since all what I post is trash anyway, but I can see where the photography and art people are coming from. I'm hoping Evilore will clear up this issue soon.

It's pretty obvious that Evilore is trying to steal poetry gaf and photography gaf's work for his own profit. He's probably already working out the publishing deal for his book of photoshops.

Well, that's one way to kill the creative elements on GAF.

What's the deal, Evilore? You're a cool dude, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is some sort of automatic update that's slipped you by or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom