• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new nintendo 2ds xl comes out july 28 $149

So this is the same price as the standard N3DS but you are trading (actually good) 3D for bigger screens.

I dunno, man. I actually do like the way it looks but that ad is extremely disingenuous in how it represents the screens. IRL blown-out pixels and jaggies everywhere...

But the Gameboy Micro is awesome. It brought back the headphones jack. It's adorably tiny. It has the best face buttons. It had a better screen than the SP AND the DS Phat.

I hate 3D on the 3DS, so it's a good trade off for me. I agree though, they misrepresented the quality of the screens in that ad. Unless of course they're going to actually use IPS screens. If not, there's no way in hell the screens look that good off-angle (or even straight on for that matter).

oti

Banned
I got rid of my 3DS XL last year and I might actually bite on this for the new FE game but not at that price. The $150 price seems pretty steep, $129 maybe and at $99 these things would sell like hotcakes. I'll pass for now

I'm sure there's a ton of price cut potential in this thing. They got rid of the costly 3D screen after all.

But for the 2DS XL to hit 99 the 2DS would have to be like 40 or something.

malfcn

I really want one to replace my 2DS but I'm not a big fan of that turqoise.

smangitgirl.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Facetracking 3D was the biggest incentive to spending money to upgrade my normal 3DS, so this doesn't really offer anything for me.

NolbertoS

Nintendo gonn milk the 3DS family for 2-3 years with hardware and some software. I recall the GBA was like $99 when the DS was released. Nintendo is smarter than GAF and analysts give them credit. They got Switch sales printing money and to people that can't afford a switch, drop the price on the 3DS family line, get rid of the 3D feature and now they can mill more money.

Arkam

I saw this day of announcement randomly on youtube and was pleasantly confused. This is a superb redesign. I have a strong feeling it will be in my possession by year's end for enjoying my 3ds games down the road. I say this as a happy Switch owner.

jts

...hate me...
If this somehow has dual IPS confirmed I will likely buy it, eventually.

IPS/TN lottery is a big reason why I haven't upgraded to a New 3DS XL yet. Hate that lottery bullshit with a passion.

So if the Switch's "This is a home console- not a handheld" narrative is akin to the "third pillar" talk when the DS launched, than this new 2DS is the analogue to this thing, right?

Wikipedia_gameboy_micro.jpg

onipex

So Nintendo is clearly sticking to the dedicated handheld market. They might as well since they control it. This makes me think that they will release a more portable Switch. I wonder if they'll do a portable only Switch that plays 2DS games the way the DS played gameboy games.

televator

Im in at that price. Been meaning to get New XL upgrade anyway, but I never cared for 3D and people want premiums for their used shit.

I might actually pick one up. I had a New 3DS XL but sold it because I needed some cash and never played it. I like the lack of 3D since I never used it anyway (it also tanked the FPS in like 2/3 of the games I tried it) and the price is more than fair. Might pick one up for Pokemon and these Fire Emblem games that seem to be all the rage.

Shiggy

While Nintendo of Europe does not give any RRP, the ordinary price will be 169.99 EUR. That is the same as the New Nintendo 3DS, which did not contain a charger though.

The Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, and New Nintendo 3DS are phased out now. Retailers will only receive New Nintendo 2DS XL and New Nintendo 3DS XL units, as well as remaining stock of older models.

While Nintendo of Europe does not give any RRP, the ordinary price will be 169.99 EUR. That is the same as the New Nintendo 3DS, which did not contain a charger though.

The Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, and New Nintendo 3DS are phased out now. Retailers will only receive New Nintendo 2DS XL and New Nintendo 3DS XL units, as well as remaining stock of older models.

NA is alone again in not getting a white-colored model? Nintendo, please.

Is eshop content tied to your email? I've only bought Pokemon Yellow on my 3DS XL and if I get a 2DS XL can unjust redownload it or do I need to do some stupid transfer thing?

Pokemaniac

Is eshop content tied to your email? I've only bought Pokemon Yellow on my 3DS XL and if I get a 2DS XL can unjust redownload it or do I need to do some stupid transfer thing?

It's tied to your NNID (if you made one).

But you'll still want to do a System Transfer (requires both systems present and online). If you don't do a System Transfer, you'll have to call Nintendo and lose all your saves.

It's tied to your NNID (if you made one).

But you'll still want to do a System Transfer (requires both systems present and online). If you don't do a System Transfer, you'll have to call Nintendo and lose all your saves.
Do you know if BestBuy or GameStop let's you do that if you are reading in you 3DS?

Are we going to have to wait until e3 to get more info on this? And the blue and black being the only option for preorder on best buy is worrying.

The hell?
I kinda want it.
I always liked the 3DS, but thought the resolution was too low to do the 3D effect justice. This looks like it could be a great compromise.

Noctilum

The price defeats the purpose of the 2DS, which was to make the games more accessible. A few more bucks and a little patience on sales and you can have the full n3DS. I can't believe that that old 3D technology really costs $50, or even half of that for a profit margin, at this point.

jts

...hate me...
The price defeats the purpose of the 2DS, which was to make the games more accessible. A few more bucks and a little patience on sales and you can have the full n3DS. I can't believe that that old 3D technology really costs $50, or even half of that for a profit margin, at this point.

Doesn't that play in favour of the N2DSXL's price though? You're saying that they are cutting less than $50 worth of tech, but the price does get cut by full $50. Seems like a good value.

NeOak

It's a XL at the price of the small NN3DS.

Top Bottom