• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS AUS/NZ Launch |OT| Featuring Thieving European Importers

Actually, I'm convinced the new design likely won't get marks, or at least the regular New won't - there's actually a slight buffer between the screen and the raised lower screen thanks to the little rubber stops, and the border has a soft curve.

So I got the New 3DS Regular. I'm pretty happy with it. The screen is great, the viewing angles are so much better for the 3D, no glossy shit unlike the XL, the C-stick nub is surprisingly responsive and comfortably placed, and I'm planning to preorder the ORAS cover plate. A fantastic upgrade.

Sure, there's been more substantial upgrades for Ninty handhelds, but that's mainly because their original iterations weren't great, but the new 3DS is pretty sweet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nintendo are doing everything they can to make me not want one.

- XL has bigger screens so I want that one
- but I want the faceplates and SNES buttons from the smaller one
- but the smaller one isn't much cheaper so the XL seems better value.
- but the XL is glossy

If only they'd made faceplates and SNES buttons for the XL... Sigh

NewGame

Banned
Got my N3DS XL today. All the stores were sold out except for Target and EB games, but EB games LOL as if. So I got mine from Target.

Pros:
- Fantastic screen quality. I was worried about the 'yellowing' issue but so far everything looks fantastic.
- Wonderful build quality. The new design is very eye pleasing and everything makes sense.
- Buttons feel great, nice and clicky. Dpad too.
- Fast! System is fast. Noticeable from using an XL with over 13GB of games on it.

Cons:
- I don't like the new position of the styli #teamrightside
- Getting the back plate off to put the larger SD card in was a real pain and also scary as I didn't want to scratch the system.
- I don't see a point to the ZL and ZR triggers.
- I still friggin' hate the 3D mode.

ramyeon

I wish mine would hurry up and charge. I know you probably don't need to charge it fully before use but I feel like I should anyway :/

Nintendo are doing everything they can to make me not want one.

- XL has bigger screens so I want that one
- but I want the faceplates and SNES buttons from the smaller one
- but the smaller one isn't much cheaper so the XL seems better value.
- but the XL is glossy

If only they'd made faceplates and SNES buttons for the XL... Sigh

This is my thoughts exactly. Was going to get an XL until I realized these things. Not interested in the smaller 3DS at all.

Atouba

Play Asia will ship on Monday.

Dear Tim,

We are happy to inform you that your New Nintendo 3DS is in transit right
now, and you will be receiving your console shortly. However, we apologize
to inform you that we won't be able to ship until the morning of the 24th
(GMT +8) as our supplier has just confirmed the arrival date.

Please understand that the Australian New Nintendo 3DS is shipping from
Australia to Hong Kong; thereafter we will immediately ship your console to
you so that you can get to gaming as soon as possible.
If you have any concerns or questions, please contact our Customer Service:
CS@Play-Asia.com and they will be more than happy to help.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and we look forward to your
continued support.

Want it noooooooow!

Felensis

Banned
...can someone clarify if sd cards bigger than 32 GB (which is the maximum supported size according to Nintendo) are working with (N)N3DS and if yes what problems may occur? I've read that it could cause data loss?

Rich!

...can someone clarify if sd cards bigger than 32 GB (which is the maximum supported size according to Nintendo) are working with (N)N3DS and if yes what problems may occur? I've read that it could cause data loss?

They arent officially supported by nintendo however any cards above 32GB work absolutely fine if you format it to FAT32 before using with the 3DS by right clicking on the drive in windows.

There have been no issues ever reported with this, and I have never heard anyone losing their data.

Returned my New 3DS XL tonight. I hated the gloss so much that I didn't want to touch the thing. The new way it handles 3D is nice but other than that there's no much else going for it, the extra buttons and C 'stick' aren't useful yet, though I will say the speakers did sound better. I'll wait and see if they release a design without gloss or at the very least a more interesting design that makes up for the gloss. Happy to stick to my old XL until then though.

Yrael

I've spent a bit more time with my n3DS now. The better 3D is wonderful - I tried it out with Ocarina of Time. I think I'll start using the 3D much more from now on.

It's incredibly comfortable in my (admittedly rather small) hands. I like the new placement of the volume slider too. However, I have to admit that I would have preferred the stylus to be in the side rather than the front. Also, I think I would have preferred a cleaner white to the bone-white colour; however, my little 3DS is now sporting a rather lovely mushroom plate on the outside!

Felensis

Banned
They arent officially supported by nintendo however any cards above 32GB work absolutely fine if you format it to FAT32 before using with the 3DS by right clicking on the drive in windows.

There have been no issues ever reported with this, and I have never heard anyone losing their data.

Much appreciated, thanks for the info! :)

Felensis

Banned
I just received this email too, can't wait to get it (hopefully in time for ORAS) :)

I've ordered late on November 18th and now my status has been updated with '1-2w' and 'More stock is expected on Nov. 24th' :-(

Anyway, that's still way earlier than the official EU release... :p

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Everything I have ever ordered from playasia arrived in the UK within three days.

Play-Asia says it will be shipped with FedEx ECO and doing a simulation on their site tells it should arrive by thursday here in France (and I should get ORAS the same day or friday from Amazon).

Fingers crossed ^^

Rich!

Sounds good! But I know the german customs - i'm sure they will expand the delivery time :D

Maybe.

That's why I am impressed with DHL. They invoiced me customs straight away before my N3DS reached the UK and even left me an automated voicemail to let me know. This meant I was able to pay it online before it arrived so that its put through customs immediately and delivered straight to me.

Just a shame it wasnt quick enough to get it delivered today! I'll have it on monday though. Three days from New Zealand isn't bad at all.

Jofamo

I seen that 365games expect to have their imports through customs, and in their hands on Monday. They said they can't make any promises, but it sounds like they could ship to customers earlier than expected.

vanty

My XL had around half charge to begin with and I had it charging while doing the wireless system transfer and it was fully charged by the end of the hour or so it took for the transfer to complete.

Rich!

One point about Play Asia:

I have never been charged customs for anything I've ordered from them. I have noticed that everything I've got from them via fedex has been shipped to me in the UK was not directly, but through France first.

Maybe thats why? Maybe customs regard it as a cross-EU import, and as such exempt due to that?

jaosobno

iNP4Ztp.jpg

This looks amazing...

I see that some people say that the scratching issue is still present. Shouldn't those plastic/rubber nubs above top screen prevent the lower one from ever touching the top one?

Rich!

This looks amazing...

I see that some people say that the scratching issue is still present. Shouldn't those plastic/rubber nubs above top screen prevent the lower one from ever touching the top one?

Those were on the OG XL and it didn't solve anything.

NewGame

Banned
Transfer (Total wireless) take hours HOURS. All day.

Also this sort of proves that games from the eShop are linked to your NNID.

Rich!

Transfer (Total wireless) take hours HOURS. All day.

Yeah...that's why you should just select the minimum transfer option (licences and NNID) and use a computer to copy the SD card over to a micro sd.

That way it only takes half an hour. I've already got my micro SD card ready to go, so I will have my console set up in no time.

Yrael

Yeah...that's why you should just select the minimum transfer option (licences and NNID) and use a computer to copy the SD card over to a micro sd.

That way it only takes half an hour. I've already got my micro SD card ready to go, so I will have my console set up in no time.

Yup, this is what I did. Much quicker and easier.

Rich!

Yup, this is what I did. Much quicker and easier.

Yep. I copied my 16GB SD content over to my new 32GB micro SD and I'm now using that in my OG 3DS in an adapter.

When my N3DS XL turns up on monday, I just need to select the option to transfer the licences over, wait half a hour and then swap the SD cards over. Done!

jaosobno

Those were on the OG XL and it didn't solve anything.

Just read a few threads and seen some pics. It seems there is a decent amount of space between screens on regular XL. Bumpers leave enough space so the two screens don't touch at all. Do people apply pressure on their 3DS', therefore causing two screens to rub each other? Carrying in the pocket or putting things on top of 3DS would do that (although I can't imagine why people would leave something on top of their handheld).

Here are two pics from GAF:

Here is the thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735377

Rich!

Just read a few threads and seen some pics. It seems there is a decent amount of space between screens on regular XL. Bumpers leave enough space so the two screens don't touch at all. Do people apply pressure on their 3DS', therefore causing two screens to rub each other? Carrying in the pocket or putting things on top of 3DS would do that (although I can't imagine why people would leave something on top of their handheld).

Here are two pics from GAF:

Here is the thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735377

I never, ever put my XL in my pocket or even in a bag.

Impotaku

There is no problem just people freaking out over nothing, the only time those screens will ever touch is if you push them together and squash the rubber.

I have an original launch 3DS, a 3DS LL & a N3DS the only model that has ever had a problem was the original launch model, neither of my others have had any marks on the screens and i have already played the N3DS extensively for quite a few weeks now the screen is as pristine as it was when it was brand new, just don't jam the thing in your pocket and use a proper carry case.

Relax people, your N3DS will be safe. Although i still recommend a screen protector for the touch screen at least as those things still scratch unless you are a god at keeping it surgically clean.

Any reports yet if Pokemon ORAS is optimised for the N3DS? Especially asking because of the frame rate issues in 3D.
Getting mine for Christmas. It's gonna be a long wait (luckily not as long as official EU/US launch :D)

Shancake

I'm really not liking the new dock. When lifting it off you need to hold the unit down. Also, you can't just drop the 3DS onto it, need to push it down hard to start charging. Also, was I the only one that would occasionally use my 3DS whilst on the dock?

Yrael

Any reports yet if Pokemon ORAS is optimised for the N3DS? Especially asking because of the frame rate issues in 3D.
Getting mine for Christmas. It's gonna be a long wait (luckily not as long as official EU/US launch :D)

Just tried playing Alpha Sapphire on the new 3DS - there is still a frame rate slowdown in 3D, I'm afraid.

Edit: Though actually, it's not as bad as I remember X/Y being.

ZeroX03

Banned

No frame rate improvements, personally played it.

Rich!

Tracking update: My New Nintendo 3DS XL is in Southampton!

Does anyone know if DHL Express delivers on Saturdays? Because if so, I will get it tomorrow. If not, it'll be Monday.

There is no problem just people freaking out over nothing, the only time those screens will ever touch is if you push them together and squash the rubber.

Putting your pocketable handheld, designed to be used on the go, in your pocket causes the screen to permanently scratch. How is that not a problem or nothing?

I have an original launch 3DS, a 3DS LL & a N3DS the only model that has ever had a problem was the original launch model, neither of my others have had any marks on the screens and i have already played the N3DS extensively for quite a few weeks now the screen is as pristine as it was when it was brand new, just don't jam the thing in your pocket and use a proper carry case.

Cool. I've had 2 original models and an XL and ALL of them have had the scratching issue.
The fact it has not been a problem for you personally does not mean it is not a problem.

The bumpers on this new unit look the same as the old XL which means it will begin to scratch in time.
This gradually occurs so it's no surprise hardly anybody has had it happen yet, it's too early. It will happen eventually.

Top Bottom