• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS AUS/NZ Launch |OT| Featuring Thieving European Importers

Rich!

ic6Eg4D2lE9Hp.png

After 125 years of receiving terrible service, 50hz PAL releases, delayed games, cancelled games, banned games and having a customer service center without an email address all whilst living in a country where everything wants to kill you, Nintendo have finally shown some compassion to Australian and New Zealand fans with the release of the New Nintendo 3DS - which is having its english language debut in the region months before anywhere else in the world.

So, what is the New Nintendo 3DS? You already know, but this is an OT, so I’ll explain anyway:

ibwtPZkQCmgV2n.png

The New Nintendo 3DS is the first major redesign of the standard size model (as well as the XL). Whilst the New 3DS XL has the same size screen as the standard 3DS XL and roughly the same dimensions, the standard New Nintendo 3DS has a larger screen (3.88 inches) than the original 3DS (3.53 inches) and a slightly larger form factor. In addition to the exterior of both consoles being redesigned for the better, the consoles also have a number of significant benefits:

• Improved 3D effect
  • NFC sensor built under the touchscreen for Amiibo support
  • A second stick/nub (C-Stick) and two new shoulder buttons (ZL and ZR)
  • Upgraded specs, including more RAM for better performance and faster loading of games and menus.
  • Enhanced and exclusive titles that make use of these extra specs, such as the web browser, Monster Hunter 4G and Xenoblade
  • Switchable faceplates for personalization (NOT available on the XL model)

Full specifications for both models can be found here.

The most significant upgrade there is of course the improved 3D effect which has received huge praise since the Japanese launch. Using the new IR tracking sensor above the top screen, the console tracks where you are looking and adjusts the 3D angle automatically. This results in a 3D effect that can be seen from any angle with no sweet spot, and even gyro controls work with it!

iP2M9e1YTQMEP.png

Three SKUs will be launched today.

The standard White New Nintendo 3DS:

i5tAUwJ9b0nx.png
idcdqlOToE5Tr.png

Suggested retail price AU$219.95

The Metallic Black New Nintendo 3DS XL, and the Metallic Blue New Nintendo 3DS XL:

iZtYo1bkUfnDE.png
i8OFewxl8Epe2.png

ibpykCT2TNEy1G.png

Suggested retail price AU$249.95

The black standard model is currently a japan exclusive.

i9L2Oh77A7a2q.png

Because it is a new product line, there are of course a shitload of new accessories.

FACEPLATES

One of the main additions to the standard New Nintendo 3DS (not the XL) is the addition of changeable faceplates for the top and bottom outer sides of the console. Not dissimilar to what was offered for the Game Boy Micro, faceplates can give your console a personalized look. The console actually comes in the box with the faceplates unattached - this instantly gives the buyer an idea of what they are and how to install them.

To install them, you simply snap the top one into place. You can use the nifty new stylus design to simply pry it off to swap with another design. For the lower faceplate, you need to use a screwdriver (phillips #00 will do. The Micro SD port is under this too).

There will be 20 faceplates available for purchase at launch. The 19 shown above retail for AUD$17.95 and NZD$24.99. The only exception is this one:

i0KSoi1izdlvu.jpg

...which is AUD$39.95 for seemingly no reason whatsoever. Maybe it really is made of wood! Also, bear in mind that faceplates are universal. Any released in Japan will also fit your PAL console.

AC ADAPTERS

As expected, neither models come with an AC adapter. You will have to either use an existing one or buy the charger separately (RRP AUD$14.95, NZD$19.99). There will also be two docks available at launch (one for each model). Be aware that these do not come with an AC adapter either!

i8LFwFJeSx6bk.png
id5pTvNwWcqli.png

Both size docks retail for AUD$14.95, NZD$19.99.

The console comes with a 4GB Micro SD installed but it does not take standard SD, so you may need to buy a larger size Micro SD to house all your eshop stuff. There are other accessories available such as cases and screen protectors, but they’re all boring and shit so lets move on.

ila3otTSjp0Ui.png

Vooks.net has a comprehensive list of current prices for Australia. Prices range from $199.99-$219.99 for the standard model, and $229-$250 for the XL.

As for New Zealand, there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of deals around. If anyone sees any deals available, let me know and I will update this. Until then, it's just the usual places such as EB Games and JB HiFi. Mightyape have the console for $279.99.

iGbruR82XNpIx.png

Now, onto the filthy importers such as myself. Why wait months until a western release of the New 3DS when you can import one now? The AUS/NZ model is the same region as UK/Europe and is confirmed as compatible with all UK/EU games and NNIDs. Once you turn the console on for the first time, simply set your country and off you go. Amazing! There’s no site with a handy list of deals, so I’ll just list them here:

PLAY-ASIA

N3DS XL METALLIC BLACK
N3DS XL BLUE
£166
STANDARD N3DS WHITE
£140

365GAMES (UK BASED - DO NOT SHIP OUTSIDE THE UK)

NEW 3DS XL BLUE
£169.99
NEW 3DS STANDARD WHITE

£152.99

Star Games (Belgium)
NEW 3DS XL BLUE
249€
NEW 3DS XL BLACK
249€
NEW 3DS STANDARD WHITE
199€

With Play Asia, you will get the console sooner and cheaper - but you run the risk of getting caught by customs. With 365Games, you have no chance of any extra charges as they ship from the UK - but they will not dispatch until the 28th (as they need to get their stock from australia first). It’s a no brainer - why wait until a date next year when you can get a console that works with all of your games RIGHT NOW? Hell yeah!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that's it! Enjoy your new consoles, and post your impressions here!

Yazuka

Great thread!
Thanks about the head up about importing one.

EDIT: Okay? What the hell.. Tried adding the normal white N3DS to the cart, just to check the total sum.
And I got this message. "New Nintendo 3DS Handheld Console White is currently banned in your country".
I live in Sweden BTW.

Rich!

EDIT: Okay? What the hell.. Tried adding the normal white N3DS to the cart, just to check the total sum.
And I got this message. "New Nintendo 3DS Handheld Console White is currently banned in your country".
I live in Sweden BTW.

As stated in the OP, 365games only ship to the UK. You're going to have to use Play-Asia.

Yazuka

As stated in the OP, 365games only ship to the UK. You're going to have to use Play-Asia.

Goddammit. Need glasses, got a bit hyped.
IF Play-Asia is my only choice, then I don't have a choice. I've always gotten stuff caught in customs from them. Guess I'll just have to wait patiently then and hope they'll release the black normal N3DS here..

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Amazing thread. One thing I want to know (but haven't seen mentioned anywhere), is whether the faceplates have a matching 3DS Theme Shop code included. I thought I read this would be the case, but I want to know if it still is.

Rich!

Amazing thread. One thing I want to know (but haven't seen mentioned anywhere), is whether the faceplates have a matching 3DS Theme Shop code included. I thought I read this would be the case, but I want to know if it still is.

I have to say I haven't heard anything like that. I would say no, but I may be wrong.

Anyhow...my console is on its way, if all goes well, I'll have it in my hands here in England on Friday or Saturday! (it's wednesday here right now!)

Yazuka

Looking forward to you lucky folks who get it, have to say about the new one. and you have to post pictures! Sexy pictures that'll make all of more jealous than we already are.

MilkLizard

Great OT. Can't wait for my black XL.

IF Play-Asia is my only choice, then I don't have a choice. I've always gotten stuff caught in customs from them. Guess I'll just have to wait patiently then and hope they'll release the black normal N3DS here..

I ordered mine here (www.mightyape.com.au) and they shipped yesterday. So maybe it's worth a shot.

MilkLizard

So did I - and yeah, mine was shipped yesterday too lol

but the issue is that they are now declining all new orders to anyone outside of Australia/NZ. We were just lucky.

Oh I did not know that. That's unfortunate. Seems to be a good shop. I wonder how many orders they got from EU?

Resilient

Nice thread rich, you filthy theiving bastard!

I'm picking mine up tonight in about 17 hours. I will post pics. Multiple pics!

xxczx

thieving European reporting in. Risking it with play-asia, hoping I don't get caught by customs. It's a dumb question but this is being shipped from AUS right? Not AUS > China > UK?

I'm excited to get this, I had a launch 3DS and gave it away to a friend a couple months later. First choice games, Bravely Default and Animal Crossing! Here's to Nintendo!

So... it's more like thieving Brits then.

kubus

Amazing thread! Good job rich! :D

Enjoy the New 3DS Australia and New Zealand! It's a beautiful device <3

Unfortunately there are no theme codes included in the faceplates (I assume they use the same packaging all over the world as the faceplates I got from Japan included instructions in multiple languages).

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Amazing thread! Good job rich! :D

Enjoy the New 3DS Australia and New Zealand! It's a beautiful device <3

Unfortunately there are no theme codes included in the faceplates (I assume they use the same packaging all over the world as the faceplates I got from Japan included instructions in multiple languages).

Thanks for clarifying!

Mush

Should be grabbing my XL tonight (if not, early tomorrow) along with Alpha Sapphire.

Will post photos and whatnot for y'all if I do end up getting it tonight.

Tattooth

So did I - and yeah, mine was shipped yesterday too lol

but the issue is that they are now declining all new orders to anyone outside of Australia/NZ. We were just lucky.

Ah, so that is why no one is recommending them now. I ordered from them and got a bit scared since no one mentioned them. Anyway, mine shipped today. Can't wait!

Rich!

Ah, so that is why no one is recommending them now. I ordered from them and got a bit scared since no one mentioned them. Anyway, mine shipped today. Can't wait!

Yeah, mightyape have been amazing so far.

Shipped out my console yesterday (19th at 2pm in NZ time) so theres an actual real chance of me getting it here in the UK on Friday or Saturday, which would be absolutely incredible. Importing a console from the other side of the world and still getting it on launch day (well, the 21st here in the UK at least) would be insane.

I expect it to turn up early next week though realistically.

Mistle

Getting up early tomorrow to go get the Big W bundle. Pretty excited, especially as I've been using my old original 3DS after selling my XL in preparation. The upgrade is going to feel massive.

coughlanio

I don't know whether to go for a regular or XL model.

I'm not a fan of the glossy XL (hate glossy handhelds) but it's an XL, so it has the bigger screen going for it. I have an 'old' XL, so should I go for a regular n3DS and possible regret it when exclusive games come out, or just put up with the gloss, and go XL?

Yrael

I don't know whether to go for a regular or XL model.

I'm not a fan of the glossy XL (hate glossy handhelds) but it's an XL, so it has the bigger screen going for it. I have an 'old' XL, so should I go for a regular n3DS and possible regret it when exclusive games come out, or just put up with the gloss, and go XL?

Get a regular n3DS
and then a n3DS XL later when you see a special edition that takes your fancy.

Rich!

Just got my tracking number from Mightyape! Had to email them to get it. My shipment left NZ at around 7pm nz time on the 19th and is going to be in London by end of today (20th)

Turns out it is DHL Express after all:

ibcbAuHJWRg3TI.png

Please don't get caught by customs!!

My local EB is doing a midnight launch for Pokemon (and some other, less important game :p) so I'm going along to pick up my blue New 3DS XL as well. :D

Should have it in about 9 hours. :D

Yrael

This comparison of pixel densities of the 3DS top screens was just posted on Whirlpool for those interested (PPI = pixels per inch):

DS Lite: 102 PPI
O3DS: 132 PPI
O3DS XL: 95 PPI
N3DS XL: 95 PPI
N3DS: 120 PPI

(PSP: 128 PPI
Vita: 220 PPI
iPhone 6: 325 PPI
Nexus 5: 445 PPI
Galaxy Note 4: 515 PPI)

Yrael

My apologies for the double post, but I hadn't seen this posted yet - a comprehensive comparison of the new 3DS and new 3DS XL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wlUnR8DfDU

He notes that the XL looks like it has a warmer, richer screen with better contrast...but I'm not sure this means much, given that there can be substantial variations in screen warmth between individual models (I ended up returning the first 3DS XL I ever bought the next day because the screen was so yellow).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Damn, the New 3DS looks so fucking sexy. The SNES coloured buttons are a delight. Clean, artistic yet playful. If it werent for the fact that I just blew my wallet at getting a new phone and thus cannot afford the N3DS, I'd be jealous as fuuuuck.

Mistle

Hope I didn't have to preorder this (or Smash U, for that matter >_>)

I mean, I'll be at Big W as soon as they open, so I should be ok.
EDIT: Some guy posted this on Whirlpool:

"I just went to Big W at QV and asked how much stock they were getting and the guy said 7 of each colour. No preorders, first come, first served."

Looks like I'll be there literally at opening! Not at QV though, I'll scope out a less likely Big W..

Yrael said:
He notes that the XL looks like it has a warmer, richer screen with better contrast...but I'm not sure this means much, given that there can be substantial variations in screen warmth between individual models (I ended up returning the first 3DS XL I ever bought the next day because the screen was so yellow).
When I went from the original 3DS to the XL, I noticed these changes also. Like, the exact changes. I prefer warm screens also (as long as they're "warm" and not literally yellow, but tbh I've yet to see one that bad). As long as both screens match. My current XL has a cooler bottom screen which annoys me from time to time.

I battled a bit with the decision, but I feel the bigger screens of the XL outweigh any other positive of the standard model. Especially as we're not getting the black version!

In an ideal world, I'd be getting a New 3DS XL Black Matte with coloured buttons tomorrow. But the current blue one looks very sleek so I'm still happy.

lupinko

thieving European reporting in. Risking it with play-asia, hoping I don't get caught by customs. It's a dumb question but this is being shipped from AUS right? Not AUS > China > UK?

I'm excited to get this, I had a launch 3DS and gave it away to a friend a couple months later. First choice games, Bravely Default and Animal Crossing! Here's to Nintendo!

If buying from playasia it's always coming from HK. Play asia gets import from country X to send to destination country Y.

Top Bottom