• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS AUS/NZ Launch |OT| Featuring Thieving European Importers

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah ebgames price matched my preorder with no hassle.

BTW I really do want to emphasize how solid this thing feels. It feels DENSE.

Tommy DJ

I'm surprised that the New 3DS XL has better viewing angles than the old one. The PPI still blows but the New 3DS XL seems to have better image quality IMHO.

I bought one (from Target, $229)! A big reason being to go from a normal 3DS to an XL, as the original wasn't entirely comfortable to hold.

It's disappointing to need to get a screwdriver out to put in a higher-capacity micro SD card.

ZeroX03

Banned
Question for those who have one, Does the improved 3D fix the ghosting issues with dark backgrounds?

I'll throw in Luigi's Mansion now, that game had terrible ghosting (no pun intended, the gameplay ghosting was fantastic).

Man I think i'm regretting the purchase of the regular after seeing all these glorious XL shots.

You won't regret it so much when their XLs are covered in fingerprints and your regular is fine. :)

BTW I really do want to emphasize how solid this thing feels. It feels DENSE.

This might be their best handheld yet. Not exactly sold on the C-Stick, but the construction, improved 3D and design are all top notch. Nintendo's stuff has always been rugged, but it hasn't always felt that way.

I'll throw in Luigi's Mansion now, that game had terrible ghosting (no pun intended, the gameplay ghosting was fantastic).

You won't regret it so much when their XLs are covered in fingerprints and your regular is fine. :)

This might be their best handheld yet. Not exactly sold on the C-Stick, but the construction, improved 3D and design are all top notch. Nintendo's stuff has always been rugged, but it hasn't always felt that way.

Thanks, really that's my biggest question with this thing.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
BTW, how do I set monster hunter 3g to use the nub?

Go to the settings and try and turn on the Circle Pad Pro controls.

And Mistle those are fucking nice pictures, what camera + setup you use there?

ZeroX03

Banned
Thanks, really that's my biggest question with this thing.

Okay I tried Luigi's Mansion, EOIV and SMTIV. The ghosting is still there, BUT because of the super stable 3D it's a lot less noticeable. My problem with ghosting is that when the 3D effect broke it instantly became very noticeable. As the 3D doesn't break anymore the ghosting tends to fade away as you play. It's an improvement.

Okay I tried Luigi's Mansion, EOIV and SMTIV. The ghosting is still there, BUT because of the super stable 3D it's a lot less noticeable. My problem with ghosting is that when the 3D effect broke it instantly became very noticeable. As the 3D doesn't break anymore the ghosting tends to fade away as you play. It's an improvement.

Well that's something, thanks man!

Yrael

Hmmm, I've fully charged my n3DS now and turned it on...the screen's definitely just a little yellower/warmer than that of my old 3DS. Bottom screen seems darker too.

Eh, not really a huge difference though. The 3D is nice!

Hmmm, I've fully charged my n3DS now and turned it on...the screen's definitely just a little yellower/warmer than that of my old 3DS. Bottom screen seems darker too.

Eh, not really a huge difference though. The 3D is nice!
Are the power saving and brightness settings the same? The settings are in the top left corner of the bottom screen at the main menu.

Mistle

And Mistle those are fucking nice pictures, what camera + setup you use there?
Thanks! It's a 50mm equivalent lens on a Fuji mirrorless (x-e2). Just got it about a week ago and wanted to try it out! I had the aperture wide open to get the shallow depth of field, plus got lucky with the windows natural lighting.

Caramello

I caved.. Bought the New 3DS XL in black.

Big W had run out of Sticker Star so they gave me Alpha Sapphire for 1 whole cent!

The improved 3D is staggering, I had hoped Nintendo would ditch it for their next handheld but not any more!

Rubixcuba

Banned
I caved.. Bought the New 3DS XL in black.

Big W had run out of Sticker Star so they gave me Alpha Sapphire for 1 whole cent!

The improved 3D is staggering, I had hoped Nintendo would ditch it for their next handheld but not any more!

Paper Mario is so disappointing from what I played earlier today :(

Caramello

whaaaat!

lucky, haha. didn't think there'd be any chance of a game swap, even after stock was gone.

I know, I couldn't believe it! The lady serving me was so apologetic about it and I couldn't help but laugh!

Edit: They had also ran out of chargers, apparently they only received 8 of them. So I have to go back and get one when they come in. I have my launch 3DS charger though so I didn't mind.

Paper Mario is so disappointing from what I played earlier today :(

Yeah as a massive TTYD fan, I was very disappointed with the reviews of Sticker Star. Had never planned on buying it.

ZeroX03

Banned
I've always wanted to try Sticker Star. Time to grab a cheap copy from Gumtree thanks to Big W unloading all their stock.

Surprised how off white the colour of the standard 3ds is. Not sure I like it...

Same. It's almost like a whitish brown.

s0GRaS5.jpg

Melon Husk

It really is like bone/natural white. I wouldn't sweat over it, that's why you have cover plates. Hoping to find No. 37 myself.

Symtendo

60 seconds remaining until I can confirm, without doubt, that you are able to transfer from a UK system to an Aus New 3DS...

Ban Puncher

Transfarring from 3DS XL to New 3DS now.

These Pikmin have been at it now for 15 minutes and haven't even finished half of the 25% milestone. Lazy sods.

Symtendo

Transfarring from 3DS XL to New 3DS now.

These Pikmin have been at it now for 15 minutes and haven't even finished half of the 25% milestone. Lazy sods.

Mine was super quick (the Pikmin part), must have been about 15 minutes.

100% can confirm EU digital transfer! We knew anyway but now it's on there I'm super chuffed.

Also, is there no way of attaching a wrist strap?

Symphonic

Any word on the raised bottom screen scratching the upper screen like the older models?

Please tell me they fixed that. No excuses this time.

Rich!

Any word on the raised bottom screen scratching the upper screen like the older models?

They haven't fixed it. Someone in the JP thread has already noticed marks.

Using a screen protector is the best option unfortunately.

kubus

They haven't fixed it. Someone in the JP thread has already noticed marks.

Using a screen protector is the best option unfortunately.
I really can't see how it could make marks on the screen. So far I've only seen reports that it was fixed, with that post in the JP thread being the only exception.

I used my New 3DS without a screen protector for over a week and didn't notice any marks on the top screen. There are no sharp edges on the bottom screen anymore that could cause damage and the top screen has soft nubs attached to it to make sure the screens won't touch when you close the system.

I used to carry my 3DS around with a micro fiber cloth between the screens all the time because of that stupid screen-scratching issue but I feel that the New 3DS is perfectly safe now.

TheChaos0

I really can't see how it could make marks on the screen. So far I've only seen reports that it was fixed, with that post in the JP thread being the only exception.

I used my New 3DS without a screen protector for over a week and didn't notice any marks on the top screen. There are no sharp edges on the bottom screen anymore that could cause damage and the top screen has soft nubs attached to it to make sure the screens won't touch when you close the system.

I used to carry my 3DS around with a micro fiber cloth between the screens all the time because of that stupid screen-scratching issue but I feel that the New 3DS is perfectly safe now.

Edit: ok after some googling I see more reports that the issue hasn't been resolved. Maybe I got lucky and my N3DS doesn't have this issue or something :/.

I guess, I'll have to get a screen protector afterall.

Picked mine up this morning, finally got around to transferring various things to it and is ready to go.

One thing, the stylus on the standard model, wow its hot garbage. Just way too thin and flimsy feeling and not long enough. I really wish they had gone back to the telescoping design from the OG 3DS

ramyeon

I'm gonna go against the majority and say I'm really glad I got the regular model and not the XL. Besides the fact that I just can't stand glossy surfaces and fingerprints, the regular model looks really slick. I actually like it with the default off-white cover plates too. I was worried about the tone of white it is (More like an Ivory than anything really) since I love my white XL, but it looks great. Charging it before I do the transfer of my licences and use it. Feels like a really good size though.

As for screens getting scratched... never had the issue even with my XL, so I can't see it being a problem this time either.

kubus

I guess, I'll have to get a screen protector afterall.
I edited out my edit again because the "reports" I was seeing was apparently only one person who claimed the issue was back on GameFAQs and then failed to show proof, after which another N3DS owner claimed that the issue has been resolved because she didn't experience the screen-scratching anymore either. So it's two claims for and two claims against now :p. But I haven't seen any pictures of the scratches yet.

It's probably better to get a screen protector just to be safe but it's definitely not as bad as the OG 3DS.

PrawnyNZ

I reckon they fixed it.
Got my metallic blue XL today, my first XL which is awesome.

There are a couple of nubs on the top part that cause separation when the system is shut. You can look at it side on when shut and see space between the screen, essentially a 3DS thigh gap.

Top Bottom