• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS AUS/NZ Launch |OT| Featuring Thieving European Importers

Hasney

Thanks, Hasney; i think i will import from Dubai in that case.

Last questionc, a dumb one:

4) do i specifically need a PAL SD card for memory for compatibility?

No such thing luckily! MicroSDs don't have a region code

So when this finally comes to the US, I'm planning on getting one. When I do, I want to give my old 3ds to a friend. So I'm hoping there is a method in place to switch my account over to the new one and sort of "factory reset" the old? I have a 32 gig card in there, so I'm guessing I can just pop that into the new one after doing whatever and have all my data? And is there anything saved directly on the 3ds and not the SD card that I'd have to worry about?

Yeah, the transfer gets done and afterwards, the original is reset to factory settings.

Fredescu

I keep accidently turning my XL off by bumping the power button the bottom. The annoying thing is, when it takes you to the screen asking you if you want to standby or power off, it's already shutdown the software so I lose whatever progress I'd made. Loving the device otherwise, but this is getting annoying.

Rich!

I keep accidently turning my XL off by bumping the power button the bottom. The annoying thing is, when it takes you to the screen asking you if you want to standby or power off, it's already shutdown the software so I lose whatever progress I'd made. Loving the device otherwise, but this is getting annoying.

I've never done that once. I would actually go as far to say that the N3DS XL's power button is slightly difficult for me to press.

H3xum

Wonder/Hope GameStop has a trade in trade up deal again so I can swoop one of these foxy thangs here in the states.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
waiting my ambassador console
how was the general consensus so far on the new system?
best part, worst part, overview?

Hasney

If you like the old 3DS models, then sound and 3D has now become acceptable! You'll hate the c-stick until you use it in a game. It feels weird, but once you see how sensitive it is, it's fantastic.

Rich!

I only have a New XL, but here is my list:

best parts:

- near flawless 3D with no sweet spot
- much improved sound, especially on the XL model
- screen contrast is improved
- ergonomics are far better
- no more shitty home/start/select buttons
- buttons are clicky and responsive now just like on the DSi/phat DS
- the web browser is amazing, just as good as the Wii U one
- system menu is quick. Smash Bros loads in seconds and does not need a reboot upon exiting.
- circle pad pro is now integrated in the console and all games that use it are playable with the c stick and extra shoulder buttons on the New 3DS
- C stick is great once you get used to it

bad parts:

- c stick is fucking weird until you get used to it

NZerker12

I purchased my New 3DS XL from 365games back in December and I have to say it is far superior to the previous versions. The eshop and system start up times are a lot faster and the 3d works a lot better as well.

The c-stick is weird, at first I thought you could move it until I saw that it is touch sensitive. Still not to sure about it.

If you like the old 3DS models, then sound and 3D has now become acceptable! You'll hate the c-stick until you use it in a game. It feels weird, but once you see how sensitive it is, it's fantastic.
I haven't had a good experience with my c-nub thing. I tried playing RE:Revelations with it and found the circle pad pro to be way better. It was borderline unplayable with the c-nub, I couldn't hit anything properly.

Hasney

I haven't had a good experience with my c-nub thing. I tried playing RE:Revelations with it and found the circle pad pro to be way better. It was borderline unplayable with the c-nub, I couldn't hit anything properly.

It's fantastic on Smash and OK with Monster Hunter. I'll wait until MH4U before I fully judge it though since it was designed with it in mind.

Rich!

I haven't played with it yet, but the c-stick barely moves. I had a quick look at the two I got to give out as gifts and it feels like the C-stick is pointless.

I fully disagree. It's got a huge range, and I was able to play through resi revelations with it perfectly.

Once you realize what amount of pressure you need to use (barely any), it just clicks

Corgi

Banned

best parts:

- system menu is quick. Smash Bros loads in seconds and does not need a reboot upon exiting.
- circle pad pro is now integrated in the console and all games that use it are playable with the c stick and extra shoulder buttons on the New 3DS

bad parts:

Ergonomics change much from old xl?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

best parts:

bad parts:

thank you and to hasney!
very good to know!

D.Lo

Yeah the C-stick is hard to get to start with, but is excellent once you work it out. Rest Revelation is fantastic with it.

I fully disagree. It's got a huge range, and I was able to play through resi revelations with it perfectly.

Once you realize what amount of pressure you need to use (barely any), it just clicks
I've not used it in a game yet, so I trust you're right. It jist doesn't feel like most buttons (press) or analogue sticks do on controllers.

Rich!

I've not used it in a game yet, so I trust you're right. It jist doesn't feel like most buttons (press) or analogue sticks do on controllers.

For sure. It's odd as all hell.

But it's very responsive once you work out that you barely have to move your thumb at all. Going to be great for Xenoblade!

Vuze

I've also just quickly tested the C-Stick with MH3U and it sure is a weird ... thing. Guess I'll force myself into learning to use it with MH4U, I will simply remove the Touchscreen-D-Pad so I'll HAVE to use it for the camera controls lol

Lasdrub

I've just finished reading through the full thread and I wanted to say thank you to those who gave impressions, help, and posted pictures.

I have a 3DS XL and it is very uncomfortable to use for certain games. I'm glad to hear that the N3DS is comfortable and that it seems to be an improvement in comfort for some of those switching from an XL to the smaller size of the N3DS for the most part. I think the main issue I have is the size and weight of the XL.

I hope we get an announcement for a U.S. Release soon.

I've just finished reading through the full thread and I wanted to say thank you to those who gave impressions, help, and posted pictures.

I have a 3DS XL and it is very uncomfortable to use for certain games. I'm glad to hear that the N3DS is comfortable and that it seems to be an improvement in comfort for some of those switching from an XL to the smaller size of the N3DS for the most part. I think the main issue I have is the size and weight of the XL.

I hope we get an announcement for a U.S. Release soon.

I'd like to thank everyone as well. It sucks that the US didn't get this system along with you guys, but it's been awesome seeing the pictures, watching the videos, and generally just hearing your thoughts on the new systems. Can't wait to start my faceplate collection!

jaosobno

I have a 3DS XL and it is very uncomfortable to use for certain games. I'm glad to hear that the N3DS is comfortable and that it seems to be an improvement in comfort for some of those switching from an XL to the smaller size of the N3DS for the most part.

Why is XL less comfortable to use in certain games, and why is the regular N3DS an improvement in comfort? Seriously, I'm trying to convince myself to go with regular.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
My XL has finally arrived. Ordered on 3 Dec from eBay. Can you bloody believe it
rsz_20150113_153830.jpg

Still, super happy it's finally in my hands. I'm ready to join you filthy criminals YAY!

Chopper

My Ambassador 3DS is here, and I am thoroughly enjoying how beautiful and brilliant it is.

But I need to keep it that way. I need to protect it! Are there any cases out and about for it yet?

kubus

My Ambassador 3DS is here, and I am thoroughly enjoying how beautiful and brilliant it is.

But I need to keep it that way. I need to protect it! Are there any cases out and about for it yet?
You can buy one from Hori at Nippon-Yasan.

I posted about it in this thread, there's a couple of pics and my impressions in there. Really recommend that one. Nin-Nin sells the same case I think, and they also offer it in red and blue. (I was wrong, they don't have it. Amazon.co.jp does have it in blue and red though (I got mine from there))

weekev

Banned

I had a look and couldnt see any. My XL case is too big and it moves about inside so I guess we will be waiting on release date. Agree though the Ambassador one is beautiful.

Rich!

Does anyone know if the so called "executive case" from Nintendo for the old 3DS will fit the n3DS?

This one:

CaseL.jpg

Nope. It wont.

I have one of those and its a damn tight fit even for the OG. Not a chance.

Being part of the New XL master race meant I just bought an old XL case for a couple of quid and it fit fine. smugclarkson.gif

So I'm setting up my new 3DS from AUS, and somehow it wont connect to the eshop. I get the wrong region error.

Do I have to set the region to AUS? I'm in Europe btw.

Hasney

So I'm setting up my new 3DS from AUS, and somehow it wont connect to the eshop. I get the wrong region error.

Do I have to set the region to AUS? I'm in Europe btw.

Some people changed it to UK, entered the eShop and then back to their own store again and it worked fine after. Not sure what the cause of that was.

Or what Rich said, easier to try first.

I'd love to buy a clean cover that I could mod myself. And really personalize the N3DS.

If you get the white one, you could just design that one? Thats what i plan to do, at the moment mines just sitting in a drawer as using the Pokemon AS/OR one now and the kirby and smash ones will be next :)

Yazuka

If you get the white one, you could just design that one? Thats what i plan to do, at the moment mines just sitting in a drawer as using the Pokemon AS/OR one now and the kirby and smash ones will be next :)

Yeah, I'd probably do something like that. Or wait until one of the covers goes down in price and mod repaint that one. We'll see what comes first, I need to get something that matches the black N3DS that's the one I'm getting. =)

Top Bottom