• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Vinci said:
If they can make money on it, 3rd parties should support anything and everything that they can. This generation has been hard on most of them.

Tempting though the 3DS must be to develop for, I think this generation has been a cautionary tale about putting all your eggs in one basket. The smart move would be to spread your efforts around early on, possibly focussing more when there's a more clear winner.

After all, six years ago, the PSP was the surest of sure things...

Vinci

Danish
apana said:
Nope the GC is nintendo's lowest point creatively, my friend owned one and while I loved metroid prime, a lot of the other stuff was just meh. Who's idea was it to give Mario a water pack?:lol

Sunshine was far more fun than Mario 64 ever was.

Yeah, I went there.

antonz

mclem said:
Tempting though the 3DS must be to develop for, I think this generation has been a cautionary tale about putting all your eggs in one basket. The smart move would be to spread your efforts around early on, possibly focussing more when there's a more clear winner.

After all, six years ago, the PSP was the surest of sure things...

I think the 3DS has a nice advantage though and we see that with Capcom. They can develop MT games for consoles that due to engine compatability can be brought to the 3DS as well. Tweaks will be needed for games and such but the System offers what the Wii cant in some regards

apana

Willy105 said:
Giving Mario a water pack is pretty creative though. It's not something you simply think off.

I didnt actually dislike the water pack all that much, it was just like a wtf moment of confusion for me. I was genuinely curious about whose idea it was.

ILikeFeet

Banned
have we reached that point again? lock this shit up son!

I haven't been following everything since I had college stuff to do. so I'll just say this: since western developers seems to be into technology, I think we will see some good western support

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Apparently, the CPUs will sucks at physics calculations. Is it because of the low clock speed or the cpu architecture itself?

ElFly

If Sunshine had the same amount of levels that 64, it would be the better game.

All the repetition and collectathon of blue coins ruined the game.

Vic said:
Apparently, the CPUs will sucks at physics calculations. Is it because of the low clock speed or the cpu architecture itself?

Uhhh, no one can possibly know that based on the current rumors.

ILikeFeet said:
some new shit:

interview with Eternal Eden creator, Elder Prince. still in the planning phase. prolly will have to shop around for a publisher to get a dev kit and get this game out

They could probably get it on to 3DSWare pretty easy.

Gravijah

ElFly said:
If Sunshine had the same amount of levels that 64, it would be the better game.

All the repetition and collectathon of blue coins ruined the game.

Stupid red coin shit became stupid blue coin shit which became the EVEN WORSE PURPLE COINS.

Boney said:
What an enthusiastic guy, I wish the best of luck to him. Can anybody fill me in on Eternal Eden?

Puzzle/RPG made with the RPGMaker.
First retail game that was made with that engine as far as I know.

Vinci said:
Sunshine was far more fun than Mario 64 ever was.

Yeah, I went there.
i agree. Sunshine's only flaw is that it isn't as innovative as Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy.

that doesn't make it any less fun though and the music is awesome.

i bet you can hear the Delphino hub theme right now...

*reads through thread*

Wait there are people who actually liked the Gamecube?

That was like by far Nintendo's worst console...ever. Even when you compare all of their previous consoles to "today's standards".

Ezduo

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
*reads through thread*

That was like by far Nintendo's worst console...ever.
Still pretty good by console standards.

Flying_Phoenix said:
*reads through thread*

That was like by far Nintendo's worst console...ever.

1. Virtual Boy
2. Despite the lack of a lot of third party games, it had a LOT of great first party games that far outclassed the other systems.
3. It was the most well designed system ever.

Sipowicz

Banned
i thought the N64 and gamecube were both crap. the nintendo 64 had like 12 games altogether, although most were very good

the gamecube suffered from the lack of good overall games but third party support actually existed for it in rudimentary form

as for ubisoft on ds, one thing i hope is that the bring back the old rainbow six games like on pc where you could draw your path and give commands to your team at different points

AceBandage said:
1. Virtual Boy
2. Despite the lack of a lot of third party games, it had a LOT of great first party games that far outclassed the other systems.
3. It was the most well designed system ever.
#1 Not a console. I had one though. Gets far too much hate. Teleroboxer and Mario Tennis were awesome.

#2 And what Nintendo console hasn't? Only SEGA could give them competition and they haven't been competitive on that front since 1994. Well there was the Dreamcast, but sadly tanked.

#3 Hardware doesn't mean shit without software.

#4 I think I'm going to stop because I'm probably pissing charlequin off now

Gravijah

Flying_Phoenix said:
#1 Not a console. I had one though. Gets far too much hate. Teleroboxer and Mario Tennis were awesome.

#2 And what Nintendo console hasn't? Only SEGA could give them competition and they haven't been competitive since 1994.

#3 Hardware doesn't mean shit without software.

#4 I think I'm going to stop because I'm probably pissing charlequin off now

FWIW, I think the system I own the most games on is the GC. Maybe the PS2 nowadays.

plagiarize said:

I only speak in facts.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Man God said:
No.

I still say it looks best on the GCN though, 720 XBOX mode be damned.
Yep. In progressive widescreen it looked un-freakin-believable. I remember to this day the evening when I first saw it on a fresh component cable + widescreen plasma TV setup. I felt a weird mix of exhilaration and rage - from the beauty I was seeing, and from knowing what nintendo did to the digital AVport, killing this beauty.

wrowa

I hope that after we've got more info about hardware and software on the 29th, 3DS threads finally stop to turn to shit after several pages :x

Hey guys, remember how 40 posts ago we were talking about the relative hardware designs of Nintendo consoles (y'know, the topic) and not whether the Gamecube was "good"? Let's get back to that!

lostinblue said:
And if I recall correctly the Wii retailer margin was more than the Arcade and a little under the X360 Pro. (makes sense, basically)

The normal console margin in the US is zero, though.

XPE said:
Then i seriously doubt that Nintendo sacrificed absolutely everything for BC.

what’s more likely to have happened because of the extremely poor sales of the gamecube Nintendo had less money to put into R&D and less money to put into hardware, so in order to make money off the hardware they stuck to low specs

They didn't go with the architecture they did because they had to cut costs; they went with it because their own internal teams were extremely familiar with that architecture and would be able to do great work with it right off the bat. (Backwards compatibility was probably a secondary, but not entirely insignificant, consideration after that.)

I think the proof of the pudding is in the tasting of the 3DS here: Nintendo broke away from what a lot of people had theorized and went with a chip that uses something much more similar to the usual shader pipeline, resulting in an unprecedented situation where the first third party games shown off for the 3DS actually look much better than the internal Nintendo games. To me, that's a tacit acknowledgement that the design choices made with the Wii were suboptimal.

brain_stew said:
I'll leave the explanation of vertex shaders to someone more qualified than me

I'm definitely not more qualified by any stretch of the imagination :lol but the short version is that vertex shaders are useful in creating deformation effects (cloth effects, certain animation effects, etc.) and "procedural geometry," and also are used in conjunction with pixel shaders to produce many advanced lighting effects, that is to say, they're super-important and not being able to do them sucks.

XPE

Now that i think about the gamecube, it was the 3rd party that were some of my favourate games on it, Resident evil Remake, RE4, tales of symphonia. Its was the nintendo game that let me down.

I guess it was hard after the N64 when nintendo made hit after hit.

ElFly

Flying_Phoenix said:
*reads through thread*

That was like by far Nintendo's worst console...ever. Even when you compare all of their previous consoles to "today's standards".

N64 or Virtual Boy. There's no question about this.

Yoshi256

Banned
Would be nice if the 3DS hits Europe this December, probably with low circulation, but then you just have to preorder it.
I hope I like the 3DS as much as the PSP back in 2005, it was really an amazing piece of hardware.
I'd like to see a Wave Race in 3D, please Nintendo.:D

dacuk

Flying_Phoenix said:
*reads through thread*

Metroid Prime alone justified my GameCube's purchase.
All the other great games I bought (Baten Kaitos, MGS:TS, Tales of Symphonia, WarioWare, etc.) were the icing on the cake.

ILikeFeet

Banned
a story and gamplay description via Wikipedia:

The player controls a child, Noah, who lives in a utopia called Eden. In Eden, all needs are provided for by Eden Tower and everyone lives eternally at their prime age. Noah wakes from a dream – the tutorial of the game – in time for the Princess's 900th birthday. Noah's friend Downey wants to present her with the best pie. He convinces Noah to take the forbidden Wisdom Fruit as an ingredient. The Princess eats the pie, turns into a monsters, and escapes through a mysterious gate. Storms begin to rage, Eden Tower's door shuts and the land's magic is negated: people begin to fall ill and grow old. Noah, Downey and Downey’s rival Jean pursue the Princess.

The game is presented in a top-down tile-based format typical of JRPGs. Enemies are only present in dungeons and appear as puffs of smoke on the field. Touching a puff of smoke starts a battle. Enemies do not respawn once they've been killed. Even after exiting and re-entering a dungeon, every enemy that has been killed stays dead for the duration of the game. An exclamation point will emerge above the player's head whenever he finds a hidden item. Every dungeon has a Treasure Room where good treasures and bonus EXP can be earned provided a condition is met, such as "kill all the monsters on this floor".

and a couple of reviews:

I wish him the best of luck

XPE

charlequin said:
They didn't go with the architecture they did because they had to cut costs; they went with it because their own internal teams were extremely familiar with that architecture and would be able to do great work with it right off the bat. (Backwards compatibility was probably a secondary, but not entirely insignificant, consideration after that.)

I think the proof of the pudding is in the tasting of the 3DS here: Nintendo broke away from what a lot of people had theorized and went with a chip that uses something much more similar to the usual shader pipeline, resulting in an unprecedented situation where the first third party games shown off for the 3DS actually look much better than the internal Nintendo games. To me, that's a tacit acknowledgement that the design choices made with the Wii were suboptimal.

I later said they went with this choice of hardware because of fear of failure, that if the wii went tits up they wouldn’t lose too much money.

I think this can be seen in the 3DS because they have a good chance of success because of the DS they have put better tech in the device, not just gpu but the 3D screen as well.

Owzers

48 page thread titled " New nintendo 3ds hardware info"

this info is no longer new

i want new info.

i want new info before tuesday Xo

Gravijah said:
Hm. It's basically a lock they'll show off the actual colors at the event, right?
the japanese ones. i really do not want to get suckered into important a 3DS.

my odds are 1/3. (imported a lite and DSi). but hey, you can't beat lime green DSi.

Gravijah

plagiarize said:
the japanese ones. i really do not want to get suckered into important a 3DS.

my odds are 1/3. (imported a lite and DSi). but hey, you can't beat lime green DSi.

Ah yeah, fuck me up the ass. We didn't get the good DSi colors at first. I'm pissed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom