• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Vitacat

Is the c stick actually supposed to move? Mine won't budge.

If you've not used that sort of control before it can take some getting used to. Personally I always disliked them, all the way back to having one on an ancient Toshiba laptop. But, for the games that use it, it's better than not having it IMO. Certainly works well enough as a look control in RPG's, maybe not so well in fast paced games though.

Basically, think of it as a weird touch control, and not really a "physical" stick. Once you get used to it it generally works well enough. Would've been so much nicer had they actually just put a second analog disc instead, but that might've needed more space etc.

Red

Been thinking about getting either a N3DS or N3DS XL. Just wondering what version was the preferred one?
Up to you. The XL sells more and has more of a presence in stores. I don't think the N3DS is sold by itself anymore. You'd have to get a bundle. The XL can be found on its own everywhere. I ended up getting a regular N3DS and I imported a wood backplate. I really like it. It might not sound like much, but having the full colored buttons makes a difference for me, and I love the wood finish.

Persona7

Banned
Yeah, the regular New 3DS bundle is discontinued. I am guessing they will bring it back eventually but a vast majority of them have TN screens.

schlynch

Can't find a 3DS OT so I will ask here.

I'm going to buy a N3DS XL soon and now there are two options.

NTSC-US or PAL model.

I'm living in Europe. I guess I'm going to buy most of my future games digital in the Eshop. Games I've been interested in are mostley (J)RPGs and Nintendos own games. So would you guys say I should go for a US model in regards of earlier releases and what the US-Eshop offers or would be EU better?

I saw the other day that the remake of the first EO is on sale for 9,99$ (down from 29,99$).
The retail version here costs still 40-60€.

gerudoman

My C Stick is apparently faulty, I'm having a hard time trying to make a full circle in the calibration screen, it can't go full down or right. Guess I'll have to contact Nintendo.

I'm sure it's been asked 100x but I have to ask for myself: is it worth the upgrade from the 3DSXL to the n3DSXL ? I am pretty interested in Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, I do however have a Wii U and could just download the eShop version. I've read online a lot about the n3DSXL and hear good things aside from the luck of the draw regarding IPS or TN screens. I've had a recent resurgence in my 3DS gaming time due to SMT IV and thinking if it's worth the upgrade.

My blue 3DSXL is in prime condition, no issues at all, and I looked on Amazon...I'd be able to get $101 as a trade in. I guess I'm trying to rationalize now :)

Just thinking if it's smart this close to the NX announcement and potential bundles during the holidays. I do have MH Generations already so that's kind of out of the window, and I dislike the custom 3DS paints that come with the bundles, I also love my matte blue 3DS XL, I hear the new one is back to gloss (gross!).

If I'm primarily interested in just Xenoblade 3D for the time being, is it still worth it? I guess it helps MH: Generations as well.

lupinko

This is actually really old, but about a year ago I had butterfingers and dropped my N3DS, luckily it only resulted in this minor scuff.

https://imgur.com/a/FSFLl

But I'm totally OCD and it's been bugging me to this day, I was thinking about just painting it over.

I'm the type of person that would want a new one for minor things like this. :/

Vitacat

This is actually really old, but about a year ago I had butterfingers and dropped my N3DS, luckily it only resulted in this minor scuff.

https://imgur.com/a/FSFLl

But I'm totally OCD and it's been bugging me to this day, I was thinking about just painting it over.

I'm the type of person that would want a new one for minor things like this. :/
I'm OCD that way, too. What I can recommend if a replacement is not feasible, is to put a good quality skin on it. A few years ago my Nvidia Shield handheld, which I LOVED at the time, took a terrible fall. It got dropped and skidded along rough concrete. Built like a tank, so no real damage, but some unfortunate aesthetic damage occurred. So, I ended up using a Skinomi carbon fiber skin and it worked out pretty well, and let me stop seeing the scratches. Decalgirl also makes some good skins for 3ds that I've seen. Their retro console skin looks particularly sweet for 3ds IMO.

Yes, completely worth it, especially for that good trade value. The much improved 3D, significantly faster operation due to the faster CPU, and extra controls make a solid difference. I have both the red and black, and the black is less noticeable for fingerprint smudges, but the red is IMO gorgeous.

Also, if interested you may also consider the smaller N3ds. Screens are a still a bit bigger than o3ds, and has all the same goodies as the XL, it's just smaller and lighter, and has changeable face covers, both front and back. So you aren't stuck with a certain finish and look. I mention this because starting this Friday they'll be available only at Target and Walmart in a new bundle: $150 for the n3ds, 2 sets of cover plates, and Super Mario 3D Land pre installed. Compare that to the previous n3ds bundles in NA and it's a remarkable deal. It will probably be limited like previous bundles in NA, so if you would like one then don't wait too long. They're not even out yet, and I'm already seeing scalpers selling preorder units on eBay for ~$250. :-(

I'd like to put a good word in for DecalGirl. I got a New 3ds skin through them, which was easy to apply and durable. Great quality, and you can make your own custom skins for a few dollars above the base. They can be a little pricey, so wait for a US sales holiday, like the upcoming Labor Day most likely. DecalGirl has great holiday sales, often 25-30% off.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this in but,
I recently bought a 2DS (Yokai Watch bundle, with the game preinstalled to the sd card)
But my NNID is currently linked to my New 3ds.
Is it true that there is no way to transfer my account from the N3DS to 2DS and then back again (a week later), or any other way to get Yokia onto my N3DS along with the rest of my digital games?

I haven't connected the 2ds to the internet yet if that matters.
thanks

PtM

Banned
I recently bought a 2DS (Yokai Watch bundle, with the game preinstalled to the sd card)
Is it true that there is no way to transfer my account from the N3DS to 2DS and then back again (a week later), or any other way to get Yokia onto my N3DS along with the rest of my digital games?

thanks
Hum, maybe if you had a spare N3DS to transfer the 2DS to.

So, the Home button on my New 3DSXL doesn't work anymore. I was googling this problem, and this doesn't seem to be as common as other buttons breaking. Has anyone else experienced this?

On my regular 3DSXL, the A button was partially unresponsive for a few weeks before it fixed itself. I sold that one off a year ago, and I have been using my current system since then.

I do spend several hours on 3DS, but shouldn't these things be built to last? I really love the games on this system, but these hardware problems are pissing me off so bad. I don't want to send this in for repair. Maybe the button might start working again, but I'm just not going to touch this N3DSXL for a while.

If there's another thread that is more appropriate for my concern, then I can go over there.

thanks

This scenario sucks. I'm surprised a dozen people didn't come in to say that Nintendo's account system was totally fine and modern.

enewtabie

Question. I want to sell my new Nintendo 3ds Xl but I don't want my information on it. Whats the best way to delete it? I see conflicting info on google and I don't want to screw it up.

Question. I want to sell my new Nintendo 3ds Xl but I don't want my information on it. Whats the best way to delete it? I see conflicting info on google and I don't want to screw it up.

best way is to call Nintendo. It's painless. I have done it a couple times. Customer service seems pretty competent.

otherwise you have to remove your Nintendo ID from it and restore to factory defaults. It sucks.

Vitacat

Hey guys, just got the new 3DS Mario 3D land bundle from target. heard there is a dual IPS screen model with seriel numbers yw7010 and 7011. What does 7014 give me? dual TN?
Yes, dual TN. As you've probably noticed they're not bad.

If you want dual IPS, the maybe try eBay, but last time I looked they wanted over $300 for them. As usual Nintendo did the screen lottery so some people got IPS screens and most got TN, and seems like only certain states/regions got IPS at all. But Nintendo got the same money for all of them, so what do they care. Not worth it IMO, so I'm sticking with my TN.

Does anyone know where I can get a N3DS XL battery cover replacement for Metallic Blue? The Nintendo store doesn't seem to sell that particular colour, and the closest one (Galaxy edition) appears to be more of a purple shade.

EDIT: Hrm.. actually I think maybe this one fits.

EDIT2: US only. :(

Xandremi

does anyone know if the old 3ds screen protector will work on the new 3ds non XL models. I don't need it to be perfect, just work.

Gaardus

does anyone know if the old 3ds screen protector will work on the new 3ds non XL models. I don't need it to be perfect, just work.
The screens on the New 3DS are noticeably larger. Nowhere near XL large, but using old 3DS screen protectors isn't viable.

Anyone have suggestions for a replacement battery cover for the n3DS XL? The slimy texture on the black model builds up all kinds of crap on a regular basis, and I keep my hands pretty clean.

Edit: specifically I'd like something with a matte finish.

Im sure this question has been asked somewhere before, but i thought i would ask again here and if I can be guided anywhere better that would be much appreciated.

I have a New 3ds and I want to stream it. What exactly do I need to do? What do most other streamers do?

I am aware of some capture card options and some non capture card options. Non capture card obviously interests me but it requires some level of modding to say the least which something im having a hard time getting complete information on. Any help would be appreciated.

Also yes my system is totally updated

Im sure this question has been asked somewhere before, but i thought i would ask again here and if I can be guided anywhere better that would be much appreciated.

I have a New 3ds and I want to stream it. What exactly do I need to do? What do most other streamers do?

I am aware of some capture card options and some non capture card options. Non capture card obviously interests me but it requires some level of modding to say the least which something im having a hard time getting complete information on. Any help would be appreciated.

Also yes my system is totally updated
If your system is updated you have to hardmod either way, or system transfer from another New 3DS that already has CFW (I assume you don't have this). If you're interested in the non capture card options look up stock to a9lh on google.

ironmang

Just got my BF n3DS and man, I'm already liking this thing. Barely messed around with it but my old XL feels like a brick compared to this. Screen size isn't bothering me as much as I thought it may have. Really just has a good feel to it and I'm excited to have a handheld I can put in my pocket and not be uncomfortable.

Are there still plans to bring more SNES games? Going to start with Earthbound as I've never played it but hoping the library gets built on in 2017 and beyond.

OmegaFax

Just got my BF n3DS and man, I'm already liking this thing. Barely messed around with it but my old XL feels like a brick compared to this. Screen size isn't bothering me as much as I thought it may have. Really just has a good feel to it and I'm excited to have a handheld I can put in my pocket and not be uncomfortable.

Are there still plans to bring more SNES games? Going to start with Earthbound as I've never played it but hoping the library gets built on in 2017 and beyond.

Nintendo's been doing SNES games on almost a monthly wave basis since they announced SNES VC earlier this year. Japan tends to release a bulk of them in waves every 3 or 4 months. It's kind of up in the air how much longer Nintendo's going to bother with it or whether games with specialized chips get support. I think the Mega Man X series, namely the latter two, are the only games that had a special Capcom specific chip that is supported.

Hopefully Kirby's Dream Land 3, Kirby Superstar, and Super Mario RPG happen eventually since NIntendo went as far as releasing them on the Wii U VC. SuperFX games like Star Fox and Yoshi's Island are probably never happening.

VPhys

I'm thinking of picking up a portable console for some long flights I have coming up.

Which version of the 3DS should I get? Does the New XL have better ergonomics than the New 3DS. What about the screen resolution I read the XL doubles the screen resolution but other reports say it's the same and thus the XL is more pixelated. This will go in my backpack so portability isn't an issue. I just want the best possible screen and ergonomics.

Also, I don't think either one comes with a charger, should I buy a cable off amazon and use it with a powerbank or USB ac adapter?

Lastly, they seem pretty hard to find what's the best source to acquire one. Will the be on Amazon within the next month or so?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm thinking of picking up a portable console for some long flights I have coming up.

Which version of the 3DS should I get? Does the New XL have better ergonomics than the New 3DS. What about the screen resolution I read the XL doubles the screen resolution but other reports say it's the same and thus the XL is more pixelated. This will go in my backpack so portability isn't an issue. I just want the best possible screen and ergonomics.

Also, I don't think either one comes with a charger, should I buy a cable off amazon and use it with a powerbank or USB ac adapter?

Lastly, they seem pretty hard to find what's the best source to acquire one. Will the be on Amazon within the next month or so?

I've owned them both, there's pros and cons to each. Honestly your best bet is an XL because the Faceplate sized one is still sold out and very hard to find. You'll have much better luck actually finding a XL, unless you want to try eBay or craigslist.

As far as ergonomics go, it's... Okay. I recently got a grip from Cyber, sold on Amazon and it helps immensely. So definitely buy a grip if having a comfort is an important thing to you.

VPhys

Ok I'll keep an eye out for the XL.

That grip is a great idea I didn't even know they existed. The Cyber grip is quite pricey but I found a similar one that has good reviews. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UJ9LB6Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think I'll pick that up once I find an 3DS in stock. I want to go new I don't wan't the ebay route I use ebay for selling.

Probably the wrong place to ask but if I can't find a 3DS in time is the Playstation vita a viable option?

Seems like better hardware but I just don't want to deal with the whole downloading games part. I want to recoup my investment when the inevitable new system comes along and with the DS I can sell my used games since they are physical media. Plus it seems that Vita system is dying. I would like to play GTA though, and I have a PS4.

VPhys

So I just stumbled upon the Nintendo Switch. Boy am I out of the loop. This seems like it will be the perfect console for me.

I may just get a 2DS to hold me over and sell that when the switch comes out.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Currently based in Hong Kong, was wondering which version of the New 3DS/New 3DS XL should I purchase i.e., Japan or NA version?

I'm trying to get the New 3DS and not the XL version. Please advise and thank you!

WillyFive

Just got a New 3DS XL.

Already have Pokemon Sun (bought it mainly for this game).

What other games are must have on the 3DS?

Get Shantae and the Pirates Curse, Smash Bros, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, Mario 3D Land, and if you are a fan of RPGs, there are a huge number of them like Bravely Default, Xenonlade, Dragon Quest, etc.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just got a New 3DS XL.

Already have Pokemon Sun (bought it mainly for this game).

What other games are must have on the 3DS?

Lol there's too many games man. You gotta narrow it down by genres you enjoy or something.

I've enjoyed Shovel Knight and the Fire Emblem games.

Top Bottom