• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo hardware confirmed.

wRATH2x said:
Those "concepts" look like ass

How about this?

njsB2.png

Better? Worse? Equally ugly?

(I'm done posting pics)

IrrelevantNotch said:
How about this?

njsB2.png

Better? Worse? Equally ugly?

(I'm done posting pics)

I dunno how removing a button and making it slightly shorter will actually fix things, though.
If anything, the Wii remote is fairly well designed for what you need it for.
Actually, I just had an idea, that maybe you could but some force buttons on the side where you fingers are (or both sides to accommodate lefties and a little switch that would activate one side), would actually help a lot.
Make them clicky buttons that you have to push with a good amount of force so you don't accidentally press them.

evangd007 said:
$250. Nintendo has never released a console north of $250, and I don't think they are going to start now.

<insert hundreds of thousands of posts from 2005 saying Nintendo had never launched at a price above $200 and wouldn't start now here>

I think it really depends on what they decide to include in the console (both hardware and software wise).
Though, I think we'll see it at $250 or lower, especially if MS and Sony decide to go with a smaller leap to cut prices.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
AceBandage said:
Actually, I just had an idea, that maybe you could but some force buttons on the side where you fingers are (or both sides to accommodate lefties and a little switch that would activate one side), would actually help a lot.
Make them clicky buttons that you have to push with a good amount of force so you don't accidentally press them.

My design accommodates that since the shoulder buttons meet up with the "meat" of your thumb when held vertically. Simply squeeze the controller to press the R shoulder button in for pressure control.

DrGAKMANWiiMote2H.jpg

(Please note that the top of this picture is a "top view" horizontally or a "side view" vertically)
DrGAKMANWiiMote2V.jpg

Since the long "R" shoulder button is analog (like the GCN & Wii Classic controllers shoulder buttons) it can measure the amount of pressure you're squeezing the controller with. Adding pressure control can add much to motion controls by gripping the controller loser or harder to throw quicker or harder pitches or punches, making stronger grapples in wrestling or fighting games, holding your weapon loser or tighter in other games...it can add a lot and might actually make analog buttons more worthwhile.

DrGAKMANWiiMote2H.jpg

The problem with this design for my idea is that the buttons are in a weird place for you you hold it remote style.
They need to be near the middle where you fingers are going to rest at all times.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
AceBandage said:
The problem with this design for my idea is that the buttons are in a weird place for you you hold it remote style.
They need to be near the middle where you fingers are going to rest at all times.

True, if you were going for finger placement, but my idea is not to use the fingers for pressure control, but rather your grip. It works by gripping the controller with the meat of the thumb. If I moved the shoulder buttons more to the middle I think it'd be uncomfy 'cos it'd constantly be pressed when held vertically and they'd be too far inward to be used as shoulder buttons when held horizontally.

I should also note that my design is somewhat "shorter" than the current WiiMote by design...and that really helps the shoulder R button's placement for use when held vertically.

Imagine it like this...if you have a classic Wii controller hold it like a WiiMote with the D-Pad up top. Now your index would be where the WiiMote's trigger is, your other fingers wrapped around to the other side, but since your thumb is up by the D-Pad the "meat" of your thumb (used for gripping the side opposite of your other fingers) is RIGHT on the analog R shoulder button. Now when you grip it harder you're actually pushing the R button in...see how it works. Now imagine a WiiMote designed like the around the size of the classic controller but thinner so your fingers can wrap around it better.

DrGAKMAN...

I think the problem with your design is that you're trying to make the wiimote/nunchuk combo be the complicated controller that has otherwise become the standard. I don't think that's going to happen as it's antithetical to the inclusive ideas that Nintendo has. A new wiimote that is more robust in it's capabilities while being just as functionally simple for the expanded audience is what we are likely to see.

Their answer to you will be to make the classic controller more robust as well. If it matches what you expect in a standard controller, then there is no reason to complicate the Wiimote/nunchuk combo itself.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
bmf said:
DrGAKMAN...

I think the problem with your design is that you're trying to make the wiimote/nunchuk combo be the complicated controller that has otherwise become the standard. I don't think that's going to happen as it's antithetical to the inclusive ideas that Nintendo has. A new wiimote that is more robust in it's capabilities while being just as functionally simple for the expanded audience is what we are likely to see.

Their answer to you will be to make the classic controller more robust as well. If it matches what you expect in a standard controller, then there is no reason to complicate the Wiimote/nunchuk combo itself.

And I ask again...how will adding TWO buttons on the face of the WiiMote and some shoulder buttons *really* scare off the casualz like you all seem to be suggesting??? How is it so much more complex?

There's a WALL between traditional games and motion games (not to mention gamers & game makers on both sides too)...namely because of the controller. If the controller is kept basically the same in vertical mode, but also gives traditional controls what it needs (4 face buttons & shoulder buttons) in horizontal mode, how is that going to be too complex...how is that really going to scare casuals away? 2 buttons...OMG!

I suggest this bridge between a motion & traditional controller so that out-of-the-box players get the best of both and developers don't feel the need to dumb down or make the player have to buy a seperate traditional controller.

AceBandage said:
I dunno how removing a button and making it slightly shorter will actually fix things, though.
If anything, the Wii remote is fairly well designed for what you need it for.

Well, I only have a few minor issues with the Wii controller, the biggest being how annoyingly small its buttons are. Second is the price - get rid of the speaker and internal memory I never use and try to sell it at around 30 dollars. Third is the whole nunchuck concept. Why on Earth should I pay 20 dollars for a device which is completely useless on its own? Nintendo should just throw an analog stick on the Wiimote and then call it a day. Also, the back of the controller annoys me, but that's another story.

Think you could illustrate that for me?

Branduil

I think most of the improvements to the Wiimote are going to be internal and will only be noticed in gameplay. It will likely incorporate Motion+ and elements of the vitality sensor. Nintendo will try to reduce the need for user calibration as much as possible while improving accuracy. I also imagine it will come already encased in soft rubber so you don't need to mess with the condoms.

Button-wise, I can't see them adding much except maybe 3 and 4 buttons next to 1 and 2 so sideways-style games aren't lacking for inputs. NSMB Wii could have used a couple more buttons.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Wait 'til you see my next-gen Wii design...it looks basically like R.O.B. the robot's head.

Branduil said:
I think most of the improvements to the Wiimote are going to be internal and will only be noticed in gameplay. It will likely incorporate Motion+ and elements of the vitality sensor. Nintendo will try to reduce the need for user calibration as much as possible while improving accuracy. I also imagine it will come already encased in soft rubber so you don't need to mess with the condoms.

Button-wise, I can't see them adding much except maybe 3 and 4 buttons next to 1 and 2 so sideways-style games aren't lacking for inputs. NSMB Wii could have used a couple more buttons.

Thank you, this is what I think and I don't see how others can't understand it in my concept???

DrGAKMAN said:
And I ask again...how will adding TWO buttons on the face of the WiiMote and some shoulder buttons *really* scare off the casualz like you all seem to be suggesting??? How is it so much more complex?

There's a WALL between traditional games and motion games (not to mention gamers & game makers on both sides too)...namely because of the controller. If the controller is kept basically the same in vertical mode, but also gives traditional controls what it needs (4 face buttons & shoulder buttons) in horizontal mode, how is that going to be too complex...how is that really going to scare casuals away? 2 buttons...OMG!

I suggest this bridge between a motion & traditional controller so that out-of-the-box players get the best of both and developers don't feel the need to dumb down or make the player have to buy a seperate traditional controller.
Yep. 2 buttons.

Two weeks ago I had to deal with a broken water heater. I spent the money, and got it replaced. A week later (on Tuesday) the pilot light went out. So I went out and relit it. It involved turning a couple of nobs and pressing a couple of buttons. The instructions were in the booklet taped to the water heater. Two days later I get an angry call. The water heater has gone out again. I call the company I bought it from and scheduled for them to come out the next day and instructed the tenant to follow the instructions in the booklet and relight it. He pissed and moaned and and said he didn't know how to do it and didn't want to do it because water heaters are the things that blow up. I told him that I could make it out the next day when the plumber came out to investigate, and that if he wanted hot water he'd have to relight it himself. He pissed and moaned some more and he eventually got off the phone.

Three hours later I spoke to him again. I guess he really wanted a hot shower, because he sat down and read the booklet and relit it.

The point is that people are stupid and afraid of buttons. No. Hold that. People are fucking retarded and afraid of buttons. Nintendo is fucking brilliant because they made a controller that is functional enough if a game designer can make due without 16 buttons, and that a retard isn't afraid of.

You took the brilliantly simple controller, added four buttons plus a screen that's also a button. This is no longer simplicity. These people now have to look at the controller and to figure out what button to press instead of just having two god damned buttons. Two buttons is fucking simple. You press the one on top for the thing that you do most of the time, and the one on the bottom for that alternate thing. Sometimes you hold it sideways, and you still only have two buttons. The one on the right for the thing you do most of the time, and the one on the left for the alternate thing.

Edit: Sorry I blew up. It's been one of those years.

DrGAKMAN said:
My design accommodates that since the shoulder buttons meet up with the "meat" of your thumb when held vertically. Simply squeeze the controller to press the R shoulder button in for pressure control.

DrGAKMANWiiMote2H.jpg

(Please note that the top of this picture is a "top view" horizontally or a "side view" vertically)
DrGAKMANWiiMote2V.jpg

Since the long "R" shoulder button is analog (like the GCN & Wii Classic controllers shoulder buttons) it can measure the amount of pressure you're squeezing the controller with. Adding pressure control can add much to motion controls by gripping the controller loser or harder to throw quicker or harder pitches or punches, making stronger grapples in wrestling or fighting games, holding your weapon loser or tighter in other games...it can add a lot and might actually make analog buttons more worthwhile.

kobe.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
GamerZero said:
http://kotaku.com/5497827/psp-still-...e-war-in-japan

And some people wonder why Nintendo would release the "DS2" later this year, in Japan at least.

Software sales are still fine, and it was close for both. Honestly looking at how both handhelds are still selling in Japan you think why do either need a kick to the curb for new hardware.

I could see something like a 1st half of the year release of hardware in Japan though in 2011. Would give both the current systems time to go one more round during the holidays.

Only thing I'm not so sure of is what Nintendo has planned for the DS software wise for the holidays. We know now the PSP has another Monster Hunter to look forward to so that'll sell for Sony and Capcom. Most companies will have done even their sequels though by the end of this year, and it might be time for new systems so people can reup franchises that might only get one or MAYBE two itterations per hardware.

Like as soon as Nintendo releases new hardware boom new Mario Kart which will just print more $$$.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
bmf said:
Yep. 2 buttons.

Two weeks ago I had to deal with a broken water heater. I spent the money, and got it replaced. A week later (on Tuesday) the pilot light went out. So I went out and relit it. It involved turning a couple of nobs and pressing a couple of buttons. The instructions were in the booklet taped to the water heater. Two days later I get an angry call. The water heater has gone out again. I call the company I bought it from and scheduled for them to come out the next day and instructed the tenant to follow the instructions in the booklet and relight it. He pissed and moaned and and said he didn't know how to do it and didn't want to do it because water heaters are the things that blow up. I told him that I could make it out the next day when the plumber came out to investigate, and that if he wanted hot water he'd have to relight it himself. He pissed and moaned some more and he eventually got off the phone.

Three hours later I spoke to him again. I guess he really wanted a hot shower, because he sat down and read the booklet and relit it.

The point is that people are stupid and afraid of buttons. No. Hold that. People are fucking retarded and afraid of buttons. Nintendo is fucking brilliant because they made a controller that is functional enough if a game designer can make due without 16 buttons, and that a retard isn't afraid of.

You took the brilliantly simple controller, added four buttons plus a screen that's also a button. This is no longer simplicity. These people now have to look at the controller and to figure out what button to press instead of just having two god damned buttons. Two buttons is fucking simple. You press the one on top for the thing that you do most of the time, and the one on the bottom for that alternate thing. Sometimes you hold it sideways, and you still only have two buttons. The one on the right for the thing you do most of the time, and the one on the left for the alternate thing.

Lovely...and I understand 'cos I deal with "normies" everyday too. But how did Nintendo EVER convince people to play the SNES with it's massive 4 face buttons? How did the millions of PlayStationers ever learn the tremendous burdon of 4 face buttons too? And by God, even the mighty DS has...three, no FOUR face buttons!

Four face buttons isn't the problem, 24 fucking face buttons doesn't prevent every "normie" in the world from picking up their TV remote. The problems with games scaring away the mass consumer had less to do with the amount of buttons and more to do with the analog stick(s) and the overall look (nerdy) & feel (2 handed, uncomfy) of traditional controllers.

The current WiiMote looks and feels like a very familiar TV remote. And my concept doesn't hurt that brilliant asthetic in the slightest. When it's held like a remote it still feels like a remote and still has that tried-and-true D-PAD, big A button and trigger B button combo...however...when held like a traditional controller it feel & plays like one too! All by adding 2 simple face buttons and some shoulder buttons.

By this logic, Nintendo will do away with all buttons just to make things even easier for people right? Wrong! Nintendo needs to swim upstream and tear down the walls between traditional & expanded audiences while still keeping it simple enough in look & feel that they can still garner the "normies". The best way they can do that, out of the box, is by keeping the simple remote form factor, but adding a lil' bit more to it.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
DrGAKMAN
By far the most
embarrassing poster on
NeoGAF that has yet to be
permabanned.

Face it NeoGAF...you need me!

I predicted the WiiMote, I'm predicting the WiiMote 2 and I provide entertainment value.

The unbridled hate only proves it!

DrGAKMAN said:
Lovely...and I understand 'cos I deal with "normies" everyday too. But how did Nintendo EVER convince people to play the SNES with it's massive 4 face buttons? How did the millions of PlayStationers ever learn the tremendous burdon of 4 face buttons too? And by God, even the mighty DS has...three, no FOUR face buttons!

Four face buttons isn't the problem, 24 fucking face buttons doesn't prevent every "normie" in the world from picking up their TV remote. The problems with games scaring away the mass consumer had less to do with the amount of buttons and more to do with the analog stick(s) and the overall look (nerdy) & feel (2 handed, uncomfy) of traditional controllers.

The current WiiMote looks and feels like a very familiar TV remote. And my concept doesn't hurt that brilliant asthetic in the slightest. When it's held like a remote it still feels like a remote and still has that tried-and-true D-PAD, big A button and trigger B button combo...however...when held like a traditional controller it feel & plays like one too! All by adding 2 simple face buttons and some shoulder buttons.

By this logic, Nintendo will do away with all buttons just to make things even easier for people right? Wrong! Nintendo needs to swim upstream and tear down the walls between traditional & expanded audiences while still keeping it simple enough in look & feel that they can still garner the "normies". The best way they can do that, out of the box, is by keeping the simple remote form factor, but adding a lil' bit more to it.
It's about balance. Your average remote control user knows which button turns it on, which one changes the volume and which one changes the channel. The only reason they're bothered to learn that is because otherwise they'd have to get up and use the buttons on the TV. Nintendo is competing against television for these people's attention.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Tobor said:
It really is. :lol I love how he signs each pic, as if anyone would want to steal them.

Lemme see some of your good ideas drawn out on paper.

I'm also doing a nicer digital .gif, but only after I discuss and work out all the kinks. It's a hobby of mine, not a career.

Go ahead and hate, but at least I have ideas and at least I can draw them out somewhat.

Didn't Reggie say that by the time the next generation rolls out, they will be on a completely different road while everyone rehashes what they have done this gen? Or something to that extent?

Ah DrGAKMAN, I've been a big fan of you craziness ever since u used to post at planet gamecube. Why don't you share with us some of your previous controllers designs. I'd sure love to see them again.

Rocket Punch said:
Ah DrGAKMAN, I've been a big fan of you craziness ever since u used to post at planet gamecube. Why don't you share with us some of your previous controllers designs. I'd sure love to see them again.
Same here. I don't hate you. I just strenuously and vigorously disagree with you. Whatever happened with the pornstars that you used to have as avatars anyway?

GCX

abstract alien said:
Didn't Reggie say that by the time the next generation rolls out, they will be on a completely different road while everyone rehashes what they have done this gen? Or something to that extent?
Well, the key element of Nintendo's current strategy is to keep surprising consumers with new kind of ways to play so I'm definitely not expecting just WiiHD. With their current business model they are always one step ahead of the competition if the competitors keep mimicking what Nintendo has come up with.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Rocket Punch said:

Workin' on the YouTube of it...have about a dozen complete ideas from the past with about 100 incomplete concepts.

I started on NintendoNext/Nation back before Howard Lincoln announced the Do!phin Project.

Tobor

DrGAKMAN said:

I'm also doing a nicer digital .gif, but only after I discuss and work out all the kinks. It's a hobby of mine, not a career.

Go ahead and hate, but at least I have ideas and at least I can draw them out somewhat.
Defensive and joke character are a bad combo, dude.

GCX said:
Well, the key element of Nintendo's current strategy is to keep surprising consumers with new kind of ways to play so I'm definitely not expecting just WiiHD. With their current business model they are always one step ahead of the competition if the competitors keep mimicking what Nintendo has come up with.
Additionally I can't imagine Nintendo abruptly changing directions again. I hope they're watching what they're competitors are doing right with online services and are integrating those on their end as well. I'm willing to be surprised, but I'm entirely unsure about what they could possibly do that would be new and invigorate them into a new generation.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
bmf said:
Same here. I don't hate you. I just strenuously and vigorously disagree with you. Whatever happened with the pornstars that you used to have as avatars anyway?

The only two girls I had as my avatars were not pornstars. They were Jenny Lewis & Ewa Barbara Sonnet.

Do you disagree just for argument's sake or 'cos everyone else is doin' it? JK! But to tell the truth, I'm glad you can constructively type out responces as oppossed to the usual peanut gallery tryin' to make a name for themselves by hatin' on me. And I have taken yours (and others) words to my theories & ideas so if I seem bull-headed it's not 'cos I think you're dumb and I'm better, just that I'm stubborn with my ideas sometimes. But they have changed back and forth from time to time. Ultimatly we just have to wait'n'see, but I love to speculate in the mean time.

DrGAKMAN said:

Don't worry bro, just do what you enjoy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
DrGAKMAN said:

Can =/= Should

Top Bottom