• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW No Man's Sky Details (GAMEPLAY, ATLAS, CRAFTING,)

Squalor

Why isn't that enough of a goal
There is more of a goal than that.

If you happen upon some planet no one else has and find some valuable resource, you could, essentially, become a kingpin on another planet.

That kind of possibility is what makes this so exciting.

Leatherface

Because it's too open ended where I will wander off, bullshit around, finally get bored and never play again? Maybe I'm wrong but I think the potential is high. I know me and sandbox games. I really do like the scope of this though. It looks amazing. But will it be enough to keep me interested? Sometimes having a lot of content to explore doesn't translate into a great game.

Steel

Banned
You'll be bored in this game after 1 hour when the novelty of the open world wears off. If I'm wrong I'll buy a steam copy of the game for five gaffers.

I wouldn't be bored if the game was nothing but flying around and looking at planets with varying plants and animals on them for 40 hours. The game is already confirmed to be more than that, so you've taken a bet you can't possibly win.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I'll take that bet. I don't get bored with Space Engine which literally has 0 gameplay so I think this will keep me entertained for more than an hour.

How do you prove this bet though? Do you mean, that you, personally will get bored of it, or people in general? Because I'm sure some people will, and some people won't. And I'd like a PSN copy please :D

I don't believe there is cross-platform play.

Easy win.

I love NeoGAF bets.

I wouldn't be bored if the game was nothing but flying around and looking at planets with varying plants and animals on them for 40 hours. The game is already confirmed to be more than that, so you've taken a bet you can't possibly win.

Add me to your list of 5 please :)

I of course mean the general consensus on the game after the hype dies down. A comparison to this would be, hmmmm, let's DA:I where the general GAF hive mind initially thought it was great and then realised it was a boring single player mmorpg.

I hope I'm wrong but honestly can't see this game being interesting. It'll get repetitive very quickly.

Crom

He's incredibly shortsighted. Maybe he's being obtuse just to play devil's advocate, but he's coming across as an idiot.

No he isn't. Mechanics and how you do something (gameplay) are very important. You can say "do what ever you want" in any video game...but what can you truly do? Are the mechanics fun?

You talk about being a kingpin in one of your earlier posts. How do you know that you can even do that when the developers themselves said you may never even run into other people in your travels.

New info from the Wired article:
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-06/18/no-mans-sky-e3-2015

HOLY SHIIIIIT! So what that means is, if you some how want to travel between stars without warping, you may come across "dead planets" that were flung away from their parent star's orbit due to strong gravity from its neighboring planets. Even BLACK HOLES!

THATS HUGE!
ooooh man. I hope I can fly into a black hole and push books off a bookcase immediately die.

I'm so excited for this game that it hurts. Even if I ignore everything else, it'd be fun to just fly around and see the gorgeous art style.

Squalor

No he isn't. Mechanics and how you do something (gameplay) are very important. You can say "do what ever you want" in any video game...but what can you truly do? Are the mechanics fun?

You talk about being a kingpin in one of your earlier posts. How do you know that you can even do that when the developers themselves said you may never even run into other people in your travels.
Of course you're going to run into other people.

People will be talking about it on message boards, so it'll be pretty damn easy to find other people.

SeriousApes

I'm kinda skeptical about how deep this game will actually be, but I've always dreamed of exploring space, so if this game is not much more than a virtual exploration sim, I think I'll still enjoy it. Even if all I do is fly around randomly and wander. I like to do that on games anyway. Hopefully the planets are varied enough and the scope is vast enough that it gives that sense of discovery.

Of course you're going to run into other people.

People will be talking about it on message boards, so it'll be pretty damn easy to find other people.

Depends a lot on how the galactic map will work. If it'll be as barebones as they've shown so far, good luck finding anyone anywhere, even if you know the exact name of the planet. Right now, the only orientation is the galactic center, but you have no idea what the "south-west" or the "north-east" quadrant of said galaxy is, nor are there any coordinates displayed. If they add some of these information then yes, it would be easier to arrange a meet.

Although, a lot of the visual elements shown so far are obviously work in progress (for example, I doubt those cockpits are the final versions, full of non-functional displays and barely visible numerical speed indicators), so nothing we've seen so far is set in stone I think.

• No Man’s Sky does not have a traditional story with cutscenes and a predefined hero.
  • Like Minecraft and Terraria, the player creates and defines their own experience.
  • Planets are planet sized. You can spend days exploring just one world, experiencing its day and night cycles while walking its surface or flying through the sky in your spaceship (or jet pack)
  • Once you discover a planet, you can change its randomly generated name to whatever you want. The same goes for any creatures you find on its surface.
  • Although you're free to do what you want in No Man's Sky, there are consequences for your actions. If you kill too many creatures or deplete a planet's valuable resources, your “wanted” level will go up, and the planet’s “Sentinels” will come after you.
    If you pick a fight in space, the space police will come after you.
    And if you pick a fight with them, prepare to take on the military.

• Almost everything in the game can be upgraded: shields, ships, weapons, and even your spacesuit.

• [*]There are three basic gameplays styles: exploring, trading, and fighting.
  • If you die in the game, you'll lose any information you did not save to "The Atlus", a giant computer that records your progress and can be accessed via a planet's beacons.
  • You can literally craft items on an atomic level by using blueprints you find in the game.
  • Even when the game "ends" (i.e.making it to the center of the galaxy) you can continue to explore worlds for as long as you want.
  • You can share your discoveries online by uploading information to The Atlus, which will allow friends to see everything you've discovered in the game.

So basically, It's like Dark Souls/Bloodborne in a way that, if you callect all kinds of stuff, and dont make it to a beacon, you lose all that shit. So beacons are kinda like Bonfires/Lamps.

I dont think Crafting has been announced either, IIRC.

Reminds me of uncharted waters series.. I'll play this

legacyzero

Banned
Minus the 3D graphics, this is what I was hoping for from Starbound.

Needless to say that I'm gonna get this baby on PC of course!
Yeah, Ive spent SO much time in Starbound (round 350 hours). Its amazing.

So Im hoping the NMS experience is something like that

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I'm excited for this game. I'm also monumentally excited for what a game like this with a 250 million dollar budget could be.

RedSwirl

I'll admit, when I tried out Elite last year there was a moment after I did the tutorial mission laid out in the manual when I looked at the start chart and said "what now?" NMS is going to be a game where you'll have to make your own goals. The "get to the center of the galaxy" thing is one long-term goal but there will probably be many steps to getting there the player will have to figure out for themselves within the game's systems.

In Elite I eventually resolved to make enough money to afford certain upgrades or in the case of Elite 2 a particular new ship. From there the goal basically becomes "earn money." Maybe that's what Sean Murray should be advertising as a main goal of No Man's Sky -- to earn money so you can get cool upgrades. My only fear with this is that for some people NMS could become a pretty grindy game. You could theoretically end up repeating one trade route a bunch of times just to earn enough to get that one cool gun you want.

RedSwirl

Started watching the Gamespot video and it confirms what I've been thinking about how Sean Murray sees the game compared to how other people see the game.

In the middle of it Murray directly references PC sandbox survival games like Salt, Terraria, and Stranded Deep. The difference with these games is they didn't have really any fanfare before they became available to the public. They just showed up on Steam Early Access, people took notice of them, word of mouth got around, and then the press started talking. No Man's Sky is probably being made in a similar vein to those games, but its exposure is happening in the opposite way.

I'm sure Murray is continually thinking about his decision to reveal the game way back at VGX. As soon as people saw that game and as soon as Sony saw it, Sony felt it HAD to put No Man's Sky in the spotlight because it felt it had a hit on its hands. I feel like if Sean Murray could do it all over again, he'd probably wait until right around now to reveal the game at all. Some good has come from revealing it so early -- a few more people were inspired to join up and start working on it, including guys from Criterion. Hello Games still wants No Ma's Sky to be that game that just shows up on Steam one day and people start playing it without really knowing much about it at all. Everyone else is putting it in the box of typical console games where they need to know everything about it before it comes out. A big difference with NMS I feel is that it's almost the only one of these kinds of sandbox survival games that's making its debut on a console. One of my main worries when it comes out is that the PS4 audience won't "jell" with NMS as much as the PC audience.

For those of you who couldn't watch the gamespot video, Danny mentioned that we might see the game in the next 12 months. This is according to an interview Danny had with Sean wherein Sean mentioned that if he shows up at E3 2016, then he would go crazy.

Sblargh

Banned
Hmm, he said you can't run into other players even if you're at the same location. Goes against what's been talked about at other interviews this week.

This is what I always thought, but people here made me doubt myself, lol.

Multiplayer here is more like Demons' Souls thing where you see messages from other players and such.

Started watching the Gamespot video and it confirms what I've been thinking about how Sean Murray sees the game compared to how other people see the game.

In the middle of it Murray directly references PC sandbox survival games like Salt, Terraria, and Stranded Deep. The difference with these games is they didn't have really any fanfare before they became available to the public. They just showed up on Steam Early Access, people took notice of them, word of mouth got around, and then the press started talking. No Man's Sky is probably being made in a similar vein to those games, but its exposure is happening in the opposite way.

I'm sure Murray is continually thinking about his decision to reveal the game way back at VGX. As soon as people saw that game and as soon as Sony saw it, Sony felt it HAD to put No Man's Sky in the spotlight because it felt it had a hit on its hands. I feel like if Sean Murray could do it all over again, he'd probably wait until right around now to reveal the game at all. Some good has come from revealing it so early -- a few more people were inspired to join up and start working on it, including guys from Criterion. Hello Games still wants No Ma's Sky to be that game that just shows up on Steam one day and people start playing it without really knowing much about it at all. Everyone else is putting it in the box of typical console games where they need to know everything about it before it comes out. A big difference with NMS I feel is that it's almost the only one of these kinds of sandbox survival games that's making its debut on a console. One of my main worries when it comes out is that the PS4 audience won't "jell" with NMS as much as the PC audience.

I've been thinking the same thing for quite a while. Because of how, or more specifically where the game's been shown off, people are kind of expecting the same rollout of information as every other major "showcase" title, but it's clear that Hello Games, Sean Murray in particular, want that air of mystery and audience discovery you get from a smaller title that simply drops one day and finds its core audience who eventually tear into it and create a more organic buzz.

I think it will find its audience on PS4, but everyone who's frustrated right now by the lack of "What to do" kind of details are simply not that audience. There will be a lot of people who drop the title after a few hours, and some won't buy it based off of reviews, even if the critical consensus is extremely positive, and that's fine. I don't think Hello Games expects No Man's Sky to be a game for everyone.

Brandon is just being a game journalist/devil's advocate that wants details and info to give to their consumers.

It's fine, but I feel like No Man's Sky would be better if they didn't announce it until right before release.

Trouble

Banned
Brandon is just being a game journalist/devil's advocate that wants details and info to give to their consumers.

It's fine, but I feel like No Man's Sky would be better if they didn't announce it until right before release.

Sean Murray basically said as much in that Gamespot interview.

Hmm, he said you can't run into other players even if you're at the same location. Goes against what's been talked about at other interviews this week.
Interesting, cause all I've ever heard was that you won't run into other players or it will be super rare. That he didn't want it to be some asynchronous multiplayer where players figure out where each other is and join up for some co-op or whatever.

The Hermit

Top Bottom