• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW No Man's Sky Details (GAMEPLAY, ATLAS, CRAFTING,)

legacyzero

Banned
Some new juicy bits of info in this IGN ARTICLE

uFyb.png

• No Man’s Sky does not have a traditional story with cutscenes and a predefined hero.
  • Like Minecraft and Terraria, the player creates and defines their own experience.
  • Planets are planet sized. You can spend days exploring just one world, experiencing its day and night cycles while walking its surface or flying through the sky in your spaceship (or jet pack)
  • Once you discover a planet, you can change its randomly generated name to whatever you want. The same goes for any creatures you find on its surface.
  • Although you're free to do what you want in No Man's Sky, there are consequences for your actions. If you kill too many creatures or deplete a planet's valuable resources, your “wanted” level will go up, and the planet’s “Sentinels” will come after you.
    If you pick a fight in space, the space police will come after you.
    And if you pick a fight with them, prepare to take on the military.

• Almost everything in the game can be upgraded: shields, ships, weapons, and even your spacesuit.
  • There are three basic gameplays styles: exploring, trading, and fighting.
  • If you die in the game, you'll lose any information you did not save to "The Atlus", a giant computer that records your progress and can be accessed via a planet's beacons.
  • You can literally craft items on an atomic level by using blueprints you find in the game.
  • Even when the game "ends" (i.e.making it to the center of the galaxy) you can continue to explore worlds for as long as you want.
  • You can share your discoveries online by uploading information to The Atlus, which will allow friends to see everything you've discovered in the game.

So basically, It's like Dark Souls/Bloodborne in a way that, if you callect all kinds of stuff, and dont make it to a beacon, you lose all that shit. So beacons are kinda like Bonfires/Lamps.

I dont think Crafting has been announced either, IIRC.
For the "BUT WHAT DO YOU DO?!" crowd. Watch this video:

http://www.twitch.tv/gametrailers/v/6238913

(Skip to 14:16:00)

Youtube:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=f7AqWngkfdI
OH MY GOD WHY AREN"T WE SEEING THIS SHIT?! :(

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Of course it has gameplay...everyone saying otherwise for the last few years were delusional.

Can't wait.

amnesiac

Sean will be doing an interview in two hours on the Gamespot stream, btw (5:20 pst). Should be about 20 minutes if Gamespot's site is accurate.

This game is nothing more than a simulator for trying to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop, except that it's in space and there are planets and it's going to be awesome

Seanspeed

Banned
Planets are not planet-sized. I'm with the hype on the game but this just isn't true. If they were planet sized, it wouldn't be days of exploration, it'd be decades.

Planets are not planet-sized. I'm with the hype on the game but this just isn't true. If they were planet sized, it wouldn't be days of exploration, it'd be decades.
I think they said in the conference that all the planets would never end up actually being discovered

xxracerxx

Planets that take days to explore fully sounds big enough to me.

Buggy Loop

"You can literally craft items on an atomic level by using blueprints you find in the game."

Bullshit. This is a buzzword

NQHKSVE.gif

UberTag

Try to get to the center
This game is nothing more than a simulator for trying to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop, except that it's in space and there are planets and it's going to be awesome
How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?
How many planets does one need to visit to get to the center of the No Man's Sky universe?

It's so good to finally hear some details about what you're actually doing, other than getting to the center of the galaxy. I'm finally allowing myself to get excited for this.

We all knew what they meant. Also, it's definitely an artistic choice to be a smaller size. I'm sure they can generate a true planet size but how fun would that actually be? They're generating an entire galaxy I don't think a 1:1 planet would be difficult.

NoKisum

I do have a couple questions about the game:
Is there cross-platform play?
And how do you communicate with other players?

It's not a deal breaker in the slightest, by the way. All this will do is dictate which system I purchase the game on.

bombshell

How does warp/teleport/whatever work?

It seemed like Sean could just select a random planet in the demo and travel there instantly. What prevents me from just travel to the centre of galaxy immediately?

USC-fan

Banned
How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?
How many planets does one need to visit to get to the center of the No Man's Sky universe?

You are playing it wrong....

It seemed like Sean could just select a random planet in the demo and travel there instantly. What prevents me from just travel to the centre of galaxy immediately?
Seem to be how upgraded your ship is. There must be a range for the warp drive.

CHC

Thank god for the saving. It's not that I can't take difficulty, it just makes everything feel meaningless if you're always dying and losing everything.

This is gonna be so good! Between these few details and the simultaneous PC release date, my hype is gonna collapse under its own weight here.

Demo magic
Also, I think you can only warp to discovered planets(Planet E3, contrary to what you might think, wasn't randomly picked)

As a someone from EU I almost thought I'd have to wait 6 months longer for the game to come out here than in the US. Not cool.

xxracerxx

The map will most likely not tell you which planet is the center, also you will not have infinite warp capabilities. Small jumps dude.

MADGAME

Going to so fun exploring and renaming things to my twisted spur of the moment whims.

Also will be looking forward to watching speedruns to the center of the galaxy.

Top Bottom