• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nvidia RTX 4000 Adola Lovelace Cards Announced | RTX 4090 (1599$) October 12th | RTX 4080 (1199$)

Sleepwalker

All that power and new games are still coming out for the PS4 and xbox one. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway, GPU mining is dead (this time for real, itll take years for a different minable coin to be profitable in the scale ETH was). So you can't even mine your one card to make up the insane cost. I do think they are gonna struggle to sell these, but they will also paper launch them so who knows.

Admerer

Why the hell are people so mad?

Nvidia has been pushing the price of Gpus up and up for a while now and their cards always fly off the shelves.

Nvidia tested the waters with the RTX3090 last time and people had no problem dropping $1500 for the cards if they couldn't find a 3080 for sale.

This is also a great way to fight scalpers, instead of leaving room for scalpers to make a profit, Nvidia are essentially scalping the cards themselves so they get the "early adopters pay anything" sales.

Later on, once supply and demand levels out they can drop prices,
brilliant move Nvidia.

I bet even with all the negativity towards the launch prices the cards will sell out in minutes, if not seconds.

Crayon

Nvidia has been pushing the price of Gpus up and up for a while now and their cards always fly off the shelves.

Nvidia tested the waters with the RTX3090 last time and people had no problem dropping $1500 for the cards if they couldn't find a 3080 for sale.

This is also a great way to fight scalpers, instead of leaving room for scalpers to make a profit, Nvidia are essentially scalping the cards themselves so they get the "early adopters pay anything" sales.

brilliant move Nvidia.

I bet even with all the negativity towards the launch prices the cards will sell out in minutes, if not seconds.

At the risk of sounding kinda cold, I think a bunch of the backlash could be coming from people being priced out of the top shelf stuff. A 1080 was like $600, I think. There are a lot of 1080 buyers who won't be able to get 4080's. Being able to afford an --80 back then, but not now, could piss someone off.

I agree with you. This is just nvidia charging what people will pay. I ain't paying it, but I'm not mad about it either.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

brilliant move Nvidia.

I think it is mainly the price of the 4080 and the cut down 4080. But with 3080s still at around $750 they really had no choice. Also the DLSS 3.0 thing seems a little bullshitty.

lukilladog

brilliant move Nvidia.

Not really, their high end cards got their prices slashed massively during last couple of months after mining started to decline because actual pc users were not buying.

Leonidas

Wish we could go back to Turing pricing.

I'm skipping a new generation of cards for the first time since I built my first PC nearly 10 years ago.

Hopefully pricing will be reasonable next year with refreshes...

skneogaf

I bought a 3090ti for more than the 4090 and its at least 50 percent slower!

Its a shame nvidia don't do a trade in program like Samsung do with their phones as I'd just keep upgrading to each highest end gpu.

I'll have to see if I can get 800 or more to fund a 4090.

Admerer

Not really, their high end cards got their prices slashed massively during last couple of months after mining started to decline because actual pc users were not buying.
No, I'm not talking about the last couple months, I'm talking about @ launch for the rtx 3000 series.
Nvidia even said the 3090 wasn't for gamers as to justify the $1500 price tag, yet gamers had no problem scooping them up.
Notice, how the 4090 is now a gaming card instead of a Titan class card for content creators.

Also, if remember correctly mining driving up demand wasn't until sometime after the launch of the cards.
The rtx 3000 launch prices and demand were not influenced at all by mining, not until later, weeks maybe (correct me if I'm wrong).

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
No, I'm not talking about the last couple months, I'm talking about @ launch for the rtx 3000 series.
Nvidia even said the 3090 wasn't for gamers as to justify the $1500 price tag, yet gamers had no problem scooping them up.
Notice, how the 4090 is now a gaming card instead of a Titan class card for content creators.

Also, if remember correctly mining driving up demand wasn't until sometime after the launch of the cards.
The rtx 3000 launch prices and demand were not influenced at all by mining, not until later, weeks maybe (correct me if I'm wrong).

getting a 3000 series at launch for MSRP was nearly impossible

Jinzo Prime

brilliant move Nvidia.

You should buy 2 of them yourself, really support the devs!

After reflecting on the new cards I have come to the conclusion that we have witnessed another classic Nvidia dick move.

The 4080 12GB clearly should of been the new 4070. It features a whopping 1598 less cuda cores than the similarly named 4080 16GB. That equates to 20% - 25% lower performance! Not only is that incredibly misleading to consumers but it effectively leaves the 4070 impossible to place in the stack.

Think about the pricing. People would never accept a $900 4070. They will however pay for an 80 series card in that bracket regardless of how gimped it is. I guess the question is wether the 4060 and 4070 will be released this year? I’m not so sure. I wonder what Nvidia are playing at here. If AMD comes out swinging it’s gonna be hella entertaining this time round.

Admerer

getting a 3000 series at launch for MSRP was nearly impossible
Yes, because of scalpers and their bots.
Retailers had no answer to scalpers/bots (except maybe Evga's website).
Nvidia, has set prices so high that hopefully demand will not be so high as to encourage scalping of these cards.

lukilladog

The msrp was high because nvidia is on a mission to drive prices up miners or not miners, but Jay2cents just said that it was not selling well at 1500... which is true because they had to slash $500 off it once miners dissapeared, there were not enough costumers.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Seems like the balls in Amd’s court now. Hope they don’t screw the pooch too.

PhoenixTank

I think it is mainly the price of the 4080 and the cut down 4080. But with 3080s still at around $750 they really had no choice. Also the DLSS 3.0 thing seems a little bullshitty.
FhAAaKo.jpg

Not my best work above but that's kinda what happens in product cycles. Old stock is sold for less to make room in the market for new stock.

Lasha

Sooooo, for the price of 3 complete ps5 systems without optical drive, you get 1 video card which is useless without all the other stuff you have to buy. Sounds like an excellent deal for slightly nicer graphics 👍

You can spend much less and still be well ahead of a PS5 and not need to pay for online so it evens out.

Admerer

The msrp was high because nvidia is on a mission to drive prices up miners or not miners, but Jay2cents just said that it was not selling well at 1500... which is true because they had to slash $500 off it once miners dissapeared, there were not enough costumers.
I agree that Nvidia is trying to raise the price ceiling for graphics card, my point is consumers are still buying them at these higher prices, justify Nvidia's decision.

Since miners have disappeared, does that mean 4090 cards are going to remain on store shelves unsold?
We'll know in a few weeks, but I got a feeling they'll sell pretty well.

hlm666

DLSS 3 doesn't look to be possible on current gpus because they are using some new hardware in the gpu. Apparently doesn't cause input latency. Curious to see some real world benchmarks, and wonder if the frame insertion will be possible on everything seeing it apparently works by analyzing the image itself.

Last edited:

CuNi

DLSS 3 doesn't look to be possible on current gpus because they are using some new hardware in the gpu. Apparently doesn't cause input latency. Curious to see some real world benchmarks, and wonder if the frame insertion will be possible on everything seeing it apparently works by analyzing the image itself.

What confused me, is him saying it compares current frame to previous one.. So it uses this date for the next frame id assume? Or how else would it want to use that information on the current frame if it needs the current frame as reference?

I hope there is a document that details this process more in depth.

Interfectum

As per nvidia, most DLSS 3 features will be in all RTX cards:

“DLSS 3 consists of 3 technologies – DLSS Frame Generation, DLSS Super Resolution, and NVIDIA Reflex.

DLSS Frame Generation uses RTX 40 Series high-speed Optical Flow Accelerator to calculate the motion flow that is used for the AI network, then executes the network on 4th Generation Tensor Cores. Support for previous GPU architectures would require further innovation in optical flow and AI model optimization.

DLSS Super Resolution and NVIDIA Reflex will of course remain supported on prior generation hardware, so a broader set of customers will continue to benefit from new DLSS 3 integrations. We continue to train the AI model for DLSS Super Resolution and will provide updates for all RTX GPUs as our research”

lukilladog

I agree that Nvidia is trying to raise the price ceiling for graphics card, my point is consumers are still buying them at these higher prices, justify Nvidia's decision.

Since miners have disappeared, does that mean 4090 cards are going to remain on store shelves unsold?

If people were buying $1500 cards we would still have the 3090 at $1500 and the 4090 would have been announced at $2000, at least until they get rid of the 3xxx series warehouses, which is not gonna happen anytimes soon... but of course nvidia is gonna dosify 4090 supply to make it look like an instant success no matter how much it sells, we have no way to know.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

Exactly, PS5s cannot be used for anything other than gaming but there seems to be a reliable stream of consoomers willing to pay stupid scalper prices, GPUs have more uses than just gaming so I don't see why stock won't run out again.
Plus I wouldn't put it past Nvidia to put out bare minimum stock so that they can have the PR bump of "oh sold out!". It would be embarrassing if they were readily available.

I just want to see what AMD comes out with. Sounds like their launch is on Nov 3rd. Maybe AMD wants to give RTX 40 series 3 weeks on the market to see what the consumer reaction is and then decide on their own pricing for RDNA3.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
$5000 ready to go
I would say this is me but for a whole rig. I'll wait for the 3D variant of the 4xxx series before building the rest of the rig. A 5900x will be fine for now.

I have a Supernova 1000w Platinum PSU so I feel like I'll be ok.

That’s not bad. I paid more than msrp for my 3080ti (by like a hundred bucks). Coming from the gpu scalper era these prices aren’t that bad. Lol

Bkdk

I'll wait and see how starfield mods are going, if there are many cool and great looking mods then I will buy the new 4090ti immediately. Problem is there are so few great AAA games to play right now, the only other interesting ones I'm looking forward to is resident evil with mods and steller blade.

brilliant move Nvidia.

They're mad cause they can't afford it. So they're looking to rage and throw excuses because their lives are miserable and they do not want to put any work or effort into making a decent amount of money. TLDR - Envy.

hlm666

What confused me, is him saying it compares current frame to previous one.. So it uses this date for the next frame id assume? Or how else would it want to use that information on the current frame if it needs the current frame as reference?

I hope there is a document that details this process more in depth.
It uses previous frames to create the new one, so the current displayed image and the previous frame image is probably used to create a new one that has only used the tensor and optical flow hardware which is why it gets improvements in cpu/gpu bound scenarios.

There is some more info on this page, not alot so i'm not sure if it helps at all. I don't think you will get a full on indepth explanation of what exactly the optical flow is doing other than the surface level one we got. They don't need to share this with anyone to get dlss 3 working so I can't imagine them being forthcoming about it.

Reallink

These are almost definitely temporary prices to help move 30 series surplus. Once that channel is cleared out (somewhere between 4 and 8 months), they'll drop the 4080's and 4090 prices by several hundred dollars as they launch the 4060/4070 and a 4090Ti (or Titan). They're flagrantly milking the early adopters who'll buy anything at any price, they know they could never come close to satisfying launch window demand at the prices these 3 cards should actually be launching at ($549, $749, and $999). These chips are the historical 4070, 4080, and 4080Ti dies.

Last edited:

Hydroxy

Wish we could go back to Turing pricing.

I'm skipping a new generation of cards for the first time since I built my first PC nearly 10 years ago.

Hopefully pricing will be reasonable next year with refreshes...
More like Pascal gen. Turing is when the big price increases started.

I'm lucky on getting a 3090 for the price of a slightly over the MSRP 3080, so I don't plan on upgrading for a few more years or so. especially if Nvidia decide to keep upselling their cards like this. I went with upgrading from a 780 to a 3090, I can wait for when there's another big jump in performance with a reasonable price.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
$1200 for a 4080.

Anyone would think that Nvidia have been watching and learning that people have been willing and able to pay $1200+ for a 3080 during the mining boom. :messenger_smirking:

kiphalfton

Best thing to do is not buy them...let nvidia stew this time for siding with miners. Then they have no option to drop the price...right?

....right?

Buys 4090 through my work...

Literally same thing happened with RTX 2000 series, right after mining took a crap in 2017. Nvidia charged way more than 1000 series. There was a bit of a price correction with the "Super" cards, and so hopefully that happens again. Not that it will really matter since mid gen refresh is a waste of money.

Unfortunately this is Nvidia inching the price up. Little by little. An 80 series for nearly $1k is a fucking joke.

Fredrik

Anyway, GPU mining is dead (this time for real, itll take years for a different minable coin to be profitable in the scale ETH was).
I know nothing about that world but I was looking at some graphs. I bet people said that crypto mining was dead in 2019 as well, correct? Then it came back stronger than ever. But you’re right that it’ll take years, going by history it’ll peak again in a couple years.

lukilladog

I know nothing about that world but I was looking at some graphs. I bet people said that crypto mining was dead in 2019 as well, correct? Then it came back stronger than ever. But you’re right that it’ll take years, going by history it’ll peak again in a couple years.

The conditions are quite a bit different, governments now have elaborated plans with plenty of excuses to put the brakes on or kill crypto mining.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Kind of, but mostly due to the price of ethereum. The situation now is different as what happened now is that ethereum deployed an update that in layman terms means no more ethereum will be mined, ever. So basically a new coin must be mined and increase in profitability, right now all minable coins end up in a net loss after electricity costs.

Fredrik

That’s not bad. I paid more than msrp for my 3080ti (by like a hundred bucks). Coming from the gpu scalper era these prices aren’t that bad. Lol
Yeah I payed $1100 for my 3070Ti 🤕

Oh well yolo it would be interesting to see where I would end up in total for a complete new setup, custom built with 4090 and a good 4K OLED.

Including a first gen gsync module modded screen my first proper gaming PC was nearly €3K with AIO water cooling and a 780Ti about 10 years ago.

I bet it would be close to $4k this time for a complete setup, the 4090 is nearly $2k where I’m at.

And here I’m stubbornly considering waiting for a PS+ Premium game-catalogue release of Ragnarök lmao 😂

Fredrik

Kind of, but mostly due to the price of ethereum. The situation now is different as what happened now is that ethereum deployed an update that in layman terms means no more ethereum will be mined, ever. So basically a new coin must be mined and increase in profitability, right now all minable coins end up in a net loss after electricity costs.
Yeah like I said I don’t know that world, just thinking that sneaky people who want to be rich without working usually finds a way

Top Bottom