• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nvidia Shield TV/Pro still powered by Tegra X1

why would I want this?

like genuinely asking. seems like a great streaming box but i just cant see what it offers me that i dont already have.

Video apps. I have an xbox one, a ps4, and chromecasts. dont need them, anything the sheild offers will probably be on par or worse than that.

Game streaming. Okay this is kinda cool. But i have a steam link already. Much cheaper too.

Plex server. I have my own dedicated media server. it runs plex to all the devices i just mentioned.

Just got a Samsung Smart TV (4K) that has apps in it, so streaming (Netflix, HBO mostly) is built right into the TV.

I also just got the Steam Link but haven't set it up yet. With a 1070, I'm hoping I can push 4K HDR from my PC to the 4K TV via the Steam Link. Yes?

I don't know what chromecast does but I think a big selling point of the Shield is Kodi. People pay decent money to get devices with Kodi installed and the Shield TV makes it as simple as can be since the Kodi app can simply be downloaded to it.

I know people use it for emulators as well. I don't know anything about those though either.

I just personally like it because it combines everything I use and it all works well (Netflix, Kodi, and Plex). You can't get Kodi on your consoles. Also I love the remote's voice search for Youtube (not sure if it works in other apps. I only use it for Youtube). It works really well.

This is where I show off how I'm an "old." What's Kodi? What's Plex?

Thraktor

This isn't entirely surprising, and when I heard they were doing a new Shield TV I wondered if they may just stick with the TX1. The main strengths of the Shield are how well it functions as a media centre, not a gaming device, and TX1 does a perfectly good job at that as it is. Plus Parker is quite specifically designed as an automotive chip, so it wouldn't make much sense to see it here.

Pascal Tegra is Nintendo exclusive
Believe

At the moment Pascal Tegra looks to be car exclusive.

LordRaptor

The main strengths of the Shield are how well it functions as a media centre, not a gaming device, and TX1 does a perfectly good job at that as it is.

The Shield is a great gaming device, it just suffers from not having much of a library supporting what it can do outside of the odd title like Doom or Revengeance, which means its main utility is as streaming box from a capable PC, which can be done much more cheaply.

kmfdmpig

They look like the same specs from last years model. Last year said X1 as well. Anyone have a side by side?

Earlier in the thread I mentioned the differences:
The Pro versions are the same, but now the remote is included in the box. The non-pro versions include the remote, but no longer have the SD card slot or the micro-usb port.

The controller is different/improved and it seems like it switched from Wi-Fi Direct to Bluetooth.

All of the software features of the new box (Android 7, Amazon Prime, and Google Home) will come to the old boxes. If you have an old box there is no compelling reason to upgrade. If you don't have one at all then the new ones are moderately more compelling unless the SD card slot or USB port is important to you.

I have a gen 1 Shield TV and have no interest in getting a new gen one, but love the device and am excited that it will have Amazon Prime and Google Home soon.

ParityBit

JThis is where I show off how I'm an "old." What's Kodi? What's Plex?

They are servers used to play movies/photos/videos. You can backup movies, put them on the HD, organize and play them. Very useful and awesome.

Set up the shield as a server and then use the Plex App from anywhere to connect and watch (tablet/phone/another TV/roku/etc)

Dreathlock

Just got a Samsung Smart TV (4K) that has apps in it, so streaming (Netflix, HBO mostly) is built right into the TV.

I also just got the Steam Link but haven't set it up yet. With a 1070, I'm hoping I can push 4K HDR from my PC to the 4K TV via the Steam Link. Yes?

This is where I show off how I'm an "old." What's Kodi? What's Plex?

Built in apps are slow. Steam link is 1080p max. No HDR.

Tablet is most likely waiting for the new Google OS.

They had an X1 tablet ready to go but it was cancelled. The FCC received a dismissal letter for the device which stated it was due to "business reasons", so it's probably part of Nvidia's contract with Nintendo in being behind the guts of a portable tablet/hybrid device like Switch.

Built in apps on my Samsung KS8000 are faster than anything I've ever used. Plus they seem to remember exactly where I left off. For example if I turn off the TV while I was watching a Youtube app, when I turn the TV on again, the Youtube app doesn't even have to load and it's exactly at the same point in the video that I left off.

Aw. The Shield TV was probably the most efficient Plex server out there due to hardware acceleration (desktop client is all on CPU), but could only do ~2 HD streams and one SD together. I had hoped for a chip update to allow more streams, would make an awesome plex server.
Apple TV?

Bioshocker

It is a little disappointing. But for what they are actually doing with this device do they really need anything more?

I was going to get a Shield TV as a nice 4K Android TV device but held off to see what they announced at CES. It is a little underwhelming, but I'll probably still get one.

I got mine last fall and I'm very happy with it. It's great to have everything I want in the same box. Well, except for games but no one should buy the Shield primarily for games.

Wag

New base version of Shield TV is the same exact thing as the old version except:

No Micro SD slot, no Micro USB port, and no IR support.

Only Nvidia calls something with less features an upgrade.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
without the ports, does that make sideloading emulators and stuff harder?

Vuze

without the ports, does that make sideloading emulators and stuff harder?
All apks I want to sideload are on my network drive and ROMs are on a SSD that I attach when I use it. Never ever used any of the ports that are missing but obviously more options are always better so I guess it doesn't hurt to scoop the OG model?

OryoN

**I know looking at the positive side of things is forbidden in Nintendo related threads, but...

This could be a good sign. Being that Nvidia and Nintendo have been working together on Swith for the last 2yrs, Nvidia may - sensibly - view Switch as a more important gaming investment. It wouldn't make sense to undermine that joint effort.

Up until this announcement, a lot of people were expecting/fearing that the new Shield would be seen as direct competition, and that Nvidia may simply go all-out with specs, while Nintendo remains conservative as usual. Nvidia just completely shut that notion down, showing absolutely no desire compete directly with Nintendo. They are contented to stay in the media sector, even shying away from graditional mobile gaming a bit.
That's interesting...

We already knew - from Nvidia's involvement in several other key aspects of the Switch's design - that this partnership with Nintendo is pretty tight. Still, this new 'turn of events' effectively may hint at a much stronger partnership than many suspected. Will this in turn translate to Nvidia making a statement by ensuring the Nintendo Switch is home to the absolute best hardware possible at X price? Maybe, maybe not. What is certain to me now, however, is that; Nvidia is really betting on this console!

**(Kidding of course, although the more negative possibilities do seem to get air quite a bit)

LordRaptor

This could be a good sign. Being that Nvidia and Nintendo have been working together on Swith for the last 2yrs, Nvidia may - sensibly - view Switch as a more important gaming investment. It wouldn't make sense to undermine that joint effort.

The problem for Nintendo isn't so much "is there a market for traditional gaming on a tablet form factor?" which remains to be proven, but i would suspect the answer is probably "yes".

It's that if the Switch proves its value there are a hundred companies lined up ready to copy it, Nvidia included.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
why would I want this?

like genuinely asking. seems like a great streaming box but i just cant see what it offers me that i dont already have.

Video apps. I have an xbox one, a ps4, and chromecasts. dont need them, anything the sheild offers will probably be on par or worse than that.

If you stream videos several hours a day you will save the price equivalent of a Shield TV in electricity costs.

Bioshocker

why would I want this?

Game streaming. Okay this is kinda cool. But i have a steam link already. Much cheaper too.

Plex server. I have my own dedicated media server. it runs plex to all the devices i just mentioned.

Can't beat that green light, though.

118597b.jpg

Portable or handheld only defeats the purpose of the Switch and makes no sense from a marketing (ie name) perspective
I was using the name as a shorthand, you're right - they wouldn't call those Switch. But the hybrid nature of the Switch allows Nintendo to create separate portable and console lines, for cheap, while using the same software and control schemes, and keep software compatibility. There won't be any Vita/Vita TV back touch controller issues.

At the moment Pascal Tegra looks to be car exclusive.
12-month timed exclusive for cars. I'll wait for the train version.

ss_lemonade

I believe Steam Streaming is coming as a native app to these new Samsung TVs, so that would kind of make the Steam Link redundant too (don't know how controls would work. Can you sync a dualshock 4 to the TV?)

While typing will always be clunky with a remote, the apps themselves work pretty well on the new Samsung sets. You even get stuff like 4k, HDR youtube and the apps can multi task and stay in the background

Inuhanyou

Question,

i am seeing 2 configurations of this device on Amazon, one for 199 and one for 299, what' the difference between the two?

SURGEdude

Question,

i am seeing 2 configurations of this device on Amazon, one for 199 and one for 299, what' the difference between the two?

Isn't the the 16GB vs 500GB versions?

Really curious to see how well Tomb Raider turns out. nVidia must be paying a hefty sum to get the games it has considering I can't imagine they sell more than a few thousand units per title. It does make the platform a ton more attractive though.

pswii60

**I know looking at the positive side of things is forbidden in Nintendo related threads, but...

Up until this announcement, a lot of people were expecting/fearing that the new Shield would be seen as direct competition, and that Nvidia may simply go all-out with specs, while Nintendo remains conservative as usual. Nvidia just completely shut that notion down, showing absolutely no desire compete directly with Nintendo. They are contented to stay in the media sector, even shying away from graditional mobile gaming a bit.
That's interesting...

We already knew - from Nvidia's involvement in several other key aspects of the Switch's design - that this partnership with Nintendo is pretty tight. Still, this new 'turn of events' effectively may hint at a much stronger partnership than many suspected. Will this in turn translate to Nvidia making a statement by ensuring the Nintendo Switch is home to the absolute best hardware possible at X price? Maybe, maybe not. What is certain to me now, however, is that; Nvidia is really betting on this console!

**(Kidding of course, although the more negative possibilities do seem to get air quite a bit)
Switch's design philosophy is completely different to Shield's though. It's ultimately all about optimal scalable resources at the lowest possible power consumption.

Grim_Reaper

Neo Member
What is the comparison to the old Nvidia Shield TV. Does it have a better GPU chip? trying to understandard what makes the price nearly £300 for the pro. I bought my pro for £150two years ago.

Inuhanyou

What is the comparison to the old Nvidia Shield TV. Does it have a better GPU chip? trying to understandard what makes the price nearly £300 for the pro. I bought my pro for £150two years ago.

From what people have told me, there's a 500GB HDD inside there and the ability to do 4K HDR, as well as an updated controller?

Otherwise it seems the same

Both 16GB and 500GB Shield TV (before it became Shield/Shield Pro this year) supported 4K and HDR too after the 3.2 firmware update and after app providers (like Netflix) started supporting it.

Seems to be largely the same as the old Shield TV, outside of the rebranding, new controller, and removal of some ports in the 16GB model. There's an optional microphone add-on as well but that probably works with the old model.

Grim_Reaper

Neo Member
Both 16GB and 500GB Shield TV (before it became Shield/Shield Pro this year) supported 4K and HDR too after the 3.2 firmware update and after app providers (like Netflix) started supporting it.

Seems to be largely the same as the old Shield TV, outside of the rebranding, new controller, and removal of some ports in the 16GB model. There's an optional microphone add-on as well but that probably works with the old model.

This is why I cannot understand why the price hike for exactly the same product.

Inuhanyou

This is why I cannot understand why the price hike for exactly the same product.

i guess money? I dunno..feels strange that they would do such a thing to me too, but they would have mentioned something about the architecture change if it was going to be more powerful i think

Celine

Microconsole sell-through in US as Novembre 2016 (source: NPD):
LTD

PSTV ~ 187.6K
OUYA ~ 67.8K
SHIELD ~ 30.5K

Shield sales are very low, better padding the profit margins on the hardware units than relying on Shield being a hit.

tim.mbp

Might replace my Fire TV with this. Google Cast and Amazon Video kind of make this a bit better deal for me.

kmfdmpig

It comes with the remote now, and the remote was always expensive ($40-60 if I remember). Aside from the controller, which looks to have been improved, the older devices are either the same or slightly better (pro is the same, 16Gb the first version is better).

Top Bottom