• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nvidia Shield TV/Pro still powered by Tegra X1

RuGalz

It's too bad that they didn't even bother to add more buttons to the remote. Amazon's remote still works the best with the unit imo.

Metfanant

Everything upto N64 works perfectly. Though I think GameCube emulates okay but haven't tried it.

I've been debating getting a Pi3, but N64 performance has been holding me back...What does the shield have that's comparable to RetroPie or Recalbox as a front end for the emulators?

Cleve

I'm having trouble finding reviews/commentary on the IQ of 1080/4k game streaming on shield.

Given that it's android and I can side load the ps4 remote play app on to it, I'd love to have a single device in my bedroom that could stream ps4 (can the android app do 1080p now? I know the pc can if you have a pro) and PC games easily as well as function as an easy/powerful media player.

Given that PC->PC streaming with steam has less artifacting than PC->steamlink, I imagine the shield will be a bit better.

I've been debating getting a Pi3, but N64 performance has been holding me back...What does the shield have that's comparable to RetroPie or Recalbox as a front end for the emulators?

It's not perfect, but Gamesome Frontend is okay. Supposedly emulationstation is being ported to android.

Some questions for anyone who uses a Shield TV with Kodi.

1) Can you set Kodi to be the default launcher so that when you hit the Home button, it'll go back to Kodi?

2) Can you do bitstream passthrough in Kodi for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA?

3) Can you map additional button inputs using a Logitech Harmony in Kodi to get additional functionality like being able to pull up the context menu?

antonz

This new version is also a lot smaller than the original Shield TV (about half the size AFAICS).

The basic Model just got its own chassis this time around. 1st Gen Shared Chassis with the HDD Model so had lots of empty wasted space. Now The Basic Edition cut out the HDD space.

suedester

Banned
Some questions for anyone who uses a Shield TV with Kodi.

1) Can you set Kodi to be the default launcher so that when you hit the Home button, it'll go back to Kodi?

2) Can you do bitstream passthrough in Kodi for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA?

3) Can you map additional button inputs using a Logitech Harmony in Kodi to get additional functionality like being able to pull up the context menu?

Yeah, you can do all three with the launcher version of SPMC.

ZOONAMI

"Hardcore" gamers comparing the two would be inevitable. And they would eat up any perceived weakness. I can see the headlines "Nintendo releases Switch using old chip tech Shield TV more powerful"

This is precisely why there may have been some sort of agreement on this.

Bad press if switch comes out and is using an older less powerful chip vs the $199 shield tv.

Cleve

Huh, somehow missed that the new 16gb is missing the sd slot, that's a bummer. I guess the USB 3.0 ports are enough.

Yeah, you can do all three with the launcher version of SPMC.

Hmm, interesting. I may finally have found a replacement for my FireTV as a Kodi/Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/HBO box. I'm going to have to research this more. I wonder if there's any reason not to switch....

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This is precisely why there may have been some sort of agreement on this.

Bad press if switch comes out and is using an older less powerful chip vs the $199 shield tv.

I don't think people care about bad press from tech enthusiasts as long as the content is there. Nintendo never cared about being weaker in specs before.

I've just got mine all setup with a 8bitdo SFC30 controller and have retroarch running the back end with Arc Browser as the front end and it all works perfectly. Think Arc is a bit better than Gamesome as it feels like it was built as an Android TV app rather than a ported mobile app.

Metfanant

It's not perfect, but Gamesome Frontend is okay. Supposedly emulationstation is being ported to android.

I've just got mine all setup with a 8bitdo SFC30 controller and have retroarch running the back end with Arc Browser as the front end and it all works perfectly. Think Arc is a bit better than Gamesome as it feels like it was built as an Android TV app rather than a ported mobile app.

I'm interested...I'd be especially interested if emulationstation was ported to Android...

Do you think the Shield is worth the price premium over a Pi3? It would be used mostly as a retro gaming machine...

The Pro might be just a little bit more than I'm willing to spend on a retro gaming device...The added storage space is nice, but I've got a couple external HDD's floating around looking for things to store on them...At $199 with what looks like a pretty quality controller I might bite

ViciousDS

Banned
It comes with the remote now, and the remote was always expensive ($40-60 if I remember). Aside from the controller, which looks to have been improved, the older devices are either the same or slightly better (pro is the same, 16Gb the first version is better).

If you got it on sale it came with the remote lol

Mine was $199 for the basic model and it included the controller and remote

Huh, somehow missed that the new 16gb is missing the sd slot, that's a bummer. I guess the USB 3.0 ports are enough.

2015 model confirmed superior

It came with a micro sd card slot

This is just fucking pathetic nvidia. Shoehorning customers to buy the 500GB version

I can get a 16GB 2015 model for $175 w/ controller but no remote. Any reason I should get the new 2017 model w/ 500GB HDD over it? One key thing that I want is the IR sensor on it, so the 16GB 2017 model is a no go.

Cleve

I can get a 16GB 2015 model for $175 w/ controller but no remote. Any reason I should get the new 2017 model w/ 500GB HDD over it? One key thing that I want is the IR sensor on it, so the 16GB 2017 model is a no go.

Looking at the specs, I can't think of one. The IR sensor and sd slot make the 2015 model far better in my books. I hear the controller is pretty good, but I already have a surplus of controllers.

Looking at the specs, I can't think of one. The IR sensor and sd slot make the 2015 model far better in my books. I hear the controller is pretty good, but I already have a surplus of controllers.

Thanks, ordered! I hope it wasn't a mistake that they were listed in stock. Everyone else seems to be out.

Inuhanyou

So when's a new upgraded gpu one coming CES 2018? Damn

Considering the sales of the Shield TV, they probably have no plans to invest in better GPU technology considering this android console is still by far the strongest on the market and will be for the forseeable future.

Hell its stronger than Switch will be by a decent margin.

Especially considering the sales, they would be burning money investing in new components any time soon.

Considering the sales of the Shield TV, they probably have no plans to invest in better GPU technology considering this android console is still by far the strongest on the market and will be for the forseeable future.

Hell its stronger than Switch will be by a decent margin.

Especially considering the sales, they would be burning money investing in new components any time soon.

This is official now right?

Finally got this new Shield TV all set up to be just like my Fire TV box and I'm in awe. I think I finally found the perfect media box that hits every box on the list of features that I need. It really fills in all the shortcomings of the Fire TV and right now I just can't think of a single thing the Fire TV has over it. The best part was I was still able to use the Fire TV remote, which is superior to the Shield remote since it has more buttons, and the microphone works too. Because of that, I was able to swap the box out, get nothing but an upgrade without any drawbacks and the family didn't even realize I did so since the main interface is the same and the remote is the same too. Loving this so far, and I wish I had discovered this perfect box sooner.

Ixian

Finally got this new Shield TV all set up to be just like my Fire TV box and I'm in awe. I think I finally found the perfect media box that hits every box on the list of features that I need. It really fills in all the shortcomings of the Fire TV and right now I just can't think of a single thing the Fire TV has over it. The best part was I was still able to use the Fire TV remote, which is superior to the Shield remote since it has more buttons, and the microphone works too. Because of that, I was able to swap the box out, get nothing but an upgrade without any drawbacks and the family didn't even realize I did so since the main interface is the same and the remote is the same too. Loving this so far, and I wish I had discovered this perfect box sooner.
Thanks for the idea! Even better, the Fire TV Stick + Remote is cheaper than the official Shield remote, haha.

I ended up picking up a first generation Shield from Craigslist yesterday; I was waiting to see how the second generation would turn out in terms of hardware before pulling the trigger. We were using an Xbox One for our media center purposes in the living room, but:
- We wanted something that was lower in power consumption; the Xbox One is definitely overkill for what we use it for.
- The Xbox One doesn't support Playstation Vue, which we probably watch as much as Netflix, if not more. We were previously Chromecasting Vue to the TV, but the phone app sucks in comparison to the Android TV/PS4 app.
- Not a fan of the Xbox One UI.
- The Shield can act as a Plex server, which means I don't need to have my beefy PC on in order to transcode media.
- Nvidia has been supporting it very well. Obviously the Xbox One and other competitors are well-supported, but given all of the other pluses the Shield has, this part seals the deal. Looks like the new software update is already hitting so I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. :) Also ordered a couple of the new controllers to take advantage of the $25 off of $100 if you use Visa Checkout at Best Buy.

I guess more people want a shield that an Xbox one

nvidia_selling_more_than_xbox_one.png

Inuhanyou

Wait I just read a article that said the original shield is getting all the "smart" of the new shield ugh an upgrade. If this is true what is the purpose of buying the new one? It is using the same processor and has the same capabilities.

its smaller, cheaper for nvidia to create with reduced components and the relaunch is a 'refresh' in a sense.

The more expensive version is 299 and has a 500GB HDD(this is the original) and the 199 version is now 16GB and much smaller.

The 199 version is the best deal by far. Basically they essentially just moved the original up to 299 with a new controller, and the new version is a cheaper better version of the original without an hDD

RuGalz

There are a couple changes to the new remote that I wasn't aware of until reading the article:

1) replaceable battery instead of internal rechargeable battery (hurray)
2) removal of 3.5mm jack
3) has IR blaster

Amazon voice remote is still better all around though.

Ixian

its smaller, cheaper for nvidia to create with reduced components and the relaunch is a 'refresh' in a sense.

The more expensive version is 299 and has a 500GB HDD(this is the original) and the 199 version is now 16GB and much smaller.

The 199 version is the best deal by far. Basically they essentially just moved the original up to 299 with a new controller, and the new version is a cheaper better version of the original without an hDD
Well, the $199 version no longer has a micro SD slot or micro USB slot, so if those are important to you...

The new controller is definitely better, though; it's also Bluetooth so you can use it wirelessly with your PC now. And it comes packaged with the remote, of course.

Would a SteelSeries XL controller be able to connect to the Shield 2015 or the Shield 2016/2017 or both?

Could see picking up the original version at a lower cost somewhere if my existing controller and a Fire TV remote would work with it.

Nick Pal

Got the 16gb version yesterday/ Really pleased with it and can't believe how ridiculously small it is.

..not much content for us Canadians so will be relying on Kodi for most stuff. Setting it up is a bit of a pain though.

neonglow

Would a SteelSeries XL controller be able to connect to the Shield 2015 or the Shield 2016/2017 or both?

Could see picking up the original version at a lower cost somewhere if my existing controller and a Fire TV remote would work with it.

It should. I'm using an ASUS bluetooth controller on my Shield 2015 right now.

xemumanic

I assume the Tegra X1 in the new Shield (and maybe the Switch, who knows) is a die shrink. That'd explain why its in the smaller case for a lower cost, if you factor they pack in both the remote (which they claim lasts a year on a charge) and controller now.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I didn't know where to put this and it's not thread worthy until some other news sources report it but there is a rumour that NSMB will launch on Nvidia Shield in China.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/824157526463840259

This was started by the fact that NSMB was just approved in China.
Supposedly there should be some kind of cooperation between Nvidia and Nintendo.

I guess we'll see.

Oregano

I didn't know where to put this and it's not thread worthy until some other news sources report it but there is a rumour that NSMB will launch on Nvidia Shield in China.

Supposedly there should be some kind of cooperation between Nvidia and Nintendo.

I guess we'll see.

I guess Nintendo is preparing to go third party already.

Oregano

On a serious note this would be a counterproductive move in terms of making Switch a success but then that goes for most of the stuff Nintendo has done recently.

I guess we'll see.

This is huge if true

why would it not be thread worthy? But I would wait for a better source

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
On a serious note this would be a counterproductive move in terms of making Switch a success but then that goes for most of the stuff Nintendo has done recently.

Depends. This is a DS game after all, I don't think it would have such a big impact on Switch.

Shield is the right compromise about having VC on Android but not reworked for the touch screen controls. Probably Apple TV could also get some.

This is huge if true

why would it not be thread worthy? But I would wait for a better source

It would be thread worthy, but you know the thread would be close without another source.

KingBroly

Banned

I guess we'll see.

I feel like this would confirm DS games coming to the Switch VC as well, considering they're likely using similar, if not the same guts.

It might just be for China, though.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
Maybe someone confused NSMB with Super Mario Run? It would be weird to have DS games running on a system that lacks touch input controls.

Bluth54

I guess we'll see.

If true I wonder how fast people are going to get it running on US Shields?

Oregano

Depends. This is a DS game after all, I don't think it would have such a big impact on Switch.

Shield is the right compromise about having VC on Android but not reworked for the touch screen controls. Probably Apple TV could also get some.

It would be thread worthy, but you know the thread would be close without another source.

True but unlike mobile this would be proper Nintendo games on another device and it's a slippery slope. Especially when Switch games would theoretically able to run natively on the Shield devices.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
True but unlike mobile this would be proper Nintendo games on another device and it's a slippery slope. Especially when Switch games would theoretically able to run natively on the Shield devices.

Only if Nvidia Shield sales get a huge up-drift.

Top Bottom