New Oboro Muramasa pics! 2D awesomeness! :o

Sep 4, 2006
14,203
0
0
Puncture said:
They are serious questions. And good questions at that. Shall we stfu and wait until we have a bit more than a snippet of a demo to try and gather these answers from? K thanks.

Let me guess, you're another one that didn't bother to read the thread too? :D
 

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
May 4, 2007
13,545
114
1,055
news flash: odin sphere was a brawler. with a cooking undertone.

those of you expecting oboro to be an rpg are setting yourselves up the bomb, some of you - for a second time.
 
Aug 28, 2008
13,377
0
0
kinggroin said:
Looked like a much prettier Dish Washer Samurai. Which is to say, repetitive and mind-numbingly simple.
The games predessor was easily the most complex action RPG to ever comeout...

SecretBonusPoint said:
Beautiful graphics but gameplay appears to manage to be even shallower than Odin Spheres :/ Was hyped, now less so. Hopefully it has a budget price so it won't matter..
In what way was Odin Sphere's gameplay "shallow"?

blu said:
news flash: odin sphere was a brawler. with a cooking undertone.
those of you expecting oboro to be an rpg are setting yourselves up the bomb, some of you - for a second time.
Odin Sphere wasn't a "brawler" at all it was a tactical action RPG how could it be a bralwer if the combat didn't work that way?...I'm really starting to suspect that a large majority of Gaf didn't play that game correctly.
 

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jun 10, 2004
27,928
0
0
Flying_Phoenix said:
Odin Sphere wasn't a "brawler" at all it was a tactical action RPG how could it be a bralwer if the combat didn't work that way?...I'm really starting to suspect that a large majority of Gaf didn't play that game correctly.
How, exactly, was the "right" way to play Odin Sphere? Perhaps this is the secret way to not have it become boring the third time you had to start over...
 
Aug 28, 2008
13,377
0
0
Kintaro said:
How, exactly, was the "right" way to play Odin Sphere? Perhaps this is the secret way to not have it become boring the third time you had to start over...
If you find it boring that's fine, but if someone played the game and found it "mindnumbingly shallow" or a "brawler" then something somewhere went wrong. It's like saying Nocturne is shallow or King of Fighters. Saying its a brawler is like calling Super Metroid a Megaman clone. You're free to think it is repetitive because I do agree that the levels did repeat far too often.

If you want me to explain further I will, because I can understand what I'm saying may sound confusing if I don't go into further detail.
 

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jun 10, 2004
27,928
0
0
Flying_Phoenix said:
If you find it boring that's fine, but if someone played the game and found it "mindnumbingly shallow" then something probably went wrong. It's like saying Nocturne is shallow or King of Fighters. You're free to think it is repetitive because I do agree that the levels did repeat far too often.

If you want me to explain my near latter comments feel free to ask.
I say go ahead and explain. The game was gorgeous, but the actual combat was pretty shallow. The potion making was interesting, but as the game became more and more repetitive, so did the potion making. It became downright annoying.
 
Sep 4, 2006
14,203
0
0
Flying_Phoenix said:
If you find it boring that's fine, but if someone played the game and found it "mindnumbingly shallow" or a "brawler" then something somewhere went wrong. It's like saying Nocturne is shallow or King of Fighters. Saying its a brawler is like calling Super Metroid a Megaman clone. You're free to think it is repetitive because I do agree that the levels did repeat far too often.

If you want me to explain my near latter comments feel free to ask.

Who the hell said Odin Sphere was mind numbingly shallow?
 
Dec 6, 2008
5,399
0
0
Odin Sphere's basic combat is pretty shallow. Go into 'ring room' kill all of the things, proceed. The gardening mechanics and fusion elements were what added the depth, albeit in a game that was stretched far too thin for far too long.

I kinda wanted them to ditch the "mini-room" concept and just make big scrolling stages, but that appears to not be the case. And with seemingly no replacement for the Gardening/Fusion elements and a 1 attack button basis and the character no longer seems to get tired making movement tactical, 'shallow' is certainly a term this game is going to have to fight to dismiss.
 
Sep 4, 2006
14,203
0
0
Flying_Phoenix said:
I'm referring to comments (and I admit may be exaggerating a bit) that I've heard before. I'm not saying you said anything.

Ah ok. Carry on then.

SecretBonusPoint said:
And with seemingly no replacement for the Gardening/Fusion elements and a 1 attack button basis and the character no longer seems to get tired making movement tactical, 'shallow' is certainly a term this game is going to have to fight to dismiss.
To quote a wise man, "Play the game first."
 
Aug 28, 2008
13,377
0
0
Kintaro said:
I say go ahead and explain. The game was gorgeous, but the actual combat was pretty shallow. The potion making was interesting, but as the game became more and more repetitive, so did the potion making. It became downright annoying.
Alright this may be a little long but here it goes. The combat was shallow because it had NOTHING to do with the actual game. In contrast it would be like saying "The Witcher's" gameplay is shallow because all you do to attack enemies is pointing and clicking. If you thought of "Odin Sphere" playing like "Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories" (GBA version) or like Guardian Heroes then you are as far and away from the game as possible. The game doesn't work by you running up and attacking the enemy and then using potions. Actually the game works completely opposite of that.

"Odin Sphere" revolved around the player observing the enemies and their patterns then forming a strategy to take them down. This is why I made the comparison toward "The Witcher" and similar games to it. In those games you have to observe the enemy and constantly observe your stats and ablities to attack your enemy in comparison to a game like Kingdom Hearts where you just concentrate in attacking first then alchemy next. So in short the game worked like this. Go to the next area. run around/look at map to see all the enemies, observe the enemies movements and form your tactics (do you lure enemies to certain locations to form chain attacks? Use alchemy to take them out? Confuse enemies so they attack each other? Start with air based enemies and work your way down?). In short the game involved you making strategys to take down enemies with a very straight forward but deep battle system, the entire game was one big real-time battle system.

And no I didn't find some secret way to play it. This IS the way you play the game. It's why the combat was so laggy (in the same way many WRPG ones were laggy) because it was meant to be played to think first and attack laster. This is why the game repeated with different characters in each chapter, because while the enemies and locations were similar the game played very different. This is why the maps were in shape of a sphere because the whole area was one giant battlemap. This is why the game had a headline map in each area only showing enemies and projectiles, so that the player can only focus on those things. This is why there were so many bottles and seeds lying around the field, because you had to use them to form your strategies. This is why you leveled by eating, because you weren't suppose to level up much in the first place because you won battles by your strategy and wit, not by your characters attack power and defense hence why leveling up was a simply gimmick. And this is also why IGN, GameTrailers, RPGamer, and all other RPG centric sites (I know IGN and GT aren't ones) highly praised the games battle system and often referring it to as heavily strategic and deep.

I am not saying that it was a flawless masterpiece, there are still some problems with it (slowdown, load times, repeating backgrounds, some times inconsistent difficulty) but I'm just saying that this game is largely misunderstood. Playing the game like a brawler would be like playing Super Metroid like Megaman or playing Shin Megami Tensei like Skies of Arcadia by not fusing demons and keeping only the first demons that you invite to your party and just grind from there, you're getting a very different experience to what the game is actually suppose to offer. That saying it seems that only Gaf, 1up, and SRK are the only forum sites I've seen this game get heavy criticized on. Every other site just say it as another quality game (just found that odd.) Was the game like hyped to hell or something on here for being something else? Because I haven't been on Gaf that long.
 
May 17, 2008
4,578
0
0
Game has a really nice look to it.

After watching some videos, I can't help noticing the flashing X button on the bottom of the screen. Is this Wii only or are there other versions being made?
 
Nov 13, 2007
3,837
0
0
comedy bomb said:
Game has a really nice look to it.

After watching some videos, I can't help noticing the flashing X button on the bottom of the screen. Is this Wii only or are there other versions being made?
It could be the classic controller being used, I'd guess.
 
Jan 5, 2008
16,585
0
0
cw_sasuke said:
New exklusive Gameplay Trailer - looks awesome MMV/Vanillaware FTW. It's from the TGS 08 Build but still :)

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/23128
I was...speechless :eek:

Except for "Holy shit, I think I just fucking came!" OOOOOOOMG!!! This looks absolutely incredible! I was half-expecting and half-hoping that the giant octopus (Kraken?) would show up at the end...what teases....:D
 
Flying_Phoenix said:
By the 7th hour you've already exhausted whatever depth Odin Sphere had. Once you've learned all the tricks and started with your next character you realize that the enemy hasn't gotten any new tricks to keep up. Even if you keep it restrained to those first six hours you're still looking at a very basic assortment of flying enemies, ground enemies, tweeners, mid-bosses(which tend to have the same patterns despite looking wildly different), and of course the bosses which boil down to: 1. look for an opening. 2. Do a bunch of combos. 3. Run to the other side of the map to dodge whatever it is they're doing. Repeat.

Hopefully things change with Oboro but I think I used up all of those hopes back when I was looking forward to OS.
 
Feb 2, 2006
5,327
1
0
36
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I don't know, I thought Odin Sphere remained interesting enough throughout, even if the character abilities didn't change that much. The fairy that could fly forever, and had ammo rather than POW and could charge up homing shots was probably the most unique amongst the fighters. But the other characters were fun and had interesting stories, I thought. Interesting enough to keep my interest until the end.

Muramasa on the other hand doesn't concern itself with that many characters, so I assume the game will be shorter and more like 10-15 hours rather than 50 hours.
 
Aug 28, 2008
13,377
0
0
PepsimanVsJoe said:
By the 7th hour you've already exhausted whatever depth Odin Sphere had. Once you've learned all the tricks and started with your next character you realize that the enemy hasn't gotten any new tricks to keep up. Even if you keep it restrained to those first six hours you're still looking at a very basic assortment of flying enemies, ground enemies, tweeners, mid-bosses(which tend to have the same patterns despite looking wildly different), and of course the bosses which boil down to: 1. look for an opening. 2. Do a bunch of combos. 3. Run to the other side of the map to dodge whatever it is they're doing. Repeat.

Hopefully things change with Oboro but I think I used up all of those hopes back when I was looking forward to OS.
That was the reason why they gave you different characters though. Nearly all the characters had to fight the bosses and enemies in a completely different manner and use very different tactics to defeat them. I'd definitely agree if you played as Gwendolyn during the entire game, but you didn't. As for your 3 courses that isn't right at all. You have to look at the game much much bigger (Combos? What?). You are suppose to strategize through the enemies locations and plan a strategy using the map. You don't just run toward any enemy and hit it, run away as far as you can, and hit it again until it dies. It's like saying Street Fighter doesn't have much depth to last awhile because all you do is zone, attack the enemy, block whatever they have, and repeat there is far more to it then that. If that's all your doing then well you're dodging the blocks, coins, and goombas.

PolyGone said:
I don't know, I thought Odin Sphere remained interesting enough throughout, even if the character abilities didn't change that much. The fairy that could fly forever, and had ammo rather than POW and could charge up homing shots was probably the most unique amongst the fighters. But the other characters were fun and had interesting stories, I thought. Interesting enough to keep my interest until the end.

Muramasa on the other hand doesn't concern itself with that many characters, so I assume the game will be shorter and more like 10-15 hours rather than 50 hours.
Yeah. While I don't think that Odin Sphere overstayed its welcome as many say it was a tad long for what it was. Atlus games tend to suffer from massive overplay syndrome. Though the quality of their games more then make up for it IMO.
 
Feb 26, 2007
34,619
1
0
Wow, that looks amazing. It doesn't say in the OP, and I haven't read through the thread, what platform is this aesthetically stunning little treat on?
 
Dec 5, 2008
6,673
0
0
Sweden/Finland
Davidion said:
IS it being localized in NA?

I sure hope so, those shots are just so aesthetically gorgeous.
Yep, it will be localized in both NA (XSEED) and EU (Rising Star Games). There is no specific launch date but it will be out in 2009.

... AND HOLY SHIT @ New pics O_O Looks so good.
 
Jun 6, 2004
6,612
0
1,495
41
New York City
www.fort90.com
Please God let the Japanese box art carry over...

I'm trying to recall those of previous XSEED releases and am drawing a blank. To totally butcher it for "American sensibilites" has always been questionable, but in this case, it would be downright criminal (as well as laughably counter-productive).