• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Oboro Muramasa pics! 2D awesomeness! :o

Azure J

king zell said:

clappe2.gif

Haunted

Looks absolutely fantastic. This shot up my most wanted list after finally playing Odin Sphere recently.

And is it just me, or does it look like the animation quality is significantly improved from OS? So awesome.

Great boxart , too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
CiSTM said:
I think VanillaWare has pretty strong support in japan. I'm not talking about million sales but 70k first week is guaranteed if my memory serves me right.

Odin Sphere - 60k first week to 95k lifetime
Grim Grimoire - 14k first week to 36k lifetime
Princess Crown PSP - 11k first week to 22k lifetime
Princess Crown Saturn - <75k lifetime

Azure J

Stumpokapow said:
Odin Sphere - 60k first week to 95k lifetime
Grim Grimoire - 14k first week to 36k lifetime
Princess Crown PSP - 11k first week to 22k lifetime
Princess Crown Saturn - <75k lifetime

Ouch. :(

It sucks to hear that games that look this fun and interesting bomb so badly often. I just hope that this one will be the exception, it deserves it for effort alone.

Threi

notag
This game, is without a doubt the most gorgeous looking game this generation by miles.

Bravo MMV, bravo.

This game shot way up on my hype list :O

wrowa

Stormbringer said:
Oh, but the price is not the issue here (it's probably going to be cheaper at launch than most Euro games). It's just that, not being a fluent Japanese reader, I typically don't import potentially story-intensive games such as RPG/Action-RPG from Japan to avoid missing out on any tiny bit of the story, and this is especially the case when the game is guaranteed to come out over here in the future. Of course, not being able to understand every bit of the story rarely detracts from my enjoyment of most import games, but I tend to be strict about getting the most out of my games, so I'd rather wait for a Western release when I have the choice.
As I said though, it looks pretty amazing, and I might just be tired of waiting one day and get it from import on a whim :lol . Guess I'll see about that.
Rising Star needs your money! ;)
People should really start to support them more. RSG is more or less the only niche publisher in Europe, without our help they can never grow up to be a european Atlus or XSeed. ;(
Okay, they actually are something like the european XSeed – a very slow version of XSeed.

Haunted said:
And is it just me, or does it look like the animation quality is significantly improved from OS? So awesome.
Most definitely. OS excelled in art and sprite manipulation but the animation seemed held back by the hardware. This game looks much smoother with some sprites that look 4X as big as anything in OS. Maybe some of the vid is sped up but if Vanillaware really has this game running this well with all of that spritework and animation then all I can say is *bow*

wrowa said:
People should really start to support them more. RSG is more or less the only niche publisher in Europe, without our help they can never grow up to be a european Atlus or XSeed. ;(
Okay, they actually are something like the european XSeed – a very slow version of XSeed.
Yep, and of course, it's also because I want to support RSG. :D

ultim8p00

Banned
TunaLover said:

Yeah I know. How can you think that boxart is terrible. The ninjas are on the side, not the middle, and there's like a big Orange-looking sun in the middle top with all these creamy looking colors all over the place. The ninjas have their blades out so it's like they were slicing you some fucking awesome ninja cheesecake or something. Man, I really really like that boxart.

CiSTM

Banned
wrowa said:

Rising Star Games > XSeed.

http://www.risingstargames.com/games.asp

Hmm looks like a more action oriented Odin Sphere. Which is kind of a let down but then again I guess I should actually wait to play the game to make my judgement.

Regulus Tera said:
please don't suck :(

Why would it?

abstract alien said:
Please have substance...PLEASE HAVE IT!!!!

Why wouldn't it? Odin Sphere and Grimgrimore both had a lot of substance despite looking simple in play style.

AzureJericho said:
Ouch. :(

It sucks to hear that games that look this fun and interesting bomb so badly often. I just hope that this one will be the exception, it deserves it for effort alone.

Princess Crown was a PSP port of a successful Saturn game.

Odin Sphere broke the 400,000 mark. Hence why it's a Greatest Hits game.

Saint Gregory said:
Most definitely. OS excelled in art and sprite manipulation but the animation seemed held back by the hardware. This game looks much smoother with some sprites that look 4X as big as anything in OS. Maybe some of the vid is sped up but if Vanillaware really has this game running this well with all of that spritework and animation then all I can say is *bow*

Yeah people complained about Odin Sphere's animation (which was on par with other games but not that great) but you have to realize that the game was very taxing on the PS2 (hence the slowdowns and load times). The Wii seems to have the extra oomph that Vanillaware needs and now that they can get a bigger budget, as Odin Sphere proved that 2D can still sell) the graphics in this game should go far. I'm still pretty hesitant of the game moving more toward Ninja Gaiden then Tactical Action. Then again as I've said before it is best for me to wait until I've played the game.

Also while I didn't mind the repetitive backdrops and enemies as much as most did (as with different characters different strategies were needed to take on different enemies. They were rather unpreferable.)

4535506300928_21.jpg

30.jpg

Now I know that this is only one shot and being that there are 2 characters instead of 4 it won't be as annoying as it was in Odin Sphere but it's still pretty preferable from my point.

epmode

Flying_Phoenix said:
Why would it?
Don't be coy.

Quite a few people (myself included) feel that Odin Sphere, in spite of its omfg2d art, was about on par with self-mutilation.

This looks about as rad as Odin Sphere did before I tried it. So: "Please don't suck"

epmode said:
Don't be coy.

Quite a few people (myself included) feel that Odin Sphere, in spite of its omfg2d art, was about on par with self-mutilation.

This looks about as rad as Odin Sphere did before I tried it. So: "Please don't suck"

What? How exactly was Odin Sphere "self-mutilation" or "sucked"? I mean I could understand if you said "it wasn't for you" but "sucked" or "mutilated"? Those are pretty strong words. I mean I don't like Bioshock but I didn't think it "sucked" just that it was "overhyped" or "not for me". "Suck" is like Far Cry Vengence for the Wii or Hour of Victory for the 360.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Flying_Phoenix said:
Why would it?

Because, after Fragile, I don't want to get hyped about a Wii game solely for the presentation. Gameplay looks awesome so far, I have to say.

Never played Odin Sphere, however.

Regulus Tera said:
Because, after Fragile, I don't want to get hyped about a Wii game solely for the presentation. Gameplay looks awesome so far, I have to say.

Me too, Fragile looked awesome until the gameplay impressions starts rooling in, now it became a maybe more than day one :(

This looks amazing :O I really hope it plays as it looks...

Ranger X

Odin Sphere bored me to death level design wise and so far there's no proof this game won't bore me for the exact same reason.

Graphics are phenomenal but this game better feels like a brawler (where level design is less important and mostly flat) because if it's anything other than that it will be another bore.

Joule

Flying_Phoenix said:
Hmm looks like a more action oriented Odin Sphere. Which is kind of a let down but then again I guess I should actually wait to play the game to make my judgement.

How is it a let down exactly? Tactically I'd imagine it'd be very similar to OS.

KTallguy

Banned
I hope it has more depth than Odin Sphere.

Half the length, twice the substance, and stages that are more varied would really make my day.

I also selfishly wish for co-op :p

PolyGone

Banned
I see some people dissing Odin Sphere... I liked it... but whatever... these games are worth buying for the artwork alone. If you don't like the gameplay just think of the game as an interactive art book.

Joule said:
How is it a let down exactly? Tactically I'd imagine it'd be very similar to OS.

Odin Sphere was more so about zoning, execution, and alchemy. This looks much more actiony. Then again it could just be the same as Odin Sphere but a different way of doing it. Guilty Gear to Street Fighter in a way. Like instead of zoning and alchemy it would be chaining, execution, and magic.

I'm just worried that this game just turns into a button masher. Then again following the common ground really isn't Vanillaware's style as they usually like to experiment with already give genres.

People didn't like Odin Sphere because it was either too different from what they were use to or they didn't understand how to play it (people are saying that OS lacked depth and substance? Seriously?).

I even admit that if you didn't read the tutorials the game told you to read in the begining you started off roughly.

C.T. said:
Grim Grimoire gets way to less love.

There was a very good LTTP thread not too long ago. It wasn't my cup of tea but I could tell lit was a pretty good game.

EDIT - Here's the thread.

Regulus Tera said:

Fragile plays bad?

I'm not in Japan nor do I import so I'm not sure how good or bad it is. Disappointing if it was overhyped.

But I do agree getting hyped for a series you haven't tried is the best way to go.

To describe Odin Sphere best would be like combining an action-RPG battle system with a setting of Advanced Wars. It's like the whole map is one big battle field where you need to use strategy and tactics to defeat enemies and move on. It definitely isn't for everyone. If you favor RPG's that are more exploration heavy and are consistent story progressing like say Final Fantasy it really isn't for you. Just go back a page as I explain everything about Odin Sphere to a poster. Though this does look to play a tad different then Odin Sphere.

Nicko

*Jaw drops to floor*

EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME IS UTTERLY AMAZING!!!

That was seriously the most beautiful vid I HAVE EVER SEEN!

I am going to buy freaking 5+ copies of this game for sure.

GOD I HOPE IT DOES WELL!!!!!

Ranger X

PolyGone said:
I see some people dissing Odin Sphere... I liked it... but whatever... these games are worth buying for the artwork alone. If you don't like the gameplay just think of the game as an interactive art book.

This would be impossible to me. With an artbook it's ok because I just turn the page. With Odin's Sphere I have some gameplay between each "page". Not good.

Joule

Flying_Phoenix said:
Odin Sphere was more so about zoning, execution, and alchemy. This looks much more actiony. Then again it could just be the same as Odin Sphere but a different way of doing it. Guilty Gear to Street Fighter in a way. Like instead of zoning and alchemy it would be chaining, execution, and magic.

I'm just worried that this game just turns into a button masher. Then again following the common ground really isn't Vanillaware's style as they usually like to experiment with already give genres.

People didn't like Odin Sphere because it was either too different from what they were use to or they didn't understand how to play it (people are saying that OS lacked depth and substance? Seriously?).

I even admit that if you didn't read the tutorials the game told you to read in the begining you started off roughly.

From what I've seen of Oboro, it seems that chaining, effective movement (zoning), blocking and hit-stun understanding will be principles in the game which is pretty the same as in OS. The presentation is faster than OS but to me it seems like it'll play out the same. Kind of like Street Fighter pace -> Guilty Gear pace. In that way the active battle portion of the game should potentially carry the same depth if not more in the case of Oboro. As for the preparation parts, (item creation/alchemy/weapon upgrade/whatever) it has yet to be seen or really described.

While I acknowledge OS has substance I wouldn't say it's all that deep. The zoning remained fairly simple throughout the game. Much of the substance in battle was understanding hit stun for the various enemies and capitalizing on safe approaches when the enemy can be effectively stunned. Alchemy/Farming was pretty rudimentary as to what you could do with it and the usual preparation for bosses/stages didn't change very much from character to character.

The differences between characters felt a little lacking for the most part with exception to Mercedes. There wasn't enough to really distinguish the other characters as being different from the rest. This was especially true in terms of Psyher Skills which I thought had a little too much overlap.

Without really going into the flaws of OS any further, my thoughts are that OS laid down a foundation with a lot of potential to be improved in the next game of the same type. If they can increase the amount of options the player has as well as the variation of enemies, bosses and environments they would have a potentially much better game.

Joule said:
From what I've seen of Oboro, it seems that chaining, effective movement (zoning), blocking and hit-stun understanding will be principles in the game which is pretty the same as in OS. The presentation is faster than OS but to me it seems like it'll play out the same. Kind of like Street Fighter pace -> Guilty Gear pace. In that way the active battle portion of the game should potentially carry the same depth if not more in the case of Oboro. As for the preparation parts, (item creation/alchemy/weapon upgrade/whatever) it has yet to be seen or really described.

Well it seems that this game uses less emphasis on zoning but I do agree with the rest of what you said. And again all I've seen of this game is the trailer.

Joule said:
While I acknowledge OS has substance I wouldn't say it's all that deep. The zoning remained fairly simple throughout the game. Much of the substance in battle was understanding hit stun for the various enemies and capitalizing on safe approaches when the enemy can be effectively stunned. Alchemy/Farming was pretty rudimentary as to what you could do with it and the usual preparation for bosses/stages didn't change very much from character to character.

The differences between characters felt a little lacking for the most part with exception to Mercedes. There wasn't enough to really distinguish the other characters as being different from the rest. This was especially true in terms of Psyher Skills which I thought had a little too much overlap.

I really don't mean to put myself in the perspective that I'm saying Odin Sphere is one of the deepest games of all-time. I don't mean to imply that it gives Silent Storm or Guilty Gear a run for it. I meant to say that the game definitely isn't shallow and has a significant amount of depth (as described by RPG specific site reviews). However stating that it is "deep" is controversial as "deep" means different things to people.

Also I do disagree with some of what you say. The zoning usually tied into manipulating the positions of enemies, depending on the tactic the player set out. And I thought that Mercedes, Gwendolyn, and Velvet all played fairly differently.

Though I am aware of the games faults. While those 3 were fairly different the other 2 felt kind of pointless. The Pooka just felt too run-of-the-mill as a power guy where you'd just reuse his spin attack over and over. And do I REALLY need to even get started with the Shadow Knight (I forgot his name). I mean really he was easily the most useless character of the 4. I'm not sure what you mean by stunning enemies, though my memory of the game isn't that fresh since it's been a while since I've played it.

Also I was really disappointed with the magic skills as you were. They were pointless most of the time and didn't mesh well with the character.

Joule said:
Without really going into the flaws of OS any further, my thoughts are that OS laid down a foundation with a lot of potential to be improved in the next game of the same type. If they can increase the amount of options the player has as well as the variation of enemies, bosses and environments they would have a potentially much better game.

I agree with this. While I enjoyed Odin Sphere highly it definitely had it's faults. Though it was obvious why. I mean it was something that wasn't really done before that practically created a new genre. I mean by my memory Street Fighter 1 and the original Alone in the Dark were all good and fun games (for their time at least) but didn't really nail what the developers were trying to do until the sequel or when someone else stepped in and took their place. I am aware of what Odin Sphere tried to do, but it just didn't quite reach "it" in terms of the gameplay potential. Hopefully Muramasa will reach that point and nail down the new Tactical Action Role Playing Game genre.

FoxSpirit

Regulus Tera said:

B..b..b..b..b..b.. but this could also be on more consoles... or the PC!! This looks like it would be sooo perfect!!
I have no newgen systems because they haven't really pulled me away from my PC with anything yet

FoxSpirit said:
B..b..b..b..b..b.. but this could also be on more consoles... or the PC!! This looks like it would be sooo perfect!!
I have no newgen systems because they haven't really pulled me away from my PC with anything yet
Good man :lol

Top Bottom